daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #1201
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Our bus fleet is actually very new, less than 5 years old.

We're also getting new streetcars next year:

geometarkv liked this post
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #1202
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Just came back from Toronto.
I like the metro there. The trams are ok, but the buses are really old. How come such a big city doesnt invest in new bus flet?
plus the old fashioned fare.
If you stayed downtown you probably ran into the replacement buses with all of the various construction projects going on. The oldest buses in the fleet seem to be relegated to replacement shuttle services.

The TTC does have limited access through the regional fare card, PRESTO at about a dozen subway stations. The new trams will be PRESTO-capable and rollout through the rest of the system is supposed to start next year. It's essentially "if it ain't broken, why fix it?" attitude. Coupled with constant funding shortfalls, they've dragged their feet at the cost of upgrading the fare system.

Metrolinx, the regional transit agency is looking into some sort of arrangement between Toronto and the suburban agencies who already have agreements amongst themselves that allow passengers to freely transfer amongst those agencies. Currently transferring from a suburban agency or the commuter service GO to the TTC requires a full separate fare.

An arrangement, probably with the implementation of PRESTO would allow for a probably discounted fare if not a free transfer altogether. This also solves the problem of suburban agency routes duplicating TTC routes, often with better service, which TTC patrons can't freely use without the additional fare.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #1203
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
Our bus fleet is actually very new, less than 5 years old. ...
That surprises me, i stayed 4 days in Toronto and didnt see any of these new buses or trams. I was really shocked how old all busses were.
I didnt go only around downtown, was also in Kipling area riding there both busses and trams but neve hit into a new fleet.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #1204
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5737

Even a bus of the type ridden by Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock may be found in T.O. these days.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #1205
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

Those really old ones were finally retired last year.

Our oldest buses are from 1996.. But it takes a lot of money to replace buses, especially if you are running a system of over 2,000 buses.

Torontos transit system was essentially left to rot for the last 20 years, and we are just now playing catchup. The streetcars don't come into service until next year, so that is why you didn't see any haha.

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; July 12th, 2013 at 05:48 AM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #1206
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

update of the BRT in markham..

Quote:
Here's a quick update from my way to work today:

The Rapidways and intersections have been paved in red asphalt. Bike lanes are painted, but blocked by pylons. I had to ride in the curb traffic lane, and I got honked at by someone who told me to get off the road.

The stops seem pretty close to finished. All the fare machines seem to be installed and the Next Bus displays are running. For a while last week they were actually displaying next bus information, but they've since chaged to messages such as "Visit yrt.ca" or "Stay cool and hydrated" on hot days.

reaperexpress at UT

also, the streetcars had their first daytime run on the streets of Toronto on Tuesday:

TTC Streetcars Make First Public Appearance

Capacity: 70 seated and 181 standing, for a total of 251 passengers per vehicle. (The current cars hold 132.)
Dimensions: 30 metres long, 2.5 metres wide, and nearly 4 metres high.
Maximum speed (though of course this is constrained by road conditions): 70 km/h
Rollout schedule: you’ll be able to ride the new vehicles by mid-2014 on the Spadina, Bathurst, and Dundas routes; other streets will follow, about one per year, until the full rollout is complete by mid-2018.
Service: the streetcars will arrive at 671 stops on 11 routes, providing a total of 82 kilometres of service.
Doors: One of the much-vaunted features of these new cars, meant to decrease the time spent at each stop, is all-door loading. Each streetcar has four doors, and payment can be made at all of them.
Payment: when the streetcars first enter service, there will be a mixed bag of payment options—existing fare media (such as Metropasses and tokens) will be accepted, as will the new Presto system. Some major stops will be equipped with fare-dispensing machines during this transitional period. Eventually, the entire system will move over to Presto.

http://torontoist.com/2013/07/taking...ar-for-a-ride/

Many more pictures if you follow the link.

kyah117 liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #1207
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

What is the average distance between stops on the new VIVAways?
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #1208
saiho

Likes (Received): 1287

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
What is the average distance between stops on the new VIVAways?
Varies but the first section opening in 2013 between leslie and bayview passes through a major Chinese shopping district so the stop spacing is around 500m.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #1209
ssiguy2

That's not too bad as that is the minimum it should be if it wants to be a rapid transit service. The spacing of TransitCity's Sheppard and Finch of 200 to 300 meters is just ridiculous.
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #1210
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Back up a moment there: The ridiculousness lies with substituting metro journeys with :pfft: super-duper! bus trips.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #1211
saiho

Likes (Received): 1287

some recent pics by me. West and East Beaver Creek Station was supposed to open late June 2013 but you know delays and stuff.

Woodbine Station
image hosted on flickr

West Beaver Creek Station
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

East Beaver Creek Station
image hosted on flickr

Allstate Parkway Station
image hosted on flickr

n20, kyah117 liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #1212
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Am I seeing buried power lines? A century after the technology was invented, but I'll take it. Also puts to rest those weak arguments that it's only possible in a dense city core.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #1214
n20
Vicarious Urbanizer

Wow, very nice collection of pictures, MafaldaBoy!
Beautiful bus stations as well.

However, will the bus stations be enclosed considering the Toronto winter or remain open?
Also, will this BRTS line be grade-separated?
n20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #1215
ssiguy2

This is what Toronto's TransitCity design for Finch & Sheppard should be and not the much more expensive streetcar they have planned.
Old August 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #1216
Protteus
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Likes (Received): 188

Don't you know if this line will manage express routes, so that the buses avoid to stop at certain stations?
Protteus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #1217
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

The system looks ok, but wow what a bleak, desolate-looking landscape.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #1218
isaidso
the new republic

The bike lane design is disappointing, but the rest is quite good. Hopefully down the road, we'll get properly bike lanes separated from regular road traffic like exists in Montreal.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #1219
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
The system looks ok, but wow what a bleak, desolate-looking landscape.
Most of Toronto beyond the core is bleak and depressing like that. These are actually the nice bits. I try not to look out the window when driving through it. Sometimes it works.

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1220
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protteus View Post
Don't you know if this line will manage express routes, so that the buses avoid to stop at certain stations?
There are local routes as well running along the corridor, so I assume they will be serving the street-side stops, otherwise they'd have to dart between the centre and curb lane all along their route.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto