daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2008, 01:52 AM   #801
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
I think it would be far more intelligible if you would translate the Canuck word "mockup". What does it mean, in standard English?
? are you crazy mate? it's not "Canadian English" at all, and you'd be far more intelligent if you spoke english!

For your reference http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock-up

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #802
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by salaverryo View Post
I think it would be far more intelligible if you would translate the Canuck word "mockup". What does it mean, in standard English?
my own translation.

moskup = a non functioning model intended to showcase the apparent features of a certain object.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #803
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by York Transit View Post
Mock-up of the new Next Generation subway cars in Toronto

What do you think?

Interesting to note...you can see that the mockup has newspapers thoughtfully left behind by earlier passengers.

At least one piece of Toronto Transit culture that hasnt changed.
H6 1987

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #804
amirtaheri

Likes (Received): 1

Is there any reason why they decided not to use just a linear line of seats like on most modern subway cars ie China, the new London Underground S stock? I would have thought it more efficient use of space than the layout they've proposed in the mock-up.
amirtaheri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #805
TRZ
Welcome to the Rail World

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirtaheri View Post
Is there any reason why they decided not to use just a linear line of seats like on most modern subway cars ie China, the new London Underground S stock? I would have thought it more efficient use of space than the layout they've proposed in the mock-up.
Yes, there is a reason. The TTC is against "cattle cars" as it is looking at their service from the standpoint of a service that should be attractive; not to pack in as many standees as possible, but to provide a balance between standing room and seating capacity; cattle cars have the lowest seating capacity. Through this move, effectively a marketing move, they maintain better appeal during off-peak periods as well, since there is more chances of getting a seat.

There is more to transit than just packing as many people into a single car as possible; remember that the system is used off-peak, too.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEME transit geek
TRZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #806
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Coz Canadians don't know their way around all that well (that seating arrangement's quite customary `roun' this country), e.g., they risk puking from feeling disoriented from sideways motion -- who knows, maybe puking from motion sickness might become vogue . . .
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM   #807
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Coz Canadians don't know their way around all that well (that seating arrangement's quite customary `roun' this country), e.g., they risk puking from feeling disoriented from sideways motion -- who knows, maybe puking from motion sickness might become vogue . . .
That may be the case from STM, but I've never that out of the TTC. I really don't think it is a national thing at all. Besides, they still include a huge portion of sideways seats anyway; about half.

Old June 10th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #808
York Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ View Post
That may be the case from STM, but I've never that out of the TTC. I really don't think it is a national thing at all. Besides, they still include a huge portion of sideways seats anyway; about half.
The TTC actually proposed full sideways seating for the 1996 T1 models. But riders really disliked the prototype. So in the end, that type of seating was rejected.

It was again proposed for our new trains. But once again, public did not want the layout. So ultimately, it was rejected.
York Transit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #809
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

How come the SRT is cattle car seating then? Well, besides the fact that the entire project has been designed to be as depressing to the rider as possible?

I think London's seats, while perimeter, are well padded. I'd take this over the current TTC seats any day, regardless of position.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #810
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
How come the SRT is cattle car seating then? Well, besides the fact that the entire project has been designed to be as depressing to the rider as possible?

I think London's seats, while perimeter, are well padded. I'd take this over the current TTC seats any day, regardless of position.
Well, the SRT is so tiny in width that cattle car seating is the only option.

I miss the seats from the H4 and earlier cars. The new seats absolutely suck ass.

Old June 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #811
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Likes (Received): 12

TTC seats look cushy... until you sit on them.
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #812
trainrover

Quote:
I really don't think it is a national thing at all.
I do...show me one Canadian who's bothered enough to consult a bus or metro map in lieu of holding up --say-- a bus or a ticketing queue with her/his banal questions about getting to her/his destination...not very bright, were you to ask most people, no?

Canadians tend to be quite comfortable remaining lost.
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #813
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
I do...show me one Canadian who's bothered enough to consult a bus or metro map in lieu of holding up --say-- a bus or a ticketing queue with her/his banal questions about getting to her/his destination...not very bright, were you to ask most people, no?

Canadians tend to be quite comfortable remaining lost.
Was referring to sideways motion sickness, not the sense of directon. I am well aware that I am in a small minority called "men who can read maps." This is why I'm so smooth with the ladies

Old June 14th, 2008, 02:56 AM   #814
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Don't get motion sick, but I find facing forward somewhat more comfortable.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:30 AM   #815
trainrover

Quote:
I am well aware that I am in a small minority called "men who can read maps." This is why I'm so smooth with the ladies
I love it
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #816
DENTROBATE54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
Don't get motion sick, but I find facing forward somewhat more comfortable.
Forward-facing seats are superb. Riding backwards distorts one's perception of reality, especially if looking out a window. Side-by-side cattle car models are an inefficient use of space. In T1s, it's typical to see with the 3-person verticals that only the outer two seats are utilized. No one wants to get squooshed in-between two strangers on a train.

By contrast the forward-facing seats offer up more leg and body room, such that you only feel uncomfortable when a really large person decides to sit next to you
DENTROBATE54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #817
TRZ

Forward-facing seats are superb. Riding backwards distorts one's perception of reality, especially if looking out a window.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the window reflection distortion of reality (where it looks like you're going in the opposite direction you really are) is not to do with sitting backwards, but sitting near the end of the car, it is caused by a reflection of a reflection that only the window facing the next car can create, hence the reverse motion effect. It can happen no matter how you are sitting as long as your head is at the right angle, but I love the effect you are talking about simply because it is such head****

I can understand how that one might make some people feel sick.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM   #818
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

Part of subway line closing early
23 June 2008
The Toronto Star

Starting early this morning, the Toronto Transit Commission began shutting down part of the Yonge subway line an hour and a half earlier than usual - affecting thousands of passengers. Phase one of a construction project will see all stations being shut down at 12:30 a.m., instead of 2 a.m., on the Yonge line between Lawrence and Finch stations. The closures will occur Sunday through Friday evenings, including holidays. Normal service until 2 a.m. will continue on Saturday evenings into early Sunday mornings.

The disruption is expected to continue until February 2009.

Danny Nicholson, TTC supervisor of corporate communications, said the early closure was needed to replace 600 of the subway's 9,000 concrete tunnel liners. Nicholson said rush hour would not be affected. To make up for the inconvenience, the TTC will offer shuttle buses at most points between Lawrence and Finch stations. A second phase of construction will start in March 2009 and affect stations between the Davisville and Sheppard/Yonge stations until July 2010.

Also early this morning, part of the Scarborough RT began closing at midnight each night for track maintenance. A frequent express bus service will replace the trains.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM   #819
TRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Part of subway line closing early
23 June 2008
The Toronto Star

Starting early this morning, the Toronto Transit Commission began shutting down part of the Yonge subway line an hour and a half earlier than usual - affecting thousands of passengers.
This is blatant hyperbole typical of media sensationalism desperate on a dull news day. The TTC gave well over a month's notice about this, everybody has had ample time to make sure they have alternative arrangements as necessary.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:58 PM   #820
DENTROBATE54
BANNED

Some people just take the subway for granted, they think it'll always be there at their disposal. I'm willing to bet those stranded folk didn't take the advance notice seriously. The Yonge Line's the most important one too so choosing an alternate route, espeially when commuting down from Thornhill/Richmond Hill isn't all that easy or convenient.
DENTROBATE54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto