daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #261
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by York Transit
I just came back from a Montreal vacation. The metro is really loud and uncomfortable.

The suspensions on the old MR-63 trains, run on the green line, are seriously falling apart. The area near Lionel Groulx is the worst, I've never shaken/vibrated or seen some many people jiggle like jello on a train before. Go ride for yourself

The newer trains aren't that bad though, but they're still loud.
You mis-read me, for I was referring to current new fleets not being up-to-date, not ones respectively 40 and 30 years' old. For guys, our fleets aren't painful, whereas Toronto's hurts both genders -- I'm presuming our hilarious, rapid, bold jigglings might be painful for some females.

I often ride the eight tracks to or from Lionel-Groulx; 80 metres east of Viau station and the western half of Monk station are short tracking sections I'm suspicious of. No MR-63 here is seriously falling apart, or we'd have delays galore when the fact is the stark opposite. If anything, their seriousness is supposedly attributed to the spent costs at maintaining them in top form, plus neither fleet here spends time exposed to the elements. I find the older fleet's the stronger of our two fleets. Both fleets seem noisy due to the numerous open vents and grills in any car incessantly indoors, although its noisiness isn't painful. Toronto's noise levels are hazardous, its noisiness'd be hard to miss, whereas I must remember to be more alert on crowded platforms here coz that's when all that clothing around conceals the approach of one of our noisy trains.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #262
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyronin
Just my two cents, but the Toronto subway has made me appreciate these steel like systems.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #263
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram
Dependable? Depends on how you regard functionality. Do your ears function well enough after riding that city's metro? How's the whiplash to your neck at stops? Are you the type to become embaressed from being thrown into the nearby passenger when the train halts? Not a pleasant legacy, Toronto.

Wheels squealing daftly even on the slightest of bends, noisiness ricocheting off no ballast underground; nothing learnt about how to quiet the squealing brakes when it came to freshly-commissioned trains a few years ago, the overall objective being to lurch the whole friggin unit into an abrupt stop.

I wish that city would just wake up -- with all that din of a tumbling you'd think it would've by now . . . .

For me functionality was first triumphed by London's Circle Line C stock fleet manufactured in the late 1960s. Its errr pleasant functionality outmatched even our fleets' here.

Cheers,
Chris
The funny thing is I just got off of the subway, and I was reading your post. I was thinking what a horrible, horrible place you must be talking about. Then I saw it was Toronto and I laughed fairly hard.

Look at it this way. People in Toronto wouldn't be satisfied with a quiet "bus in a cave" (quoting a famous American comedian), we love the rumble beneath our feet as we walk down University, and we know to hold on tight when Union is the next station. It wouldn't be Toronto if it was quiet, and if the ride was as gentle as your Caravan--because that's not us. And us in the centre of the universe like ourselves alot.

If you asked a Torontonian which one they rather--the answer would be obvious.

or

Last edited by Jaye101; August 13th, 2006 at 07:39 AM.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:22 AM   #264
York Transit

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram
No MR-63 here is seriously falling apart, or we'd have delays galore when the fact is the stark opposite.
Actually, the MR-63's broke down on me about 4-5 times on 2 separate occasions.

The train would pull into a station, open it's doors, lights flicker, and then the entire train and lights would shut off, only to be restarted in 10-15 seconds. To me, that is not reliable! Something like that has never happened on the TTC, let alone 4-5 times in a WEEK.

One thing that STM does beat TTC is the speed of the trains. The MR-73's are definitely much improved and smoother than the MR-63's. I also like STM's automated voices, especially the new one on the green line. Much better than the constipated lady doing the automated announcements on the Sheppard line.

As for the noise, you can judge for yourself:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vA-hqSFO-fc [You can even see the camera shaking]
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2hJGAhYQsE0

The TTC has its pros and cons, the STM has its pros and cons.

Last edited by York Transit; August 13th, 2006 at 10:29 AM.
York Transit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:44 AM   #265
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

I can honestly admit that Toronto's subway is significantly louder than in that video. Some parts of the system are louder than others. For example the Yonge line north of Bloor is probably the most quiet, while inbetween Kennedy and Warden is probably the loudest.
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #266
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

The loudest part of the subway IMO is the bottom of the loop near Union and around St. George.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #267
Cibressus

Likes (Received): 0

Ajax Transit had something like this when I was a junior in HS. I liked it, you just walked past and waved your card over the reader, it was so easy.
Cibressus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #268
Homer J. Simpson

As AllUrban said, the RFIDs are a great system. They truely do save time and the do save money. If people use them more it takes less staff to dole out change and deal with transporting change to the tills in stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-strider
Just like what we have over here in Singapore, all modes of transport are integrated into one mode of payment, which is the Ez-Link (Smart Card System). Even when you transfer from bus to train, Train to LRT (light Rail - Peoples Mover System) it will deduct and give the rebates accondingly. Over here, payments are charged by the distance that you travel. Example, when you board the bus, you tap the card once and the Ez-link will deduct the maximum fare. When you reach your destination, you tap again whn you alight and the machine will calculate and deposit the remaining amount back to your card. It works over here and from what you can see, Everyone here have a Ez-link card with them and it's getting more popular as there are more places which accept this smartcard system other than the transport system.
All modes of transport that fall under the TTC, being subway, streetcar (LRT) and ttc buses are all in a unified fair system with no zones. A one way trip is allowable under some conditions that I am too lazy to post right now. Where multiple fares come in the GTA is between other systems.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #269
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaye101
I wouldn't propose a survey whereat a sample's displayed out of context -- that's an indoor unit being displayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by York Transit
Actually, the MR-63's broke down on me about 4-5 times on 2 separate occasions.
. . .
The MR-73's are definitely much improved and smoother than the MR-63's.
The way you described the moments of diminished car lighting limited to stations did happen a couple of years ago, I'd forgot about those. Mind you, I doubt dimmed lighting to be as nauseating a functionality as mouldy air conditioning, the latter being a rotten pong that I reckon causes more head-turning than very minor delays from the past.

The MR-63s have always offered the superior ride, this being no secret to this city, although the only moment they're inferior is the very early stage of acceleration from stopping. Just as decades ago I ask why did they bother putting MR-73s on tyres, coz their rides aren't cushioned. The technological components of the MR-73s are what probably outshine the MR-63 counterparts, all the while feeling flimsy to ride compared to the MR-63s.

I'm just remembering the TTC's succession of subway fleets not being remarkable advancements with what's been possible for ages now, right. Do maniacs still tear down to College stn from Wellesley stn; might the couple of mishaps in that section of single-tracked tunneling the past few years be coincidental?

Last edited by elkram; August 13th, 2006 at 09:30 PM.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #270
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
The loudest part of the subway IMO is the bottom of the loop near Union and around St. George.
Yeah, your right. I was just thinking about general track, not exactly sharp turns.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #271
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:10 PM   #272
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:42 PM   #273
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

cool subway shots
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:16 PM   #274
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I really like the tube like stations too.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:26 PM   #275
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:42 AM   #276
degnaw

is the subway ever elevated for extended periods, or is that a short-term thing? Most of the pictures show either at-grade, sunken, or underground.
degnaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:31 AM   #277
Magic Night

I like the metalic texture style on the trains, looks nice and cyber.
Magic Night no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:21 AM   #278
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Old August 24th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #279
Homer J. Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by degnaw
is the subway ever elevated for extended periods, or is that a short-term thing? Most of the pictures show either at-grade, sunken, or underground.

The B-D line is kept at a realtively flat grade throughout its alignment. There are some parts of the terrain along that alignment where the elevation is lower. The area around High Park and then around Old Mill are examples of that. From roughly Islington to Kipling the subway is slightly elevated briefly then it is at grade.

From Urban Rail.Net:

Yonge-University-Spadina Subway - 31 km - 32 stations

Bloor-Danforth Subway - east-west line parallel to Lake Ontario, 27.5 km, 31 stations

Sheppard Subway - a new east-west line from Sheppard/Yonge to Don Mills (6.4 km, 5 stations)

Scarborough RT - 6.4 km, 6 stations, partly elevated and partly at grade (around Ellesmere and Lawrence East stations)

Total length: 70 km (52 km underground, 8 km elevated, 10 km ground level)

Old August 29th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #280
carpanatomy

Likes (Received): 1

Toronto Pearson Airport people mover

does anyone has some picture of the people mover tram at Pearson Airport? thanks.
carpanatomy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto