daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2007, 02:48 AM   #361
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

That was really sad. While it may be easy enough to "just" think of it as a work related death, I consider his passing on par with a soldier. He gave his life so that not only could the people of Toronto could get around easily, but so that Toronto could grow and prosper to be one of the greatest cities on earth. My highest condolences to his family

I actually had to get downtown that morning since I was catching a Greyhound bus to Peterborough, and left a half hour early because if the incident. Didn't have too much of a problem catching a bus, and it was a nice day to take the scenic route, though there was definitely a depressed mood on the bus because of this tragedy.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #362
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10972

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post

So if the people in Toronto feel that their trains look nice, then that's all that matters to Toronto. Post pictures of them in this international forum, though, and one should expect to get a mixed bag of opinions.
Like alot of Toronto, the subway cars are as bland as possible, but do the job required very well. If you gave Toronto a choice between 4 designs, I guarantee you Toronto will choose the most boring, square design because the others will be considered plain wacky. It's the ultra conservative, stubbornly rigid, Scottish roots of this city at play.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'd rather have an efficient system than a good looking one. I hate settling, but who has a choice. What I can't accept is the subway stations. They are simply atrocious. They are the most depressingly dreary, cramped, poorly designed, dingy, bland, uninspiring, ugly, uninviting places I could possibly have dreamt up in my worst nightmare. You want to get out of there as quickly as possible. A subway could offer such dramatic and amazing architectual features due to it being buried. We get a concrete worm hole.

Alot of Torontonians are going to slag me for what I've said, but you don't get better, unless you demand it.

Canadian Empire liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #363
Electrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Like alot of Toronto, the subway cars are as bland as possible, but do the job required very well. If you gave Toronto a choice between 4 designs, I guarantee you Toronto will choose the most boring, square design because the others will be considered plain wacky. It's the ultra conservative, stubbornly rigid, Scottish roots of this city at play.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'd rather have an efficient system than a good looking one. I hate settling, but who has a choice. What I can't accept is the subway stations. They are simply atrocious. They are the most depressingly dreary, cramped, poorly designed, dingy, bland, uninspiring, ugly, uninviting places I could possibly have dreamt up in my worst nightmare. You want to get out of there as quickly as possible. A subway could offer such dramatic and amazing architectual features due to it being buried. We get a concrete worm hole.

Alot of Torontonians are going to slag me for what I've said, but you don't get better, unless you demand it.
Some of the stations on the Spadina line are kinda of spiffy. But besides that, I totally agree. Especially some of the ones near Parkdale. Disgusting doesn't even begin to describe Dufferin station...
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #364
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

it's what you get from a democracy.

want nice looking stations? vote NDP... your taxes will be paying for it.

it's a balance... as always. Taxes vs. goodies
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 07:58 AM   #365
plumbum

Likes (Received): 0

Voting NDP has nothing to do with this. Canada in general does not fund infrastructure. The US has some great looking subway stations in most cities with subways. Washington, Boston, San Francisco and heck even LA have nicer looking stations then Toronto.

The nicest looking stations are in Europe and the former U.S.S.R. as they are lavish with chandeliers and marble floors.

For Toronto, I would at least like clean stations with wider platforms and more than one bloody stairwell/escalator for getting into and out of some downtown stations. Deplorable that Toronto builds its infrastructure with the mentality that it's a small town and not a large metropolis.

We are so behind in transit and subway construction that I'm afraid we'll never catch up. I saw screw this whole bs about climate change and global warming, and funnel some much needed cash to the TTC for expansion yesterday!
plumbum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:35 PM   #366
elkram
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
They are the most depressingly dreary
OK, but at least no passenger there needs to wait long for a train!

Quote:
, cramped, poorly designed
Yep. The Yonge station always made me alert. Is there any plan to double up the platforms to accommodate the swarming crowds down in the lower level of that junction? Such an expansion would've relieved service congestion as well as my fear of underground fire there. Even the trains above at the Bloor station used to often slow for their entries alongside the downtown-bound platform mornings.
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:45 AM   #367
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram View Post
Yep. The Yonge station always made me alert. Is there any plan to double up the platforms to accommodate the swarming crowds down in the lower level of that junction? Such an expansion would've relieved service congestion as well as my fear of underground fire there. Even the trains above at the Bloor station used to often slow for their entries alongside the downtown-bound platform mornings.
Nope. Yonge station is located between the supporting columns for 2 Bay St. (the Hudson's Bay Tower).

Any expansion of the platforms would be hampered by the presence of those columns.

for a more detailed explanation, see what steve munro has to say about it.

http://stevemunro.ca

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:17 PM   #368
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

Instead of expanding horizontally, they can try to build vertically. They can do a double-deck station, and open up more space for escalators and stairs.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:22 AM   #369
elkram
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
2 Bay St. (the Hudson's Bay Tower).
heh heh -- East Bloor, not West, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Instead of expanding horizontally, they can try to build vertically. They can do a double-deck station, and open up more space for escalators and stairs.
This sounds needed, although I wonder if the necessity of establishing another subway line, spurring new platforms to the junction 100 or 200 metres away, or instead incorporating the ridiculously nearby Bay station into the transfer scheme to relieve the pressure would be more practical. That transfer's too brimming with passengers.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:35 AM   #370
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram View Post
heh heh -- East Bloor, not West, right?
oops, that should have been 2 Bloor St. (just east of Yonge) not 2 Bay St. (which would be down by harbourfront).

funny thing, iirc there is a Bloor St. W, a Bloor St. E, and a Bloor St. for a short distance in between.....

Cheers, m

Last edited by allurban; May 3rd, 2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:28 PM   #371
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

I find the most annoying thing to be the tiny and narrow stairways/escalators in ridiculously loaded stations during rush hour.

College station is so overloaded during rush hour, and there are 2 super narrow passageways from the platforms to the station. This is why I usually try to run out as soon as doors open to be one of the first people on the stairs, since I like to walk very fast and people are slow

With regards to the trains, who cares how they look, they are the widest and most air conditioned things I've ever seen It is a pleasure to ride in them.
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #372
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I find the most annoying thing to be the tiny and narrow stairways/escalators in ridiculously loaded stations during rush hour.

College station is so overloaded during rush hour, and there are 2 super narrow passageways from the platforms to the station. This is why I usually try to run out as soon as doors open to be one of the first people on the stairs, since I like to walk very fast and people are slow

With regards to the trains, who cares how they look, they are the widest and most air conditioned things I've ever seen It is a pleasure to ride in them.
have you heard of the TTC subway riders efficiency guide? It is a pocket guide with lots of little details about the TTC, including where the platform exits are, so you can get out of the train and station faster....

When the newer trains come in (with the gangways between cars) the efficiency guide will be very useful :-p

Cheers, m
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #373
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:

I wouldn't "slag" you over it...I just think it's a bad analogy to use for the city at large. New York's subway system is a hell of a lot worse, and you wouldn't use that as an excuse to call that city boring or whatever would you? Toronto was designing and building it's subway right after the war...NOBODY was doing that then.

Besides, Toronto is not like that regardles...it's incredibly diverse in more than just the places of origin of its inhabitants...it's very cutting edge in most of what it does....from the stock market to the world's first legal gay marriage...and everything inbetween. It's more like New York USED to be...in it's heyday. Toronto is experimenting in so many different directions, you just can't pin a label on it....which you can of most cities.

I wouldn't use the subway system (good or bad perceptions) to define the city as a whole.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #374
p5archit

Likes (Received): 1

Wow-anyone notice the banner today?? Holy crap that is a great shot!!

One thing NYC does have is an extensive transit system, which not only serves the city well, but also reaches quite far outside of the city's limits. It may be in dire need of repair and look like shit, but I would take it any day in replacement of our system. That said, I don't really care ultimately, how beautiful the stations are, because after all, how long am I really spending in there, not to mention, I would rather they spend the money on expanding the system or upgrading whatever needs to be upgraded than making attractive stations. However, this argument is only valid for our present TTC system- if in the future we have more money and the system has been expanded and we are not complaining for tax dollars to keep the machinery working then I am all for a more visually appealing system..Definitely!!! But until, we have something more- like 4 lines, ie: an Eglinton Line and a Queen Line or such-then lets worry about getting this system back on track..

It couldn't hurt to finally introduce the f-ing smart card either ..these things help the passenger flow immensely -but for some reason the TTC brass is so keen on keeping the token and cash fair around..and fails to see the advantage in such devices/systems....

LETS CHANGE THIS ALREADY...its ******* 2007...!!

p5

Last edited by p5archit; May 4th, 2007 at 06:28 AM. Reason: bisnatchio
p5archit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #375
Electrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5archit View Post
Wow-anyone notice the banner today?? Holy crap that is a great shot!!

One thing NYC does have is an extensive transit system, which not only serves the city well, but also reaches quite far outside of the city's limits. It may be in dire need of repair and look like shit, but I would take it any day in replacement of our system. That said, I don't really care ultimately, how beautiful the stations are, because after all, how long am I really spending in there, not to mention, I would rather they spend the money on expanding the system or upgrading whatever needs to be upgraded than making attractive stations. However, this argument is only valid for our present TTC system- if in the future we have more money and the system has been expanded and we are not complaining for tax dollars to keep the machinery working then I am all for a more visually appealing system..Definitely!!! But until, we have something more- like 4 lines, ie: an Eglinton Line and a Queen Line or such-then lets worry about getting this system back on track..

It couldn't hurt to finally introduce the f-ing smart card either ..these things help the passenger flow immensely -but for some reason the TTC brass is so keen on keeping the token and cash fair around..and fails to see the advantage in such devices/systems....

LETS CHANGE THIS ALREADY...its ******* 2007...!!

p5
Besides the Newark subway/LRT, I'm pretty sure the NYC subway does not extend past the city limits. And those two systems mentioned aren't run by NYC's MTA (kind of like how a YRT or Mississauga bus enters Toronto).
Old May 4th, 2007, 07:05 AM   #376
leaf345

Likes (Received): 2

I usually use the stations south of bloor, and they're okay-ugly, but clean enough and they seem generally well mantained. But a few months ago I headed all the way up to Finch, and I couldn't believe how bad the station was. It had just snowed, and there was literally water leaking from the surface into the stairwells. There was a big chunk of the ceiling missing too. Have they fixed that yet? I was afraid the whole station was about to cave in.
leaf345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:26 PM   #377
elkram
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
Nope. Yonge station is located between the supporting columns for 2 Bay St. (the Hudson's Bay Tower).
Hang on -- sorry -- I always muddled up the names of that junction, because downstairs platforms had the nameplate ''Yonge'' while the upstairs ones were plaqued with ''Bloor'', no? (It took me some getting used to there being two and three names each to two of the city's lines.)

It was the island platform downstairs at Yonges/Bloor that caused me to become precautious (aware of as much of what was going on around me as possible, pickpockets being the furthest thing from mind while waiting there).

It was frightening, the constrictions there oughtta be resolved. My initial suggestion was four platforms constituting the green line stop, e.g., two island platforms.

Pah! that whole junction makes me think the city really deserves a tall U-shaped line, broadly bottoming along Dundas or Queen Street.
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #378
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
Besides the Newark subway/LRT, I'm pretty sure the NYC subway does not extend past the city limits. And those two systems mentioned aren't run by NYC's MTA (kind of like how a YRT or Mississauga bus enters Toronto).
Doesn't the MTA cover the commuter rail going to Long Island and Connnecticut as well?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM   #379
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12279

Quote:

Just curious what you think of the trains in New York City and London?
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #380
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
One thing NYC does have is an extensive transit system, which not only serves the city well, but also reaches quite far outside of the city's limits. It may be in dire need of repair and look like shit, but I would take it any day in replacement of our system.

I think you aren't speaking from experience, and suffer from a bit of grass-is-greener syndrome. No...the NY subway system does not run outside of the city proper. And while it may be extensive...as in how much track and how many stations there are, it is not more efficient necessarily in terms of using it. It's actually easier in many cases to get from point A to B on the TTC. Not only that, but TTC trains run more frequently. The MTA is a state-run "authority", rather than a municipally run transit system like the TTC.

Add to that, the dismal state of affairs (economically and physically) on the NY subway system, and there's no way in hell I would trade it for the TTC.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto