daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #561
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
Yes, transferring Sheppard to LRT wouldn't be easy but a hell of a lot cheaper than ext Sheppard to STC or west Spadina/ Jane.
You might be surprised actually. Renovating an existing structure is more expensive than tearing down the old structure and building it new.
Quote:
It could be started in the east first closing Don Mills and when that is transferred the LRT could run that far and so on. It wouldn't have to be done all at once.
Hey genius, only at Sheppard-Yonge and Don Mills stations can trains turn around. Switches are not present at the rest of the in-between stations, IIRC, so that means yes, you do have to do it all at once.

Quote:
Remember transferring Sheppard to LRT will be an added cost but extending to Spadina/Jane will be hundreds of millions cheaper than ext Sheppard subway all the way over to Jane.
Except you haven't explained how the service disruption would be handled - which would be at least a year.

Quote:
Also as said Sheppard subway will decrease in ridership as not only will be a bigger pain in the ass than it already is but also much of the traffic takes the line to get to the Yong line but that traaffic will be as heavy when they will be able to take the coming DonMills LRT to the Bloor line.
Actually, the Don Mills LRT could become the Sheppard Subway's saving grace - far moreso than the Sheppard LRT.

Quote:
Transferring the whole line from on end to Malvern to Jane to complete LRT would save a small fortune than extending the Sheppard line to Spadina little alone than Jane.
You're still underestimating both the costs of the conversion itself and the costs associated with a year's (or more) disruption of service - and the lost ridership that would result from that disruption.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #562
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

TTC pair tell riders where to get off
Two staffers are the voices of automated system

National Post
7 December 2007

There are more than 13,000 bus stops in this city, and Cheryl Bome has said each and every one of them; some several times over.

Ms. Bome, a hardworking single mother from the west end, is one of the unlikely voices of the TTC's new $6.6-million automated stop announcement system. She can be heard on buses and streetcars across the city, letting riders know when to get off in a perfectly calm and measured tone--at least, by the time she was finished recording.

"Fortunately, we have the opportunity to record them perhaps two or three times if I get tongue-tied," Ms. Bome said.

Exactly 11,202 bus stops and 1,347 streetcar stops have been geo-coded on the TTC's GPS system so far; the remaining are to be completed by February.

Many of the stops have the same names -- there's a Finch East stop on all the north and south routes that cross the road, for instance -- so Ms. Bome had only about 5,500 voice files to record. She has already done 4,669, which are in use on buses throughout the city.

The task was big, but, in keeping with the transit system's perpetual money crisis, the recording process wasn't a costly operation. Both Ms. Bome, a TTC administrative assistant, and Sue Bigioni, a TTC communications assistant who taped the stop announcements for the 70-station subway system, are regular TTC staffers plucked from the crowd after a little market testing.

Interestingly, the two women say their voices are so much alike that even people who know them sometimes mistake Ms. Bome's announcements for Ms. Bigioni's, and vice versa.

"It's kind of funny that two independent focus groups picked voices that are very similar," Ms. Bigioni said.

The announcements were recorded in a makeshift studio in the office of the Talking Buses project manager, Steve Perron.

Some routes were more of a mouthful than others -- Lawrence East, for instance, has a whopping 207 stops.

Once recording was underway, the women realized many of Toronto's street names have multiple potential pronunciations.

One street Ms. Bome stumbled on was Fifeshire, a windy road in the area of York Mills and Bayview Avenue -- it turned out that the commonly preferred pronunciation of the second syllable was "sure," not "shire."

"It's all in the pronunciation," Ms. Bome said. "That's where a lot of the calls will come back in if you've mispronounced a particular street name."

Trethewey Drive, a street near Black Creek Drive and Eglinton Avenue West, is technically pronounced "Tretha-way," but is known to most Torontonians as "Tre-thoo-ey." Ultimately, the decision was made to record the names the way they were commonly spoken by locals or radio and television traffic announcers.

"You're not going to say 'Treth-a-way,' because no one's going to know to get off at the stop," Ms. Bome said.

Though neither woman plans to make voice work a future career, Ms. Bigioni has already been offered a paid job recording the English announcements on a transit system in China. The Mayor of Chongqing noticed her voice while visiting Toronto, and contacted Ron Wandel, the city's manager of investment attraction, to find out how to contact her. The Chinese city is currently preparing scripts for her.

Programs to automate announcements began about two years ago at both the TTC's surface and subway systems, when the commission decided all stops should be announced regularly. The plan was sped up in July, when the Ontario Human Rights Commission ruled the TTC had just 30 days to start announcing all surface route stops.

Ms. Bome says that with so many passengers listening in so many different places, it's hard not to get a little stage fright. But she has learned a few tricks through the recording process.

"If I thought about the millions of people that might hear it, I would get nervous," Ms. Bome said. "So I picture myself on the bus, and how clearly I would want to hear the voice announce the stop that I needed."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #563
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post

Eglinton, Jane, and Finch. Sheppard should be sent to at least 4th place, I'd say 5th since the West Waterfront Line should also go ahead of Sheppard, but the TTC is eager to end the subway issue once and for all.
I don't think the Eglinton line was included in the Move Ontario 2020 Quick Win head start EAs. I think the initial report said Sheppard, Jane and one more. I forgot which it was. But it shouldn't have been Eglinton.

I'm sure the TTC sees it as important, heck I see it as important. But what determines first place? Certainly not TTC, they're not paying for the entire thing. And the Eglinton along with Down Valley West and York South raiding ridings (which the Eglinton line will eventually run through) already votes liberal.

However, Parkdale on the Jane line votes NDP. Zimmerman in Willowdale still holds a shaky lead in willowdale along the Finch line. The Don Valley East long the Don Mills line has been very safe liberal, and everything along the Sheppard line are Liberal. Morningside line has a couple iffy ridings and the rest are pretty much safely liberal as well.

I'd think Jane Finch and Morning side are good vote winning start-ups for the next time around. And people's needs aside, it's not like Eglinton Lawrence and York South are going to vote Tory the next time around. And plus, if they do their things right they can probably hold on to Don Valley West for one more time around as well. After all, Tory did piss off the Jews with his catholic School thing.

I'm sure public transit affects more than just one riding. But it affects the ridings that it passes through the most.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower

Last edited by UD2; December 10th, 2007 at 09:17 AM.
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #564
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2 View Post
I don't think the Eglinton line was included in the Move Ontario 2020 Quick Win head start EAs. I think the initial report said Sheppard, Jane and one more. I forgot which it was. But it shouldn't have been Eglinton.
But it IS Eglinton, these first three were the TTC's (and City Council's commissioners in particular) to decide, not Queen's Park's decision. I've read the report you're referring to, I know.

Quote:
I'm sure the TTC sees it as important, heck I see it as important. But what determines first place? Certainly not TTC, they're not paying for the entire thing.
They're not paying for it, true, but given the exceedingly large scope of MoveOntario2020, the province is simply not capable of trying to micromanage anything at this scale. They are going to be leaving it to the local level to make these decisions. They may prefer not to, I'll agree to that, but they are being forced to since it would require far too many resources among other problems for them to get too deeply involved themselves. They are being forced to do the smart thing and leave it to the municipal level and operator agencies to do the fine details, and we should be grateful it is playing out that way, because it results in the Eglinton Subway getting the green light as soon as possible.

Quote:
However, Parkdale on the Jane line votes NDP. Zimmerman in Willowdale still holds a shaky lead in willowdale along the Finch line.

I'm sure public transit affects more than just one riding. But it affects the ridings that it passes through the most.
As long as it isn't already on a subway line like Willowdale's and Parkdale's

Old December 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #565
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
TTC pair tell riders where to get off
Two staffers are the voices of automated system

Trethewey Drive, a street near Black Creek Drive and Eglinton Avenue West, is technically pronounced "Tretha-way," but is known to most Torontonians as "Tre-thoo-ey." Ultimately, the decision was made to record the names the way they were commonly spoken by locals or radio and television traffic announcers.

"You're not going to say 'Treth-a-way,' because no one's going to know to get off at the stop," Ms. Bome said.
Now that is interesting...I remember reading that "Yonge" is actually supposed to be pronounced "Yawnj"

But like "Treth-a-way" no one would get off at "Yawnj" station

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #566
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
Now that is interesting...I remember reading that "Yonge" is actually supposed to be pronounced "Yawnj"
What year? As long as I've been around, it's always been "Yuhngh" to me... is that phonetic spelling right?

Old December 11th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #567
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Free ride home New Year's Eve
7 December 2007
The Globe and Mail

Whether you're sweating in a packed nightclub, freezing at Nathan Phillips Square, or watching Dick Clark on TV with friends, if you pop too much bubbly on New Year's Eve, the TTC will get you home for free.

The Toronto Transit Commission voted in favour of a suggestion by chairman Adam Giambrone to offer free service after midnight on Dec. 31, as well as to extend the subway's hours to 4 a.m., in an effort to reduce drinking and driving.

The TTC last offered free New Year's admission in the late 1970s.

“Hopefully, what it will mean is that people will make the right decision when they are out having a good time on New Year's Eve, and decide to use the ‘Better Way' to get home,” Mr. Giambrone said.

He said the move will cost the cash-strapped transit agency – which had to raise fares by 15 cents this fall – only $80,000 to $90,000 in lost revenue.

(Last year, he said the idea wasn't possible, suggesting it would cost between $500,000 and $1-million.)

Mr. Giambrone added that the transit agency is now looking for corporate sponsors, observing that beer companies have picked up the tab for free New Year's Eve service for other transit agencies in the past.

The idea initially ran into resistance from the TTC's lawyer, Brian Leck, who argued that it might be necessary to charge a nominal fee, such as a penny, for legal reasons. For example, riders enter into a contract when they pay their fare, he said, giving the TTC power to eject people who are “unruly.” But the TTC later said all legal concerns were satisfied.

TTC chief general manager Gary Webster also said he doubted the move to free fares would result in a large number of new riders.

Many transit systems across the country, including Vancouver, Edmonton and Halifax, and other smaller bus services in the Toronto area, as well as GO Transit have offered free rides for New Year's Eve.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:35 AM   #568
UD2
A very cool person

Quote:
What year? As long as I've been around, it's always been "Yuhngh" to me... is that phonetic spelling right?
youngh??
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:39 AM   #569
UD2
A very cool person

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Free ride home New Year's Eve
7 December 2007
The Globe and Mail

Whether you're sweating in a packed nightclub, freezing at Nathan Phillips Square, or watching Dick Clark on TV with friends, if you pop too much bubbly on New Year's Eve, the TTC will get you home for free.

The Toronto Transit Commission voted in favour of a suggestion by chairman Adam Giambrone to offer free service after midnight on Dec. 31, as well as to extend the subway's hours to 4 a.m., in an effort to reduce drinking and driving.

The TTC last offered free New Year's admission in the late 1970s.

“Hopefully, what it will mean is that people will make the right decision when they are out having a good time on New Year's Eve, and decide to use the ‘Better Way' to get home,” Mr. Giambrone said.

He said the move will cost the cash-strapped transit agency – which had to raise fares by 15 cents this fall – only $80,000 to $90,000 in lost revenue.

(Last year, he said the idea wasn't possible, suggesting it would cost between $500,000 and $1-million.)

Mr. Giambrone added that the transit agency is now looking for corporate sponsors, observing that beer companies have picked up the tab for free New Year's Eve service for other transit agencies in the past.

The idea initially ran into resistance from the TTC's lawyer, Brian Leck, who argued that it might be necessary to charge a nominal fee, such as a penny, for legal reasons. For example, riders enter into a contract when they pay their fare, he said, giving the TTC power to eject people who are “unruly.” But the TTC later said all legal concerns were satisfied.

TTC chief general manager Gary Webster also said he doubted the move to free fares would result in a large number of new riders.

Many transit systems across the country, including Vancouver, Edmonton and Halifax, and other smaller bus services in the Toronto area, as well as GO Transit have offered free rides for New Year's Eve.
Only if they advertise this properly. Let people know about it. It'll be the best idea to get in contact with bars and nightclubs and have them channel the message through.

And exactly how are they going to deal with promissory estoppel entangled with a "gift" offer, when they need to refuse someone entrance onto the bus? Unless they found other forms of consideration? How do other free transit services operate? anyone know?
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #570
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
This goes back further than you do...

It goes back 215 years, back to the British general who they actually named the street after.

According to my textbook in Urban Toronto, his name was pronounced...as "Yawnj"

It makes me wonder, when did people start referring to Yonge St. as "Yuhngh" rather than "Yawnj"

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #571
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
This goes back further than you do...

It goes back 215 years, back to the British general who they actually named the street after.

According to my textbook in Urban Toronto, his name was pronounced...as "Yawnj"

It makes me wonder, when did people start referring to Yonge St. as "Yuhngh" rather than "Yawnj"

Cheers, m
That's interesting, and a good question indeed.

Old January 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #572
Northern Lotus

Likes (Received): 37

HELP:
I seem to have difficulty finding the exact length of TTC subway system, only vaguely remember it is 64 miles of km.
Thanks.
Northern Lotus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:31 AM   #573
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

68.3 km (including SRT)

Wikipedia is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_subway
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #574
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
68.3 km (including SRT)

Wikipedia is your friend
Wrong! Wikipedia is like crack, I can't stop clicking random page. I think I need to go to rehab or somethin'
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:59 AM   #575
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Man critical after bus platform beating

A man was taken to hospital in critical condition this afternoon after being severely beaten on the bus platform at the Sheppard subway's Don Mills station.

The man, whose name hasn't been released, was standing waiting for a bus at the station at about 3 p.m. when he was attacked by another man, said Toronto police Staff Sgt. David Simpkins.

The attacker robbed the victim, but police aren't yet saying what was taken.

The attacker then fled.

The victim was taken to hospital with critical injuries.

There have been no arrests.

Buses and trains are still operating at the station, which sits in North York at the far east end of the Sheppard subway line, TTC spokeswoman Marilyn Bolton said.

Buses are dropping passengers off outside the station, but aren't driving up to the bus platform while police investigate.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 416-808-3300 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/292907

Pretty scary, especially cause that station is near me and I sometimes use it during the midday...

Here's hoping they catch that SOB
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #576
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Kennedy subway closed
Toronto Star
February 05, 2008

Commuter headaches will continue today as Kennedy Station remains closed in the wake of yesterday’s train derailment.

Though repair crews worked throughout the night to open the section for today’s rush hour, the damage proved too extensive, forcing officials to keep the line closed for at least for the morning.

Buses will continue to shuttle passengers between the Warden and Kennedy stations, but commuters are being asked to factor the additional time into their trip.

Danny Nicholson, public affairs officer for the TTC, said it’s not known how long the station will remain closed, adding everything is being done to return subway service.

Service at the station was shut down around 1 a.m. Monday when a train was beginning its last westbound run along the Bloor-Danforth line. It was changing directions at the Kennedy subway station when the last car of a six-car train tipped off the track inside the tunnel.

Although it isn’t known what caused the accident, TTC Chair Adam Giambrone speculated yesterday something being dragged along the line was possibly to blame.

He said a section of the car’s undercarriage or a metal ceiling tile caught up underneath the train could have forced the car off the track.

The leaning car damaged the interior wall of the tunnel as well as switches, signals and portions of the track.

The train was travelling at a slow speed and none of the four riders, or two crew members, were injured.

With service stopped between Kennedy and Warden stations yesterday, the TTC scrambled 30 buses to shuttle passengers between the stations adding, on average, an extra 30 minutes to the commute. Kennedy station is a busy stop along the line as it connects the Bloor-Danforth line to the Scarborough RT and provides access to GO Transit.

With files from Tess Kalinowski

Old February 6th, 2008, 04:17 AM   #577
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

It's a shame that such a critical station would be shut down for two days in a row. Buses simply cannot makeup for a missing subway train. In effect the whole system was slowed because of this incident due to buses being rerouted to ferry passengers traveling past the derailment.

I'm disappointed that maintenance crews couldn't catch this... but then again, I'm not surprised at all. "Maintenance" is obviously kept at a bare minimum on the TTC. There's garbage floating around the tracks like strewn newspaper, water bottles and rodents running around the tracks all of the time. Broken escalators are routinely left for "repair" for 3 months in already antiquated stations which were not designed for the passenger flows that exist today.

All in all, the city has become all too reliant on an antiquated system with too few subway lines.
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #578
ale26

Likes (Received): 17

Bottom line...Toronto subways are crap.
ale26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:34 PM   #579
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

If it weren't for the fact that City Hall keeps plodding on between cutbacks and budget crises, I would have complete faith that Transit City would vastly improve the TTC. But not so, obviously.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #580
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
All in all, the city has become all too reliant on an antiquated system with too few subway lines
yet ridership grows from 444 million last year to 460 million this year.

Clearly shows the city, if we had a better system, ridership would be huge, and prehaps already way past 500-600 million riders a year...

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto