daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2004, 10:05 PM   #21
cntower
Indus Priest King

Likes (Received): 9744

Looks? People care about Looks of Subway Cabs?

What the hell is the point of making a subway cab look good when 90% of the time it's UNDERGROUND! Who's gonna care? The people who ride it? I think they have better things to do like GET TO WORK or SCHOOL then to view a paint job of a subway car!

I like these cabs; they look solid!
cntower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #22
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 10

A subway car is a subway car. Who cares.

The 1970 RT cars are indeed outdated.

Montreal cars are nice - but not a fan of the rubber tires (makes the ride a little more bumpy than others).
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 03:08 AM   #23
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Appearance isn't the biggest factor in public transport usage, but with attractive appearance--whatever that may be for a given region in the world--more people would consider using public transportation utilities.

So if the people in Toronto feel that their trains look nice, then that's all that matters to Toronto. Post pictures of them in this international forum, though, and one should expect to get a mixed bag of opinions.
Old October 28th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #24
salvius

Likes (Received): 12

^ I think the fact that there was some consensus that the RT cars looked better makes me not take these comments very seriously.
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:00 AM   #25
SD

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB
I'm talking about those little cars people buy and put those little coffee can looking things on their tailpipes to pretend it sounds like a Ferrari.

Anyway, that's not really important....I'm talking about people's cheezy taste.

KGB

Usually Civics...those are great cars. Many of the ground effects and customizations you can get are indeed cheesy but there is some nice stuff out there too.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #26
SD

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB
Well...that's just the point...these things actually look good...the TTC could have just as easily had them made to look like Lamborghinis if they wanted to. But why would they do that? People have better taste here I guess....the rest of you can have an orgasm over your tacky toys if you like....we'll stick with professional.

If you are going to open a restaurant...do you buy the big pro range...or an Easy-Bake oven?

KGB

They wouldn't do it because of cost. I personally like our subway trains, I think they look great, but I don't think exterior aesthetics were at the top of the priority list.

I wish they'd go red like the old Rockets. As a kid I remember they'd run one once in a while...those were great.
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #27
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

The new T-1s are fabulous, except for the seats - hard as a rock. I used to like the older models that had couchier seats (they actually were more like couches as there were no divisions into individual seats). But gawd were they noisy compared to the new ones.

The RT is mixed bag. It's not visually bad, but it does look old-school. It also has the same uncomfortable seats, and with stupidly narrow aisles!

There's a difference between appealing appearance and clean appearance. The T-1s are an efficiency thing, but even still, they look like what they are - subway cars. The much wider windows on them compared to their predecessors also adds some good aesthetic by shape alone, letting it speak for itself.

If I was going to alter the design at all, it would only be a single stripe - that's it, representative of the line it services (Green = B/D, Yellow = Y/U/S, Purple = Sheppard). It's not necessary though. Tokyo Metro employs this method/logic, but they have a much more complicated system that justifies it.
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 01:24 PM   #28
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

"I wish they'd go red like the old Rockets. As a kid I remember they'd run one once in a while...those were great."

Yea...the origional Gloucesters...they actually ran some of them right up to 1990. I remember them back when they had those round glass incandescent lights that would flicker when the subway went through switches.

The new T-1's brought back the pull-down handles of the origionals...much better than that maze of bars all over the place.

These were short though...57 feet vs the usual 75 feet. Damn well built though...even by the 1980s, although reaching the end of their lives, they remained in such good condition that Lima, Peru seriously considered buying the cars for their new subway system.

KGB

Last edited by KGB; October 29th, 2004 at 01:34 PM.
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:14 AM   #29
spsmiler

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB
"I wish they'd go red like the old Rockets. As a kid I remember they'd run one once in a while...those were great."

Yea...the origional Gloucesters...they actually ran some of them right up to 1990. I remember them back when they had those round glass incandescent lights that would flicker when the subway went through switches.

The new T-1's brought back the pull-down handles of the origionals...much better than that maze of bars all over the place.

These were short though...57 feet vs the usual 75 feet. Damn well built though...even by the 1980s, although reaching the end of their lives, they remained in such good condition that Lima, Peru seriously considered buying the cars for their new subway system.

KGB

The old Gloucesters were built in Britain, and painted red to match the London Underground trains.

As a Brit I found them fascinating because they combined features which here were to be found on a diverse range of urban rail systems.

Things such as the lampshades, the push-buttons to open the doors, etc.

Simon
spsmiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:25 AM   #30
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

Passengers can use monthly passes on electronic cards or tokens, which are dime-sized coins that can be dropped into fareboxes.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #31
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Train Interior

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 26th, 2004, 07:48 AM   #32
Jaybird

Likes (Received): 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe

happy???
Charming. Looks like a carbon copy of Detroit's People Mover trains.
Jaybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 07:31 AM   #33
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

The "rt"s, aren't they just on the Scarborough section of the subway and most of their time is spent above ground, while the main TTC trains are mostly underground. I like the cars that have been around forever.

I'm glad to see that the Sheppard Line is partially completed. Will it go farther west than Sheppard station? How about to the airport?
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #34
M II A II R II K

Likes (Received): 619

I wonder what the next train will look like....
Old November 28th, 2004, 04:35 AM   #35
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The subway link to the airport was part of the Eglinton subway plan. However, it seems that a dedicated airport link to downtown will be built instead. The focus on the Sheppard line is to extend it east to Scarborough Town Centre.

Old November 28th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #36
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Passengers can use monthly passes on electronic cards or tokens, which are dime-sized coins that can be dropped into fareboxes.

The ttc is finally planning to scrap this system and use smart cards...here's an article

'Smart-card' use wise for future, TTC decides
Toronto transit to join provincial plan allowing riders seamless travel in GTA

By JEFF GRAY
Saturday, November 27, 2004 - Page A21

In just five years, the Toronto Transit Commission's tokens, paper tickets and transfers could be collectors' items, its vice-chairman predicts, because of a move announced yesterday to join the province's regional transit "smart card" plan.

TTC vice-chairman Joe Mihevc said that under the plan, which involves GO Transit and the other major transit systems in the greater Toronto area, state-of-the-art smart-card readers will eventually replace the TTC's fare boxes, and allow riders onto buses, streetcars and subways with just a flick of the wrist.

"Five years is not a long time, but I don't think I'm being aggressive or ambitious in saying that 2010 is a good guess," Mr. Mihevc said yesterday, adding that the new technology would kill the trade in bogus tickets and tokens, which costs the TTC at least $2-million a year.

The province's Greater Toronto Area fare-card plan aims to allow riders to transfer seamlessly from system to system across the region, using one common electronic card. But until now, TTC staff, often accused of being overcautious on technology, were reluctant to get involved because of the estimated $140-million cost of converting the TTC alone.

Yesterday, TTC commissioner Brian Ashton told a breakfast conference put on by the Canadian Urban Institute that the TTC had signed on to the province's plan, which aims to have its first smart cards in use by 2007, for tests on Mississauga's transit system and the Milton GO train line.

"We feel the future's upon us now," Mr. Ashton said in an interview, adding that it took some persuading to move senior TTC brass. "This is a big departure for us."

The new cards, which are in place in scores of cities around the world, allow transit riders to board buses, subways or streetcars by holding the card close to a reading device.

The cards themselves, with a microchip embedded, can be used like credit cards, with cash uploaded via vending machines or the Internet. The right combination of fares is charged to the user automatically, whether the card is used on a bus in York Region or a subway downtown.

Mr. Mihevc said the TTC's change of heart on the plan came as it became clear that Queen's Park gave it priority. Also, money to establish the system is part of the $1-billion funding announcement from senior levels of government earlier this year.

By 2007, the TTC's smart-card readers could be installed for test runs at Finch and Union stations, he said, although details still have to be worked out.

Danna O'Brien, speaking for Ontario Transportation Minister Harinder Takhar, said the government is delighted that the TTC, which carries more than 90 per cent of all transit riders in the GTA, has chosen to participate.

"I think for it to truly work you need all municipalities . . . and you certainly wouldn't want a gap in the middle of Toronto," Ms. O'Brien said, adding that the whole project was still subject to various approvals.

The latest generation of smart cards, called contactless because they merely need to be held close to a reader rather than swiped through like a credit card, are in use in several world cities.

With Hong Kong's Octopus system of transit smart cards, launched in 1997, you can buy a coffee, among other things. You can even charge up a chip in your wristwatch with cash, and use it instead.

In September, the Netherlands launched the first phase of a project to put the entire country's transit on one smart card, beginning with the city of Rotterdam.

Jeroen Kok, chairman of the company set up to run the Dutch smart-card system, Trans Link Systems, also spoke at yesterday's transit conference.

He said smart cards allow transit agencies to better understand how many riders are using the system.

With paper tickets, he said: "It's kind of like having an oil company and you don't know how much oil is flowing from the pipes. How can you plan?"

TTC chief general manager Rick Ducharme said the smart card won't necessarily eliminate fraud, because criminals will inevitably find ways to beat the system. He also wasn't quite as optimistic as the vice-chairman on the early demise of tickets and tokens, saying he thought they would likely have to co-exist with smart cards, at least at first. "Most agencies I'm aware of have to have something [for people without smart cards]. . . ., " he said.
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #37
hkskyline
Hong Kong

December 2, 2004
GTA transit numbers jump
Kevin McGran, Toronto Star

There's a quiet revolution happening: more people are riding transit.

There will be at least 11 million more rides on transit in 2004 than 2003 across Greater Toronto, if current trends hold. Most of them will be on the TTC, which is rebounding from SARS and the blackout, but GO Transit and all the 905 services are seeing a significant rise in use as well.

For the first half of 2004, there were more than 271.3 million rides on buses, subways, streetcars and trains on transit authorities in the region enclosed by and including Hamilton, Barrie and Oshawa, according to the Canadian Urban Transit Association. That's 5.8 million rides more than the first six months of 2003, or about a 2.2 per cent increase.

"Of the various initiatives that transit systems can take to encourage ridership, improving the quality and frequency of service is the one that has the most effect," said Michael Roschlau, president of the association, a lobby group for Canadian transit authorities and suppliers.

Yesterday, GO Transit said it added more than 1 million riders in the first six months of 2004, a 6.5 per cent increase over last year. For GO, the new riders are the result of increased service. GO added 11 new passenger railcars with more than 1,400 additional seats and 22 new buses to make room for 4,600 more riders every day.

"Any time we add capacity, it gets picked up," said Gordon Chong, chairman of GO Transit. "As much as we'd like to claim credit, the truth is the system is bursting and the people who would love to use transit are there, and if we can supply the capacity, whether it's trains, buses, additional parking, they'll come."

While the TTC attributes its rebound to a SARS-free and blackout-free economy, the trend upward is perhaps even more notable in the 905, where the car rules.

The trend began in 2003. About 3 million more people took municipal buses in 2003 in Durham, Halton, Peel and York regions than they did in 2002. That's a 6 per cent rise to 53,198,411 from 50,480,347.

York Region Transit is leading the way with 10 per cent growth annually for the last three years and the numbers are keeping up this year, surpassing 10 million rides for the first time in 2003. (Their numbers don't include the estimated 1.5 million riders who switched to their service when YRT took over a couple of GO bus routes.) Don Gordon, general manager of YRT, said the amalgamation of the region's various bus services under one banner has helped.

"We've almost doubled service since amalgamation," said Gordon. "With more service and more service hours, it's only logical that you would grow ridership. In addition to that, there's organic ridership growth just caused by population and employment growth.

"But there's no question improvement in service has attracted more people to public transit."

In Durham Region, transit ridership is up marginally. Whitby and Oshawa lost some riders in 2003, but Ajax-Pickering gained about 60,000. Oshawa and Whitby are working closer than they ever have to improve service, introducing a cross-border route. Oshawa ridership is up 14 per cent so far this year, mostly due to increased traffic to the local university and the addition of seven new buses.

And Durham Region is close to finalizing plans to follow York Region and amalgamate all its services. Mississauga surpassed 25 million riders for the first time in 2003, and is tracking higher for 2004. Brampton and Oakville are also enjoying growth spurts.

Old December 6th, 2004, 03:19 AM   #38
Roch5220
My dog rules

Likes (Received): 10

^ Good news of course, but still disappointing that ridership still hasn't fully recovered from the late 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
For the first half of 2004, there were more than 271.3 million rides on buses, subways, streetcars and trains on transit authorities in the region enclosed by and including Hamilton, Barrie and Oshawa, according to the Canadian Urban Transit Association. That's 5.8 million rides more than the first six months of 2003, or about a 2.2 per cent increase.

York Region Transit is leading the way with 10 per cent growth annually for the last three years and the numbers are keeping up this year, surpassing 10 million rides for the first time in 2003. (Their numbers don't include the estimated 1.5 million riders who switched to their service when YRT took over a couple of GO bus routes.) Don Gordon, general manager of YRT, said the amalgamation of the region's various bus services under one banner has helped.
York Region only has annual ridership of 10 million rides yet they want billions of dollars to increase ridership to a meager 38%.
Roch5220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:43 AM   #39
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

^Yes, I too find that a little on the ridiculous side.

I am glad to hear about a smart card system as they are a much more effecient way to get occasional users to pay fares.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives." --John Stuart Mill

Special thanks to Ttownfeen for giving me the author of the quote above

To quote some wise men whos names I can not remember:

"Conservative politics is like masterbation, it takes a lot of jerking things around and only pays off for those who do it."
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 06:44 PM   #40
hkskyline
Hong Kong

There are several key routes in York Region Transit that feed into the TTC. The Yonge and Hwy 7 trunk routes bring a lot of ridership to the subway connection at Finch Station.

It's quite ironic that even YRT, with its low ridership levels, is investing a lot of money with real-time bus tracking, BRT, and new transit bays and shelters on the major corridors.

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto