daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #1261
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

... Presto. Once the TTC gets it fully rolled out Metrolinx is going to start integrating fares more than it currently does.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1262
JustinB

Likes (Received): 30

I don't get it. What's so hard about paying a fare, getting a transfer, and using that transfer to board another agency's bus within the 2 hour time limit?

This is going to fall on deaf ears, but not many transit user in the GTA use more than 2 transit systems, and many transit systems run routes into neighbouring municpalities.
Not only that, there is a handy pass called the GTA pass that covers MiWay, TTC, Brampton Transit, and YRT.

I guess it's easy to whine about a system you don't use.
Old September 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #1263
saiho

Likes (Received): 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post

I guess it's easy to whine about a system you don't use.
Actually non local non frequent users are the best measure of the usability of the system. If the GTA wants to have a truly world class public transit system such as hong kong or Paris it better heed complaints like this.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #1264
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

The key is that they be occasional users, not people who constantly complain about the system from the other side of the continent and without even taking the time to figure out what the actual setup is.
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #1265
JustinB

Exactly!
Old September 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #1266
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The key is that they be occasional users, not people who constantly complain about the system from the other side of the continent and without even taking the time to figure out what the actual setup is.
For sure I agree in that respect but for a system that is touted to be good, I hardly think it is very user friendly. You know there is a problem if even the locals need an explanation of how the fare system works. Regardless like I said before truly user friendly systems extend their ease of use to beyond the occasional user. Of course when presto rolls out it will be a lot better but i'm pretty sure the TTC will find a way to mess it up like they always do.
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #1267
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

TTCs full implementation, after transition will be very simple. every bus and streetcar will operate on POP, and you tap on with presto. if you do not have presto, you get on the bus, and there will be a fare machine on board. you pay your fare, and you get a POP receipt. that simple. The transition period is much more complicated, as every person will have to get a POP receipt at first (including PRESTO riders), and the fare machines will accept both TTC tokens and cash.

I expect the TTC to implement a $0.75 cent fare to GO like most suburban municipalities currently do (provided you have PRESTO), and once the TTC is PRESTO ready, Metrolinx will probably start to implement more substantial fare integration.
Old September 28th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #1268
JustinB

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
For sure I agree in that respect but for a system that is touted to be good, I hardly think it is very user friendly. You know there is a problem if even the locals need an explanation of how the fare system works. Regardless like I said before truly user friendly systems extend their ease of use to beyond the occasional user. Of course when presto rolls out it will be a lot better but i'm pretty sure the TTC will find a way to mess it up like they always do.
But what is wrong with the current system? The transfer policy is needlessly complicated, but I don't see any confusion regarding fares. Pay a flat $3.00, or use a pass. It's pretty straightforward..

Are you talking about the fare barrier? Even with Presto, it's unlikely the barrier will go away. It's extra revenue for Toronto, and the surrounding agencies. Has anyone used Presto on YRT,BRT, MT, and then at a subway station? I can only assume you get charged twice.
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #1269
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinB View Post
But what is wrong with the current system? The transfer policy is needlessly complicated, but I don't see any confusion regarding fares. Pay a flat $3.00, or use a pass. It's pretty straightforward..

Are you talking about the fare barrier? Even with Presto, it's unlikely the barrier will go away. It's extra revenue for Toronto, and the surrounding agencies. Has anyone used Presto on YRT,BRT, MT, and then at a subway station? I can only assume you get charged twice.
Yes you do get charged twice but that's not the problem the problem you could say is that there is no presto; which I said should in theory fix everything. User friendliness goes beyond just fares. Buying a fare seems unnerving to the non-locals. Token machines don't except fives, I saw someone drop a twenty in the fare box at a subway station and asked for 3 tokens and change and the fare collector flipped out. Transfer system inefficient and convoluted it took me 10 min to explain the red "T" system and the queen POP etc. TTC through operations with YRT and Miway are another story.
Old September 28th, 2013, 05:02 AM   #1270
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Completely agree, the TTC fare system is still a complete mess. This will of course change with PRESTO to what I explained, and it can't come fast enough.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #1271
MafaldaBoy

Likes (Received): 406

Union Station Revitalization

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1272
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Why haven't they raised the platforms? What is wrong with these wooden slabs? Strange arrangement, very outdated (concrete is much better and should have been used in an extensive renovation project).
Old October 9th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1273
JustinB

Because passengers board the bi-level cars at that level? There are platforms for easy accessibilty. It's not a big issue. The trainshed is a listed building, so it's can't be demolished. I would have preferred the glass roof go over all the platforms, but it still looks really good.
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #1274
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

There is a high level platform for a short distance to ensure accessibility. (you can see it in the third last photo) There is no point in using concrete "slabs" as wood is just as effective and much cheaper. Concrete tends to only be used in places where wood is scarce. Every other platform on the GO network is not raised, so it would be silly to have raised train platforms here. (As well as the fact that VIA trains do not use raised platforms)
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:06 PM   #1275
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Some photo of TTC subway station

image hosted on flickr

Don Mills Subway Station by roken-roliko, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Finch Subway station by AshtonPal, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

York Mills Station, Toronto by Photolifer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Museum TTC Subway Station, Toronto by Davoud D., on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Green walls by AshtonPal, on Flickr

natansalda, pudgym29, geometarkv, Jewish liked this post
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:11 PM   #1276
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10972

I like Museum Station, but wondering when they're going to finish it. The ceiling is still the concrete and steel pipe mess it was before. Did they run out of money?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1277
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

It's been 5 years since the renovation. It's a shame the station looks like incomplete.
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #1278
MafaldaBoy

Likes (Received): 406

Enterprise Station | Markham | VIVA Purple, Pink, Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Where are the ticket machines?
image hosted on flickr

Warden Station by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

Cedarland Station | Markham | VIVA Purple, Green

image hosted on flickr

Cedarland Station by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Cedarland Station by MafaldaBoy, on Flickr
MafaldaBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #1279
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

The VIVA fare system is ridiculously expensive and it looks like the frequency will not be good but the system of their BRT looks like a lot of effort and planning went into it. It looks like it has all the bells and whistles to make the system run effectively and quickly with attractive stations and streetscape.

As for the TTC fare system there is no way in hell why the GTA should have such a huge number of different transit agencies which makes fares complicated, transfers difficult, routes unconnected, planning uncoordinated, and very bureaucratic. The GTA should have, at most, five transit systems and GO namely TTC, Peel, Halton, York, and Durham.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:00 AM   #1280
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
As for the TTC fare system there is no way in hell why the GTA should have such a huge number of different transit agencies which makes fares complicated, transfers difficult, routes unconnected, planning uncoordinated, and very bureaucratic. The GTA should have, at most, five transit systems and GO namely TTC, Peel, Halton, York, and Durham.
PRESTO Card aside, aside from the TTC all of the other suburban transit agencies had transfer agreements accepting each other's transfers. There is a lot more cross-border route penetration (aside from York and Durham who only just recently introduced a connecting route, albeit at the far north end of both jurisdictions). The suburban agencies also have arrangements with GO Transit offering discounted fares.

The integration works so well that when I was much younger I made a trip from Hamilton to Thornhill on a single $2 fare. I remember at the time there were a few stories in the media about making similar trips across the GTA.

Consolidating transit agencies for greater efficiencies of scale sounds good, but with Halton and Peel there are large rural areas which have been much less enthusiastic towards regionalized transit compared to York and Durham. It could be a matter of reaching a critical mass to support transit. The various agencies already place joint orders for new vehicles.

Within Peel, Mississauga and Brampton seem to be at odds over the future of the LRT project. Sorting out funding between the municipalities in any regional agency is always the trickiest part. Do you fund based on population, service coverage, split evenly?
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto