daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2006, 10:12 PM   #301
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I beleive Bangkok is also bring in a SkyTrain system.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #302
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:57 AM   #303
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Too bad the station design is basically the same as 30 years ago. Even newer stations on the Sheppard line have annoying bottlenecks. Single escalator and staircases are still common. Simply put, a single staircase for passengers traveling in two directions to switch platforms is unacceptable. Also, escalators run at "mall speed" if they work at all.
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:04 AM   #304
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Those are some awsome pictures.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:45 AM   #305
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

yay more pitures! not taken by me, as per usual.

Some neat videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JVtdFHaP7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DCrMWS7h6w&NR
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #306
GTS

Likes (Received): 1

Am new to Toronto having recently moved here from Vancouver and have enjoyed getting to know my new city via the TTC. Am a big fan of urban rapid transit and was on the TTC website and found out about a Public TTC meeting being held downtown at:

Wed. Jan. 31/07 @ 1:00 pm
100 Queen St. West, 2nd Floor
Toronto, ON

Hope to find out about some of the TTC's plans for expansion. Am very grateful to get involved with rapid transit in my new city. As I have read in earlier threads Toronto needs much expansion of its rapid transit system, like Madrid has done recently, to accomodate the GTA's 5 million plus population. Hope some other rapid transit fans are there as well.
Regards,
George S.
GTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #307
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

^Welcome to Toronto.

I personnally am a big fan of subways and history. When the two are combined, I find reading about it is very enjoyable.

Try this site out if you would like to learn about the behind the curtains details about the ttc. Urban rail net and the wikipedia article are good for a read.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #308
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

toronto's system is so small compared to everyone else
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #309
TDude695

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
toronto's system is so small compared to everyone else
"everyone else"? Are you kidding? There are TONS of systems smaller than Toronto's.
TDude695 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #310
Homer J. Simpson

^Depends how you look at it. Washington D.C. has a larger system as does Chicago. That in itself does not make Toronto's less noteworthy as neither of those have the same ridership as Toronto does.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #311
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

will Toronto ever have the subway extended to the airport? if so is there a plan and timeline?
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #312
GTS

Reply to post # 172

Post #172, they already had a line started on the very congested Eglington West that would have eventually been extended to the airport I have read. Unfortunately the line was scrapped and the Sheppard line was built instead. The previous Mike Harris government can be thanked for squashing a needed Eglington Subway. I am new to the area but have read that their are some important political ridings along the Sheppard corridor and that is why it was built instead of a much more needed Eglington line.
Well at least one Subway was built. The more the merrier.
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #313
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

ah - weird that Canada's largest city doesn't have a subway connection for its airport or plans to

when i used to visit toronto riding the subway was fun, except for the times the lights would go black and the train would stop
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #314
Homer J. Simpson

^It isn't weird at all, Toronto doesn't get any capital for improvements from the government.

Old January 16th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #315
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
Post #172, they already had a line started on the very congested Eglington West that would have eventually been extended to the airport I have read. Unfortunately the line was scrapped and the Sheppard line was built instead. The previous Mike Harris government can be thanked for squashing a needed Eglington Subway. I am new to the area but have read that their are some important political ridings along the Sheppard corridor and that is why it was built instead of a much more needed Eglington line.
Well at least one Subway was built. The more the merrier.
It wasn't really because the political ridings were important, it was because one of them belonged to Mel Lastman, who's loud, and crazy, I think Mikey was scared and agreed to continue Sheppard (because it WAS in fact slated to be served the same fate as Eglinton W), just so long as Mel promised to leave Mikey alone in return. They didn't only scrap it either... THE HARRIS GOVERNMENT BACKFILLED IT AT A COST OF AN EXTRA 100 MILLION!!!!

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #316
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
ah - weird that Canada's largest city doesn't have a subway connection for its airport or plans to
Well, it wouldn't be a TTC subway going there at any rate. Subways are TTC jurisdiction, and the airport is in Mississauga. It's also far from any current or planned line.

Most importantly though, the airport wouldn't be a big enough ridership draw to warrant a subway....at least not when there are so many more routes that would be far better served by subways than the airport.

I've never quite understood why people think an airport subway is so important.

But, there are plans for a rail connection using existing freight/VIA/GO right-of-ways...just not a subway.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #317
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Well, it wouldn't be a TTC subway going there at any rate. Subways are TTC jurisdiction, and the airport is in Mississauga.
This is supposed to be true based on the rules, but they aren't being followed, otherwise the TTC wouldn't be extending the subway into Vaughan. If it can go into Vaughan, than the jurisdiction wouldn't really matter for one station on the west side of the 427 (the border) either to service the airport by subway. Not that that means it will happen anytime soon, but Eglinton is a corridor that is entitled to a subway (how far east and west is up for debate, I have reservations about running it to the airport (Eglinton is not well-suited for subways west of the Humber), but eastbound, it can go until Eglinton's terminus IMO).

Old January 19th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #318
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
But, there are plans for a rail connection using existing freight/VIA/GO right-of-ways...just not a subway.
This is being derailed in more ways than one. Frankly, I hope it crashes, that project is a farce.

Old January 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #319
GTS

Glad this extension is being built, not only for Toronto and York University but for the entire GTA by extending it for two stations into Vaughan. Finally past Steeles and into the 905 region.
I was reading the March 27/2006 YLife, York University student newsletter, that stated the polulation of student and staff at York U. is around 65,000. This number shows that this line would be used. The Toronto Star estimates that this line will have a ridership of over 100,000 a day and will eliminate 83,000 car trips a day. These numbers warrant a subway.
Know that people say the priority should be Mississauga because the Peel region (inludes Brampton) is 1.1 million, but I feel that the GTA has learned from its mistakes. It is a lot more expensive to put a subway into a pre-existing city then one being built up now. The plans for the Vaughan Corporate Centre is for it to be zoned a downtown area which means a lot of work and commuters it needs to support a transportation link.
I look forward to the day I can take the subway out of Toronto when I want to.
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #320
addisonwesley

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
It is a lot more expensive to put a subway into a pre-existing city then one being built up now.
Could you please elaborate. I don't see the sense in extending the subway to a location where there is currently no ridership base, and where development has yet to occur. Wasn't this a problem with the Sheppard line when it first opened back in the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
I was reading the March 27/2006 YLife, York University student newsletter, that stated the polulation of student and staff at York U. is around 65,000. This number shows that this line would be used.
The population of the university is no assurance that the new extension will be used. You ought to back this statement up with some facts about travel patterns to and from the campus.
addisonwesley no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto