daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #401
traveler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

Metro do Porto (Portugal) awarded a $148 million follow-on contract to the Normetro consortium, which includes Bombardier and Vossloh-Kiepe, for 30 of Bombardier's Flexity Swift low-floor light rail vehicles for delivery in 2008 and 2009. The consortium was originally selected in 1998 to construct Metro's first four lines (37.28... (delivery in 2008)
traveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:51 PM   #402
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM   #403
traveler
BANNED

Nice pictures!
Old December 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM   #404
edolen1
Monkey business

Likes (Received): 6

I've driven on the metro system during my five days in Porto this July and I have to say I was very impressed! Wonderful design, wonderful trams, and very useful!

I'm just a bit sad they're gonna get Flexity Swift trams instead of the current ones, I prefer how the current ones look better..
edolen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #405
TeKnO_Lx

Likes (Received): 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolen1 View Post
I've driven on the metro system during my five days in Porto this July and I have to say I was very impressed! Wonderful design, wonderful trams, and very useful!

I'm just a bit sad they're gonna get Flexity Swift trams instead of the current ones, I prefer how the current ones look better..
the flexity swift are gonna operate only in the Povoa de Varzim-Estádio do Dragão Line B, and also to Trofa, Line C because its long distance.
the rest of lines are gonna mantain the actual vehicules

although there´s the ideia of also using them (flexity swift)to the future Gondomar line scheduled to open in 2011 (construction starts in 2008)
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #406
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

by Cainha

image hosted on flickr

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Old February 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #407
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

by patchouly

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old February 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #408
xote
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Beautiful light rail.
xote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:52 AM   #409
traveler
BANNED

Beautiful metro!
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #410
Portvscalem
a revolta da francesinha

Likes (Received): 89

a foto a passar pela vci tá bestial!
Portvscalem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 11:02 PM   #411
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portvscalem View Post
a foto a passar pela vci tá bestial!
I think so too.

Old March 6th, 2008, 08:04 PM   #412
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
lol, sorry! I just don't like how white it is!

Maybe painting the walls a different colour would stop them from looking so boring....
The underground stations are "plain" because they wanted to aleviate the diversity of the overground breathtaking diversity:

Photo by Pelha: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=464789
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #413
Xabi

Likes (Received): 5

Very, very, very nice tram!

I would like to know it.

De Snor GOIAN BEGO
Xabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #414
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

The system is really nice. My main complaint with it is that it seems to have way too many stops once you get outside the center, so getting to places takes quite a while and makes it a bit less useful.

Porto's metro system, though growing in terms of passengers, is still losing a lot of money and would pretty much not exist without EU assistance, no? In this case, I think adding advertisements to the stations would be good to bring in more money.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #415
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1113 View Post
The system is really nice. My main complaint with it is that it seems to have way too many stops once you get outside the center, so getting to places takes quite a while and makes it a bit less useful.

Porto's metro system, though growing in terms of passengers, is still losing a lot of money and would pretty much not exist without EU assistance, no? In this case, I think adding advertisements to the stations would be good to bring in more money.
That's not totally true.

1st of all it's not loosing any money. It's a profitable transport system and has been so since it was inaugurated. I don't know where you got that idea from?!

2nd - Money from the EU amounted to only 16% of total costs. Like any public construction, the EU ALSO pays for many others in other european countries. This metro system would have been constructed had it received european funding or not.

Old March 9th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #416
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
I think adding advertisements to the stations would be good to bring in more money.
Advertising in subway stations seems to be a thing of the past. While old subway systems still have ads, most new systems seem to have done away with it.

The amount of money ads earn is low compared with the neglected feel it brings into the stations. Everything that has ads on it is perceived as cheap, free, or even garbage by the public and easily becomes subject to vandalism. Neglect and vandalism would spoil the excellent station architecture and scare the best passengers away.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #417
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:

Theres some MOVING billboards over there ...

and EU only provides the "strictly necessary" funding ... as in any other EU country metro/public transport system ...

And as you ca nsee every station has "standard" small ADDS at each side ...
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #418
Cristovão471

Likes (Received): 12

This is such a sexy transport system, stations and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post

Really needs some advertisements or something, it looks so bland and boring with just white walls.
Eh, just no.
Cristovão471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM   #419
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

I just love this system and I wish I will be able to ride it soon! Congratulations to everyone from Porto: You've got one fine system there!

It's a showcase of the numerous advantages of a Stadtbahn, as we call it in german, over classic subway systems. I wish more cities would follow the example of Porto.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #420
Portvscalem
a revolta da francesinha

Likes (Received): 89

we have a proposal for an underground circular line with automatic vehicles... 9 stations i think...with "interfaces" with other underground stations.... something like line14 in paris...

They tell only that line will double de passengers every day...
Portvscalem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
porto, subway