daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM   #461
paul62
Yonner

Likes (Received): 25800

The Bridge across the River Mersey is the crossing from Widnes (right) to Runcorn (left) in Cheshire. The cooling towers towards the bottom left of centre is Fiddlers Ferry Power Station in Warrington / Widnes.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_6417 by 600West218, on Flickr

You can see Fiddlers Ferry from as far away as the hills of Saddleworth on clear days
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7990342101/

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...e=3&highlight=
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1553917&page=4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Jubilee_Bridge
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiddler..._power_station

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by paul62; December 24th, 2012 at 07:58 PM.
paul62 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #462
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Thanks for the info.

And of course that is the Manchester Ship canal immediately above the Mersey, yes?

It is amazing to see how close it comes to the Mersey in spots. I'm sure it is further away when seen from the ground but from the air it looks like the Mersey will probably eat its way into the canal at some point in the future and that will be the end of the canal.

When I go back I definitely want to do the day cruise from Liverpool to Manchester.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:48 PM   #463
The Economist
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Dan, thanks for a wonderful thread. I just spend 1.5 hours looking at it. Thankfully most responses were not so moronic as in other threads. I am from and in London and visit these cities quite regularly in my work, sometime spending weeks at a time. I had to assess them for clients at one time, which is why I, and many others, predict Liverpool will rise above the rest. Once the Credit Crunch is over Liverpool should attract more investment and expand. Some points I picked up on...

1. Liverpool has icon buildings which stand out while Leeds and Manchester have none. Recently Manchester built that tall tower which is a landmark more than iconic. Many older buildings In Liverpool, are superior to London's older iconic buildings. We have nothing like the Anglican cathedral in scale. St. George's Hall and the Port Authority buildings speak for themselves and London would love to have them.
2. In Leeds & Manchester you have to go and find the good bits as you did. But they are there. The best of Leeds and Manchester is old industrial buildings, which in Liverpool is mainly commercial buildings.
3. Manchester tends to be red brick Victorian buildings which tend to have a lot of sameness about them. The placing of cheapish ordinary modern buildings next to old does the city no good.
4. Leeds is like Manchester but tends to have more stone buildings which are more attractive when cleaned.
6. The Manchester Ship Canal was built because of high rail charges not high port cost at Liverpool.
7. Manchester is not bigger than Liverpool. In fact the three cities are about the same size. Piccadilly station in Manchester is big because Liverpool put its local routes underground in the Merseyrail diverting them away from terminal stations. Liverpool demolished 2 or 3 large rail terminal stations in the 1970s, Birkenhead lost one.
8. You are right, cities the size of Manchester and Leeds should have their own underground rail networks, and not trams. Leeds does not even have trams, what have the city council been doing for decades? This fact is shameful for the UK. I find Leeds a pain to get around as there is only buses, hence why I get irritated with the city. I have to take taxis. I get irritated with Liverpool as there is no direct line from the underground station at Lime St to the business quarter. How dumb not to put one in! Where they trying discourage business? Apart from that obvious oversight Liverpool and around is easy to get around on the underground rail network.
9. Liverpool does have a Victorian shopping arcade near the town hall in the big white stone 1930s office building nearby. I was taken there. You have go into the building. I never knew they have one not used hidden away. A must-do project to get it used again.
10. The very first glass curtain wall metal framed buildings were in Liverpool. You missed them. I am sure you walked past them. One is by the town hall.
11. St.George's Hall in Liverpool was the world's first air-conned building.
12. Liverpool has DOCKS. The quays are the land next to the docks where the ship berths. In the UK a docks is a locked in water body. In the US it can be a pier
13. The 1830 Liverpool to Manchester railways was the first proper all inclusive passenger railway. You rode on it. The Stockton-Darlington was partially horse-drawn and predominantly a coal line. The Lpool-Mcr railway had a timetable, tickets, proper stations, and all steam driven. The precursor of all passenger rail networks.
14. Liverpool Rd station in Manchester is the oldest surviving rail "terminal". The other stations on the Lpool-Mcr railway are older by minutes.
15. The Mersey is brown because of the sand churned up by the strong currents.
16. The industrial Revolution did not start in Manchester. It never really started anywhere however consensus states that Ironbridge in Shopshire was the place, which was soon pushed to one side by Birmingham. Ironbridge is must visit place.
17. Manchester was the worlds first manufacturing city. Sadly it is trying to discard its roots and step into Liverpool's shoes as commercial city.
18. Charring Cross hosp in London has a reception behind secure glass and speaks to you via a microphone, because London has more drug crazed idiots.
19. These three cities you visited give better image of the UK. London is 45% white British now so unrepresentative.
20. Wakefield is town, not city.
21. The UK is not short of land as only about 10% is built on. The planning system deliberately hypes up house and land prices citing Greenbelt and the rest. This because most of the land is owned by a few people, mainly aristocrats who view the countryside as their own private estate.
The Economist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:08 PM   #464
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

One more post and you'll be back to Land Value Taxation. I'll ignore the trolling, but it must be pointed out that Wakefield is a city, not a town.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:51 PM   #465
The Economist
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN View Post
One more post and you'll be back to Land Value Taxation. I'll ignore the trolling, but it must be pointed out that Wakefield is a city, not a town.
I'll ignore your stupidity. If you want a thread on land value tax start another thread. This thread has been good so far but there is always one or two and he has come out of his hole. You are right Wakefield is a "officially" a city" but town in size. The UK has a rather silly way of assessing a city. The smallest has a handful of people.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:54 PM   #466
The Economist
BANNED

The coal for Fiddlers Ferry comes in by rail from Liverpool Docks not far away. Looking at this photo, a lay-by could be cut into the canal and a narrow and short tunnel bored under the river. Then ships can get right next to the power station and the coal directly taken to the station by conveyor belt under the river. That must cut transport costs. I read that Fiddlers Ferry is to convert to wood pellets from coal, imported from the southern US to reduce costs and pollution. These pellets are sucked out of holds and can be taken directly from the ships and stored on the Fiddlers Ferry side of the river.

It looked on Google and the Sankey Canal is looks like it is filled in, in front of the Fiddlers Ferry power station. What an act of vandalism by the authorities. The canal dates from 1757.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankey_Canal

Last edited by The Economist; January 3rd, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old June 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #467
AmoreUrbs

Likes (Received): 4322

Thanks for this thread.. I've always been curious about industrial places, they have a certain "charm" about them.. I can see many similarities with the panorama of industrial Belgium and Northwestern France, they use very similar architecture on their industrial outskirts, especially the use of terraced houses etc.
AmoreUrbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote