daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 17th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #1241
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

There is no need for a subway under Queen St. The ridership pattern on Queen is pretty local, and much of the congestion is due to street parking, and left turn lanes. The ridership on Queen is nowhere even close to justify a subway.

Eglinton cannot be built as a subway because Toronto's geography will make it very expensive to completely tunnel all the way to Scarborough. East of Laird, the corridor to Scarborough is a typical wide suburban corridor with lots with widely spaced intersections. Surface LRT is more than sufficent to handle the demand. The Central section is where the most demand is, and it's in tunnel. There's no need for a subway on Eglinton. It's just a waste of limited dollars.

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1242
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

With stale arguments like that one it's no wonder this country's prominence in the world slips daily ...
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #1243
saiho

Likes (Received): 1289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
So they're building and when is this line planed to be ready?
the orginal plan back in the 80s and 90s was to have a full metro on Eglinton covering the west side of town but it got canceled just when it started construction. Here is an idea of what it could have looked like:

The Crosstown LRT can be viewed as the spiritual successor of that plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
There is no need for a subway under Queen St. The ridership pattern on Queen is pretty local, and much of the congestion is due to street parking, and left turn lanes. The ridership on Queen is nowhere even close to justify a subway.
Its local because its so slow longer distance travel uses other more roundabout routes. If queen was faster, more longer distance commuters would use it. Being the visionary I think using the DRL and Queen can be the East West equivalent of the Yonge-University sandwich. The 2 lines will sandwich Liberty Village,the Entertainment District, Distillery District, and West Don Lands which are going to look like Bay street in 20-30 years with all those condos going up.

Last edited by saiho; September 18th, 2013 at 01:20 AM.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #1244
Canadian Lover

Likes (Received): 3

Here are some of my photos of the subway that I took when I was in Toronto earlier this year. All photos from my website. Photos originally published [url=http://metrorailroad.org]here[/url

Old September 18th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1245
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
With stale arguments like that one it's no wonder this country's prominence in the world slips daily ...
Great.

Provide a good reason why a local streetcar line whose capacity is currently around 3,000 p/h with a ridership of 43,000 running through a dense urban core needs to be replaced by a subway with that will probably only have stops at major intersection, and will still require the streetcar to satisfy the riders that will still use it to get to destinations between subway stops?

There is a large valley that runs through Toronto that will require any subway to run either very deep, or be elevated. The Bloor Line runs on the lower level of a viaduct, and the Sheppard Line run on a covered bridge between Leslie and Don Mills stations.

Metrolinx looked at the possibility of an underground LRT all the way to Scarborough, and determined the cost was prohibitive, considering the amount of space available on the surface.

Much quicker, and cheaper solutions can be implemented than trying to build a subway under a corridor that doesn't need one. On-street parking needs to be banned, more intersections can receive advanced left-turns, the TTC can actually try to manage the line better, All-door boarding will be possible with the new LRVs. Quick fixes like these will go a long way to improving the transit on Queen rather than a subway.

Last edited by JustinB; September 18th, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
JustinB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #1246
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Why can't we have some place inviting or, God forbid, beautiful? To think that this is one of our renovated nice looking stations:
This station seems to be safe, well-lit and in a good shape. I would call that inviting in that sense, that you don´t feel uncomfortable or unsafe using this. The vast majority of stations worldwide look as clean and interesting like this one. The mid50s design of Torontos early stations gives a big contrast to Montreals newer stations but they are somewhat timeless. I would definetely prefer this tiled station compared to the offered bare-concrete walls of Sheppard-subway and elsewhere in the world. Concrete is hard to clean from dust and dirt and often has visual impacts from ugly leckages.

I know that some people spell TTC take-the car but Toronto has a good subway, even more if it is compared to other north-american systems.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #1247
JustinB

agreed, Tunnel Owl

I wonder how many subway systems offer 3-5 minute service 20 hours a day on the weekends?

Also, the spadina extension to York Region (a suburb) will have architecturally striking stations.
Old September 19th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #1248
Pierre50

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post

What is the type and serial number sequence of these new Rocket trains ?
Pierre50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #1249
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
This station seems to be safe, well-lit and in a good shape. I would call that inviting in that sense, that you don´t feel uncomfortable or unsafe using this. The vast majority of stations worldwide look as clean and interesting like this one. The mid50s design of Torontos early stations gives a big contrast to Montreals newer stations but they are somewhat timeless. I would definetely prefer this tiled station compared to the offered bare-concrete walls of Sheppard-subway and elsewhere in the world. Concrete is hard to clean from dust and dirt and often has visual impacts from ugly leckages.
Safe, clean, and well lit should be the bare minimum we demand of our stations. We should aim for a higher standard than that regardless of what other cities build. I expect far more than functionality.

Sheppard station isn't a good place to start when thinking about creative ways to beautify our stations.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #1250
Thyago_RC

Likes (Received): 8

I don't like those trains
Thyago_RC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #1251
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre50 View Post
What is the type and serial number sequence of these new Rocket trains ?
Name: Toronto Rocket (T35A08)
Fleet #: 5381-6076

Source
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #1252
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 680

My god I could spend an hour refuting the comments made the last couple of pages, so let's keep it short.

1. Ridership on the eglinton line will be 5,900 PPHD on opening day in 2020. The LRT system with 90m trains can handle 20,000+. It runs underground exactly like a metro with fare paid zones for 10 of it's 19km route. For another 3km it runs on the surface, crossing only a single intersection, and dipping under a major street with an underground station. About 11 intersection crossings total on the surface portion. Ridership on the surface portions is projected to be around 3,500 PPHD, lower than even the Sheppard subway and a couple of streetcar lines. There is absolutely no reason for there to be a metro there, yet alone one that can handle 11x the demand it will experience.

2. The metro DRL is needed for dozens of reasons, from reducing yonge ridership to relieving the overloaded tram network to reducing strain on Bloor-Yonge station. A GO line on the Bala subdivision (Richmond Hill line) does absolutely nothing for relieving the streetcar network or relieving Bloor-Yonge station. (Though it does slightly assist with relieving the Yonge line so hourly service on the GO line should be implemented anyways)

3. It is hard to fix existing stations. The ones that are being rebuilt are looking better, but they are sadly still restrained to the basic features of the current stations. (See Victoria Park for a good recent rebuild) the new stations on the Spadina extension are quite nice (questionably overbuilt), and the original Spadina line has above average stations as well, but they are 1970's and look really dated. The Eglinton LRT's 13 underground stops seem to be fairly basic, but not as much as most existing subway stations. (Probably more along the lines of what a metro station should be like, rather than the bare-bones Sheppard line)

Nouvellecosse liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1253
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Have the excessively noisy crossover points just east of Vic Pk stn ever been calmed?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 05:59 PM   #1254
MafaldaBoy

Likes (Received): 406

Warden Station - VIVA Purple, Pink, Green

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
MafaldaBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1255
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Where are the ticket machines?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1256
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Maybe you don't need them, and ride for free
Btw. it looks awesome, the new stations, i mean

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #1257
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

A look at Toronto's transit;

Yellow = Metro
Dark Blue = Grade seperated LRT
Light Blue = At grade LRT
Red = Streetcar
Orange = BRT
Black = commuter rail that runs at least once an hour all day

What Toronto looks like today;

What Toronto will look like once everything currently funded is built;

What Toronto will look like if the Provincial transit tax gets passed in the spring;

What Toronto could look like in 2030 if I had my way;

Old September 25th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #1258
saiho

The DRL is funded already? I don't remember it being so.
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:25 AM   #1259
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

ohh oops, your right. With so many projects to keep track of for these images, I knew I would make a mistake. oh well.
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #1260
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Looks nice until you realize how seamless the system is. That map entails so many different transit system all with different fares, timetables, and non-integration of the system that calling it is a system is a real stretch.

You would need a timetable longer than your arm and a super computer to try to figure out your fare and which transit system you are suppose to take. Greater Toronto is a maze of disjointed transit fiefdoms making any form of relative long distance travel in the metropolitan area very hard work.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto