daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #701
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
So what exactly makes these ticket collectors so special that they ought to be paid at that amount an still not be satisfied? Are they bringing in so much more revenue growth to justify these rates?
Apparently they're trained to hear the specific 'ching' the proper fare in coin makes as it hits the bottom of the fare box. I suppose it is better to pay someone $50,000-$100,000 per year for this rather than invest in electronic fare collecting methods.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #702
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18136

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post
Well, first off, you have no clue what these ticket collectors USUALLY make. You're citation of 100k is for workers who have clocked up so much overtime that their annual pay doubled. That is a huge amount of overtime work. If they don't work overtime, they'd be much closer to 50k. Is 50k too much per year?
The average salary figure does not justify tail-end actual salary amounts. If the average ticket collector makes an average of $50k/year hypothetically, would paying 1 worker $1000/year working 8 hours a day for 5 days a week be OK as long as the average worker makes $50k/year? Clearly that doesn't make sense, and your logic / justification will lead to a lot of lawsuits. I'm questioning why public dollars are going to ticket collector salaries > $100k. Are they bringing the value to justify such salaries? From the Salary Disclosure 2008 website (http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/english/pub...8/munic08.html), I see 2 Station Collectors already, alongside other more senior roles such as :
- Route Supervisor
- Project Manager
- Solicitor
- Marketing Research Director
- Head, Mechanical Design

Clearly, the HR function hasn't done their job making sure salaries are in-line with the work and skillsets. I find it rather insulting that a Solicitor is making about the same as a Station Collector, given how much more training is required, although it is somewhat reassuring that this disclosure requirement allows the public to ask these questions on what their tax dollars are going to.

Quote:
Managers don't get paid for overtime, don't forget. However, the TTC definately does have big problems at the managerial level in certain departments, and these managers are screwing the TTC over in more ways than just finances. What you fail to realize is that these people have nothing to do with the ticket collectors and vehicle operators that you so vehemently hate because of a small handful who clocked up so much overtime they doubled their annual income.
If managers don't get paid for overtime, then I see even less reason why 2 Station Collectors should earn a salary over 100k each.

Quote:
Right. So, because we are having a hard time attracting COMPETENT people to work for the agency, let's lower the pay rate to make the situation worse! That'll solve everything! Just follow hkskyline's advice and the problem will go away Garbage collectors and TTC operators make similar amounts AFAIK.
So there is so little talent out there for people watching passengers drop their tokens, tickets, and change, that we should be paying Station Collectors what Solicitors, Project Managers, and Supervisors get. I'm surprised why people go to university anymore.

Quote:
Maybe you should read the article before running off on a tyrade and make an ass of yourself. It's called overtime. The TTC does not pay all of their ticket collectors 100k/year like you are so convinced is going on. Take a pill and welcome back to reality, you can simmer down now.
I suggest you check the disclosure website and go through the types of people earning these large salaries, and the names of the 2 Station Collectors making >100k a year. Yes, they do exist. Educate yourself, and question where your taxes are going. Funny how the TTC complains it is broke yet these things happen to slip by.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #703
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
The average salary figure does not justify tail-end actual salary amounts. If the average ticket collector makes an average of $50k/year hypothetically, would paying 1 worker $1000/year working 8 hours a day for 5 days a week be OK as long as the average worker makes $50k/year? Clearly that doesn't make sense, and your logic / justification will lead to a lot of lawsuits. I'm questioning why public dollars are going to ticket collector salaries > $100k. Are they bringing the value to justify such salaries? From the Salary Disclosure 2008 website (http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/english/pub...8/munic08.html), I see 2 Station Collectors already, alongside other more senior roles such as :
- Route Supervisor
- Project Manager
- Solicitor
- Marketing Research Director
- Head, Mechanical Design
Which part of overtime do you not understand, and what lawsuits are you referring to? Do you know that not paying overtime also leads to lawsuits? Do you know that you are bitching about a mere TWO collectors out of the whole army that is the TTC staff? Do you know how stupid you look digging into so much detail over all this when it is really just a simple matter of overtime pay being paid largely by the farebox - not public dollars as you mistakenly assumed. Even if it were public dollars, the TTC is legally required to pay these people the overtime they've clocked. Have you ever heard of labour laws? Why are you even talking about lawsuits when you clearly do not understand a thing about laws?

Quote:
Clearly, the HR function hasn't done their job making sure salaries are in-line with the work and skillsets. I find it rather insulting that a Solicitor is making about the same as a Station Collector, given how much more training is required, although it is somewhat reassuring that this disclosure requirement allows the public to ask these questions on what their tax dollars are going to.
1. It is not their tax dollars. 2. Like I keep telling you, it is called overtime. Your solicitor there is not clocking major overtime for said salary. Station collector is. Are you seeing a difference? It's a big difference.

Quote:
If managers don't get paid for overtime, then I see even less reason why 2 Station Collectors should earn a salary over 100k each.
Ever heard of "white collar" and "blue collar"? No, of course not, just like you've never heard of labour laws

Quote:
So there is so little talent out there for people watching passengers drop their tokens, tickets, and change, that we should be paying Station Collectors what Solicitors, Project Managers, and Supervisors get. I'm surprised why people go to university anymore.
There's more to it than that, but that's irrelevant, the point is that Project Managers and other professions get more money without the same level of overtime. Also, evident by your dramatic and exciting description of the job's responsibilities there, it is clearly a job people strive for to obtain [/sarcasm]. Not the most satisfying work, that's what post-secondary is supposed to lead to, not just higher pay (this is nothing new, pretty basic stuff here).

Quote:
I suggest you check the disclosure website and go through the types of people earning these large salaries, and the names of the 2 Station Collectors making >100k a year. Yes, they do exist. Educate yourself, and question where your taxes are going. Funny how the TTC complains it is broke yet these things happen to slip by.
Well, I suggest you educate yourself, because you are proving my point when you state there's only TWO.... TWO collectors! OMG, it's an ambush!!! Do you know how many of these people are on TTC staff? No, you don't, because you need to educate yourself.

The real question here, is why station collectors (or anybody blue collar) is cranking up that kind of overtime? You, you ask the wrong questions, but you're entertaining while you're at it

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #704
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

"station collectors" -- pah! -- I was stumped back in 2003 from learning that not even Broadview's s.c. could halt trains underpassing him -- strange, t'is the same here, the s.c. at Snowdon junction couldn't stop any train either through his domain there a couple of weeks ago -- wouldn't any passenger rather their becoming station masters, these key staff?

Quote:
If the average ticket collector makes an average of $50k/year hypothetically
Both "if" and "hypothetically" go here -- I remember being astonished in 2000 by a TTC job posting, quoting a train operator's wage in the $15 range (had the TTC stated $15.43 then?) . . .

Last edited by trainrover; April 14th, 2008 at 08:10 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #705
kelw

Likes (Received): 0

Hardly surprising given it is what they seem to have always wanted, but the TTC union has declared a strike as of Monday April 21 at 4 AM.

TTC striking as of 4 a.m. Monday

Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:40 AM

The TTC Union has declared a strike as of Monday at 4 a.m.

Meanwhile, the city has come up with an contigancy plan.

http://www.680news.com/news/topstory...17_114019_8520
kelw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #706
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

When you factor in the health benefits (tax payer funded health premiums), pension and other fringe benefits, TTC workers are even more grossly overpaid.. especially the booth monkeys.

When the TTC Commissioner is readying his bike to go to "work"... you know there's something horribly wrong with the TTC. Great work in negotiations, Adam Giambrone.. just great! Take your bike to work and let the poor who have NO feasible alternative way to get to work suffer.

TTC strike deadline set

Apr 17, 2008 04:04 PM
Tess Kalinowski
John Spears
Rob Ferguson
Staff Reporters

The clock is now ticking on a potential transit strike that could cripple Toronto Monday morning.

Toronto Transit Commission drivers and operators will not report for work starting at 4 a.m. on Monday unless a deal is reached by Sunday afternoon, Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 president Bob Kinnear said this morning.

If there's no contract agreement by 4 p.m. Sunday, he said, the union will begin notifying its 8,900 members that they are on strike.

Speaking at a news conference this morning, Kinnear said he regretted having to issue the strike deadline, but noted that there's still plenty of time for Mayor David Miller to step in.

"We haven't taken this decision lightly," said Kinnear. "We recognize the majority of Torontonians who use the TTC have no alternative but we cannot continue to subsidize this transit system."

Kinnear said the city of Toronto treats transit workers as second-class citizens when it comes to wages, benefits and pensions compared to other city employees.

TTC chair Adam Giambrone promised that TTC negotiators will "continue to discuss as long as it takes" to reach a settlement.

“We’re committed to a fair deal for our employees that is affordable to the City of Toronto," he said during a news conference at City Hall today.

"We’re encouraged that both sides have expressed a real willingness toward a negotiated settlement," he said.

“For those of you who’ve covered other collective agreements this isn’t always the case, and I think that bodes well for the next couple of days."

He appeared to draw a distinction between union negotiators and the actual drivers, ticket collectors and other workers who operate the TTC day to day.

“We’re also very committed to our front-line employees, and as you know they are not the ones at the table," Giambrone said.

"They are the ones who are serving the public each and every day, moving the 1.5 million people who use the TTC every day, and deserve our respect. They don’t conduct the negotiations.”

When asked what he plans to do in the event of a strike, Giambrone said he’s got his bike ready.

"I was the former chair of the cycling committee, so one of the advantages of that is I've got my bike ready, so if necessary I would do that,” he said.

"But hopefully we're going to avoid any situations and I'll be taking the TTC to work Monday."

Speaking to reporters in Toronto from China this morning, mayor Miller said the city needs to be fair to its workers but cannot afford to be too generous.

Miller also said he has no intention of getting involved in contract negotiations as the strike deadline looms.

Speaking in Barrie this afternoon, Premier Dalton McGuinty refused to comment directly when asked whether his government would end a transit strike with back-to-work legislation.

"I remain optimistic, as I must, that this will be resolved by the parties," McGuinty said. "I want to impress on the two sides that they have a very heavy responsibility."

source: http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/415567
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:07 AM   #707
FK

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
When the TTC Commissioner is readying his bike to go to "work"... you know there's something horribly wrong with the TTC. Great work in negotiations, Adam Giambrone.. just great! Take your bike to work and let the poor who have NO feasible alternative way to get to work suffer.
Yeah thats like adding insult to injury for those who heavily rely on the TTC, the Chairman taking out his bike.

We have people coming from downtown Toronto to Matheson/Eglinton (border of Mississauga/Toronto), should they be readying their bike as well Adam?
FK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #708
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FahadKhan View Post
Yeah thats like adding insult to injury for those who heavily rely on the TTC, the Chairman taking out his bike.

We have people coming from downtown Toronto to Matheson/Eglinton (border of Mississauga/Toronto), should they be readying their bike as well Adam?
Yes. I'd suggest biking to Kipling at the 409 and board a GO Train from there (Etobicoke North Station).

Keep in mind that the TTC Chair is not a negotiator, and is not at the bargaining table himself. It is up to the professionals to do the negotiations, if Adam gets involved himself he becomes a liability to himself and the city. If anybody is going to step in, it would have to be Miller, but that's complicated in its own right as well.

The fault to be applied here is squarely on that idiot Kinnear. Read the lies he spews out here:

Quote:
"we cannot continue to subsidize this transit system."

Kinnear said the city of Toronto treats transit workers as second-class citizens when it comes to wages, benefits and pensions compared to other city employees.
Does this fool not know that if his workers stuck to their schedules properly (I've got news for you: it isn't traffic that causes all of the delays, there's strong evidence that there are enough drivers with SHOCKINGLY poor work ethic screwing up the service provided (Steve Munro has convincing and irrefutable proof). These drivers are a minority, but a big enough minority to cause big problems across the network), that the system might not need the subsidies it gets because the service would then be more attractive and have higher ridership (along with higher revenues)? Kinnear does not subsidize anything, that's the biggest piece of bullshit to come from this guy's mouth ever, the subsidy comes from the city and province, and THE SUBSIDY GOES TO HIM AND HIS DAMN UNION, not the other way around (WTF!?), this guy is unbelievable, his combination of arrogance and ignorance should not be tolerated by anyone (this guy should have been out of a job since the illegal strike in 2006). How is the city treating TTC staff second-class when it pays them their health taxes?! Shove that argument up your ass, what a crock!

Old April 18th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #709
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

I really wish the TTC/city had the balls to fire anyone and everyone involved with that illegal strike. Not taking serious action against illegal strikes is basically just bending over for your employees.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #710
FK

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
I really wish the TTC/city had the balls to fire anyone and everyone involved with that illegal strike. Not taking serious action against illegal strikes is basically just bending over for your employees.
These strikes are some how legal, dont know how.
FK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #711
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FahadKhan View Post
These strikes are some how legal, dont know how.
He was referring to 2006, which did see an illegal strike, with no consequences to the TTC or its union beyond a small metropass discount for a lost day of service.

Old April 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM   #712
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Strike threats at the TTC? Not something special or extraordinary anymore. Doesn't it happen at least once a year these days, much like people get birthdays once a year.
Not unless they are without a contract every year.

Quote:
If the TTC were a private company, the salaries would probably drop by at least a third
So, you think a private company could possibly ever be as efficient at running transit, cut pay by a third, maintain the system with as good employees AND make a profit? What fantasy world are you living in? And under any private scenario, you can kiss the level of service good-bye. It's us transit users that would lose big time....every day.

Quote:
and there'll be no strike threats even then.
Yea...cause there are no unions in private companies...right? ha ha ha

Man...why don't you stick to something you have the slightest clue about. Whatever that might be?

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #713
KGB

And what's all this blather about collectors? As if they represent a significant number of union members.

Get something straight...collectors don't make as much as operators, and TTC operators make less per hour than Brampton operators...that's right, the person operating the busiest surface route (King car) makes less per hour average wages than a bus driver in Brampton (and it takes a lot more skill to drive the King streetcar).

The only way a collector is going to make 100k, is if they have 20+ years seniority, massive amounts of overtime, or most likely...a senior operator on light duty because of illness or injury.

This strike hinges on the TTC workers simply being paid their wages when losing time due to injury or assault on duty. That seems fair, given the amount of assaults against TTC employees every day.

My uncle was assaulted yet again just two weeks ago by a nutbar trying to get on without paying (AND demanding a transfer) while operating the King car. And I don't mean he was swore at...he was punched in the head. He was taken to the hospital just to be checked (required) and returned to work on his next shift.

He was not paid for the full shift in which he was assaulted, cause that's how it works currently. Do you think this is fair? Do you have any clue this is the shit they have to put up with on a daily basis?

Like I said before...unless all you clueless people have the slightest idea what the big picture is, why not cut back on the uninformed comments?

KGB
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #714
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
This strike hinges on the TTC workers simply being paid their wages when losing time due to injury or assault on duty.
No it doesn't, the previous reports on negotiations in the Globe and Mail quoted Kinnear as saying that this issue had been adequately addressed by subsequent offers.

Old April 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #715
KGB

Quote:
No it doesn't, the previous reports on negotiations in the Globe and Mail quoted Kinnear as saying that this issue had been adequately addressed by subsequent offers.
Then you need to read the Globe every day....

Quote:

JEFF GRAY

From Friday's Globe and Mail

April 18, 2008 at 3:02 AM EDT

Injured workers: Mr. Kinnear claimed victory last month, refusing to return to the table until the question of topping up workers compensation payments had been "adequately addressed." Yesterday, he reversed himself and said this demand has now "not been adequately addressed," as the TTC has made "some movement" to top up the 85-per-cent workers compensation payments for the victims of assault but not for workers hurt because of "unsafe" conditions.
But yea, I suppose hinged would be a little over-sated, as wages, pensions and benefits are also part of the negotiations.

KGB
Old April 19th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #716
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
Then you need to read the Globe every day....
I see (thanks for the recent update). The assault issue that you specifically cited has been addressed as I contested though. Kinnear can't make up his mind it seems though... I support the union's concerns of safety, but since that had previously been reported as resolved, my stance is - was now, that the union was overplaying their hand. "unsafe" conditions would include that carbon monoxide incident, which is a shocking story and one that the TTC should step up to the plate on, I'm disappointed that they are not taking that kind of thing seriously in these contract talks. There was also that worker that got killed on a maintenance car that snagged something in an accident up in the northern Yonge Line, that would also fall under "unsafe" conditions...

Old April 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM   #717
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
"unsafe" conditions would include that carbon monoxide incident, which is a shocking story and one that the TTC should step up to the plate on, I'm disappointed that they are not taking that kind of thing seriously in these contract talks. There was also that worker that got killed on a maintenance car that snagged something in an accident up in the northern Yonge Line, that would also fall under "unsafe" conditions...
There was a crash at the Wilson Subway Yard today with two workers injured.

TTC subway crash sends 2 to hospital

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #718
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
There was a crash at the Wilson Subway Yard today with two workers injured.

TTC subway crash sends 2 to hospital

Cheers, m
Yeah, caught York Transit's post in the Toronto forum linking the same article. Great, just great. No passengers were involved, which is a relief (nobody wants another August 1995), but this plays right into Kinnear's vengeful hands in his vendetta against Webster. PERFECT timing, unbeleivable. I would be interested to know the cause of this crash, as that was not in the article. We probably won't know until the hospital has the two staff all patched up and clear to go. Hope they're both OK, one is in serious condition.

Old April 21st, 2008, 01:21 AM   #719
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Last minute deal averts Toronto transit strike

Canadian Press

April 20, 2008 at 6:11 PM EDT

A transit strike in Toronto has been averted with a last-minute tentative deal that will spare commuters from a chaotic start to the work week.

The agreement was announced almost two hours after Sunday's 4 p.m. deadline and ended days of worry for the 1.5 million people that use Toronto's transit system every weekday.

The deal came after Bob Kinnear of the Amalgamated Transit Union gave the city little reason to be confident and warned that talks were going nowhere.

Mr. Kinnear said on Sunday that the negotiations were the toughest he's been involved with in his 20 years with the union and were a "roller-coaster ride" of ups and downs.

He said he's happy with the three-year tentative agreement, which resulted in no need for concessions and will make Toronto Transit Commission workers the best paid in the Greater Toronto Area.

"This is an agreement that all parties can live with and therefore our executive board will be recommending ratification," he said at a news conference.

"We've stood our ground … we have not sold out our future members."

Mr. Kinnear said that as of late Sunday afternoon, it had still appeared a deal was unreachable.

"There have been many minutes when we did not believe we were going to reach a settlement … even as late as this afternoon there were times when we did not believe we were going to reach an agreement, but we have."

Had a strike been called, 8,900 drivers and maintenance workers would have hit the picket lines on Monday morning.

He thanked the city's residents for their patience as they waited to hear whether a strike would in fact be called and said he understood their concerns.

"Strike action was action we did not want to take, we more than anybody recognize the importance of transit to Torontonians," he said.

"We more than anybody recognize that Torontonians are paying far too [much] for fares and are receiving a substandard service. We recognize that and did not want to compound that problem any further."
-------------------------------------------------

source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:42 AM   #720
BYS2

Likes (Received): 0

ttc is a piece of shit man... seriously, those collectors there should be making $8/hour max.. they're pretty much homeless people who dropped out of high school... seriously, and the it looks so cheap, why can't they make it nice like hk or japan subway system.. if they're gonna keep jacking up token prices every year, they should give us better facilities..

this is bs, if i ever get the chance, those collectors are all gonna get fired and thrown out on the streets.
BYS2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto