daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2005, 03:41 AM   #81
addisonwesley

Likes (Received): 5

For those of you that didnt know:

I noticed this today on the subway - haven't heard any other news though. Still good news though. That wall isn't really curved, it's just my messed up camera.
addisonwesley no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #82
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Yeah, I ride the 116Morningside, and in 6 months they completely went WheelChair Accesible. One day the LCD said "I'm a new bus, 800 more of me will be here by 2008"

"are any sections of the lines in Toronto elevated?"
Yeah, many areas are, but they arent extensive.

"At best. It took them a decade to build the measly Sheppard line. In the same period, Madrid built 100km of subway."
My name is the TTC, and I am the train who can. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:25 AM   #83
York Transit

Likes (Received): 1

TTC Subway - The Amazing Race? :o

http://www.culturehole.com/blog_commento.asp?blog_id=14

Take a look, I think anyone's welcome as long if you have a cellphone and a unlimited travel pass.
York Transit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #84
addisonwesley

Ahaha, only in Toronto...heehee.
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:42 AM   #85
addisonwesley

Toronto's Subway: 51 Years Yonge!

Canada's First Subway:

Running along Toronto's main thoroughfare, Yonge Street (hence the title), the subway ran from Union Station at the southern point of Toronto, to Eglinton Avenue in the north of the city, which was then in suburbia. The first subway in Canada ran on March 30, 1954 - taking 12 minutes from Eglinton Station to Union. The original Yonge Line stations include (in order from north to south):

Eglinton
Davisville
St. Clair
Summerhill
Rosedale (affluent neighbourhood)
Bloor (now Bloor-Yonge)
Wellesley
College
Dundas
Queen
King
Union

Subway and Station design

The first subway cars were 'Gloucesters', which were common in London's Underground at the time. They were painted red for the reason that the cars were steel and so needed protection (rusting), paint served this purpose well until aluminum bodied Gloucesters were ordered soon after. The staions as you will see, are quite simple in design. Today the designs of the stations are still sleak and clean, as they were at the time of design, but the designs are far from modern (save the Sheppard subway which opened recently). "They look like giant restrooms" many a TTC subway rider have commented, and you no doubt will think exactly the same when you see the stations. Others say it looks boring, a comment with which most would agree - but looking beyond that first impression, one sees that this 'public restroom' design unifies the subway system (in stations constructed between 1954-1966). The look: "a solid background colour relieved by a stripe of darker contrasting colour about 7 feet up". The design may be simple, but it makes identifying a station easy (without reading the name). Even a new font was commissioned for the subway and to this day, that little known fact allows it to elude those who have 'fallen in love' with the font. Unfortunately, the tiling of the majority of the 1954 stations was replaced at sometime with more 'modern' designs which totally undid the original design scheme.

Last edited by addisonwesley; July 18th, 2005 at 02:20 AM.
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM   #86
addisonwesley

Station Pictures [to be continually expanded until complete]

YUS = Yonge-University-Spadina
BD = Bloor-Danforth

Bloor-Yonge station (interchange of the BD and YUS lines)
Below: Yonge Trains Platform, approx. 2:35 PM

Comments: One of the busiest stations of the TTC subway. A crowd of people emerges from the trains afterwards.

Islington Station (former end-station of BD line)
Below: West most entrance to platform, approx. 1:20 PM

Comments: Very empty. You must ascend two flights of stairs from the main entrance to get to the platform.

Below: View on Islington platform (Eastbound Side), approx. 1:22 PM

Comments: The train had just left, leaving the platform empty.

Below: Sign showing next station and direction of travel, approx. 1:23 PM

Comments: None.

Royal York Station
Below: Royal York

Comments: Steel girders dividing eastbound and westbound trains.

Below: View on Royal York platform (Eastbound side), time unknown

Comments: Also very empty.

Below: Eastbound train entering station, time unknown

Comments: None.

Old Mill Station
Below: Looking towards the windowed section of the platform (Eastbound side), time unknown

Comments: Because part of the station extends over the edge of a ravine, half was windowed for structural and aesthetic reasons.

Below: Looking out towards the wooded ravine (facing westbound platform), time unknown

Comments: Looking out at the eastbound platform's side, one can see another bridge crossing the ravine.

Last edited by addisonwesley; July 18th, 2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old July 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #87
NYC2ORDGuy

Likes (Received): 0

You call that disrepair? I wanna move to Toronto! I want to move to Toronto! :-)

(Visit my blog, Corncobber: Living in Downtown Chicago.)
NYC2ORDGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #88
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

No they arent in disrepair they are just getting older...it happens.
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #89
York Transit

Likes (Received): 1

TTC Bomb Scare; Subway evacuated...

http://www.canada.com/toronto/video/072805ttc.html
York Transit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #90
zonie

I find Vancouver's Skytrain is more secure system than Toronto's subway against terrorist attacks. As most of the stations are elevated rather than underground, explosions would be less devestating, being in relatively open air. Also, there's higher visibility, as even people outside the station can see what's going on within.
zonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM   #91
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

don't be so sure. if there is an attack inside a train, the elevated stations can't help people sitting inside. of course in that case it is much easier to run away or to help the passangers injured.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #92
zonie

That above post was a little tongue in cheek and mainly written because the topic starter just posted a link without any discussion. However, Vancouver's system also has another advantage with its armed transit police. Not to mention, elevated systems aren't as susceptible to toxic gas attacks.
zonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #93
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

Elevated systems also trap the occupants of the train in a disaster. A bomb blast may be so powerful it will derail the train and it will plunge to the streets below, causing more casualties.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #94
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

Ok...so using this logic, i will move to suburbia, where the likelyhood of damage on non-existant subways is quite minimal. LOL

If there's a point to be made here, i wish somebody would fill me in.

"I find Vancouver's Skytrain is more secure system than Toronto's subway against terrorist attacks."

They are both equally secure against them....as in nothing could stop them on either system.

London has the most secure subway system in the world....in fact the whole city...the whole country is covered with security cameras catching every movement every person makes. There are 4.2 million spycams watching 60 million britons...the average Briton is caught on camera an average of 300 times a day.

And this does dick in stopping the attacks.

Perhaps you should worry about something else instead.

KGB

Last edited by KGB; July 29th, 2005 at 07:23 PM.
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #95
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Who knows what the terrorists may think of next? If they really want to stir up fear, they'll hit where people won't expect them to hit. A few years ago the Americans were worried that terrorists would send explosives-packed trucks into cities.

Then there are the bus bombs, which can explode anywhere and are commonplace in Israel and as recently as London. Perhaps people would fear riding the bus now, too?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #96
KGB

"THE TERRORISTS!!!!! "

ha ha ha

oooooooooh...I'm worried now...you really got me scared.

You know who you should be concerned with?

Not "The Terrorists"....the dipshit suburban housewife in her SUV...yacking on the cell phone, not paying attention to the road....and is about to cause an accident on the highway.

KGB
Old July 30th, 2005, 03:05 AM   #97
hkskyline
Hong Kong

So ignore the London bombings, then blame everyone for complacency after an attack has occurred. The first step to prevention is education, unless people are so ignorant that many more lives shall perish because of it.

Old July 30th, 2005, 06:43 AM   #98
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

I think it depends on how you mean secure.

Toronto does have the disadvantage of being underground therefore making it harder to get resucers to stuck trains, while the SkyTrains elevatedness (i make up words) makes it a lot easier to help.

On the other hand, because Vancouver is elevated, it could be less secure so it could be possible to plant bombs on track support and stuff during the night. It'd almost be impossible to get to the tracks/ a station on Toronto's subway (some exceptions in the old boroughs) during the night because it's underground, and therefore (hopefully) more secure.

Due to the fact Vancouver is elevated, tt'd be possible to launch a rocket or something at a station/platform more easily and cause major damage from a distance. To shot a rocket at the platform on the subway, you'd have to be in the station (some exceptions), and it'd be obivous what you were doing if you had a rocket launcher with you.

Vancouver though would likely be able to survive a gas attack because most of the gas would just float away, while Toronto would be compressed in a smaller space.

Overall, both systems are screwed if there's a terrorist attack. Luckily there are alternatives:
Cars: Pros: No strangers in your cars. Cons: Pollutes, terrorists could attack bridge/highway/street
Bus: Pros: Enviromentally friendly Cons: most smell funny, sucks when you get a bus driver with attitude, a bomber would be just as likely
Walking: Pros: exercise, no pollution Cons: Kill your lungs with all the pollution from the cars and buses, more likely to be shot/stabbed/robbed when walking than a terrorist attacking you.

Conclusion => The safest way to travel in Canada: No matter what we're screwed. To be safest walk with 50 Cent, that way to attract the bullets from you towards him.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2005, 08:47 AM   #99
KGB

"So ignore the London bombings, then blame everyone for complacency after an attack has occurred."

It's not a case of ignoring or not ignoring. And the only people to blame for attacks...are the attackers.

"The first step to prevention is education, unless people are so ignorant that many more lives shall perish because of it."

I suggest you sign yourself up for some then...cause you make about as much sense as tits on a hen.

KGB
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:13 PM   #100
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3670

Barcelona Airport, Terminal A was evacuated the day before yesterday (28/7/2005), because of 2 abandoned suitcases...

I work here, these are the photos I took:
[IMG]http://************/9ktohv.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/9ktq8x.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/9ktres.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://************/9ktqiu.jpg[/IMG]
500 people evacuated for 1 hour!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto