daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #1061
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Thanks for that link. I do remember reading a while back about old Montreal buses being sent to Havana. I wonder how much of that is going on with other Canadian cities.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #1062
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

His link predates mind That Canadian practice, BTW, became ancient ages ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Quote:
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #1063
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Thanks for that link. I do remember reading a while back about old Montreal buses being sent to Havana. I wonder how much of that is going on with other Canadian cities.
I think selling old rolling stock to other cities in the developing world happens often, not just for Canada, but around the world. However, I see more examples of buses being sold off as 2nd-hands, rather than actual trains.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #1064
Burkitt

Likes (Received): 1

A couple of videos of transit in Toronto that I took while visiting the city back in February.

First, the streetcars:

And also the subway:

Paul
Burkitt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #1065
trainrover

It's not like Canada's has many trains to be offering up, but when it did ... well ... they were deposed like this:

image hosted on flickr

click here instead...
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:26 AM   #1066
hkskyline
Hong Kong

255 TTC H5 and H6 cars is not exactly a small number. Will Montreal plan to sell off its old subway trains as well?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #1067
trainrover

That was a Montreal train, plus I really doubt Montreal's would sell, because pneumatic traction --once it became popular
in itself-- isn't that old (56 years old?) and I couldn't imagine, e.g., Santiago buying any, for the very appeal of their own
network, for example, surpassed Montreal's. Here's another shot of what became of the world's first fully-ATO fleet,
which I suspect is virtually a facsimile of the Toronto fleet you've quoted:

clickable...
Old November 28th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #1068
eltodesukane

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
That was a Montreal train, plus I really doubt Montreal's would sell, because pneumatic traction --once it became popular
in itself-- isn't that old (56 years old?) and I couldn't imagine, e.g., Santiago buying any, for the very appeal of their own
network, for example, surpassed Montreal's. Here's another shot of what became of the world's first fully-ATO fleet,
which I suspect is virtually a facsimile of the Toronto fleet you've quoted:

clickable...
What a waste of money that was.
Money borrowed to build it still has not been repaid.
eltodesukane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #1069
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Railway Gazette
http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/new...v/2011/11.html

Quote:
Metrolinx readies Kitchener extension
28 November 2011

CANADA: Toronto commuter operator GO Transit ran its first train to Kitchener on November 26 as part of testing ahead of the launch of regular services on December 19.

Regional transit authority Metrolinx is investing C$18m to extend services on its Georgetown Line to serve the Kitchener-Waterloo area under an expansion project announced in 2010. The work includes renovations to the CN-owned line operated by the Goderich & Exeter Railway as well as construction of a new stabling facility at Kitchener where the outbound evening peak trains from Toronto will lay over to form inbound services next morning.

The route will initially be served by two trains per day, leaving Kitchener at 05.52 and 07.10 and returning from Toronto at 16.45 and 17.45; journey time is expected to be around 2 h. As well as serving existing stations along the Georgetown Line, the trains will also call at Guelph and Acton. However, the new station at Acton is not expected to open until 2012 as a result of construction delays.

Guelph and Acton both briefly enjoyed GO Transit services in 1990-93, but these were subsequently cut back to Georgetown. Kitchener and Guelph are also served by a daily VIA Rail train in each direction.
Old November 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #1070
hkskyline
Hong Kong

TTC exposes hidden piece of Toronto history
Published On Fri Nov 25 2011
Toronto Star

Subway riders can check out a piece of Toronto lore this weekend.

With the TTC conducting track and switch work at St. George station, Bay station will be closed and trains on the Bloor-Danforth line will be diverted to and from Museum station via Lower Bay station.

Not familiar with it?

Lower Bay is one of two “ghost stations” on Toronto’s subway system. (The other, Lower Queen, is just a hollowed cavern below the Queen station that was to be a stop on a subway line that was never constructed.)

Located under Bay, Lower Bay operated for six months in 1966, but was shut down after officials decided it was too difficult to manage the subway traffic using that as a stop.

The abandoned outpost, which resembles a typical subway stop, with white-tiled walls was reopened to the public for the first time in 2007 as part of Doors Open Toronto.

It’s more typically used for storage, training exercises by Toronto Police and TTC staff, Nuit Blanche installations and Toronto International Film Festival parties. It has been featured in television commercials and movies, such as Bulletproof Monk. The new Resident Evil project, which stars Milla Jovovich, is currently filming there.

“The trains will go slower through Bay and Bloor, so the people can look at the station, but trains will not be stopping,” said TTC spokesperson Danny Nicholson. “It just looks like the Bay station upstairs.”

Regular service resumes Monday at 6 a.m.

Old November 29th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1071
trainrover

Another Canadian practice ... Montreal's airports Dorval and Mirable have sub-Queen-St caverns, plus a semi one under Complexe Montréal Trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
“The trains will go slower through Bay and Bloor, so the people can look at the station

clickable...

The mystery behind your share here is what rediagramming must've taken place for rushed commuters to become slowed

Anyhow, I thought about this abandoned platform after having mused earlier here about possible Yonge platform expansions ... the distance between Bay and Yonge stations stretches a winsy bit over one short (Toronto-long) block, i.e., approximately 150 metres (no?).
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #1072
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
“The trains will go slower through Bay and Bloor, so the people can look at the station, but trains will not be stopping,” said TTC spokesperson Danny Nicholson. “It just looks like the Bay station upstairs.”
That's one of the dumbest things I've read this week.
Old November 30th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #1073
hkskyline
Hong Kong

TTC users need a crusader to battle cuts
Toronto Star

So much for customer loyalty.

The city’s most faithful customers — the beleaguered brigade of transit captives — are getting it in the teeth again. Bus and streetcar service on the most popular routes is being cut back to achieve a confounding funding target established by a befuddling mayor.

Meanwhile, crime is down, and falling by the month. Yet Mayor Rob Ford responds by boosting the police budget.

Transit ridership rises to an all-time high, with projections of more than 500 million rides in 2012. Instead of offering transit users a bonus — like better service, or a fare-free day — Ford shows them the back of the hand.

He cuts $46 million in transit subsidies, creating a funding crisis that penalizes the very transit rider he should support.

Faced with a demand to cut costs 10 per cent, Toronto police, the most pampered department in the city, rose up in righteous indignation. Chief Bill Blair battled politicians at every turn to preserve every penny of his near billion-dollar behemoth of a budget. And won.

Faced with the same demand, the gentlemanly mandarins at the TTC dutifully go about the task and chop, chop, chop. And a constituency that is millions strong but seemingly powerless and defenceless sleepwalks towards disaster.

How do you feel today, you wretches along Finch Avenue West? You cram the buses. You wait and wait and wait and then wait some more when a bus comes and is too full to take a single passenger. And now transit officials say you must wait longer. And endure more crowded buses once on board. Do you not count in this city?

Who is fighting for you?

This is not to blame TTC chief general manager Gary Webster and his staff — they are terrific soldiers toiling on the front lines, moving more than a million rides a day. But TTC customers need an advocate, a crusader, someone or some group willing to Occupy and protest and march and raise hell until the average commuter in this city region is no longer taken for granted.

Across the border in York Region, a transit strike continues into its fifth week. Nobody gives a rat’s ass.

In Toronto, successive city hall regimes jerk the transit system this way and that, lurching from ridership boosting strategies to a clear path towards ridership erosion.

David Miller introduced the ridership growth strategy. Commuters responded by packing the buses. Ford shows up, yanks the money and sends the buses screeching to a halt, riders toppling over each other, trying to save one threatened route after another.

Is this a way to treat commuters, many of them forced to take transit because they don’t have a car? If you can get away with it, yes.

“Are we proud of it, no,” says Mitch Stambler of the TTC. “It’s part of corporate requirement to meet budget target. We’re doing what we have to do to meet the city’s target.”

The announced service cuts will save $15 million. Webster recommended a 10-cent fare hike for the 2011 budget, pointing out that the system needed the $30 million in generated revenue. Ford rejected it. Now, months later, he wants to cut service along well-travelled routes like Queen, King, Dufferin, Don Mills et al, to save $15 million.

It’s consistent with his decision to abolish the vehicle registration tax that generated some $60 million a year — even as he cries poor and cuts service.

And this passes for proper management of our city.

Everywhere, transit is being reduced and made less attractive. So, here’s a future for the once tent-dwelling “Occupy” crowd. Adopt transit riders and train them.

Old November 30th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #1074
bayviews

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
TTC exposes hidden piece of Toronto history
Toronto Star

Subway riders can check out a piece of Toronto lore this weekend.

With the TTC conducting track and switch work at St. George station, Bay station will be closed and trains on the Bloor-Danforth line will be diverted to and from Museum station via Lower Bay station.

Not familiar with it?

Lower Bay is one of two “ghost stations” on Toronto’s subway system. (The other, Lower Queen, is just a hollowed cavern below the Queen station that was to be a stop on a subway line that was never constructed.)
Interesting, many speculate that the Washington Metro has a ghost line.

But its still just a rumor, so far unconfirmed.
bayviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1075
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
LOL!
Quote:
Is he sleeping? Photo of McCowan TTC booth goes viral
Raveena Aulakh Staff reporter
Published On Fri Jan 22 2010

[IMG]http://i47.************/4rom4p.jpg[/IMG]
A TTC ticket collector is shown apparently catching a quick 40 winks between customers.
Jason Wieler Photo

He's inside the ticket booth, reclining on a chair, his arms draped over his stomach.

And that was enough to send this photograph of a Toronto Transit Commission collector – who appears to be snoozing – viral Thursday, sweeping around the world after it was tweeted by a transit rider.

It was enough to prompt TTC authorities to start an inquiry.

The photo was taken by Jason Wieler on Jan. 9 around 10 p.m. at McCowan Station. On Thursday, he posted it on Twitpic with this caption: "Yup, love how my TTC dollars R being spent ... "

Wieler was leaving the station when he saw the ticket agent catnapping in full view. "I stood by for at least five minutes and he was sleeping," said Wieler.

Some riders were laughing while others were talking about him, he said. A few even went through without paying their fare or showing their Metropass. "I thought here we are, with a fare hike, and look how the money is being wasted."

As soon as the photo was posted, the comments began piling up, mostly from annoyed transit users.

"I didn't post to get anyone in trouble, but to highlight TTC problems," said Wieler.

The TTC is taking it seriously, spokesman Brad Ross said.

"Employees have a responsibility with respect to safety of the station and the system," said Ross. "We expect them to be always alert on their jobs. This is unacceptable."

But he said there might have been extenuating circumstances.

"We are asking for an explanation."
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ttc/...l?bn=1#article
Quote:
Workers' mindsets need to change. Is it so hard to understand such that you need to train people the fact you shouldn't sleep on the job and you face the customer with the least bit of courtesy?

These are the kinds of incidents that should prompt questions on why don't we privatize the workers. Holding them to private sector standards should force a major turnaround.
Actually, the fact of the matter is that that story was nuttin' but a fallacy ... try fast-forwarding to 14'27":
"...that a lady said, 'Can we go now?!'" -- 10'30"

"... But that started the whole domino effect in Toronto." -- 15'38"
Hmph, unlike the Montreal Gazette, the Toronto Star obliges you to cough up some dough to access their archives (drat!), because that 15'-38" comment stretches right back, as far as all the way to 30 March 1954 Toronto's source of dominos must be bottomless

Plus, per Montreal:
Quote:
the driver never fusses with my 'disqualification'
where, decade upon decade, I've yet to see a driver refuse boarding to a fareless passenger

At any rate, I suggest listening to Empire of Illusions

Last edited by trainrover; December 2nd, 2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: punctuation; date recorrected (oops!)
Old December 2nd, 2011, 03:51 AM   #1076
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Actually, the fact of the matter is that that story was nuttin' but a fallacy ... try fast-forwarding to 14'27":
"...that a lady said, "Can we go now?!" -- 10'30"

"... But that started the whole domino effect in Toronto." -- 15'38"
Hmph, unlike the Montreal Gazette, the Toronto Star obliges you to cough up some dough to access their archives (drat!), because that 15'-38" comment stretches right back, as far as all the way to 31 March 1954 Toronto's source of dominos must be bottomless

Plus, per Montreal:

where, decade upon decade, I've yet to see a driver refuse boarding to a fareless passenger

At any rate, I suggest listening to Empire of Illusions
So the point of all of that is ...

Old December 2nd, 2011, 06:23 PM   #1077
trainrover

...all! about interpretation ... and perception
Old December 3rd, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1078
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
...all! about interpretation ... and perception
So what is the other side of the sleeping worker's story? It's OK for a sick worker to sleep on the job?

Old December 4th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #1079
trainrover

Are you cruel?
Quote:
try fast-forwarding to 14'27":
Quote:
Old December 5th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #1080
trainrover

Quote:
I chatted to an off-duty bus driver the evening of the day that I listened to the following radio broadcast, and his feedback was that drivers here seldom suffer violence and that today's newspaper news --passengers running, jaywalking for the bus-- is a major problem around the island:
Many questions in wake of bus accident

clickable...

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto