daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #321
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Likes (Received): 12

Toronto has a build it and they will come approach to subways sometimes. the Shephard line and the proposed extention to York U has a few stops in the middle of nowhere... the university will get a few riders, but with a lot of students from outside Toronto, and the main train station probably 40 minutes away by subway a lot of students wouldnt be able to make the trains in time... therefore it seems pretty useless... stick with the GO buses, they work, they don't have to run as much in summer and they are way way way cheaper!

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #322
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonwesley View Post
Could you please elaborate. I don't see the sense in extending the subway to a location where there is currently no ridership base, and where development has yet to occur. Wasn't this a problem with the Sheppard line when it first opened back in the day?
Sheppard? Try Spadina, that line still has crap ridership compared to the others and that ****** has been in service for 39 years. If it didn't run through on the Yonge-Uni, then it would have only 4-cars too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonwesley View Post
The population of the university is no assurance that the new extension will be used. You ought to back this statement up with some facts about travel patterns to and from the campus.
Exactly... a majority of the population from York U does not originate in the south, and that is the fundamental problem with this project. I'd rather see a spin-off project from GO Transit, where some Georgetown trains are rerouted from Bramalea (with new trains added originating in Bramalea (or City Center, possible with a half-km extension of existing tracks) to maintain existing service levels to all station) along the Steeles corridor, stop near the North-West gate of York U (and include an underpass to the center of the uni so that it is still attractive in winter), and then swing south to Union... this actually requires no new track, just a new platform, and it would probably get more of the University's population.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #323
FK

Likes (Received): 1284

Heres one I took;

FK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #324
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumisu View Post
stick with the GO buses, they work, they don't have to run as much in summer and they are way way way cheaper!
While I agree that buses are fine in summer, buses are not cheaper to run than trains, they are just cheaper to buy. As I just said, GO could drop a platform at the northwest gate and run trains via York U from Bramalea without laying any new track, and they would have less costs relating to staff and fewer vehicles to maintain per passenger.

Old January 20th, 2007, 06:08 AM   #325
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FahadKhan View Post
Heres one I took;
I'm going to guess Broadview?
Nice shot, subtle motion.

Old January 20th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #326
FK

TTC Train passing over the Don Valley Parkway;

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post
I'm going to guess Broadview?
Nice shot, subtle motion.
Hmm .. I think it was Donlands .. dont exactly remember to be honest :x
Old January 20th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #327
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Quote:
While I agree that buses are fine in summer, buses are not cheaper to run than trains, they are just cheaper to buy. As I just said, GO could drop a platform at the northwest gate and run trains via York U from Bramalea without laying any new track, and they would have less costs relating to staff and fewer vehicles to maintain per passenger.
really? is it that close? blows your mind that they haven't done that already... i believe the word is 'bozos'...
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #328
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumisu View Post
really? is it that close? blows your mind that they haven't done that already... i believe the word is 'bozos'...
The tracks are there... doesn't mean they own them. That's the main reason.

As for costs, remember that it is per-passenger, and the capital costs have a significant difference since trains are larger, heavier, use separate special infrastructure, and require more engineering to make, but one GO Train engine = at least 20 buses worth of work in a 10 car train. Per passenger costs, you tell me which is cheaper there. 1 power engine more efficient than 20 mini-engines.

Old January 20th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #329
M II A II R II K

Likes (Received): 620

The Spadina line extension is still good as a transit hub to scoop up York region commuters and divert some of them that would usually go to Finch station. It would also cause the Spadina line to get more traffic which is somewhat lacking.

But yea that being said it would be good if they went ahead with other extensions while they're at it.
Old January 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #330
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
The Spadina line extension is still good as a transit hub to scoop up York region commuters and divert some of them that would usually go to Finch station.
Actually, that is another example of how this is not as well thought out as it ought to be, the fact that that TTC buses going to Finch actually won't be diverted. The Finch bus to York U gets high use. However, without a Sheppard extension to Downsview, that bus is not going to see that much less traffic, since the people coming to Finch are closer to that bus connection than Downsview's.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:12 AM   #331
FK

Some more;

Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:32 AM   #332
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Sheppard? Try Spadina, that line still has crap ridership compared to the others and that ****** has been in service for 39 years. If it didn't run through on the Yonge-Uni, then it would have only 4-cars too.
Im guessing there is some hope that an extension up to Vaughan will lead to more development along Spadina.

Coupled with that, Ive heard a crazy idea about covering/decking over the Allen Rd/Spadina subway ditch.

The idea is to build two levels of road on one side of the subway line, and housing and offices on the other side.

As for York U and the airport...yes they will draw passengers (consider all the people who work at the airport and the University as well as the students and fliers). Unfortunately, they will not draw enough passengers to justify the costs of subway construction.

TTC needs to build out its grid network into rapid transit...LRT or subway or even buses in reserved lanes...whatever...just get it started so that there is something in place beyond choked traffic.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:49 AM   #333
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

definitly more practical to not run a subway line to the airport...most people that fly can afford a taxi or a limo to wherever they are going...personally i would never ever use it, too much of a pain in the ass. car/taxi is much more practical.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 01:23 PM   #334
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

the only thing I ask for the TTC is to stretch the damn Sheppard line over to the other side....

that's all!!!!... 2 more stations!!!
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM   #335
elkram
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
the only thing I ask for the TTC is to stretch the damn Sheppard line over to the other side
The line cannot be extended west due to some conservation zoning to the broad ravine west of the Sheppard junction. Residents from that ravine said the extension westward'll never happen.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:36 PM   #336
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram View Post
The line cannot be extended west due to some conservation zoning to the broad ravine west of the Sheppard junction. Residents from that ravine said the extension westward'll never happen.
We have bridges with roads crossing that ravine. I don't see why we can't have one for the subway.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM   #337
elkram
BANNED

Right, all erected before the creation of the environment/conservation zoning came into effect.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:29 AM   #338
TRZ

If it swings North, then West (Finch W I'm thinkin) then it can go Westward.

Old January 24th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #339
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

Quote:
Originally Posted by yin_yang View Post
definitly more practical to not run a subway line to the airport...most people that fly can afford a taxi or a limo to wherever they are going...personally i would never ever use it, too much of a pain in the ass. car/taxi is much more practical.
The Eglinton West line would've had a natural alignment to reach the airport and serve a lot of people in the west end as well. An airport-dedicated service is not likely going to be profitable for Toronto's case, but adding an extra stop on top of a commuter line is far more feasible.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #340
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

but then there's issues with adding more trains. they already have staffing problems. an additional GO stop would mean that the line would have to be upgraded to almost constant service, not possible really considering the lack of political testicular fortitude...
they need an express, heathrow or Narita style. that's really the only option. the other ones, while they might 'work' for Torontonians will be confusing, and ineffective for most tourists. also not a very pleasant welcome to Toronto.

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto