daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2016, 04:47 AM   #2021
saiho

Likes (Received): 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
If you build it, they will come.

I am trying to think of a subway station that has not seen major growth since first opened.
Um. Most of the stations along the Bloor-Danforth Line have not seen major growth. All stations apart from Scarborough Town Center (where growth was going to happen SRT or not as it was government backed) on the SRT have not seen major growth. Only the Yonge University Line fits the bill with most stations attracting major growth. However even on that line you have the York Mills, Wilson, Lawrence West, Dupont, Downsview, etc who have not seen much growth and increase in density. I'm all for transit expansion but poor capital expansion prioritization does not give you an excuse to hedge bets on urban development which may or may not materialize.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2016, 05:34 AM   #2022
Ontario1

Likes (Received): 1

A photo of the first LRV leaving the Thunder Bay factory for testing in Kingston. Exciting to see what will be running on Eglinton in a few short years!

Isn't Metrolinx cancelling the contract for these? Maybe these will end up in Kitchener-Waterloo instead.
Ontario1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 03:09 PM   #2023
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18136

14 years ago the subway line to nowhere opened
On Nov. 22, 2002, Sheppard subway line was born, the first new Toronto subway line in almost 40 years.
Toronto Star Excerpt
Nov. 22, 2016

Sheppard Subway Train by Wiley Wolf, on Flickr

On Nov. 22, 2002 at 11:00 a.m. a train carrying Ontario Premier Ernie Eves, Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman, Transport Canada Minister David Collenette and TTC Chair Betty Disero broke through a banner across the track at Don Mills station, officially opening the Sheppard subway line.

Following the inaugural ride, there was a public open house, and the public was able to ride the new Line 4 free of charge while enjoying entertainment provided by bands and performing arts students. There were also gifts handed out, including complimentary tote bags.

Toronto’s first new subway line since 1966, the Sheppard line cost around $1 billion to construct and took 7 and a half years to build.

It was Toronto’s first fully accessible subway line with elevators at every station and was the first subway in Canada constructed entirely by tunnel boring machines. While it was criticized as ‘the line that goes nowhere,’ it also ushered in new thinking about infrastructure incorporating public art.

More : https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...re-opened.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

dimlys1994 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 10:15 PM   #2024
swimmer_spe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
14 years ago the subway line to nowhere opened
On Nov. 22, 2002, Sheppard subway line was born, the first new Toronto subway line in almost 40 years.
Toronto Star Excerpt
Nov. 22, 2016

Sheppard Subway Train by Wiley Wolf, on Flickr

On Nov. 22, 2002 at 11:00 a.m. a train carrying Ontario Premier Ernie Eves, Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman, Transport Canada Minister David Collenette and TTC Chair Betty Disero broke through a banner across the track at Don Mills station, officially opening the Sheppard subway line.

Following the inaugural ride, there was a public open house, and the public was able to ride the new Line 4 free of charge while enjoying entertainment provided by bands and performing arts students. There were also gifts handed out, including complimentary tote bags.

Toronto’s first new subway line since 1966, the Sheppard line cost around $1 billion to construct and took 7 and a half years to build.

It was Toronto’s first fully accessible subway line with elevators at every station and was the first subway in Canada constructed entirely by tunnel boring machines. While it was criticized as ‘the line that goes nowhere,’ it also ushered in new thinking about infrastructure incorporating public art.

More : https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...re-opened.html
So, why was it built in the first place?
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:08 AM   #2025
saiho

Quote:
because people thought this:

Quote:
If you build it, they will come.

I am trying to think of a subway station that has not seen major growth since first opened.

Balkanada liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2016, 03:11 AM   #2026
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17130

TTC map in 2021

Blog TO

dimlys1994, Canadian Empire liked this post
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:01 AM   #2027
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18136

Quote:
They intended to build a full line all the way to Scarborough, which would have made sense. But they didn't have enough $.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:20 AM   #2028
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Quote:
The mayor at the time (Mel Lastman) was a little shady. There are whispers that he was paying off business friends who stood to benefit financially from a subway running along Sheppard. None of it has been proven but at least I can get to IKEA by subway now.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:23 AM   #2029
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
TTC map in 2021

Blog TO
When the Scarborough RT is re-worked as a subway will it just be part of Line 2? An extension of Line 5 to Pearson would make a lot of sense.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 04:43 AM   #2030
ainvan

Likes (Received): 17130

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
When the Scarborough RT is re-worked as a subway will it just be part of Line 2? An extension of Line 5 to Pearson would make a lot of sense.
Yes, eventually it would be like this, hopefully before 2028 Olympics

dimlys1994, isaidso, Canadian Empire liked this post
ainvan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 06:00 AM   #2031
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
When the Scarborough RT is re-worked as a subway will it just be part of Line 2?
I guess that would depend on whether or not there would be a short turn on Kennedy. I think it would make more sense anyway
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 10:09 AM   #2032
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Please not that the new Orange line is NOT a Metro. It is an LRT and although 10km of the busiest central section will be underground, the rest I at-grade going down the middle of a busy street in ROW.

None of the Finch or Sheppard line is Metro either but just street running LRT in ROW. It just makes the map look better but even with the soon to be open Spadina subway extension, Toronto's subway system has grown by only 14 km in 30 years.

The real action in Toronto transit is the massive GO rail commuter system that will be turned into a RER in it's inner areas and will be electrified and totally grade separated.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 11:18 PM   #2033
swimmer_spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainvan View Post
Yes, eventually it would be like this, hopefully before 2028 Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Please not that the new Orange line is NOT a Metro. It is an LRT and although 10km of the busiest central section will be underground, the rest I at-grade going down the middle of a busy street in ROW.

None of the Finch or Sheppard line is Metro either but just street running LRT in ROW. It just makes the map look better but even with the soon to be open Spadina subway extension, Toronto's subway system has grown by only 14 km in 30 years.

The real action in Toronto transit is the massive GO rail commuter system that will be turned into a RER in it's inner areas and will be electrified and totally grade separated.
So, should the Streetcar lines that are built the same way as the Crosstown and future LRT lines be all on this map? It would really boost the (L)RT the city has already.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:44 AM   #2034
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Personally I would put them on the map but not with the same prominence as subway except for the underground portion of Eglinton. I think they should handle the surface lines like Paris does with its trams, by including them but with a finer line style compared to heavy lines for metro and rer.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

saiho liked this post

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; December 3rd, 2016 at 05:37 AM.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:04 AM   #2035
saiho

I agree, the surface running sections of the LRT network should get a thinner line but I think transit technology politics are at play here. If the TTC did show the non grade separated sections differently then the subways, subways, subways crowd will start crying foul over them being relegated to "second class" citizens getting lesser transit.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:13 AM   #2036
swimmer_spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Personally I would put them on the map but but with the same prominence as subway except for the underground portion of Eglinton. I think they should handle the surface lines like Paris does with its trams, by including them but with a finer line style compared to heavy lines for metro and rer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
I agree, the surface running sections of the LRT network should get a thinner line but I think transit technology politics are at play here. If the TTC did show the non grade separated sections differently then the subways, subways, subways crowd will start crying foul over them being relegated to "second class" citizens getting lesser transit.
Only have the lines that are in their own ROW. Have the LRT/Streetcar lines thinner and the Subways thicker. It would really showcase the transit Toronto really has.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 08:25 AM   #2037
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
GO RER is going to be far from grade separated, They have something like 170 at grade crossings on the GO network today and only something like 10 of them are being separated as a part of the program.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 10:42 AM   #2038
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Most of the GO commuter lines have few grade separations but as I understand it the entire RER system itself will be.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:14 AM   #2039
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

The track map was recently posted to the "Transit Toronto" weblog

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archive...w_transi.shtml
Old December 5th, 2016, 06:29 AM   #2040
swimmer_spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The track map was recently posted to the "Transit Toronto" weblog

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archive...w_transi.shtml
What software is used to make these types of maps?

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto