daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2015, 05:51 AM   #1701
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Is it time to bring back Interlining, but, do it right?

Riding the subway, I noticed that most of the train empties at the transfer with lines 1 and 2. Decades ago, they tried to run 2 lines on one set of tracks. As I understand it, it was an abysmal failure.

So, that got me thinking. What if they did it right?

Here is my vision of it:
1) dig 2 tunnel under line 1 from Bloor down to Union on both sides of the U.
2) on the U, the new tunnels would have stations on Queen and College Streets.
3) Line 2 would go through Bay, then turn onto the U, then turn back towards bay and continue.
4) Bay would have 2 levels(They already exist). The top level would be for east west traffic to their terminals, the lower level would be east or west, going to Union.

This would ease congestion on line 1 south of Bloor.
That would ease congestion but wouldn't be much (if any) cheaper than building a separate "downtown relief line" that's been talked about for years, but this plan would probably disrupt current operations on both existing lines more, and wouldn't have stations serving any new areas.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:01 AM   #1702
swimmer_spe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
That would ease congestion but wouldn't be much (if any) cheaper than building a separate "downtown relief line" that's been talked about for years, but this plan would probably disrupt current operations on both existing lines more, and wouldn't have stations serving any new areas.
I still do not understand how the DRL will actually relieve congestion on the downtown portion of line 1.

Yes, there will be new stations, and yes, there iwll be new connections to line 2, but, I do not see it actually relieving the line 1
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #1703
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

The main source of overcrowding on line 1 is that people coming into downtown on line 2 often transfer onto line one particularly at Yonge-Bloor station. So you have the trains already full on line 1 coming in from the north from places like North York, and then a huge number of additional people trying to transfer onto the downtown section of line 1 to go farther south. The relief line is intended to allow people from line 2 to get to the southern part of downtown like around Front, King or Queen without having to squeeze onto the already full line 1. The transfer points would be further east and west on line 2.

- MysticMcGoo
Old March 12th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #1704
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Nexis, dimlys1994, Urbanista1 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #1705
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

More on Union station renovation:

Staircase from University Avenue to the new North-West PATH tunnel by Metrolinx, on Flickr

New stairs between the York East Teamway and Front Street by Metrolinx, on Flickr

New North-West PATH tunnel by Metrolinx, on Flickr

A newly created staircase between the concourse and platform levels by Metrolinx, on Flickr

York Concourse taking shape by Metrolinx, on Flickr

GO Customer Service desk in the new York Concourse by Metrolinx, on Flickr

York East Teamway looking north towards Front Street by Metrolinx, on Flickr

Nexis liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #1706
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 88

Now that Scarborough RT is going to be absorbed into the Bloor-Danforth; I wonder which of these proposed lines is going to take the number 3.
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #1707
swimmer_spe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Now that Scarborough RT is going to be absorbed into the Bloor-Danforth; I wonder which of these proposed lines is going to take the number 3.
Maybe the DRL
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #1708
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

thats essentially the assumption. The DRL willl likely be completed 2-5 years after the Bloor Danforth Extension opens, which means Toronto will go a few years without a "line 3".

It also means that it is pretty safe to assume that the DRL will be blue on the subway map.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #1709
dimlys1994

February progress on South Blair Street underpass:

1. Rebar and formwork for the west abutment footing in the foreground, pier columns for the median lane of the future underpass at centre and a concrete pump in the background, pouring concrete into the formwork for the east abutment wall. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

2. Looking south at the shoring wall which supports the train tracks while we build the west abutment wall footing (on the right) and the median lane of the future underpass on the left. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

3. Stainless steel rebar for the median pier cap; using stainless steel will improve the longevity of the structure. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

4. Concrete pump used to pour concrete into the formwork for the future east abutment wall. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

5. Concrete pump used to pour concrete into the formwork for the future east abutment wall. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

6. The concrete pour into the east abutment wall continues as a VIA train speeds by in the background. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

7. Looking north at the east side of the formwork for the future east abutment wall. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

8. Looking west over the formwork for the east abutment wall and the stainless steel rebar for the median pier cap as a freight train passes by. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

9. Looking down into the formwork and rebar inside the future east abutment wall. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

10. The concrete pour into the east abutment wall continues as a freight train speeds by in the background. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

11. Looking west; a westbound GO train passes by the worksite; the heater on the left heats the formwork to prevent concrete from freezing. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

12. The concrete pour into the east abutment wall continues. by Metrolinx, on Flickr

Urbanista1, geometarkv, Nexis liked this post
Old March 21st, 2015, 08:49 AM   #1710
blacktrojan3921
Yes, that is my face~

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
thats essentially the assumption. The DRL willl likely be completed 2-5 years after the Bloor Danforth Extension opens, which means Toronto will go a few years without a "line 3".

It also means that it is pretty safe to assume that the DRL will be blue on the subway map.
Of course it may also be possible that it will go the way of Montreal, and make line 3 non-existent lol.
blacktrojan3921 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:01 PM   #1711
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Help!

Dear Torontonians,

I now think it beyond time that your TT commissioners revisit their Terms of Engagement; far too many videographs of TTC staff WICKEDLY behaving out of control are circulating around the Net, at least the past few years

FYI, Montrealers got their boot-strapped fare inspectors to relieve themselves of their thuggery-borne tactics, approximately now the past 3 years .. phew .. And this all occuring in the province that decade after decade was being documented (probably by Statistics Canada) as bearing the country's highest share of work-induced stress, and by a margin just beyond +10% at that.

For crying out loud, let Canadians drop their bossy attitudes and become more settled like Canadien/nes are at just letting the BS roll off you .. heck, none of us (nous) get paid enough to be barging yours and others' adrenalin too upward as it is, right? Country's most stressed-out city bus drivers remain recognizing that excessive bossiness would have unremitting vulnerabilty bearing down on themselves .. phew.

Good luck, bonne chance .. I'm appreciating the opportunity here at helping to relate a most distressing state of travelling affairs occurring around greater Toronto

Urbanista1 liked this post
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:35 PM   #1712
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

You're back!!

- MysticMcGoo
Old April 11th, 2015, 01:19 AM   #1713
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Hi

Turns out I'm wrong about Montreal fare inspections. Undercover agents have been filmed after having lunged at and pounced on their --uhm-- quarry. Plus many such filmed stings show subsequent arrests being performed unlawfully, because arriving 'cops' show up without their serialized badges.. tut tut.

Nouvellecosse liked this post
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #1714
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...-contract.html

Toronto subway extension contract
15 Apr 2015

CANADA: Toronto Transit Commission has awarded Bechtel Canada Co a contract worth ‘up to C$80m’ for project management of the Spadina subway extension to York, it announced on April 13. The contract runs until March 31 2018 and will see Bechtel staff join an integrated team with TTC.

The 8·6 km extension of Line 1 is due for completion by the end of 2017. It will run north from Downsview beyond the city’s boundary to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre in York. Six stations are under construction, including an interchange with GO Transit commuter rail services at Downsview Park

Old April 15th, 2015, 08:11 PM   #1715
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5287

can't believe how many construction delays we have seen here, originally supposed to have opened in 2014.

Warsaw Post-War Reconstruction to Present

dimlys1994 liked this post
Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #1716
dimlys1994

Two Eglinton Crosstown line TBMs, Dennis and Lea, are arrived at Allen Road shaft. Will be removed from the shaft this weekend:
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1518...ve-april-17-20

April 2015-Eglinton Crosstown by Metrolinx, on Flickr

geometarkv liked this post
Old April 16th, 2015, 11:49 PM   #1717
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Are they extending the Sheppard line?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 02:04 AM   #1718
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

^ No plans at this time.

- MysticMcGoo
Old April 20th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #1719
dimlys1994

From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/2015/0...il-investment/

Ontario reveals massive 10-year rail investment
20 APR, 2015

Ontario’s Premier, Kathleen Wynne, has presented a 10-year, $31.5 billion programme of investment in rail.

The Regional Express Rail scheme will invest in major transit infrastructure projects including electrification of the core GO rail network and a second track for the Barrie line.

The six-kilometre section of track, which will double-track the railway between York University GO Station and Rutherford GO Station, is already under construction and is due to be completed in 2017

Urbanista1 liked this post
Old April 20th, 2015, 11:46 PM   #1720
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6085

The RER scheme is such a great idea.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto