daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #401
CANAUS
CANAUS

Likes (Received): 2

^ 95% of construction to be completed by 2020 as well.
CANAUS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #402
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
GO Richmond Hill rail line extension to Aurora Road
Shame it will probably be completed after I move out, but there were/are plans to build a GO Station where the tracks pass 19th and Bayview Ave, which is about a 20 minute walk away from me at most. Even if it didn't have all day trains, it would most likely have all day buses, and it would make getting into Toronto so much easier than the Viva/TTC combo.

Besides that, it looks good. I just wonder if there should be more investment in BRT, since I am skeptical of LRT's performance through right of ways in the middle of the road (separated grade though is okay). I also think the light rail plans for Hamilton should be merged into the GTA, or be run as BRT.

Though I must admit, it is kind of cute to see Hamilton try and be its own city rather than a suburb :P

Last edited by Electrify; June 16th, 2007 at 05:48 AM.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #403
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Another thing which I think would be a good idea, though received little fanfare in the Toronto forum would be to replace a couple of lanes on the 401 with a LRT. In theory, it would be like adding another 10 lanes to the widest expressway on earth, and would be the most efficient way of connecting Toronto with its suburbs with rapid transit.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:06 AM   #404
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Yeah, I wonder how the air-rail link will go, and who will run it. Are the Blue 22 people still in it?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #405
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10384

Wow, pretty ambitious.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #406
hamiltonguyo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
I also think the light rail plans for Hamilton should be merged into the GTA, or be run as BRT.

Though I must admit, it is kind of cute to see Hamilton try and be its own city rather than a suburb :P

Yes because Hamilton is THAT small.

We are the 9th Largest Census Metropolitan Area in Canada, and only 7% or so commute to the GTA. Just for your info the Hamilton CMA includes Grimsby and Burlington.

The density of Hamilton's CMA is one of the highest in Canada.

Considering that certain areas (south of Mohawk Road, Ancaster, Upper Stone Creek, Burlington, and Grimsby) are sprawlville, and large areas are Farmland, the lower city (Where the first line is) NEEDS LRT, as it is so dense. The Cities plan is for BRT on both right now, however the Mayor has opened up the possibility of LRT on the lower city corridor now that the Province will actually pay something towards the cost.

Our City has needed Rapid Transit for a long time, and it's about time the Province wised up to the long left out 3rd city of Ontario.
hamiltonguyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #407
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkram View Post
Congratulations, Ontario! this all seems quite promising:

GTA, Hamilton transit systems get $17.5B in Ont. funding

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...it-subway.html

I particularily like the prospect of your Lakeshore GO line becoming electrified . . .
Wanna wait until after the election before expecting anything? Like anybody takes Buddy Dalton seriously anymore...
I mean, McGuinty chronicles, a synopsis:
2003? Poor!
2004? POOR!
2005? DIRT POOR! NEW TAXES!
2006? Spare change?
2007 (Election year)? RICH!!!! RICH I TELLS YAH! WHO'S YOUR BUDDAAAAAAY?!

Election promises

Even if they started construction before the election, if John Tory wins (heaven forbid), all construction would be halted immediately and all work be undone restored to the state prior to groundbreaking. That's what happened in 1995 and it would happen again. We need to learn from our history and make sure the same mistakes are not repeated. The only government that has been serious about building subways in a non-political-oriented fashion in the past 2 decades is the Rae NDP.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #408
elkram
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post
Wanna wait
Sorry, I wish I'd care to read the dreadful points you seem to be making. The scale of these wished transit improvements thought up by Ontario had been unheard of in this country, so I'm REALLY pleased the subject of necessary expansion's finally being brought up . . .

Yeah, I guess even beyond period(s) of construction, there's bound to be a sizably additional factor to waiting further (further, and further).
elkram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:11 AM   #409
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen View Post
Yeah, I wonder how the air-rail link will go, and who will run it. Are the Blue 22 people still in it?
From what I've been hearing on some other boards, it will likely end up being GO Service, but whether it will be the Crosstown Line or the line leading to Union, a combination of both, or a completely separate new line stub is still up in the air from what it seems. Also, the Eglinton LRT line option to run to Pearson will likely be used now that the city isn't cutting the bill for 1/3 of the costs.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:45 AM   #410
Siopao
レジスタドユーザー

Likes (Received): 100

Oh gosh, up to Barrie!? this definitely knocks off Dubai's projects! haha
Siopao no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #411
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen View Post
Blue 22 died officially the other month. The Weston Community Coalition was pretty happy about the motion passing in the legislature that separated GO Transit from any involvedment with Blue 22's plans and EAs. The result means GO can go ahead with its improvements along the corridor and basically monopolize it while Blue 22 is left out to dry in the cold.

It's a pretty impressive story that shows that there is some hope out there in the system... with a catch 22 (instead of Blue 22 )- the system lets you make sure some things don't happen but it does not allow you to make sure some things do happen. You can make them stop projects but you can't make them start projects.

Old June 19th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #412
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Great news. The way to better future. Many cities woefully underinvesting in infrastructure.
I hope that the Feds come up with their third so that construction can begin.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 08:55 AM   #413
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

123 kms of new LRT lines for the City of Toronto (plus some subway extensions).

With this new provincial money (and some fed money to come), it might actually get built.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM   #414
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANAUS View Post
^ 95% of construction to be completed by 2020 as well.
better than that...some of the construction (for some of the GO routes) has already started...and according to sources, the government is in the process of changing the regulations for environmental assessment...which should help save time in the EA process.

stevemunro.ca has alot of interesting comments too.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM   #415
TRZ

The EA process has such a stupid beauracracy to it. I agree with what it is supposed to accomplish, but their method sucks tremendously and they must expedite the process considerably, it is horrible for business.

The peanut on Don Mills is so visible in that map

Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:55 PM   #416
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Much of the EA process is simply a make-work project.
As far as I'm concerned there should be no EA process on any LRT or GO rail expansion. Any tunneling EA process should be not done axssell { that word was at all.........my keyboard is swrewed up due to me spilling coffee on it} except there is an actual concern brough forward by an enviornmental group with a legitimate concern.
htf
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #417
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
123 kms of new LRT lines for the City of Toronto (plus some subway extensions).

With this new provincial money (and some fed money to come), it might actually get built.

KGB
I have a dumb question here.... when they say light rail, do they just mean streetcars with ROW's? Which would be fine by me.

Man, nothing short of a subway line is suitable for Eglinton. To me, that's short-sighted.
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #418
Xelebes
Salad Days Are Here

Likes (Received): 753

LRT = like subways, just a wee bit slower I think. Also smaller? Dunno, we can have 5 cars in Edmonton in our underground LRT parts.
Xelebes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #419
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
I have a dumb question here.... when they say light rail, do they just mean streetcars with ROW's?

Well, since there is no universal hard and fast definition, I can only make assumptions based on the "Toronto" context. Here, the difference between a "streetcar" and an LRT, is defined by road geomentry, not vehicles or stop/station placement......basically, a streetcar runs in mixed traffic, and an LRT runs on a ROW...that's why the Harbourfront/Spadina line is/was officially refered to as LRT, and not the other streetcar routes, even though it's the same vehicles.

Remember, up til now, Toronto has used "first generation" or old school LRT....the new lines will obviously use the new second generation LRT "trains".

Another difference is that most new LRT lines are not running right down exsting streets (ROW or not), and tend to have "stations" spaced farther apart, rather than the short distances between stops that Toronto has. But all of Toronto's new lines will be replacing bus routes, and I'm not sure whether the existing stops will be the same once it's converted to LRT.

The purpose of our old streetcars are "inter-neighbourhood" transit...not high speed transit like the subways. I'm assuming these new LRT lines are intended to provide service somewhere between streetcars and subways, but to do that would require less frequent stops than exist on the routes they replace...which could be a problem, as walking distances to stops will be greater, and could have a negative effect on ridership.

I'd be interested in knowing how they intend to handle this.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 07:23 AM   #420
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

I think one thing the TTC will have to do is have a different colour scheme or some such thing so that people can easily differentiate between regular streetcars and the LRT lines.
Maybe a different vehicle, train length, different clour, or different name like TTrain or whateveer/.
As an example GO buses are visually different from regular TTC buses or VIVA. In NA its not an issue because LRT is their own light rail system but Toronto is unique with still having an elaborate streetcar system. Translink has their successful BLines which are also very distinguishable from any other bus in the whole system due to their articulated cars and blue clour yet all other buses are red. The colour lets everone know the special bus coming without even having to wait to see the number/destination sign at the front.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto