daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 9th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #1141
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

It's only better than taking a cab if you are by yourself. 2 people will cost atleast $50 plus a possible $6 for 2 transit tickets to get to the station.

This is not, under any consideration, a public transit service. The only thing public about this line is that the public are paying 100% of the cost of it.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #1142
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

I thought that the diesels are only temporary.. as in no more than 3 years of them. only enough to get through the pan-ams and then have them converted to electric, as the infrastructure for EMU's could not be built by 2015.

and suburbanist, toronto is building 50km of LRT right now, and another 27km will probably receive funding in the next couple of years. Hardly 3rd world. on top of that we have probably close to 50km of BRT being built.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #1143
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

I think Metrolinx is claiming that they're temporary, but there's no guarantee that electrification will happen anytime soon as they're desperate for funding. A funding model for their 'Big Move' projects is supposed to be released within the year, which will likely include road tolls and possibly a regional sales tax.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1144
saiho

Likes (Received): 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I thought that the diesels are only temporary.. as in no more than 3 years of them. only enough to get through the pan-ams and then have them converted to electric, as the infrastructure for EMU's could not be built by 2015.
They are its just ssiguy2 making a big deal about the diesel part of it.

Quote:
and suburbanist, toronto is building 50km of LRT right now, and another 27km will probably receive funding in the next couple of years. Hardly 3rd world. on top of that we have probably close to 50km of BRT being built.
no complaining from me here, the ball in Toronto has started to roll... after 10 or so years of searching for that ball.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1145
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
toronto is building 50km of LRT right now
Any picture
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #1146
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

I don't know how you could say I'm the only person making a big deal about running diesel trains. City councillors don't want them and nor does anyone living even remotely close to the line. Remember this will be the ONLY rail service to an airport on this planet that will run diesel trains.

Metrolinx say they want to electrify the line "at some point" which in Toronto means within this millenium. Also even if the electrify the line it is still just a line for tax right-offs.

This line will not offer anymore transit service to Torontonians than the Maid of the Mist does to the people of Niagara.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #1147
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

^Well not really. Alaska Railroad runs service to ANC with diesel. Although that service is for cruise passengers only.

Metra technically runs train service to ORD with diesel engine.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1148
trainrover

Diesel electric rail service to an airport tells me that the city mustn't take transit seriously, which is how come I doubt the construction of LRT there not be real.
Old August 26th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #1149
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Any picture
Quote:
Diesel electric rail service to an airport tells me that the city mustn't take transit seriously, which is how come I doubt the construction of LRT there not be real.
actually its only ~25km of LRT all which belongs to the Eglinton Crosstown it broke ground in 2011 and TBMs will start tunnelling this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
I don't know how you could say I'm the only person making a big deal about running diesel trains. City councillors don't want them and nor does anyone living even remotely close to the line. Remember this will be the ONLY rail service to an airport on this planet that will run diesel trains.

Metrolinx say they want to electrify the line "at some point" which in Toronto means within this millenium. Also even if the electrify the line it is still just a line for tax right-offs.

This line will not offer anymore transit service to Torontonians than the Maid of the Mist does to the people of Niagara.
City councillors don't understand how long it takes to design an electrification system even if its what engineers call custom off the shelf (COTS) technology. The line has to be done by 2015 and they are still in the pre-planning phase. Also GO is a growing system once the ARL is electrified i don't think it will just stagnate like the AMT Deux-Montagnes line.
Old August 27th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #1150
trainrover

Stagnate? Just what makes you think that that Canadia/en term be Quebec, since, after all, neither deux nor montagne -- let alone mountain-- had appeared anywhere in this here thread? Should your accusatory stance be indeed compulsive, then do/get it right, e.g., I must be the first to be informing you of la Jonction de l'Est, never mind the equivalently double-stacking of its very rakes . . .

You see, it's exactly this imprecisely and overly infrequent cdn-anglofilic snippiness of this, e.g., member's, that induces me to lean toward separatism :overly-fed-up:

Last edited by trainrover; August 27th, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #1151
saiho

Quote:
Stagnate? Just what makes you think that that Canadia/en term be Quebec, since, after all, neither deux nor montagne -- let alone mountain-- had appeared anywhere in this here thread? Should your accusatory stance be indeed compulsive, then do/get it right, e.g., I must be the first to be informing you of la Jonction de l'Est, never mind the equivalently double-stacking of its very rakes . . .

You see, it's exactly this imprecisely and overly infrequent cdn-anglofilic snippiness of this, e.g., member's, that induces me to lean toward separatism :overly-fed-up:
Whoa, I meant stagnate in the field of electrification, AMT has improved its service like GO transit but they haven't really expanded their electric traction capabilities. My point is that the electrified ARL will look as lonely as the deux-montagne if GO didn't follow though with more electrification.
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #1152
trainrover

Whoa deflected right back atcha, you're wrong, coz the 2 mtns line underwent a major retrofit to its power & traction ... funny your making nothing outta the conversion from 2700DC to 25000AC + all its consequential benefits...
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:57 PM   #1153
saiho

OK i didn't know about AMT's vision 2020 electrification plan. so AMT is not stagnating. But on the contrary still proves my point earlier, with a small stretch of electrification such as future ARL or deux montagnes and the future prospect ridership growth will provide the impetus to expand the electrified network. There is a good chance GO will follow though with the electrification of the Georgetown and both Lakeshore lines in the midterm.

Quote:
Whoa deflected right back atcha, you're wrong, coz the 2 mtns line underwent a major retrofit to its power & traction ... funny your making nothing outta the conversion from 2700DC to 25000AC + all its consequential benefits...
ironically, compared to vision 2020 is not a big deal at all. The shanghai metro line 1 converted from DC to AC and the entire London subsurface network will run from the awk. 630V to the more normal 750V. No one is doing flips over that.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 02:12 AM   #1154
trainrover

Good chance? around Can-o'-duh? You're a muddled person ... the AMT flipped the switch to its voltage yestermillenium.

You see, Canadia/ens oughtta first become accustomed to scoring truth prior to taking to the practise of stretching it
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:34 AM   #1155
saiho

Quote:
Good chance? around Can-o'-duh? You're a muddled person ... the AMT flipped the switch to its voltage yestermillenium.
Ironic that a person who claims that Canadians stretch the truth is making a big deal out of a voltage change which happened almost 20 years ago, that I am also fully aware of. Regardless of the time it was converted my response is still valid; a change in volts and current type is not a big deal, not in the 90's not today. The correct idea is that the Deux-Montagnes Line had a complete overhaul in infrastructure. Not some measly voltage change.

Quote:
You see, Canadia/ens oughtta first become accustomed to scoring truth prior to taking to the practise of stretching it
Well I do admit I am an optimist these days. The past 10-20 years of Toronto's transit has been a stagnating mess and Canada is possibly the worst developed country when it comes to railway based transit. I too back then had a pessimistic view on Toronto transit but you know what things are starting to look up... in terms of intra city mass transit. There is no embellishing of facts. Firstly there is no facts stated just qualitative observations and speculation. Note the use of "Good Chance" instead of say "definitely", "will", "certainly", or "promised". I am well aware that many projects get lost and hopes dashed in Toronto and that this is no exception. I am just merely saying that GO is working on designing the electrification system and moving forward with it. As this time the EA is done and they moved on to pre-planning. Still plenty of opportunities for the project to get axed and/or denied of funding, whatever floats your boat.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:56 AM   #1156
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover
Stagnate?
It wasn't all that long ago that 2-mtns trains had cowboy trains for its stock ... kiddo, once somebody cocks up at making statements, it often turns out my abandoning the remaining 4/5 of what s/he bothered to attempt relating ...
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:49 PM   #1157
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
actually its only ~25km of LRT all which belongs to the Eglinton Crosstown it broke ground in 2011 and TBMs will start tunnelling this year.
the eglinton crosstown is 19km, but then there is the sheppard east LRT line, (12km) the finch west LRT line (10km) and the SRT conversion and extension. (9km, with 6.3km of it replacing an existing service) That is 50 km, and 44km of new service. plus the 8.6km subway extension.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #1158
saiho

Quote:
the eglinton crosstown is 19km, but then there is the sheppard east LRT line, (12km) the finch west LRT line (10km) and the SRT conversion and extension. (9km, with 6.3km of it replacing an existing service) That is 50 km, and 44km of new service. plus the 8.6km subway extension.
yes, but of all those only the eglinton crosstown and the subway is actually under construction the rest still hasn't broken ground.
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #1159
trainrover

Quote:

wouldn't be sharing it were it not for Telly + subway yard shots (ending)
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #1160
saiho

http://torontoist.com/2012/09/spotte...ew-streetcars/

new streetcars have arrived (with pics)

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto