daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:45 AM   #1341
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto
 
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,961
Likes (Received): 681

most of that is for the GO concourse expansion, not the second platform, but yes.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:55 AM   #1342
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto
 
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,961
Likes (Received): 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
As for me, I would like to see Waterfront West LRT. As far as I know, Ford cancelled it, isn't it?
Waterfront West LRT is dead as a doornail, it never had funding and Ford didn't cancel it. All of Fords cancellations have been reinstated, with the addition of upgrading to one of the LRTs to a subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klausenburg View Post
Do you have any idea why Flexity Freedom is more aproppriate for North America then Flexity 2 ?
The Streetcars are actually Flexity Outlooks, custom built for the TTC from my understanding at Bombardier's Thunder Bay plant. (Is essentially a plant built exclusively to supply Toronto with all of its train needs, every train run in the city is built by Bombardier) The streetcars have single side doors, custom gauge, modifications to fit the extremely tight turn radii in Toronto, and other things such as a trolley pole for the first couple of years of operations as the electrical supply system is upgraded for pantographs.

Toronto will be using Flexity Outlooks on the new build LRT lines such as the Eglinton Crosstown (the largest infrastructure project in Toronto's history), train selection was done in 2008, but I don't know why exactly they chose Freedoms over Flexity 2's. These LRTs will have double side doors, standard gauge, etc. They will essentially be off the shelf.
__________________

Klausenburg, dimlys1994 liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #1343
Tramwayman
Trams the Best!!!
 
Tramwayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tbilisi
Posts: 619
Likes (Received): 529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Matou View Post
They are Bombardier Flexity Outlook Toronto.

Flexity Freedom is another model, they are not even made.
Tramwayman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 05:25 PM   #1344
Gros Matou
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Montréal
Posts: 83
Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramwayman View Post
They are Bombardier Flexity Outlook Toronto.

Flexity Freedom is another model, they are not even made.
I stand corrected. The Flexity Freedom is the model that will run on the Eglinton LRT.
__________________

Klausenburg liked this post
Gros Matou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #1345
dimlys1994
Moderator
 
dimlys1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dniepropetrovsk
Posts: 16,340
Likes (Received): 26131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Waterfront West LRT is dead as a doornail, it never had funding and Ford didn't cancel it. All of Fords cancellations have been reinstated, with the addition of upgrading to one of the LRTs to a subway.
So when all projected LRTs will be completed, there is a chance to see WW LRT in about 2020s in the event of proper funding?
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1346
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto
 
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,961
Likes (Received): 681

not really, it has dropped off of all planning documents. Like the don mills and jane LRTs it is for all purposes dead. The next couple of projects that they want to fund are more subway expansions to deal with the existing system overloading.
__________________

dimlys1994 liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2014, 09:27 PM   #1347
dimlys1994
Moderator
 
dimlys1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dniepropetrovsk
Posts: 16,340
Likes (Received): 26131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
not really, it has dropped off of all planning documents. Like the don mills and jane LRTs it is for all purposes dead. The next couple of projects that they want to fund are more subway expansions to deal with the existing system overloading.
So, where new subway lines will be?
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #1348
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto
 
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,961
Likes (Received): 681

DRL, a subway running roughly along King street through downtown from roughly Pape station to Dundas west. It'll relieve the overloaded yonge line south of bloor and fix the problem of station overcrowding at Bloor-Yonge, as well as providing a reliable link east west on the south end of downtown which currently relies on overcrowded and unreliable streetcars. $7+ billion dollar project, 13km long subway line. Also the Yonge extension north to Richmond hill to deal with bus system overloads in that area.
__________________

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; March 28th, 2014 at 02:11 AM.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 07:31 AM   #1349
swimmer_spe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 224
Likes (Received): 18

I still think that the Young like should only be extended up to Steeles.

Make a new line up Bay-Avenue-Bathurst to Steeles, then jog it over after The Promenade to go north to Richmond Hill Centre.

The Young side cannot carry much more.
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #1350
saiho
Registered User
 
saiho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 多伦多/多倫多
Posts: 1,360
Likes (Received): 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I still think that the Young like should only be extended up to Steeles.

Make a new line up Bay-Avenue-Bathurst to Steeles, then jog it over after The Promenade to go north to Richmond Hill Centre.

The Young side cannot carry much more.
That line would serve no one it just saturates the area "well" served by subways with more subways. A DRL would relive crowding of the Yonge line and East West streetcar lines while servicing under serviced neighborhoods.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #1351
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto
 
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,961
Likes (Received): 681

there are major capacity increases coming to the yonge line to deal with increased demand on the corridor, building another subway line right beside it has no point.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:22 AM   #1352
swimmer_spe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 224
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
That line would serve no one it just saturates the area "well" served by subways with more subways. A DRL would relive crowding of the Yonge line and East West streetcar lines while servicing under serviced neighborhoods.
A DRL needs to be built prior to extending the Young line.
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:24 AM   #1353
swimmer_spe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 224
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
there are major capacity increases coming to the yonge line to deal with increased demand on the corridor, building another subway line right beside it has no point.

Have you ever rode it during peak times? How can they actually increase capacity?
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:58 AM   #1354
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto
 
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,961
Likes (Received): 681

increased frequency, the new signalling system will increase capacity by up to 35%.

The spadina extension is also expected to divert a bit of the load coming from the north end of the city.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:01 AM   #1355
swimmer_spe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 224
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
increased frequency, the new signalling system will increase capacity by up to 35%.

The spadina extension is also expected to divert a bit of the load coming from the north end of the city.

Those would be nice, if they work.
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 05:54 AM   #1356
saiho
Registered User
 
saiho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 多伦多/多倫多
Posts: 1,360
Likes (Received): 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
A DRL needs to be built prior to extending the Young line.
yes and it serves as a better relief plan.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #1357
MrAronymous
Registered User
 
MrAronymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4,978
Likes (Received): 6077



Now all you to is have to pretend it's in service.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #1358
trainrover
:-x
 
trainrover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,787
Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
not be a Spanish Hispanic Solution
But of course, what else might somebody expect .. it's only Canada.
__________________
.
hee hee
.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 09:56 PM   #1359
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto
 
Innsertnamehere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,961
Likes (Received): 681

couple of big announcements today when the Premier announced $29 billion in new infrastructure spending. pretty vague on a lot of things still, but these are the projects we know of so far:


Downtown Relief subway line

15 minute electrified GO service on all lines except Milton

HSR between Toronto, Kitchener, and London

Hurontario LRT

Hamilton LRT

GO expansion into Niagara

Durham BRT
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 10:04 PM   #1360
swimmer_spe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 224
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
couple of big announcements today when the Premier announced $29 billion in new infrastructure spending. pretty vague on a lot of things still, but these are the projects we know of so far:


Downtown Relief subway line

15 minute electrified GO service on all lines except Milton

HSR between Toronto, Kitchener, and London

Hurontario LRT

Hamilton LRT

GO expansion into Niagara

Durham BRT

"IF" They get reelected.
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium