daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2014, 02:21 AM   #1621
mrjun18

Likes (Received): 0

I guess in order to "compete" with the UPX...

TTC rebrands its airport bus — the cheaper if not faster way to Pearson

As Metrolinx officials have been fending off controversy this week about the fares for the new Union Pearson Express (UPX) train, the TTC has been quietly putting the finishing touches on a new branding campaign for its own airport service.
About 4,500 people a day take the 192 bus known as the Airport Rocket. Many of them are airport workers. But avid travellers, including TTC CEO Andy Byford, also avail themselves of the bus that is fitted with luggage racks and makes only three stops between both Pearson terminals and Kipling Station.
The TTC wants to double that number of riders in the next year, said spokesman Brad Ross.
The timing of the Airport Rocket promotion coincides with the UPX launch in the spring and the Pan Am Games next summer. But Ross says the Rocket campaign, which has been in the works for about a year, is mostly to let Torontonians and travelers know that, like other big cities, Toronto has its own airport transit.
“We want people to use the service. We want people to know the TTC is an option for anyone who wants to go to the airport,” he said.
“There are systems around the world that have direct connections. We have an excellent express bus service. We want people to know it’s there,” said Ross.
Starting next month, the TTC is wrapping the 10 buses dedicated to the 192 route with a postcard-travel theme, including the message, “Your journey starts here.”
New subway maps that will begin appearing mid-January will, for the first time, show a surface route. The Airport Rocket will be a red line.
A poster campaign will roll out across the system, with the image of a woman holding a passport stamped with a TTC logo.
New route maps are also in the works for inside the 192 buses, detailing the express route. It runs up Highway 427, making four stops within the airport area. There will be new signage at Kipling for the 192 bus bay, and the TTC is working with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority to raise the bus’s visibility at Pearson.
The $100,000 cost of the campaign — the price of wrapping 10 buses — is part of the TTC’s deal with its advertising agency, said Ross.
Added to the time it takes to ride the subway to Kipling, the 192, which takes about 20 minutes to reach Terminal 1, inevitably takes longer than the 25-minute UPX trip from Union.
But the Airport Rocket runs about every 10 minutes most of the time — less frequently in the late evening — and its price, a subway token, is less than even the lowest UPX fares that were approved by the Metrolinx board on Thursday.
The UPX fare structure has stirred much controversy among those who believe the $456-million, publicly funded line should be priced the same as the TTC. Instead, its base price will be $27.50 for a one-way adult ticket.
A range of discounts means most Toronto riders will pay less, including anyone with a Presto card. Airport workers will receive the most significant reductions. They will be able to ride the UPX for $10, or the equivalent of $7.50 a trip for those who buy a $300 monthly pass.
“When we look at other kinds of services that we offer through GO Transit, those are the similar kinds of fares that people pay every day,” said Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig.
NDP MP Mike Sullivan (York South-Weston) said the cost of UPX is actually closer to $1.4 billion, but Metrolinx hasn’t included in its figure the money spent upgrading the Kitchener GO line. All that additional track capacity will be eaten up by the UPX, he said.
“Everything is in aid of getting this weird service up for the business elite, and that’s not what Torontonians believe public transit is supposed to be,” Sullivan said.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tran...o_pearson.html
mrjun18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2014, 03:28 AM   #1622
Shakeel

Likes (Received): 115

Thats a great news. Hope they will put some new buses on the road rather than those jerky vintage.
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #1623
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

You know transit policy is Toronto is poor and the disconnect between the populace and the transit authorities is huge when the first new "transit" line to open in a decade is receiving nothing but bad reviews. The citizens are in an uproar over this service which their tax dollars built but they won't be able to afford.

I am not kidding when I say that that this line is universally hated by Torontonians and then fares have just be announced and already there are cries of outrage from the rich, the poor, and everyone in between.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #1624
Markotic

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy2 View Post
You know transit policy is Toronto is poor and the disconnect between the populace and the transit authorities is huge when the first new "transit" line to open in a decade is receiving nothing but bad reviews. The citizens are in an uproar over this service which their tax dollars built but they won't be able to afford.

I am not kidding when I say that that this line is universally hated by Torontonians and then fares have just be announced and already there are cries of outrage from the rich, the poor, and everyone in between.
Toronto is an utter disgrace when it comes to transit planning. It used to be great and awesome, but since the 1980s it's quite miserable and sad. It's also so extremely authoritarian, taking in little to no input from people, rather, things are done almost exclusively for politician purposes/reasons. Hence, take their previous plan, Transit City, extremely authoritarian and nonsensical, yet, it has its minority which passionately was in love with it. Then we get crack cocaine mayor, who in my opinion got elected only because he was the ONLY alternative to this nonseniscal fundamentalist anti-subway minority group in power. That's the problem in Toronto, the tyranny of a minority...

Also, amalgamation in the late 1990s, by those PC morons in power back then, caused so many problems too...
Markotic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #1625
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26131

Video on Metrolinx board meeting:

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #1626
dimlys1994

From Urban Toronto, TTC's Leslie Barns Streetcar Facility is almost comple:
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2014/12/...ser-completion

At the same time, TTC and other City departments have been reconstructing Leslie Street from Queen Street East to south of Lake Shore Boulevard East with a new connecting track for the vehicles:

Old December 15th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #1627
dimlys1994

Construction of new Vaughan Centre station:
http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2014/12/...centre-station

Urbanista1 liked this post
Old December 15th, 2014, 11:48 PM   #1628
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10972

Well eat my shorts, they've actually gone beyond functionality and built something airy and beautiful. After the new Union subway platform, I'd lost all hope.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

dimlys1994 liked this post
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 01:28 AM   #1629
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

they didn't have much space at Union to be honest, there is a reason the ceilings are so short, they had to work with the original station. They went for more of a classical style to match the way the station looked on opening day in 1954.

Now if only they could redo all of the original 1954 stations to their old look. The 1970's renos they gave them look like crap.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 01:29 PM   #1630
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10972

Classic in this case is code for stripped down most boring and dreary finishes imaginable. I get depressed just looking at it. If that's what it looked like in 1954: NO THANK YOU!

When you have confined space, material choice becomes crucial. They made all the wrong choices given the parameters available. Colour, texture, and lighting are tools design folk use to make spaces inviting and trick people so they don't realize they're in a basement or travelling down a worm hole. You can tell right away that these people are not designers. Why they didn't hire one is mind boggling.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; December 17th, 2014 at 01:36 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #1631
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

the new platform is extremely bright.

Idk, maybe you only used the old platform which is still under renovation and looks like total crap because its essentially a concrete shell? The new platform has bright white tiles, tons of lighting to make the space feel very bright, large open spaces, etc. Its about as good as I would expect for a subway platform with 7ft tall ceilings.

Zack Fair liked this post
Old December 18th, 2014, 05:10 AM   #1632
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5757

Was this part of a parking garage? What's with the stripes?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 08:26 PM   #1633
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

No it's just a tiling design to break up the otherwise grey tiling.
Old December 19th, 2014, 03:59 AM   #1634
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

For me it's just fine. Bright, clean, with that "corporate" feel. It's a subway station, not a museum. And it's not completed yet, so I would hold my final judgment when the job will be done.
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #1635
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

you also have to remember that there will be a large art wall separating the two platforms that has yet to be installed.

Old December 20th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #1636
dimlys1994

Recent progress on South Blair Street level crossing separation in Whitby:

1 by Metrolinx, on Flickr

2 by Metrolinx, on Flickr

3 by Metrolinx, on Flickr

4 by Metrolinx, on Flickr

geometarkv liked this post
Old December 21st, 2014, 07:13 AM   #1637
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Any new info on the Go Electrification plans?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2014, 10:30 PM   #1638
dimlys1994

Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension tunnel:

Tunnel vision by @416Shots, on Flickr

geometarkv, Limak11 liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2014, 04:05 AM   #1639
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Any new info on the Go Electrification plans?
Official website : http://www.gotransit.com/electrifica...n/default.aspx

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:05 AM   #1640
dimlys1994

From Toronto Star:

Quote:
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_hal...extension.html

Mayor John Tory wants three-stop Scarborough subway extension
January 5, 2014

After Deputy Mayor Glenn De Baeremaeker raises issue of adding fourth stop to Scarborough subway extension, Tory says plan should proceed as designed

Breaking with one of his deputies, Mayor John Tory says he would build the Scarborough subway as planned — with only three stops.

Just before the holidays, Deputy Mayor Glenn De Baeremaker — who Tory appointed to handle the east-end subway file — said he would prefer to see a four-stop line instead of the three-stop plan.

When Tory was asked Wednesday whether he supports advocating for a fourth stop, the mayor said he would like the massive project to proceed as planned.

“My position at the moment is to be pushing ahead with the project as it’s presently defined,” Tory said, speaking at a shoe drive event on Bloor St. West. “Obviously there’s a city council consisting of 44 people plus me and we have to decide on whether any alternations need to be made to that project, but at the moment my work plan has Scarborough subway number one, getting on with it. And I have no ability to say that I’m getting on with anything other than the project that’s on the books.”

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto