daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #301
Dblcut3

Likes (Received): 63

Narsaq

Dblcut3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2014, 04:44 AM   #302
Dblcut3

View from Narsaq Uranium Mine
Old October 18th, 2014, 12:30 PM   #303
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
In the 2000s construction of the 170 km road to Kangerlussuaq was discussed for several years without resolution.The road would have been the first of its kind in Greenland, connecting two settlements, and reducing the need for passenger exchange at Kangerlussuaq Airport, the Air Greenland hub.
I hope this pushes through...........especially since the airport at Nuuk can't handle larger sized aircraft (like a Boeing 777 or A340) and it's a hassle to transfer airplanes and stuff.

With that said, how long would the average drive time take between Nuuk<->Kangerlussuaq?

I hope they can also build service stations and rest stops along the route in case you need to re-fuel, go to the restroom, grab something to eat and drink and take a nap before you head back on the road
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #304
Dblcut3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
I hope this pushes through...........especially since the airport at Nuuk can't handle larger sized aircraft (like a Boeing 777 or A340) and it's a hassle to transfer airplanes and stuff.

With that said, how long would the average drive time take between Nuuk<->Kangerlussuaq?

I hope they can also build service stations and rest stops along the route in case you need to re-fuel, go to the restroom, grab something to eat and drink and take a nap before you head back on the road
Sadly the Sisimiut to Kangerlussuaq road will most likely never happen. And, a road from Kangerlussuaq to Nuuk would be around 5-6 hours I think. And the terrain of Greenland would make it near impossible. Another thing to remember is that not many would use a road from Sisimiut to Kangerlussuaq. Even though it has a decent sized population, it would only really be used by tourists and commercial purposes. The road would also not be more than a simple gravel road due to Greenland's tight budget. The only roads of this sort are in Southern Greenland. There is a 120km network of roads connecting settlements and farms.
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #305
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblcut3 View Post
Sadly the Sisimiut to Kangerlussuaq road will most likely never happen. And, a road from Kangerlussuaq to Nuuk would be around 5-6 hours I think. And the terrain of Greenland would make it near impossible. Another thing to remember is that not many would use a road from Sisimiut to Kangerlussuaq. Even though it has a decent sized population, it would only really be used by tourists and commercial purposes. The road would also not be more than a simple gravel road due to Greenland's tight budget. The only roads of this sort are in Southern Greenland. There is a 120km network of roads connecting settlements and farms.
Ah I understand.

I guess it can't be helped since the climate and geography makes construction relatively difficult over there. It's understandable.

I guess the only saving grace is Air Greenland (you just have to time your flight schedule to match the common itinerary: Copenhagen<->Kangerlussuaq<->Nuuk

Nevertheless, I have to admit that Greenland has come a long way. In the past, it used to be a barren land of snow and ice where only scientists and explorers would settle on a frozen land mass.

Now Greenland is a modern area in the 21st century. There are now stores, supermarkets..........and jesus christ even a movie theatre that shows Hollywood films (as recent as 'Lets Be Cops' as well as 'Annabelle').

This is the new Greenland hehe

P.S.
On a slightly off-topic note:

As I mentioned in the previous page, it would still be epic to see high performance sports cars in Greenland

Imagine for example seeing a Lamborghini Aventador in Greenland.

It's both ridicilous yet also bad-a$$ at the same time.................and I wonder how the local Inuit tribe will react to what modern civilization has to offer
Old October 26th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #306
Dblcut3

SRC_100 liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:12 AM   #307
Dblcut3

Sondre Igaliku

Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:18 PM   #308
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
I wonder how the local Inuit tribe will react to what modern civilization has to offer
The local Inuit will probably consider the owner of that sportscar to be insane to spend so much money on a vehicle which can only be used for drives around the block in Nuuk and will spent most of its time stored in a garage anyways.

The local Inuit prefer to use Arctic Cats, Skidoos or Polarises. If a closed vheicle is needed, I reckon they prefer to go with the likes of a Land Rover Defender or maybe a Toyota Landcruiser if they want something more "flashy".
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2014, 11:11 PM   #309
Dblcut3

Agreed...... But we all know there probably is that one idiot who bought a Lamborghini there
Old November 4th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #310
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

I'm sure that Inuit people are capable of driving. They aren't just some local form of wildlife.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #311
Dblcut3

http://youtu.be/pR0K6qulFz0

The video shows Sisimiut, the 2nd largest city (6000)
It starts in the area coming into town from the airport (which has since been developed), and then goes through town to the other edge of the city.
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:41 AM   #312
Dblcut3

Most of Greenland's terrain is too harsh for roads to be built and maintained, and most settlements are very far from eachother. But in southern Greenland, there is a giant network of gravel roads connecting small settlement and sheep farms. They are mainly used as hiking trails for tourists, but are also used as transportation for farmers. Boats are the main way to transport, and the roads arent in great condition, so cars on these roads are rare.

Here is a video: http://youtu.be/hS84iUNBRlU
http://youtu.be/_w7Jrc3dV0o

Also, there are several pics of these roads in this thread if interested.

Last edited by Dblcut3; November 4th, 2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #313
Dblcut3

Kangerussuaq is one of the few inland towns. It is the hub of Air Greenland making it Greenlands main International Airport, and it also has a large road network. One road in particular goes out to the ice shelf.

This video shows the town and the roads outside town. http://youtu.be/TJcTjsynsew

Blackraven liked this post
Old November 4th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #314
Dblcut3

Drive from the Nuuk Airport to Qinngorput - http://youtu.be/0PzRrqxi2Bc

(Note: This video is from 2007. A lot has been developed since.)
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #315
Dblcut3

Sisimiut (2nd Largest City)
Old November 21st, 2014, 04:51 AM   #316
Dblcut3

Driving in Nuuk (Credit to the blogger, Fillipina in Greenland)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDb_mo7DTk#t=397
Old November 30th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #317
Dblcut3

Road from Kulusuk to the cold war Radar Station:

Old November 30th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #318
Dblcut3

Road outside of Tasiilaq:

Old January 1st, 2015, 05:34 AM   #319
Dblcut3

Narsaq

Photo source:http://sermitsiaq.ag/kujalleq-tager-uran-debat-i-uge
Old January 2nd, 2015, 07:28 PM   #320
Blackraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblcut3 View Post
Driving in Nuuk (Credit to the blogger, Fillipina in Greenland)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKDb_mo7DTk#t=397
Oh wow, I never knew a fellow kababayan made it to the other side of the world.

Wow that's amazing to hear imho

Tags
ice, road