daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2005, 08:19 AM   #61
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetoronto
I guess since I'm 13, I can't make comments on other transit systems, but I like the TTC. The Scarborough RT is REALLY ugly. It looks fake. The subways, however, look real. The idea of putting coloured stripes on the cars is impractical beacuse it would mean that the TTC could not move wagons between the diffrent lines.
I find the beauty in the SRT, only the little portion around Kennedy is ugly.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #62
addisonwesley

Likes (Received): 5

I agree with the majority of the Toronto forumers here, the subway cars are much more 'subway' looking. The SRT and other system trains with all the paint and such look as though they belong in an amusement park or world's fair. Rounding or 'smoothing' the front of a subway train is such a stupid idea. It's a subway, not a monorail, and besides - here in Toronto, the only thing that designates the front of the train is a conductor's cabin. This way, trains can be hooked up without a problem. The MTA in New York is overhauling the entire subway system, or so I've heard. Their are automatic station and direction announcements at every stop, but their seats are as hard as plastic now <-- DiscoveryChannel.
addisonwesley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #63
addisonwesley

The Toronto Transit Commission Subway - in 100 years

I don't know if this has been posted on this forum yet, but many of you have probably seen this:

There is also this one, a little more official looking, but not as extensive [and therefore less interesting (?)]:

Old July 9th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #64
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

I would like the first one better, the second one severely lacks North/South lines.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #65
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

Are there any actual plans to build this or are these just someones fantesy?
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #66
addisonwesley

Ahaha, joe. Hmm, looking at the second one: All that exists right now is the Green line from Kipling to Scarborough Town Centre, the Yellow line from Finch going through the whole loop up to Downsview, and like half of the purple one starting at Sheppard-Yonge station. It's nice that you've taken an interest in the subway . The orange one doesn't exist at all.

Gah, the stupid conservative government - does anybody know how far the Eglinton line would have gone if it had been built?
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #67
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

They are just fantasy maps.
Old July 9th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #68
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

It will be 7 years before they even make it to YorkU.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #69
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by addisonwesley
I don't know if this has been posted on this forum yet, but many of you have probably seen this:

this is a really good fantasy map, I don't know anything about Toronto's geography but to those who live in or around the city, would it be possible for more north-south or even diagonal lines to be built under roads or elevated above them?

are any sections of the lines in Toronto elevated?
Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #70
addisonwesley

Ahaha, I don't know actually. There is one elevated section, the SRT - but I don't know where it begins...I've never used it at all. I do know that the SRT ends at McCowan [on the green line] though. In real TTC maps, it's shown as a seperate colour. For the most part, the TTC subway has usually followed the city medians, so I don't think they'd be tunneling an diagonal lines.

Most people in Toronto don't want elevated rail from what I've heard - or elevated rail cars that aren't interchangeable with subway cars. There hasn't been much talk at all because the system is too poor.
Old July 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #71
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

The Scarborough RT runs from Kennedy on the Bloor-Danforth line to McCowan, and is elevated.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #72
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2
It will be 7 years before they even make it to YorkU.
At best. It took them a decade to build the measly Sheppard line. In the same period, Barcelona or Madrid (can't remember which) built 100km of subway.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:42 PM   #73
ssiguy2

^
It was Madrid. This will simply never happen.
The subway system has only groown by 11km since the mid 70s, plus the SRT.
No matter which way you slice it that it nothing short of awful.
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #74
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

That's about the same progress a Chinese city would do in 5 years.
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #75
Haber

Likes (Received): 0

Could you superimpose those lines on a map of Toronto?
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #76
addisonwesley

I don't know where 3/4 of those new stations are.
Old July 11th, 2005, 08:16 PM   #77
ssiguy2

An extra $200mil/year would do wonders for the TTC service but wouldn't make a dent in subway expansion especially the way the TTC wants to expand the lines.
Why they want to tunnel Spadina Ext when the Downsviewe airport is beyond me.
It will not go under any major roads unlike Yonge/Bloor. They could buid it at grade or elevated and save themselves a billion bucks.
6km for $1.5bil but Sheppard's 6km for $800mil.........please don't say thats inflation. I can see why Sheppard was tunneled as it is a major road but the SpadinaExt doesn't go nor has to go underground as the reason for the ext really is all about YorkU.
For that money screw Spadina and ext Sheppard.
Someone's palms are getting greased.
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:31 AM   #78
addisonwesley

You do know that the YorkU extension is another pet-project (or so I've been told), much like the Sheppard line was Mel what's-his-face's (although that one is generating quite a bit of development after those 10 years of red tape...). If we get the 2015 World's Fair, an underground/underwater subway is what the city is saying would most likely be built. I can't find the map, but it was featured in the Globe and Mail last winter. Until any final decisions are made though, the TTC's main priorities (although minor) are to start and finish the YorkU line and extend the Sheppard line to Scaroborough Town Center.

Anything after that is anybody's guess, but there's also the Downtown relief line, which was actually proposed. Once the YU line becomes overcrowded again, this project will most likely be back on the TTC's list of things to do (/wants to do). It's definetely not an immediate priority though due to express buses and renovations to Bloor-Yonge. (Source, Transit Toronto) First phase:

The next phase would take care of the western portion of downtown:

MISTAKE SITED BELOW!

Last edited by addisonwesley; July 12th, 2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #79
ssiguy2

WOW!!!!....I never knew that. I knew they some on order but had no idea that many!
I thought just recently the TTC had to cancel a bus order due to funding restrictions?
What kinds/makes of buses are these, any articulates?
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #80
addisonwesley

Agh, I couldn't find any articles relating to this on CP24, thestar.com, or globeandmail.com. I'm sure somebody else knows something about this. I saw it on BreakfastTelevision this morning - they did a 'tour' of the bus and everything (Hillcrest). Ahaha, excellent - I'm pretty sure this is it.

April, 2005 article:
TORONTO — The Toronto Transit Commission has ordered 330 transit buses from Orion Bus Industries, including 150 hybrid electric models. The diesel-electric 40-foot buses, similar to a large and growing fleet of hybrid buses in service in New York City, promise significant emissions reductions and fuel savings compared to standard diesel buses, and also outperform conventionally powered vehicles.

Mississauga, Ontario-based Orion Bus Industries, along with partner BAE Systems, producer of the HybriDrive™ series hybrid propulsion system, will deliver the hybrid buses in 2006. These buses will be TTC’s first hybrid models and will give Toronto the largest hybrid electric fleet in Canada.

Compared to diesel propulsion, the hybrid units will provide 25 percent to 35 percent better fuel economy while greatly reducing emissions: 90 percent less particulate matter, 40 percent less NOx, and 30 percent fewer greenhouse gases. Drivers will enjoy faster acceleration and customers will experience a quieter, smoother ride free of the frequent transmission shifts encountered in conventional buses.

lol, looks like my numbers were super-inflated (1000 vs. 300). If they had bought 1000 of the non-hybrid buses though, the cost would have been $250,000,000 - obviosly the TTC does not have that much, not sure about gas tax for the system though. The 150 hybrids cost $112,500,000, while the rest cost $45,000,000. They told Liza the buses delivered today were hybrid....MY MISTAKE! God...500 new buses would have been so great.

Last edited by addisonwesley; July 12th, 2005 at 06:43 AM.

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto