daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2016, 08:31 PM   #1921
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...ls-issued.html

Finch West LRT requests for proposals issued
22 Feb 2016

Finch West Light Rail Transit project map

CANADA: Infrastructure Ontario and Toronto regional transport agency Metrolinx have issued requests for proposals to the three consortia which have been shortlisted for the contract to design, build, finance and maintain the Finch West Light Rail Transit project.

Proposals are to be submitted later this year. IO envisages that preliminary construction works will begin in 2016, with major works to start following financial close in 2017. Completion is planned for 2021

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

mrsmartman liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2016, 09:11 PM   #1922
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

That article says Humber College station will be underground, but press release only says "below-grade" (while confirming that interchange with subway line at Finch West will be underground).

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...569527981.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:04 PM   #1923
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 681

its going to be below grade but open air.

dimlys1994, metro-world liked this post
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:36 AM   #1924
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
The high fare for this line is a joke. When will they get that finaly? The 'free ride day' wont change it. People will try and come never again.
"When will they get that?"............it looks like they finally have.

There is a board meeting tomorrow and it looks like a BIG decrease in fares is one the way very soon and it will be presented tomorrow and probably get rubber stamped by Metrolinx.

Premier Wynne has been taking a lot of heat over the UPX and has been putting on a lot of pressure to get ridership up and make it a line people can use. Fares drop below $20 from $27 at a minimum and the big decrease will come to Bloor West and Weston stations were the fares are predicted to plunge to be the same as GO Commuter rail to Union. For people in Weston that will mean a $10/one-way reduction in the price to get to Union but with all day 15 minute service.

I think this is just the beginning of the end for UPX as electrification comes along I think it will be morphed into Mayor Tory's Smart Tracks surface subway plan with TTC fares with an extra fare for those going all the way to Pearson.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:20 PM   #1925
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

I built a new map of Toronto with Metro, Go transit, Street cars and Frequent bus network.

The main difference with usual maps is that it is tilted to a 45° axis with Bloor-Yonge intersection at its center.
The main reason for that move is to fit station labels without overlapping and avoid ambiguities as to which station they refer.

I am aware that people in Toronto, just like in NYC, refer to the gridded street pattern and North/South - East/West directions for orientation. I am wondering if the tilting would make things to confusing or if it would be accepted on a schematic map.

Higher resolution image:
http://www.inat.fr/metro/toronto/

dimlys1994, patch, koolio, mrsmartman liked this post
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 03:25 PM   #1926
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18186

Toronto Star Excerpt
Feb 23, 2016
UPX to slash fare by more than half
More commuter-friendly fares — $9 with a Presto card, $12 without — will be announced Tuesday in a bid to build ridership for the little-used new service.

Fares on the underused Union Pearson Express (UPX) train will as of March 9 be cut by more than half — down to $9 from $19 with a Presto card, or to $12 from $27.50 without one.

Also, in a bid to fill empty seats, commuters hopping aboard the airport train at Bloor and Weston stations will pay the same as GO riders — $4.71 for a single stop, $5.02 for two stops.

“We’re lowering fares to attract riders,” said a Toronto Star source.

High ticket prices have drawn the ire of government critics and transit-hungry commuters frustrated at watching empty trains (which cost $456 million in provincial funding to build) speed up and down the Kitchener GO tracks both ways every 15 minutes.

After the latest figures showed ridership was falling six months after the train’s June launch, Premier Kathleen Wynne signalled that it was time for a rethink.

The train hit a monthly high of 79,010 riders in October but plunged to only 65,593 the following month.

Metrolinx repeatedly pleaded for patience, saying it would take at least three years to reach the 7,000 daily riders required for the service to break even. But in December only about 2,200 people a day were boarding UPX, which takes 25 minutes to travel between Union Station and Pearson.

More : http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016...than-half.html

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

yyzer, Innsertnamehere, dimlys1994 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:15 PM   #1927
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Not sure how they got the idea that such a high fare would be successful in the first place, but hey, at least they've learned their lesson...

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo
Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 02:49 AM   #1928
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5759

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidar fr View Post

I am aware that people in Toronto, just like in NYC, refer to the gridded street pattern and North/South - East/West directions for orientation. I am wondering if the tilting would make things to confusing or if it would be accepted on a schematic map.
The tilting makes Toronto look like Montreal.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 03:47 AM   #1929
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The next step is to arrange the buses to interchange with the intermediate stations so the commute from the West End into downtown can be drastically shortened : http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016...ne-keenan.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old February 24th, 2016, 04:13 AM   #1930
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidar fr View Post
I built a new map of Toronto with Metro, Go transit, Street cars and Frequent bus network.

The main difference with usual maps is that it is tilted to a 45° axis with Bloor-Yonge intersection at its center.
The main reason for that move is to fit station labels without overlapping and avoid ambiguities as to which station they refer.

I'm sorry but this is very disorienting. In addition to the tilt making things confusing, the lines aside from the subways are hard to pick out.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #1931
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The tilting makes Toronto look like Montreal.
True, I haven't noticed it, is that a bad thing?
To me it looked a lot like Barcelona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I'm sorry but this is very disorienting. In addition to the tilt making things confusing, the lines aside from the subways are hard to pick out.
I guess it can be disorienting. It's just much more handy for a compact schematic map than a horizontal layout.
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2016, 01:44 PM   #1932
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
The next step is to arrange the buses to interchange with the intermediate stations so the commute from the West End into downtown can be drastically shortened : http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016...ne-keenan.html
you have to remember the train is very limited capacity. Making it too easy to take will overload it.. it can only handle around 150 people on a train, and has 4 trains an hour.
Old February 26th, 2016, 04:47 AM   #1933
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
you have to remember the train is very limited capacity. Making it too easy to take will overload it.. it can only handle around 150 people on a train, and has 4 trains an hour.
Can easily up the capacity by adding a few more cars. Quite an awful waste of half a billion if the infrastructure cannot be effectively utilized.
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:30 AM   #1934
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

^stations aren't designed for more than 3 cars.. and arguably wouldn't fit more cars given their location.

The new fare structure is really probably what it should be. Reasonably affordable to the airport and actually cheaper than existing commuter rail at the intermediate stations to get to Union. I predict the new structure will effectively utilize the infrastructure.
Old February 26th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #1935
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
^stations aren't designed for more than 3 cars.. and arguably wouldn't fit more cars given their location.

The new fare structure is really probably what it should be. Reasonably affordable to the airport and actually cheaper than existing commuter rail at the intermediate stations to get to Union. I predict the new structure will effectively utilize the infrastructure.
They need to re-think the design of the entire infrastructure now that their strategy has changed from elitist business express shuttle to something more mass market. Once they test the waters with the new fares, it will be worth considering to up the trains to the max 3 cars and increasing the frequencies to handle bus feeders. That should be able to hold off extending the platforms at least for now.

The other aspect is integrating fares so tapping a Presto on the UPX will also allow free interchanges with the TTC.

The new fares do look right for an airport service - comparable to other major cities. But then, I just tried Warsaw's S train from the airport - 15 minutes into town and only about 1 euro.

The folks living along the line in the West End should be very happy now.
Old February 26th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #1936
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

I remember hearing that part of the cost lumped into the UPX was actually upgrades to the rail corridor that will benefit other rail services like the Kitchener line and Via rail. It doesn't make sense to have huge capacity serving the airport when the airport doesn't need it and it would require expensive investment to lengthen platforms. What we need is the other rail services to get improvements and that is coming, but the timelines are not related to the UPX.

- MysticMcGoo
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #1937
hkskyline
Hong Kong

So people living in the West End don't need a train heading to downtown but those living further along that same line outside the city boundaries need it for enhanced GO service?
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:13 PM   #1938
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

the upgrades you are discussing are coming in a few years with GO RER / smart track anyway.. that system will be far higher capacity.

The $400 million cost was just for the UPx. That project needed the $1.2 billion Georgetown south project to operate though, and Georgetown South is the one that benefited regular services as well. That project took the overgrown, underutilized Georgetown South corridor and upgraded it with multiple grade seperations, corridor widenings, and prepping it to have up to 8 tracks, and actually installing 4 (an upgrade from the previous 2)
Old February 26th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #1939
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Ideally the same routes serving Brampton/Bramlea and the Georgetown and Kitchener corridor would also serve stops like Weston, perhaps with both local and express services, and there would also be a separate downtown relief line subway that extends as far north as St. Clair and Eglinton or even Wilson. But neither of these would be part of the UPX.

Making the main downtown relief service a commuter rail line operating out of Union wouldn't be very practical as it would cause Union to become too congested, and it wouldn't allow for the frequency people expect from subways.

- MysticMcGoo
Old February 27th, 2016, 07:01 AM   #1940
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Aren't they rebuilding Union to handle larger capacity crowds? If not, then that means the UPX is damned to never be able to reach anywhere near its designed capacity, or even grow.

So all this talk about increasing commuter use is BS. What a waste of good taxpayers' dollars to build the thing!

Tags
canada, ontario, toronto