daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #141
chase_me

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joydivison82
Doesn't always rain in Manchester at all There are a lot wetter places.

Pure blue sky here at the moment.

Did you get down to Salford Quays on your travels? Some stunning views there, although its nearly all post 1990.
Yes he did, he went the IWMN
chase_me no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #142
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Don't think I made it to Worsely, or even knew about it. This whole question of where the Industrial Revolution "all kicked off" is a bit controversial. Different people tell you different things.

At MOSI they told me it was the Ancoats area of Manchester, so I did go there. But people in Sheffield told me of some small town outside there that lays claim to the title.

I think it happened in a lot of places within a short time frame.

In Manchester I explored the center pretty thouroughly, a bit of the south, the university area, the Quays, and Ancoats which is on the fringe of the center.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #143
Londonladinleeds
BANNED

When can we expect Leeds 600West??
Londonladinleeds no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #144
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

@ 600West.

You mentioned the "typical English garden" earlier on in this thread. I think this may be of interest to you to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_garden

Just another example of an English trait spreading around the world.

Last edited by LondonFox; November 4th, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #145
600West218

You'll start seeing Leeds this weekend. I am trying to cover one day of the trip in each post and doing one post per day. I spent two full days in Manchester, which I still have to post on, and then split a day between Manchester and Leeds after that. You you should start seeing Leeds by Sunday at the latest, and possibly sooner if I speed up over the weekend :-)
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #146
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
@ 600West.

You mentioned the "typical English garden" earlier on in this thread. I think this may be of interest to you to read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_garden

Just another example of an English trait spreading around the world.
ok, I didn't see any of those types of gardens. Pretty amazing. It was, however, very notable how nicely middle class people kept whatever little green area they had around their home. Obviously, a lot of work goes into it.

One very interesting thing I did see in Leeds and Sheffield were the allotments and that will definitely appear in a post.
Old November 4th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #147
600West218

BTW, of areas I missed the one that most bothered me was Wigan. I of course read "The Road to Wigan Pier" by Orwell many years ago and liked it very much. But I heard there isn't much left there, and little for a visitor to see so I didn't go.
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #148
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
It was, however, very notable how nicely middle class people kept whatever little green area they had around their home. Obviously, a lot of work goes into it.

There is a saying... "An Englishman's home is his castle".
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #149
kids

Likes (Received): 175

Quote:
Don't think I made it to Worsely, or even knew about it. This whole question of where the Industrial Revolution "all kicked off" is a bit controversial. Different people tell you different things.

At MOSI they told me it was the Ancoats area of Manchester, so I did go there. But people in Sheffield told me of some small town outside there that lays claim to the title.

In Manchester I explored the center pretty thouroughly, a bit of the south, the university area, the Quays, and Ancoats which is on the fringe of the center.
The idea that the industrial revolution was someone's idea and was 'born' somewhere simplifies the very complex circumstances that gave rise to it. Of course you could name dozens of combining factors but from what I've read manufacture going industrial essentially happened because of unemployment/economic strife amongst a sufficiently vast, skilled and concentrated mass of people. This shift had been brewing for centuries all over England. Even in the 16th Century traditional manufacturing centres like York were starting to be taken over by towns like Manchester.

In defining where the first manufacturing took place on an industrial scale there are loads of definitions. What amount of workers defines a factory, for instance?
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #150
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 43385

Quote:
BTW, of areas I missed the one that most bothered me was Wigan. I of course read "The Road to Wigan Pier" by Orwell many years ago and liked it very much. But I heard there isn't much left there, and little for a visitor to see so I didn't go.
There was, at one point in time, a living history museum on the site of Wigan Pier - which was a very interesting day out; unfortunately, I believe it has now closed - Great shame!!!
openlyJane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #151
Londonladinleeds
BANNED

A thread exists on here about it......

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=200714
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #152
Londonladinleeds
BANNED

I've just been walking around Leeds city centre this lunchtime, when you lift your head up the number of beautiful edwardian, georgian and victorian buildings is amazing!

Did you see this building?

http://www.leodis.org/imagesLeodis/s...8_47913760.jpg

I heard that it was a pre-cursor to the Flatiron Building in NYC?
Old November 4th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #153
600West218

Very interesting. I don't recall seeing it. It sure does look like the Flatiron building. But it may be hidden among other buildings now. I'll keep an eye out for it in the pictures.

The weekend is here - Greek Street will be busy. Wow, was it interesting seeing that place in full swing on a Friday and Saturday night :-)
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #154
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 236

I love this thread.

Also love the idea of China towns. Sheffield needs one.
Old November 4th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #155
Londonladinleeds
BANNED

Quote:
Very interesting. I don't recall seeing it. It sure does look like the Flatiron building. But it may be hidden among other buildings now. I'll keep an eye out for it in the pictures.

The weekend is here - Greek Street will be busy. Wow, was it interesting seeing that place in full swing on a Friday and Saturday night :-)
You walk down Lower Briggate and over The Calls........there are loads of lovely building down there, it's next to the Tetley's Brewery.......which has just closed down sadly!

Yes, Greek Street will be very busy tonight! As will Call Lane, that is the heart of Leeds independent bar scene, along with Merrion Street.
Old November 4th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #156
VoldemortBlack
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

Did you manage to check out the Manchester Museum on Oxford Road in Brunswick? (South Central)
VoldemortBlack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #157
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 790

Great photos of Manchester. Love the canals and the warehouses!
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #158
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
I guess there are people like that but just thinking of all the people I know for example I doubt there is anybody who hasn't been to London, 90% have visited Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool at some point as they are close, most will have to Leeds, Sheffield, Bristol, Edinburgh, Cardiff etc at least once. Also smaller tourist cities like York, Chester, Cambridge, Bath etc are well known and coastal cities like Brighton and Bournemouth are visited a lot.

Maybe fewer have been to places like Nottingham or Plymouth or Swansea but still many have. Cities like Aberdeen and Belfast are probably the least commonly visited by people here.
Down here in London I disagree with you, I've never been to Manchester, Liverpool or Birmingham. (I've seen Birmingham and Manchester though but never stopped, a few times) I think that most people here have probably been to one but not all. In fact the only other major places I've been to in the UK are Edinburgh and Belfast. I've been to a few mid-size places like Portsmouth and Leicester. Then again I've only had a few years thus far, I'm only in 6th form.

Unfortunately I have to agree with other posters that for me, north of Hemel Hampstead is like another country, and I do say this with shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Anyway, more great photos, I'm glad Manchester grew on you after a while. Personally I really like the combination of old and new though I guess if you've come to see old then the new isn't what you want to see.

Regarding cows, there are millions in the UK and I don't think any fresh milk is imported. It's just that the hilly, upland areas of northern England you travelled through are more suited to sheep farming.
Yes, 600, there are lots of cows in the UK, at least in the South East.

The commentary and the photos are great! Very interesting.

In London the buses do have glass (plastic glass) but I highly doubt that they're bullet proof. Recently I got on Surrey buses and First Berkshire buses (in and out the outskirts of London) and they didn't have the plastic and I was quite surprised. Something else too, you can't lock buses here, they're openable from the outside.

I also find it quite funny how you think that the former British Rail is really good, because people here love to complain about it (a bit unfairly I think)
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #159
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 6823

It's better that way,it means we can keep the Lake District,Snowdonia National Park and the Yorkshire Dales to ourselves.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #160
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Unfortunately I have to agree with other posters that for me, north of Hemel Hampstead is like another country, and I do say this with shame
Hang on, in the paragraph before you just said the only city in the North you've been to is Edinburgh.

Nice to see you're basing your opinions on experience...
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote