daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 5th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #441
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
In the context that you said the statement, it was referring specifically to the Porto Metro.
the big problem here is that people make assumptions based on biased comments.

Most elevated city railwayss eventually became "metropolitan" systems ... or were dismantled (like some lines in urban NYC)

Most underground city railways were upgraded to "underground"/"subway" or were left abandoned

A large part of the railway networks are actualy "comuter" railways just using "standard" METRO equipment (considering as STANDARD the 20m long 3rd rail coach set)

these are the VERY OLD metro systems ... in wich the old horse drawn tram routes didn't survive long enough to even see electrification.

Most urban "tram" corridors that were kept were subsequently electrified ... but a lot of them were REMOVED to give room to new and shinny BUS networks .. .with all the associated downfalls of the systems.

Some were even demolished to give way to tiny "metropolitan"/"underground" networks ...

These are the NEW metro systems ... (by new we mean that they were built somewhere around XX century)

Then we have the so called "light rail" networks (or even some NEW ones) that were adapted (or built from scratch) wich have in common with "tram" networks only the usage of similar rail veichles.

The METRO networks of XXI century ???

Nowadays we even get "Tram-Train" veichles that can pass both road and rail safety standards ...

Speaking about the network tipes:

In grey we can see the METROPILITAN Porto center Area (actualy the grey part is the ENTIRE Porto city .. and as you can see there is 100% segregated metro in Porto city nowadays.

Only suburban style routes have roadside "tram" apearance ... others are clearly "comuter" style.

Looking back north at London ... Comparing the outside railways of "London Underground" with comuter networks around London we get the same results ... its THE SAME thing everywhere ... LU trains are "comuter" trains in the outer routes.

In fact they have very much in common with the average 3rd rail comuter train in UK.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #442
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

I solely base my arguments according to your posts and no one else, unless you are stating your own posts are bias. And as I said earlier, I'm only discussing with the issue of light rail and not metro. If you want to discuss that, you can do so in the "Differences Between Light Rail/Heavy Rail" page, which you have already done so.

No matter what, this system uses Light Rail technology either way. I don't think we need to discuss on that one. Metro do Porto is just the name of the trasnportation system.

Anyway are there any more stunning pics Paulo2004? =)
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #443
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I solely base my arguments according to your posts and no one else, unless you are stating your own posts are bias. And as I said earlier, I'm only discussing with the issue of light rail and not metro. If you want to discuss that, you can do so in the "Differences Between Light Rail/Heavy Rail" page, which you have already done so.

No matter what, this system uses Light Rail technology either way. I don't think we need to discuss on that one. Metro do Porto is just the name of the trasnportation system.

Anyway are there any more stunning pics Paulo2004? =)
The "Metro do Porto" system uses various different kinds of equipment and infraestructure.

NEW underground/subway tunnels
NEW street-dedicated tram section
OLD upgraded railway

And no one is negating the "light rail" denomination ... its just a light urban network ... and since in portuguese we call those METRO ... stick with waht you got.

they just run eurotrams thwre because the tram rails are not in service ... so instead they are going to use them in doubles for the next decades instead of even considering the purshase of dedicated bigger trains.

A double consist of Porto's "eurotram" in any way is LESS a METRO than a London TUBE ... welll ... at least the Porto'ones are bigger than London TUBE.
"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #444
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfamazonense View Post
nossa...Estou louco pra conhecer Portugal!! Esse metrô do Porto é mto lindo!! Pelas fotos o metrô parece mto limpo.
Indeed. and more lines and stations are to follow.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM   #445
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

The new extended yellow line in Gaia has been officially inaugurated.

Old June 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM   #446
Portvscalem
a revolta da francesinha

Likes (Received): 89

70 stations nowadays....
Portvscalem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM   #447
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo2004 View Post
No, not anymore. Yet, the Carmo Trolley still runs. Even though it hadn´t been operating for some years, it was introduced once again last year.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
These little cars are beautiful. I love the style. Is this running all throughout the network?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 03:33 AM   #448
sotavento

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
These little cars are beautiful. I love the style. Is this running all throughout the network?
Nope

In porto metropolitan area tram "Tram" (old tram network) and "Metro"(old metre gauge rail network) networks are fully segregated from each other.

The "metro do porto" is basicaly an upgrade to the existing suburban/comuter metre gauge tracks ... and one must say that the broad gauge (1668mm) comuter/suburban (still under CP management) make a huge "metro" network ... the core region (the central 20x20km ?) have frequencies of 2/5 minutes at peak times.
— Eça
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:11 AM   #449
Portvscalem
a revolta da francesinha

Likes (Received): 89

separated networks....
Portvscalem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #450
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
Nope

In porto metropolitan area tram "Tram" (old tram network) and "Metro"(old metre gauge rail network) networks are fully segregated from each other.

The "metro do porto" is basicaly an upgrade to the existing suburban/comuter metre gauge tracks ... and one must say that the broad gauge (1668mm) comuter/suburban (still under CP management) make a huge "metro" network ... the core region (the central 20x20km ?) have frequencies of 2/5 minutes at peak times.
true!

Old June 18th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #451
micro

Likes (Received): 106

I've been to Porto recently and was able to make a few photos of the phantastic metro (light rail) stations in Porto. A phantastic, beautiful city, btw!! Here's a selection of them:

Find more pics with descriptions here!
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #452
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Thanks Micro. Wonderful pics!

Old August 6th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #453
traveler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 299

nice pics!
traveler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #454
micro

Thanks
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #455
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

O thanks Mike, interesting photo.

I visited Porto and its metro last spring. Very good system, but above all very clean than other metros.

By the way, Mike do you remember where we meet up and who I am?
Mr.Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:43 PM   #456
micro

Not sure. Maybe here: ?
Old August 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #457
Mr.Underground
BANNED

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Not sure. Maybe here: ?
Yes, absolutely right.

We met up in Turin and in Milan too.

Cheers from Milan

Christian B.
Mr.Underground no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #458
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

by Daniel_Portugal

Old September 19th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #459
kebabman

Likes (Received): 0

I was in Porto at 16-17-18th of September.
I managed to capture a free rider on back of metro!
I thought he was showing of his mates first ,then metro has moved he had no intention of getting off,I pointed my camera,he posed for me as well.

I think he was little bit drunk.But at the time he had only bottle of Coke at his hand.

Public transport is quite cheap in Porto,I don't think his aim was saving money,I think his aim was adventure..Certainly a very dangerous one.

image hosted on flickr
kebabman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #460
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

cool! i wanna do that as well!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
porto, subway