daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #341
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumisu View Post
but then there's issues with adding more trains. they already have staffing problems. an additional GO stop would mean that the line would have to be upgraded to almost constant service, not possible really considering the lack of political testicular fortitude...
they need an express, heathrow or Narita style. that's really the only option. the other ones, while they might 'work' for Torontonians will be confusing, and ineffective for most tourists. also not a very pleasant welcome to Toronto.
You're going to sit there and tell me Narita is simple for the newly arrived Tourist? Puh-leeze. I love the rail network here, but simple it is not. There are 3 limited express trains servicing the airport, two by Keisei, one by JR, plus an additional rapid service by JR, some of which go different ways, some the same, just making different stops along the way. There are only 2 tracks, but at least 4 different trains (in reality more like 6 considering the variations on the N'EX (Yokohama, Oomiya, Tachikawa)).

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:50 PM   #342
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Likes (Received): 12

I found it relatively easy when I first arrived all wide-eyed, some Germans couldn't figure it out and kept on asking me in German which train to get, but everyone managed it. hey, it's not amazing, but way better than having to take a bus!

Perhaps the Meitetsu Centrair express in Nagoya is easier, but I've almost missed flights on that due to it being called 'airport express' but taking a totally different line and going somewhere totally different.... my cousin actually missed his.
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #343
elkram
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post
You're going to sit there and tell me Narita is simple for the newly arrived Tourist? Puh-leeze. I love the rail network here, but simple it is not. There are 3 limited express trains servicing the airport, two by Keisei, one by JR, plus an additional rapid service by JR, some of which go different ways, some the same, just making different stops along the way. There are only 2 tracks, but at least 4 different trains (in reality more like 6 considering the variations on the N'EX (Yokohama, Oomiya, Tachikawa)).
Me, I'm standing actually -- your description of the Narita-line services strike me as very straightforward, i.e., only mildly confusing.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #344
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram View Post
Me, I'm standing actually -- your description of the Narita-line services strike me as very straightforward, i.e., only mildly confusing.
You and I are a fair bit smarter than the average tourist. I'm talking about intuitive transit that is easy even for idiots. Idiots might board a train that is bound for both Shinjuku and Yokohama for example (the train separates into two smaller trains at Tokyo Station), and end up going where they didn't want to, as one possible example. Hasn't happened to me of course, but I can see it happening to others possibly.

Old January 27th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #345
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Quote:
You and I are a fair bit smarter than the average tourist. I'm talking about intuitive transit that is easy even for idiots. Idiots might board a train that is bound for both Shinjuku and Yokohama for example (the train separates into two smaller trains at Tokyo Station), and end up going where they didn't want to, as one possible example. Hasn't happened to me of course, but I can see it happening to others possibly.
I don't see any problem with that... Darwin called it natural selection!
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #346
TRZ

Quote:
I don't see any problem with that... Darwin called it natural selection!
I agree, except the majority of people are stupid, so if we don't cater to them, we'll get no money because they can't understand the service and therefore won't pay to use/buy it.

Old January 27th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #347
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

yes, I suppose we all can't be Alpha Plus Pluses.
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #348
TRZ

Quote:
yes, I suppose we all can't be Alpha Plus Pluses.
There must be sheep to be looked after by the Sheppards

Old January 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #349
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

The province and feds should have insisted that Pearson had to have a rapid transit connect and they pay for it or the whole expansion was a no go.
God knows for the money they spent on Pearson they should have budgeted it into their expansion plans.
Now with Pearson being the most expensive airport in the world Pearson will terminally plead poverty and a rapid transit line could be decades off.
A beautiful Taj Mahal that you still have to take a bus to get to.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #350
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

most expensive for landing fees... with Narita in close second, which makes my life worse as those are two airports I use most. a rail link to Pearson is such a no brainer its shocking.

OOOH, lookin out my bedroom windo, like 20 cruisers on the Gardiner from about the skydome to the Yonge/bay exit, wonder what that's about...
Old January 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #351
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
most expensive for landing fees... with Narita in close second, which makes my life worse as those are two airports I use most. a rail link to Pearson is such a no brainer its shocking.

OOOH, lookin out my bedroom windo, like 20 cruisers on the Gardiner from about the skydome to the Yonge/bay exit, wonder what that's about...
i wouldnt say a close second. for a 747 Pearson is 10,000, narita is about 6,000.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #352
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

oh, didn't realize there was that much of a gap, I wonder how fast those rates have been going up at pearson.
Old January 28th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #353
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
The province and feds should have insisted that Pearson had to have a rapid transit connect and they pay for it or the whole expansion was a no go.
God knows for the money they spent on Pearson they should have budgeted it into their expansion plans.
Now with Pearson being the most expensive airport in the world Pearson will terminally plead poverty and a rapid transit line could be decades off.
A beautiful Taj Mahal that you still have to take a bus to get to.
Well, that's what Blue 22 was supposed to be all about, however the government, in its infinite stupidity, tried to use tax payer dollars to fund a private enterprise that will be of no benefit to the locals, which is shockingly insulting and absurd. A loan is one thing, but handouts are unacceptable and I hope the Weston Coalition succeeds in destroying Blue 22, its not acceptable.

Pearson is twice as expensive as Narita?! That sounds like a stretch...

Old January 28th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #354
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

I think we need more privatization, the whole supposed accountability in democracy just isn't working when it comes to transit.

hey TRZ have you gone to a Yamachan yet? nagoya style izakaya, great chicken wings and Ginga kogen beer (like lowenbrau but arguably better)
Old January 28th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #355
TRZ

Quote:
I think we need more privatization, the whole supposed accountability in democracy just isn't working when it comes to transit.
I agree, but the law doesn't technically allow for it due to monopoly laws, and changing that law is dangerous, and privatizing the TTC is not realistic either without separating the modes but that could make travel within Toronto a lot more expensive than today. Apart from City Hall, the government is useless for transit in Toronto, but there is no legal/realistic option for private railway operators.

Didn't know about Yamachans, I will have to look into that, thanks

Old January 29th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #356
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

Next stop: TTC updates on your cellphone
29 January 2007
The Globe and Mail

To improve those muffled subway announcements that sound like one of the adults in a Charlie Brown television special, the Toronto Transit Commission is looking at ways to use new technology to get information to riders, and not a moment too soon.

Hoping to get in on the action is the company that brought you those once-controversial advertising-laden TV screens, now on platforms in about 40 subway stations.

Toronto-based OneStop Media Group says it soon hopes to show riders up-to-the-minute transit information on those screens, meaning that instead of general information about delays, they could be told exactly how long they'll wait.

Michael Girgis, OneStop's president and CEO, says the company is also working with officials on plans to send news of delays or problems directly to commuters' cellphones, before they head into the subway.

“We all carry cellphones and we're all staring at our BlackBerrys and we all want information now,” he said last week in an interview.

He said OneStop would deliver the e-mail service at no cost and free of advertising. A future deal with GO Transit could allow his screens to warn TTC commuters headed to Union Station about any commuter train delays, he added.

Mr. Girgis said the new systems could be online in the next 12 to 24 months if he gets the go-ahead.

While Mr. Girgis said OneStop plans to put as much new information on its screens as it can, it's unclear whether the firm will actually end up being the one that delivers any new TTC rider e-mail service.

New TTC chairman Adam Giambrone, who at 29 was born on the right side of the generational digital divide, has made improving its website and getting it to embrace new technology a key priority.

Already pencilled into the upcoming TTC budget are a series of projects, including plans to gradually roll out a system to let riders know in real time how long they will have to wait for a bus, to allow them to buy Metropasses online and to consult a Web-based trip planner.

Mr. Giambrone, while TTC commissioner, initially opposed the screens, which “public space” activists and others criticized because of the increased advertising.

Last week, he said he doesn't think OneStop's idea to provide more information should be a top priority, since riders are kept warm and trains are supposed to come every two minutes in rush hour.

But on a forlorn suburban route, where riders might like to know if their bus is coming in five minutes or 20 minutes, some sort of new system might be of value, he said.

Then there is the issue of screens on the actual trains. When OneStop's screens were a hot issue (they started installing them in 2005), the TTC approved them for stations but vetoed plans for subway cars, calling the idea too invasive.

But the 234 new cars on order from Bombardier, expected to hit the rails in 2009, will include TV screens as standard equipment. Mr. Girgis laughs when asked about the contradiction. He said he hopes OneStop can retrofit the rest of the fleet with screens one day, although he hasn't convinced the TTC.

“With change comes resistance sometimes,” Mr. Girgis said. “But once it's adopted, it's almost like, how did we live without this?”

Dr. Gridlock appears Mondays.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #357
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
[size=4]But the 234 new cars on order from Bombardier, expected to hit the rails in 2009, will include TV screens as standard equipment. Mr. Girgis laughs when asked about the contradiction. He said he hopes OneStop can retrofit the rest of the fleet with screens one day, although he hasn't convinced the TTC.
I hope they don't retrofit, personally.
Do the new cars have one screen or two above each door? If only one, I hope they use it exclusively for ride information. This is a common site in Tokyo networks. If the train has two screens, then they run ads and stuff on the second screen, but for those with only one, it is ride info exclusively, nothing else. The reason I don't want to see retrofits by OneStop is because that guarantees advertising will appear on the screen, defeating the purpose of providing ride information (if you put ads on it, nobody will bother looking at it, because nobody wants to watch advertising, they only want the ride info from a screen on the train).

Old January 30th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #358
elkram
BANNED

Quote:
(if you put ads on it, nobody will bother looking at it, because nobody wants to watch advertising, they only want the ride info from a screen on the train).
BS, especially in N America where compared to other places I find society to be the most ill at ease when out in public -- seen it loads of times: some screen yielding ads at least half of the time still attracting passers'-by attention, coz they can't bear imagining whereabouts around them to look/focus (for those not reading or preoccupied some other way)
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #359
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

if it's purpose is to be advertising that's fine, but if it has a dual role; advertising and information I think it would get annoying.
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #360
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Toronto transit worker dies in subway tunnel accident
Closed Yonge subway section causes 'pandemonium'

Last Updated: Monday, April 23, 2007 | 7:57 PM ET
CBC News

A Toronto Transit Commission maintenance worker is dead after a piece of equipment crashed onto the work train he was aboard early Monday.

Commuters jostled for a place on the packed buses shuttling between Eglinton and York Mills.Commuters jostled for a place on the packed buses shuttling between Eglinton and York Mills.

(Jamie Strashin/CBC)

Two other workers were being treated for non life-threatening injuries at Sunnybrook Hospital. One suffered a broken rib and will likely be released later in the day, while the other is still being assessed.

The accident forced the closure of a stretch of the Yonge subway line, causing what one morning commuter called "pandemonium." By Tuesday morning, the TTC expects full service to resume.

An 11-member maintenance crew had just finished its shift removing asbestos in an underground tunnel when the accident happened around 4:30 a.m. ET in the southbound tunnel south of the Lawrence subway station.

The employees were on two subway work cars that were pushing a flatbed car carrying heavy pieces of metal equipment used as scaffolding by the asbestos cleanup crew.

A piece of equipment snagged a cable sticking out of the tunnel lining, causing the equipment to dislodge and fall on the subway car behind it, crushing and killing the operator inside, said TTC chair Adam Giambrone.

The accident occurred just south of the Lawrence station in the southbound tunnel.The accident occurred just south of the Lawrence station in the southbound tunnel.

(Dwight Friesen/CBC)

The operator, who had worked for TTC for the past five years, was described as a model employee.

The Yonge subway line was closed between York Mills and Eglinton as the Ministry of Labour investigated the accident. Crews were also busy fixing damaged cables and removing the work train from the tracks.

"It's a mess down there," Giambrone said.

Before city council resumed debate on the budget Monday morning, Mayor David Miller informed council of the death and asked for a moment of silence.

Workers gather at the Lawrence subway station to investigate the accident.Workers gather at the Lawrence subway station to investigate the accident.

(CBC)

"The accident has been very shocking to all of us," Miller said later in the day, offering condolences to the family of the deceased.
Commuter chaos

Above ground, thousands of commuters jockeyed for a spot on buses shuttling them between York Mills and Eglinton stations.

One passenger, Hyacinth Clark, described the scene as "pandemonium."

"It's been like lemmings. One person goes one way and everybody goes that way," she said. "Nobody knows what they're doing, nobody knows what's going on."

Outside York Mills station, a massive crowd spilled onto all four corners of the intersection and sometimes onto the streets, stopping traffic in the northbound lanes of Yonge Street.

Several people complained of waiting three hours for an available bus. Others simply gave up and walked to work.

Giambrone thanked everyone for their patience, adding "We know everyone out there had a horrible day [trying] to get to work today."

"When something like this happens for whatever reason, there is no way to adequately replace our subway service," he said.

TTC officials vowed to have more buses running along the affected stretch for the afternoon rush.
--------------------------------------
TTC emergency response is so disorganized. There is never any signage or instruction. The result is pushing and general chaos.

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto