daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #901
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

the Toronto system does look pretty grubby from what I remeber of using it - but a lot of it dates to when it was done/built/reno'd etc.

they need more moneyto really update it

found this article about the line though...

Quote:
Man charged with attempted murder after teens pushed onto subway tracks

TORONTO (CBC) - A Toronto man accused of pushing three teenagers at a west-end subway station, sending two onto the tracks in front of an oncoming train, has been charged with attempted murder.

Adenir DeOliveira, 47, appeared in a Toronto court on Saturday and was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation. He will remain in police custody until his bail hearing.

DeOliveira is charged with three counts of attempted murder and two assault charges.

Toronto police allege two teens were deliberately pushed onto the tracks in front of an eastbound train at the Dufferin subway station at about 4:50 p.m. on Friday.

"Totally unprovoked. We didn't know the guy," one of three teens who was pushed told CBC News.

A court order was also issued on Saturday preventing the naming of the victims or their relatives.

The youth said the group of teens didn't have any interaction with the man who pushed them.

He was pushed by the man but was able to regain his balance and did not fall off the platform and onto the subway tracks. Two of his friends, however, did tumble into the path of a train.

One of the teens, 14, was able to crawl under the platform, and pulled his friend, 15, along with him, out of the way of the approaching train. But his friend's left foot was clipped by the train.

Some of the teen's friends chased after the man believed to have pushed the boys, who fled the scene.

A ticket collector and another bystander were allegedly assaulted by the man and joined the pursuit. They were able to apprehend the man a few blocks away from the station and hold him until police arrived and arrested him.

The father of the injured 15-year-old told CBC News on Saturday that reports the boy's foot and toes were crushed are untrue.

"He's doing well. He's in good spirits. He had some surgery last night on his foot," the father of the injured boy said.

His son had just turned 15 on Thursday and was out celebrating with a group of four friends from elementary school on Friday afternoon.

The father said his son surviving the incident is the best birthday gift anyone in the family could have received.

The father said there are some concerns about blood supply to his son's foot that are being examined by medical staff. But the family has been told any damage will be cosmetic.

The boy was expected to be released from hospital by Saturday night.

A pushing incident on Toronto's subway system has not occurred since 1997, when a woman was killed after being thrown in front of a subway at Dundas station.

"We're just grateful these children were not killed and we wish them nothing but a speedy recovery both physically and mentally," said Toronto Transit Commission spokesman Brad Ross said, adding it was a rare and isolated incident.

"I can not imagine the fear and the complete terror that they must have felt at that time. The act of that 14-year-old to pull his friend over and to think so quickly is quite impressive," Ross said.

Every subway platform in Toronto has yellow tactile tiles that indicate the edge of the platform.

Other safety measures include an intercom to the collectors, a video camera and pay phone.

But the mother of one of the teens said the TTC should be looking at installing a barrier system after Friday's incident.

"Occasionally when these matters happen and they don't happen frequently at all we're asked questions about platform screen doors," said Gary Webster, chief general manager for the TTC.

Webster said the transit commission is studying installing a barrier system at its 69 stations but that it would likely cost more than $6 million.

Each day, more than 1.5 million rides are taken via the Toronto subway system.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/09021..._subway_push_1
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #902
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Subway barriers a long way off for TTC
Attack on teens renews call for platform screens, but city says installation is at least 15 years away
Feb 16, 2009 04:30 AM
Robyn Doolittle
STAFF REPORTER

Toronto is $800 million and at least 15 years away from constructing platform screens in city subway stations.

In the wake of Friday's unprovoked attack at Dufferin station, where a stranger pushed two teenage boys onto the tracks, the debate surrounding subway barriers is once again brewing in the city.

TTC chair Adam Giambrone says while he supports the idea, erecting screens isn't as easy as securing Plexiglas panels along the tracks.

"Platform screen doors require what's called Automatic Train Control. That's what drives the train automatically," he said. "A computer can stop at precisely the same spot every time."

A little over a year and a half ago, Toronto began a massive project to retrofit the entire subway system with this new technology, but until that's completed, platform screens would be impossible.

The first phase of the project, the Yonge-University line, will cost about $400 million. By 2012, officials are expecting a number of stations between Union and Eglinton will be automated. The entire loop could be done as early as 2016.

"Although until all the stations are done, commuters won't really see the benefits," said Giambrone.

Those benefits are extensive.

For one thing, computer-operated trains eliminate a margin of error. At present, platform lengths allow each train to carry an additional car, but the possibility of human error prevents it. The automated system would also allow for increased runs.

The Bloor-Danforth line is the second phase of construction. It carries a $400 million price tag and won't be completed until the mid-2020s. Once the system is upgraded, city officials will have to make the decision whether to dole out between $5 million and $8 million more per station to install barriers. (??????? The doors are being constructed out of gold?)

The province offered to fund a large portion of the initial project, but money is still an important factor in selecting which stations, if any, would come equipped with screens. King, Union, and Bloor are top candidates, said Giambrone.

The barriers will also help prevent small track fires. Litter that lands on the electrified third track can sometimes briefly ignite. Even that small burst of flames can trigger smoke alarms and prevent a car from entering a station, causing significant delays.

"We'd like to have (the barriers) ..., but it is a fairly long process and unfortunately they are not a solution we can employ in the short run," Giambrone said.

Meanwhile, the investigation into Friday's attack continues. Giambrone and other TTC officials were briefed on the incident and learned that transit officials have had no previous altercations with Adenir DeOliveira. DeOliveira, 47, has been charged with attempted murder in connection to the incident.

source: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/588204

====

I won't be holding my breath for this.
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #903
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18136

Can't they just put a sign on the track saying 'trains stop here'? I thought they already have that (eg. 6-car train stop place, 8-car train stop place).

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #904
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

I'm at the point where I think the TTC should just revamp current stations and give up on expanding transit lines. I mean, we can't get ANYTHING done without it being hijacked politically, so why bother? Let's invest millions/billions into making the stations not look like public washrooms, and simply throw more buses on to the streets.

If this ever gets done (not enough people have died from jumping or being pushed on to the tracks for a government operation, I suppose), stations like Yonge need this first. In some places, it can be dangerous crossing the narrow platform with so many people using it.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #905
cazswell

Likes (Received): 0

Does it honestly matter what a subway station looks like? Service is the most important thing when it comes to public transit - not what city has the best looking subway stations/busses/street cars.

Subway platform barriers simply are not a priority right now for the TTC - how often does an incident like this happen? Rarely. As unfortunate as it is, it's not as big as a problem as is expanding the transit system overall. Electrify does have some point in what he says, that "not enough people have died from jumping or being pushed onto the tracks." Working in a government transportation job right now, issues are addressed when problems happen, for the most part. It sounds stupid (and yes, it can be), but that's just how it works, and it's not going to change unless the Ontario Gov't wins some sort of multi-billion (trillion?) dollar lottery.

I agree that some minor (and some major) cosmetic work needs to be done at several stations - painting, new tiles, postponed repairs etc. - for general upkeep of the station, but what's wrong with the turnstiles, bland interiors, or even the use of a streetcar pole instead of a modern pantograph (I've heard many complaints from others about this). If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Turnstiles aren't broke, bland interiors aren't broke, and the streetcar poles ain't broke either. The upgrades will come eventually once their needed, and honestly, they aren't needed right now.

Toronto isn't Beijing with mass amounts of cash getting funnelled in from the federal government (read: it gets zip), and there are a LOT more rules in terms of building ANYTHING here - environmental assessments, contract bidding, public consultation, property acquisition (even getting the smallest piece of property can be a hassle thanks to one NIMBY, and there's a NIMBY for everything), etc. etc., so it's not fair in the slightest to compare the two. It would be fair to compare the two based on the service they provide based on the assets available to them, and I'm sure the outcome here would at least put Toronto on par with Beijing.
cazswell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #906
Skybean
天豆

Councillors urge TTC fare hike instead of tax hike

Updated: Tue Feb. 17 2009 6:35:45 PM

ctvtoronto.ca

Toronto city council is debating increasing the cost of a TTC fare in exchange for a lowered property tax.

The debate comes a week after Mayor David Miller proposed a four per cent property tax increase in the 2009 operating budget.

Some councillors say homeowners have paid enough and that transit riders should have to face some of the tax burden as well.

"Why should taxpayers who already get to pay other inflationary costs now have to pay this while riders get a free ride?" said councillor Doug Holiday in an interview with CTV Toronto. (LOL free ride...)

Critics of the proposed property tax hike say a 10-cent TTC fare increase would raise about $20 million for the city. That is the same amount that would be generated by a one per cent property tax increase.

Shelley Carroll, Toronto's budget chief, said that raising fares would cost the TTC millions of riders.

"We did increase fares during the last recession and 45 million riders left the system. It took decades to get them back," she said.

In the budget Miller proposed on Feb. 11, the mayor vowed not to raise TTC fares in 2009.

Many homeowners told CTV Toronto they also use the TTC so they'll have to pay more on both ends.

With a report from CTV Toronto's Naomi Parness

source: http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...TorontoNewHome
===

Which councillor actually takes the TTC? Probably one or two at most. The talk is now of a fare increase of 25 cents. Way to prey on the vulnerable - the city's blue collar workers, students and poor who cannot afford cars.
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #907
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

And yet we sit around everyday teaching others how run their countries. Arn't we just truly great.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #908
Homer J. Simpson

Likes (Received): 18

I am probably one of the few here who actually directly pays property tax in Toronto.

At first my knee jerk reaction was to agree because it does irk me that the 905 masses use the system at a discounted rate. Then my common sense resurfaced and I realized I would rather pay a tax hike than scare those people and Torontonians off of the TTC and into their cars.

It is a small price to pay to keep people using the TTC. I would actually support a slightly higher P-Tax increase to knock off the cost on fares or to add to service as well.
Homer J. Simpson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #909
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Haven't read it, but the Sun published an editorial supporting the TTC fare increase along with a smaller property tax hike. I can just imagine how angry those retards would have been if that was the original plan in Miller's budget. Seriously, can the writers of that paper think for themselves, or do they just suck the dick of any right winged politician?
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #910
sumisu
ビール大好きです。ビルも好き

Likes (Received): 12

$2.85? I think there should be a law stating a maximum minimum number of coins to take the subway. right now it's 4, that's fine. but 5 is beyond the pale. I'll go back to driving my SUV for all I care!
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #911
Nozumi 300

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumisu View Post
$2.85? I think there should be a law stating a maximum minimum number of coins to take the subway. right now it's 4, that's fine. but 5 is beyond the pale. I'll go back to driving my SUV for all I care!
That's nothing compared to $3.25 for YRT (and thats standarization)
Nozumi 300 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:33 PM   #912
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozumi 300 View Post
That's nothing compared to $3.25 for YRT (and thats standarization)
you can do that with 3 coins.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:28 AM   #913
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
Haven't read it, but the Sun published an editorial supporting the TTC fare increase along with a smaller property tax hike.
Maybe a fare increase combined with a subsidy for residents of Toronto? Or vouchers or free metropasses, for example for poorer residents of Toronto?

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #914
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Man, 24, charged in subway pushing
6 April 2009
The Globe and Mail

TORONTO -- An alleged pusher in yet another stranger-on-stranger subway attack has been arrested, one week after new surveillance cameras generated crucial leads for police.

Police say the footage from a subway station led them to arrest a suspect on the weekend, one week after a predawn pushing at the Dundas West station. The attack occurred just as the subway line was about to resume weekend operations on March 28. Few eyewitnesses appear to have been around at the time.

The victim tumbled onto the tracks after a stranger shoved him from behind, police say, but was not seriously hurt as there were no trains coming.

Meanwhile, a suspect got on a streetcar bound for Parkdale, as cameras were rolling. Video cameras, only recently installed on all Toronto buses, street cars and subway trains, filmed a stocky young man in a hoodie sitting down on the southbound 504.

Police credit the images with generating tips from the public. On Saturday, a 24-year-old man was charged with assault and mischief endangering life.

The accused also has been charged with failing to comply with the terms of a judge's release order from a previous case. Though a staff sergeant at 11 Division said last night she didn't know what the man had been previously charged with, she said it did not involve a subway attack.

In February, a 47-year-old man was charged with three counts of attempted murder following a similar attack.

During a Friday rush hour, he shoved a group of teenagers into the path of an oncoming subway train, the victims barely managing to roll away from the tracks in time. A TTC collector tackled the suspect and the accused's lawyers later told court his client had been hearing voices.

Last night the chair of the Toronto Transit Commission said that the millions of dollars taxpayers have recently invested in surveillance technology is paying off.

“The security cameras have proven an incredibly valuable investigation tool in a number of cases … including shootings and pushings and assaults,” Adam Giambrone said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 29th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #915
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Subways are coveted in suburbs
29 January 2009
The Toronto Star

Councillor Howard Moscoe yesterday described his colleagues, in full debate about the viability of a subway to Richmond Hill, as "a bunch of plumbers debating brain surgery."

In other words, leave the weighty matter of transit planning to council's chosen few - including Moscoe, of course.

Despite the put-down, the debate on the proposed extension of the Yonge subway to Highway 7 shows you can learn a lot by listening. Among the first lessons is there's still a lot to learn on this issue.

How best to carry an extra 12,000 commuters 32 kilometres to downtown? By GO transit or subway? Is the subway technology an exorbitantly expensive relic, and light rapid transit, like the line on St. Clair, the future because it involves one-tenth the cost, as Councillor Joe Mihevc claims?

"The subway's day is over; everybody is building light rail," he said.

"Absolutely not so," retorted Councillor Anthony Perruzza.

Is Councillor Adam Vaughan correct that it's "insane" to take a subway out to a low-density area like Richmond Hill in anticipation of future growth? Or is Peruzza on the mark to say such construction is best because it is done at a fraction of the cost and development is sure to follow?

"Any time anybody expands public transit, that is a good thing," several councillors maintained.

"It's foolishness," said Councillor Gord Perks, of a subway to a low-density area. "You don't use a chainsaw to cut butter and don't use a butter knife to cut down trees."

In general, downtown politicians are more inclined to object to subway expansion. For one, subways gobble up oodles of cash they want diverted to beefing up already enhanced but over-subscribed service in their wards.

Suburban councillors, perennially jealous of the ease and comfort of inner-city travel, see subways as an earned right. Their general view is: Why change the rules just as suburban densities are nearing a critical mass to support a subway?

In Toronto, the downtowners have won. The new Transit City plan envisions modern light rail lines along Sheppard East, Finch West, and all along Eglinton in the next 10 years or so.

But city council has another battle on its hands - with the outer suburbs, bolstered by provincial and federal governments.

Left to Toronto council, proposals to extend the Spadina line to Highway 7 and Weston Rd. would have stalled. Ditto for the Yonge line to Richmond Hill.

But the province supports both. So does Ottawa. They are paying 80 per cent of the cost, so their opinions count. And they see new subways across the 416-905 boundary as providing a political boost to their fortunes in a vote-rich region.

So, despite the personal politics, city council voted to support the subway to Richmond Hill - with many caveats. The conditions are instructive and could double the $2.4 billion cost:

The TTC must own and operate the line and commuter lots, but wants no part of the added construction or operating costs. Do the Spadina extension first, to help divert commuters from the congested Yonge line. Fix the congestion at Bloor-Yonge, a perennial problem. Get new trains that allow riders to move between cars. Implement computerized train operations. Provide all this and, in Perks' words, the city will hold its nose and support a subway link.

Subway supporters can take comfort that the projects are administered by Metrolinx, the cross-border transportation agency set up to fly above parochial interests.

Royson James usually appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Old April 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #916
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

Gotta love Royson James

This article is full of errors, and inconsistencies. Since when is Sheppard, Finch, and Eglinton downtown?

What's conveniently left out is York wants a subway, but are not willing to pay for it, or the operating costs. The Spadina extension north of Steeles is a huge waste of money. York will not be paying a cent of the operating costs when it opens.
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #917
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
Gotta love Royson James

This article is full of errors, and inconsistencies. Since when is Sheppard, Finch, and Eglinton downtown?

What's conveniently left out is York wants a subway, but are not willing to pay for it, or the operating costs. The Spadina extension north of Steeles is a huge waste of money. York will not be paying a cent of the operating costs when it opens.

That's fine. The TTC'll just run one train every 15 minutes until the point where the tunnels need an overhaul. At that point, either somebody else step in to pay for the refurb or the TTC could just shut the York strech down.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #918
Skybean
天豆

Greedy bastards!

Quote:
3 collectors charged in TTC fare scam

Crime Stoppers
Up to $20,000 stolen at subway stations
Jul 29, 2009 04:30 AM
Robyn Doolittle
Staff Reporter

Three TTC employees are accused of stealing as much as $20,000 in fares over the course of a year – less than three dollars at a time.

In the past week, three ticket collectors at some of the city's busiest subway stops – Union, Queen and Eglinton, all on the Yonge line – have been charged with theft under $5,000, as well as multiple counts of failing to collect a fare.

Toronto Transit Commission officials were alerted to the alleged fraud by a concerned rider, who noticed that after paying cash, they were simply waved through the turnstile by the collector. The employee is supposed to pass the fare back through the booth's window for the customer to deposit in the collection box.

"There's a couple of scenarios," said Toronto police Det. Rob Ermacora. "Someone will come up and give $5, but instead of breaking the bill, what happens is they'll give back the two and a quarter and keep the $2.75 (cash fare)."

Similarly, he continued, if someone bought four tokens, the suspect would pass the rider three, then pocket the fourth instead of putting it in the fare box.

The TTC's special constables launched an investigation with the assistance of Toronto police using surveillance cameras – there are two pointed at every collection booth – and undercover officers.

Yesterday morning, Toilane Fountain, 57, of Toronto, was arrested at the Queen station. Anthony Alfano, 65, of Whitby, and Kiran Sachdev, 56, of Toronto, were charged last Wednesday.

Each has been suspended without pay and will be fired if convicted, an official said.

Sachdev made more than $125,000 last year, earning a spot on the Ontario government's so-called sunshine list of public-sector salaries published annually.

He is to appear in court Sept. 3. The other two accused are scheduled to appear Aug. 31.

The transit commission estimates tens of thousands of dollars have been stolen, said TTC chair Adam Giambrone, who added the agency collects $900 million a year in fares.

With files from Tess Kalinowski
source: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/673264
Old August 1st, 2009, 10:23 PM   #919
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Single-use drills to cost TTC $58M
Hefty price tag for new tunnel-boring machines needed to finish Spadina-York Region line on time

22 July 2009
The Toronto Star

The TTC plans to spend $58 million on four giant tunnel-boring machines that will be used only once - to dig a 13.5-kilometre twin tunnel as part of the Spadina subway extension to York Region.

City councillors who sit on the Toronto Transit Commission approved the expense July 10, but only after questioning the number of machines.

The machines will be custom-built by Lovat Inc., which bid about $555,000 less than a competitor. The same company sold the TTC two similar machines for $15 million to tunnel the Sheppard subway about six kilometres between Yonge St. and Don Mills Rd.

The TTC sold the Sheppard machines to two construction companies in Russia for $2.5 million each once the line was complete. Nicknamed Rock and Roll, each weighed about 235 tonnes and could drill through about 15.7 metres of ground in eight hours.

Here are some answers transit commissioners got from TTC staff on the purchase:

Q: Would the machines used on Sheppard have worked on the Spadina extension?

A: No. The newer machines are more technologically advanced and work faster and more efficiently. They're a relatively minor part of the total construction cost of about $400 million, according to Andy Bertolo, project manager of the York-Spadina subway.

Also, the Sheppard tunnel was 5.2 metres wide. The new machines will build a 5.4-metre tunnel to accommodate a sharper curve on Spadina and new fire protection standards that require wider train walkways, he said.

Q: Couldn't the TTC buy second-hand tunnel boring machines?

A: "We have not found suitable machines in this diameter," said Bertolo.

Q: How much could the TTC recoup on its investment if it resold the machines?

A: Not more than 30 per cent.

Q: When will the machines arrive?

A: The first pair arrive in October 2010. "Machines of this type take a long period to manufacture," Bertolo said.

Q: Couldn't the TTC work with fewer machines?

A: One less machine would extend the construction schedule by five months over the anticipated 2015 completion date, according to Bertolo.

Q: Why can't the same machines be used on the new Transit City lines, including a 10-kilometre tunnel planned for the Eglinton Crosstown line?

A: The TTC doesn't yet know how wide the Transit City tunnels will be because it hasn't been decided which cars will run on those lines.

The TTC has commissioned Bombardier to build 204 light-rail vehicles (LRVs) to run on the 11 existing streetcar lines. That contract includes an option to build up to 368 more cars for Toronto's new Transit City lines, said Gary Webster, chief general manager of the TTC.

"Because (Metrolinx is) going to have involvement in all aspects of Transit City, including the car, the lines, the yards - they want to be satisfied that exercising the option from Bombardier is the right thing to do," he said.

The Transit City Eglinton Crosstown line will require 129 LRVs; the renovation of the Scarborough Rapid Transit will need 62; Finch West, 37 and Sheppard, 35.

Old September 10th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #920
Flight-FGB

Likes (Received): 2

Transit City: Sheppard East LRT

The Sheppard East EA has been completed.

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/proje..._lrt/index.htm

Comments:

Unsurprisingly, it's geared to making the case for LRT. There are few surprises. They recommended close (~400m) stop spacing.

They cite peak point ridership projections to make their case. Apparently they're expecting 3,000 per hour to ride the streetcar. 5,000 per hour would ride the route if it used subway technology. There's a catch, though: the forecast is for their insane route out to Rouge Park and the agricultural preserve. If they actually build the subway the way it's supposed to be built, to Scarborough Centre, thousands more riders per peak hour would certainly be attracted and it would benefit from major destinations at both ends.

They trot out their little chart to claim that subway only "works" above 10,000 per hour. Of course, they never look at ridership at places other than the peak point (i.e. out near Rouge Park), which I guarantee would fall well below the minimum for LRT on the chart.

They haven't come to a conclusion about whether to extend the LRT in a tunnel west from Consumers to Don Mills, or to extend the subway east one stop to Consumers. Intriguingly, they have this to say about a subway extension: "Option 3b is a much more effective 'catalyst' for denser, transit-oriented development in this development node." Perhaps it might be an interesting idea to consider just how much development could be catalyzed if the subway were extended more than just one stop.

Apparently they've also determined that single vehicles would require a headway of under 3 minutes, and the TTC apparently claims that it can't manage a route that frequent. Instead, they're going to couple them into trains to get closer to a five minute headway.

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto