daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1021
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

I believe it's the Eglinton crosstown that will use narrower gauge.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #1022
IrishMan2010
Liberal Minded

Likes (Received): 22

New subways look great, have any of you guys been on one yet?
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #1023
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I'll do it for $400,000. Seriously, the TTC has completely lost it. First changing the gauge width so now there are 2 different systems, then blowing money on ads to tell the public about new trains you can see by just getting on one, and now this. Why not a normal pay scale like $45,000 each year?
Scarborough RT also runs on a different gauge (1435mm) from the standard TTC gauge (1495mm) that used on subway trains & streetcars. And the SRT is almost 30 years old.

Oh, and the TTC's original plan was to build a network of suburban streetcars using TTC gauge (1495mm). Then the Ontario Government led by Bill Davis came in and said "if you build it using our special brand-spankin new technology we will pay for the entire line"

So blame the Ontario Government ... for something that happened 30 years ago ... instead of blaming the TTC now.

Oh, and the reason why Transit City lines were going for Standard (1435mm) gauge is because the lines are separate from the remainder of the TTC system.

It also is because Metrolinx (and agency of the Province of Ontario) is paying for the lines and wanted to get the greatest number of choices and lowest available cost.

Funny how history repeats itself. But this time instead of pushing their own proprietary transit system the Ontario Government is pushing for more competition in the selection of the LRVs.

And still people complain.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #1024
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18135

Mallick: TTC fare hike like poison for the poor
Published On Sun Aug 21 2011
Toronto Star

The experience of taking the subway downtown ó normally a zippy 20 minutes, if that ó has noticeably changed in the past year.

The trains stop, inexplicably. Then they give a metaphorical sigh and start up again. Fuzzy announcements drone on about the Spadina line closing south of Eglinton West, but TTC buses are waiting at the station. Lines are regularly closed for maintenance at times that are inconvenient for passengers but the TTC seems to feel it a matter of urgency.

The TTC is not in good health, and this is visible each day. What Torontonians endure is more telling than consultantsí reports about cheaper modes of people transport and Mayor Rob Fordís incoherent plans for more subways even though the system we already have isnít being sufficiently fed and watered. Our watchword is ďcheap.Ē

Streetcar advocate Steve Munro says on his blog that this wonít do. And heís right, as he often is, but I canít agree with his proposal to raise fares.

ďThereís no point in soaking up new subsidies with fare freezes,Ē he writes. ďJust as Toronto creates headaches for itself with tax freezes and forgone revenue, the TTC is hurt by the absence of small, regular fare increases to cover, at least in part, its increasing costs.Ē

But what is a small, regular fare increase? It depends on who you are. If youíre poor, you probably canít afford the TTC at all. If you work a minimum wage job, no increase is small. You factor an extra dime into your survival sums, gasp, and recalculate.

Two dimes a day at least five times a week adds up to a dollar you donít have. Itís hard for many to imagine that. But when I look around the subway car, I see people who barely made it on. I see people shocked and distressed when they canít conjure up the cash to get on the streetcar.

These scenes happen daily. Put yourself in another personís worn shoes, a person who doesnít have an extra dollar. Students and the elderly get help with TTC fares. But people who donít have the money get no help at all.

The TTC is the bloodstream of this city. Using it keeps pollution down and the clogged streets less hateful than they might be. It gets us to work, it makes us look at our fellow citizens (though not straight in the eye, if weíre being polite about it) and rub shoulders with them. There is nothing about the TTC that is not socially useful and practical.

Raising fares rather than subsidizing them is a false economy that does great harm. For the TTC shouldnít raise fares, it should abolish them.

It shouldnít have to make a profit or break even, because it justifies its existence in ways that go far beyond money. And thatís the problem: when you provide a social good, itís very often in ways that are not visible or easily quantifiable.

On the TTC, students from poverty-stricken or violent neighbourhoods can escape to a good school in minutes. You can lose your loneliness in a distant suburb and head to Dundas Square. You can get to a farmerís market outside your area and pack a better lunch for your children. You can make it home safely late at night when youíre in a terrible state, thanking the city for the Vomit Comet.

You can escape your life, or race back to it, in a way that is nobodyís business and costs the planet almost nothing. You see your city as a unit, each part of it offering a welcome to strangers. You are no longer lonely in your own city.

I buy 10 tokens for $25, but the single fare is $3. When youíre poor, you donít have $25 to hand. So youíre already paying six bucks a day to get to your job and the experts are suggesting a ďsmall, regularĒ fare increase.

Suggestions that seem superficially rational should be studied with care. They can turn out to be counterproductive, and worse, heartless.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #1025
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

It would be respectful --not to mention helpful to us readers -- were you to simultaneously lob as the corresponding hyperlinks to --uhm-- news reports you share

Last edited by trainrover; August 24th, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:57 AM   #1026
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
It would be respectful --not to mention helpful to us readers -- were you to simultaneously lob as the corresponding hyperlinks to --uhm-- news reports you share
I can provide the links, although the current format is already properly sourced with respect to copyright legislation.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #1027
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

If the poor are such a concern, then the ttc and/or city should provide some type of discounted rate or rebate for people below a certain income level rather than not have any fare increase for a system that is financially struggling.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1028
trainrover

I wouldn't reckon it be struggling financially; I'd suspect it possess a deficit as far as vested policies go
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #1029
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I can provide the links, although the current format is already properly sourced with respect to copyright legislation.
I think it courteous indicating its op-ed angle, thus revealing its nonexistent newsworthiness

Moreover, duly referencing the links is obligatory (not optional in the slightest).

Last edited by trainrover; August 25th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #1030
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I think it courteous indicating its op-ed angle, thus revealing its nonexistent newsworthiness

Moreover, duly referencing the links is obligatory (not optional in the slightest).
I think a lot of people don't have sufficient understanding of the fair use doctrine of copyright law and think a link is obligatory in properly referencing other people's work. I won't criticize their ignorance here, but in substance, having a link to, say, the Toronto Star article, is no different than referencing the article to the Toronto Star.

However, if people think seeing the link that will lead them to the exact same text can help them understand the topic somehow better, then I can most certainly help them achieve a better understanding, albeit with a bizarre smirk.

Old August 25th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #1031
trainrover

If you were so bloody precautious for copyrighting blah-blah-blah, then you'd have lobbed us links upon composing little (respective) introductory summaries
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #1032
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
If you were so bloody precautious for copyrighting blah-blah-blah, then you'd have lobbed us links upon composing little (respective) introductory summaries
You should read up copyright law first. You don't understand what proper sourcing encompasses.

Old August 25th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #1033
trainrover

No art to your --uhm-- persuasion Shame about your post-secondary education having no effect on your proprietary faculties.

Last edited by trainrover; August 25th, 2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old August 26th, 2011, 12:40 AM   #1034
trainrover

Wikipedia is now claiming the Toronto subway no longer being the country's busiest network (by roughly 200,000 daily passengers ) Is this true?
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #1035
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
No art to your --uhm-- persuasion Shame about your post-secondary education having no effect on your proprietary faculties.
Obviously you couldn't be persuaded if you don't understand the topic in the first place. Feel free to share the sections of copyright legislation that restrict the types of proper sourcing.

Old August 26th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1036
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

The issue is not with general copyright law, but instead with the rules on this website which state that when people post an article, only a portion may be posted in the thread and with a link pointing to the rest.
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #1037
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
The issue is not with general copyright law, but instead with the rules on this website which state that when people post an article, only a portion may be posted in the thread and with a link pointing to the rest.
I'm going to raise this to the mod team on what exactly is the risk that we're trying to deal with regarding these links. I find it very confusing because the original intention is likely copyright issues, but posting a link does not necessarily address that. I had a discussion about this in the Aussie forum earlier this year, where I found incorrectly-sourced links posted with the content but it seems that's OK because a link is present. Let me bring this up for more clarification. Thanks.

Old August 28th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #1038
trainrover

Me, I've lately limited my sharing of news by hyperlinking their corresponding headlines to the originators' online versions (for instance, fully replicating them here and then claiming their representing a balanced indication of --say-- the state of Canada's railways would be excessive ).

Last edited by trainrover; August 28th, 2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old August 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #1039
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Me, I've lately limited my sharing of news by hyperlinking their corresponding headlines to the originators' online versions (for instance, fully replicating them here and then claiming their representing a balanced indication of --say-- the state of Canada's railways would be excessive ).
I doubt a news report in isolation can paint a full picture of a company, or an industry. That's why experts need to keep aware of what's happening and piece all the bits together.

Old August 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1040
trainrover

Oh! so all these pages serve as hunting grounds for formulating experts' decisions aided by slanted reports

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto