daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Old August 29th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #1
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 87

LONDON | Doon Street Tower | 140m | 43 fl | App

Lambeth Approve Doon Street Tower

Published on 2007-08-29

Coin Street Community Builders have secured the approval of their planned tower at Doon Street from Lambeth Council despite the opposition against the scheme from many quarters.

Designed by Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands the project is a 140 metre tall largely residential tower, the construction of which will fund the leisure, health and education facilities it stands above that Coin Street Community Builders have been trying to secure money to pay for from various governmental bodies for years without luck.

Opposition predictably has come from English Heritage but less predictably from the Commission for Architecture and Built Environment, both of whom are worried about the impact of the scheme from a private members room of the historic Somerset House on the north bank of the River Thames.

Others who have come out against it include Brian Perry, a former architect at Sir Denys Lasdun & Partners who designed the National Theatre claiming a tower next to it was "completely out of proportion."

Ironically for Brian Parry the National Theatre are in favour of the proposals as are a smattering of other cultural venues on the South Bank including the Tate Gallery.

Approved by the planning committee of Lambeth Borough Council last night the scheme now goes up before the Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone who will pass judgement on whether his office should approve it. It then faces its obligatory call-in period to get through first where the Secretary of State for Communities, Hazel Blears, can decide whether it should have a public inquiry held or not.

Whether the likes of English Heritage, still battered from the inquiry into 20 Fenchurch Street they were bounced into, will want a public inquiry or for that matter be able to pay for one, remains to be seen.

Even if they do, Hazel Blears is unlikely to call the Doon Street Tower in for a public inquiry, not least as Beetham's London plans, just a short distance down the road, also got through without further complications.

SOURCE: http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1079

Last edited by wjfox; August 29th, 2007 at 11:58 PM.
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 29th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #2
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Likes (Received): 4295

The previous, taller version (170m) -

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #3
Stefan88
New Nottingham!

Likes (Received): 46

The rooftop garden is a nice feature. When some more detailed renders and closeups of the cladding come out I'll decide if I like it or not. First impressions are good though.
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #4
rugbytommy

Likes (Received): 1

I think the cladding was much nicer on the first one.Simple and elegant, whereas the second version seems kind of cheap and cheerful (i.e crappy colours)
rugbytommy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #5
ferge
Like 'Berg'

Likes (Received): 226

I think perhaps the 'cheaper/dated' looking cladding will be better for the tower in relation to its neighbours, a new shiney structure would make it stick out even further and make the existing towers look worse, so one that blends in a little - yet still has a modern feel is more suited.
ferge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #6
MasonicStage™
(( Masonic.FM ))

hm...not bad but this taller version was definitely better.
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Buyckske Ruben

Some more news from diffirent sources.

Coin Street Community Builders has released the first images of its proposed 48-storey development on Upper Ground, just behind the National Theatre.

The development is master-planned by architects Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands and includes an indoor swimming and leisure centre, 355 flats, a new headquarters for the Rambert Dance Company, public open space and shopping.

The site is currently used for car parking, a family & children’s centre and CSCB’s offices. The latter are transferring to a new neighbourhood centre, due to be completed in 2007.

The indoor swimming pool and leisure centre provides the community with a much needed facility. The centre includes an 8 lane 25m swimming pool and learner pool, a 120 piece gymnasium, two aerobics studios, a 4 court multi-purpose sports hall, changing village, cafe and creche. It will be operated by Greenwich Leisure Limited, also a social enterprise. Capital costs and revenue subsidy will be provided from income generated by the sale of flats housed in a 'slender' 48-storey tower affording 'breathtaking' views of the Thames and the City.

An area of 1800 sq m is given over to public open space including a new public square at the site’s western end with links to Waterloo station and Waterloo Bridge.

CSCB says that the scheme is conceived as a terrace of different buildings each expressing its function and yet forming an overall composition on the street. The materials chosen for the new development continue the theme of the site’s neighbours (National Theatre, IBM, Hayward Gallery) with light coloured masonry, reconstituted stone and white render.

Each building has different details picked out in various self-coloured materials such as anodised aluminium for the window frames in the residential tower, yellow patinated copper cladding for the set backs to the courtyard housing, and Corten for the cladding to the swimming and leisure centre.

The height of the proposed development has been met with surprise and concern by some local residents given that CSCB's history is in low-rise, low-density housing.

Look sertainly to the PDF FILE with mutch more information!

Link to PDF file:
http://www.coinstreet.org/Doon_Stree...rds_Oct_05.pdf

SOURCE: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1786
SOURCE: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2164
SOURCE: http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=407403
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #8
OMH

Likes (Received): 12

it's ugly...
OMH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 04:35 AM   #9
wiki

Likes (Received): 12

great add to london's boom, stuning design.
wiki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:18 PM   #10
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Here are some new renderings (and enlarged versions of previous renderings), taken from this PDF -

http://www.coinstreet.org/DoonStreet...tionboards.pdf

As clearly shown, this project will be of great benefit to the local community, and will have a minimal impact on existing views.

Old August 31st, 2007, 02:20 PM   #11
wjfox
Wanna cook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki View Post
great add to london's boom, stuning design.
I wouldn't call the tower itself a "stunning" design. But the project does have some great features including a new swimming pool, dance studio, leisure centre, health and education facilities, gardens, new public space, better access to Waterloo, etc.
Old September 1st, 2007, 03:40 AM   #12
HeavenlySword
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

nice building
HeavenlySword no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM   #13
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1212

It looks really poor to me... Not impressed!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:57 AM   #14
wjfox
Wanna cook?

You'll have to give a better explanation, because I fail to see what's "really poor" about this scheme. Clearly, it will be of great benefit to the local community and the improvements to the surrounding streetscape will be excellent. The tower itself has been scaled down and its cladding has been changed to blend in better and reduce its impact from St James's Park. Not every skyscraper has to be flashy or iconic. That doesn't mean it's poor quality though.
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM   #15
Buyckske Ruben

That's true

You'll have to give a better explanation, because I fail to see what's "really poor" about this scheme. Clearly, it will be of great benefit to the local community and the improvements to the surrounding streetscape will be excellent. The tower itself has been scaled down and its cladding has been changed to blend in better and reduce its impact from St James's Park. Not every skyscraper has to be flashy or iconic. That doesn't mean it's poor quality though.

I agree with that, not every building has to be extremely ambitious. In my opinion that tower is a little bit to boxy. The horizontal lines (in white) in constrast with the vertical lines (near the windows) given not a slightly look in render for understanding. I think in reality the facade will be mutch more beautiful when its realized!
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:04 PM   #16
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post

I mean its really poor: Poor cladding. Poor shape. Looks poor on the skyline... Poor design all round in my opinion. Just because a building improves the immediate streetscape and provides facilities it doesn't mean a developer has carte blanche to chuck up any old unimaginative piece of toss.

It looks like it should be in Stratford, not standing prominently on the Southbank skyline.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM   #17
rocky

I agree with tubeman. Well it fits in the south bank style ..
rocky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:08 PM   #18
DAMN I m good
sould have been kazaaam !

Likes (Received): 7

I dont know why but I really dont like this one but it is still a skyscapper so...
DAMN I m good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM   #19
Ralphkke
Carpe Diem

And again a tower to be build in London, great!
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:21 AM   #20
Phobos

Likes (Received): 53

Boring tower...
http://europa.eu/
Phobos no está en línea   Reply With Quote