daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises

Highrises Discussions of projects under construction between 100-199m/300-649ft tall.
» Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:57 AM   #21
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

WOW! An extraordinarily contemporary Dubai-ish building for Nashville, and the southeast in general. Would love to see it built though!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #22
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Yeah I'm not a fan

kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #23
po-boy

Likes (Received): 5

I think that is a fantastic design and that it would look great in Nashville. IMO, Nashville has a very diverse look with a wide range of styles and this would fit right in and enhance the city's skyline.

I hope they can find an anchor tenant and get it built.

po-boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 12:55 AM   #24
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
WOW! An extraordinarily contemporary Dubai-ish building for Nashville, and the southeast in general. Would love to see it built though!
...nothing Dubai-ish about this building. This building looks classy and amazing...I love it

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus

aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #25
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Love it!

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:02 AM   #26
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Looks great!

iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #27
MIRYDI

Likes (Received): 263

A really good article on this tower. It also mentions that even though the original design was for a 605-foot tower, that it could rise to 750 feet.

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=6796

Back in August, the developer petitioned the FAA to increase the height to 750ft. The FAA has approved enough air space to allow the proposed tower to reach 770 feet tall. This tower may make it to the skyscraper section afterall.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...-to-build.html

Quote:

The Federal Aviation Administration has granted additional air space for Tony Giarratana's proposed 505 CST tower downtown, Nashville Post reports.
Giarratana Development unveiled plans for a 605-foot mixed-use tower at 505 Church St., where Giarratana once planned his Signature Tower, in 2011.
According to the Post, the FAA has approved enough air space to allow the proposed tower to reach 770 feet tall. For comparison, downtown's tallest structure, the AT&T Building, reaches 617 feet.
This tower would be a game changer. Not only is it absolutely stunning, all the cutting edge technology designed into this tower is amazing. It would be one of the tallest (and nicest) LEED platinum rated commercial tower's in the country. To my knowledge, the only commercial high-rise building in the country to achieve this status is the new BofA tower in NYC. (pictured below)

If 505CST get's built, it would really put Nashville on the map as far as carbon-neutral architecture goes. It would set a higher standard for energy efficient design for the rest of the city, and around the rest of the country as well. While a handful of cities might have their 1000+ footers...They don't have any skyscrapers like this. It would be one of the most technologically advanced and beautiful towers in the country.

Here is a link to the architecture firm for the tower. They do some amazing work!
http://smithgill.com/

Unveiled> 505 Church Street
Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture design an eco-sensitive skyscraper in Nashville.

505 Church Street
Architect: Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
Client: Giarratana Nashville
Completion: TBD

Nashville developer Tony Giarratana doesn’t want just any building to take the place of a downtown parking lot his firm has owned for 20 years. On nearby sites he has built the city’s first high-rise apartments and condos, and its first “modern urban grocery store,” but 505 Church Street is a special case.

“This is the best site in the city,” said Giarratana, “so we feel that it needs to be something special.” The firm hired Chicago-based Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill to master plan and design a mixed-use tower that would be the city’s most energy efficient and also its tallest. Giarratana successfully petitioned the Federal Aviation Authority to grant the site extra airspace. Originally designed as a 605-foot tower, 505 Church could rise to 750 feet.

Currently, Giarritana is seeking an anchor tenant to take at least 500,000 square feet of the 1.2 million-plus-square-foot tower. The building will include a hotel and office space as well as eight levels of underground parking, according to preliminary designs. 505 Church Street’s southern profile is a thin, glassy rectangle, but from the east and west its profile is defined by fin-like curves. The unique enclosure features an internally ventilated cavity that stores solar heat during cold months and wicks it away when it is warm.

The design and development team is seeking a LEED Platinum rating for the building. It will employ such sustainable features as a double skin facade system, chilled water storage, solar panels, gray water recycling, and a variety of other integrated building systems in pursuit of the 2030 Challenge to achieve carbon-neutral architecture.

Last edited by MIRYDI; November 17th, 2013 at 06:54 AM.
MIRYDI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #28
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Not bad. I like the clever tactic on the South side of reflecting extra sunlight off the glass to the solar panels in the winter.

It's replacing a parking lot, not old architecture, so I don't really see anything to complain about. Could be taller though. Seems kinda fat from some angles.

Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 02:37 PM   #29
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Very nice!

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #30
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28191

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
yes, it's a bit outlandish. One would expect this kind of designs in Asia.

Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #31
MIRYDI

Well...Some good news and some bad news to report depending on how you look at it.

I'll start with the bad news first.

Some members on UP attended a Civic Design Center forum last night in which the developer of 505 CST (Tony Giarratana) and the architect for the project (Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill ) were in attendance. At this meeting two new designs were presented for the project. One is a residential tower, the other a mixed-use tower. The reason this is bad news (atleast to me anyways) is because the original design was absolutely stunning and unique compared to most other skyscrapers we typically see here in Nashville, and most other cities as well. Not to mention that it was aiming for a LEED platinum rating which would have made it the 2nd tallest office tower of it's kind in the country.

I only have pictures of one of the new renders at this time, but soon as I get ahold of the other one I'll share that as well. The one I'm posting below I believe is the residential tower, and not the mixed-use one.

This new design isn't bad or anything, but IMO it is a step backwards in terms of the design quality compared to the original office tower design. So basically that is the bad news.

The good news is that both of the new designs are taller than the original office tower proposal. The original 505 CST design was at 605ft. These two new designs are both 750ft+

This is what was said about the other new design (mixed-use tower) that I haven't been able to get a picture of yet, so you will have to just use your imagination for now. The way it was described it almost sounds kind of like the Trump tower in Chicago.
Quote:
The third mixed use building has a step up that is in three parts topping at the new height of 750 ft with retail all along 5th ave and also on church st with a large plaza to mirror the 5th/3rd building plaza.
It was said that all three of the designs were on the table, so that is a positve thing for sure as it still leaves the door open for the possibility of the original design to be built.

So with all that said...Here is one of the new designs presented.

Me personally, I would much rather have the original office tower design at 605' than the new residential tower design at 750', but that just me.

Hopefully the new mixed-use design is a stunner.

So on to some other good news that came from the meeting.

One of the people attending had asked a person from metro planning about the plans for the old convention center site, and this is how that conversatin went. I'll just quote that as well...
Quote:
I asked her about plans for the old convention center site, she eluded to there being a very tall building for that site. She picked up the 505 building model and placed it on the corner near commerce st. and 5th ave and said wouldn't that be nice. Everybody around just looked at one another waiting for her to confirm but instead she said the proposal should be coming soon.
So it looks like we might be getting another very tall tower in the near future out of the old convention center site.

Previous renderings for the old convention center site showed multiple mixed-use towers with a new house of blues museum.

For anyone curious, here are those renderings.

Manitopiaaa, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:35 AM   #32
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Though more conventional, the acrylic model could potentially be interesting, from what I can discern of the basic shape anyways. The currently unknown facade design could make or break it.

Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #33
MIRYDI

Here are the renders for the two new designs for 5th & Church I was talking about earlier. The first one is the mixed-use tower that I didn't have a picture of yet, and the second is the residential tower that I posted a picture of in the model.

Both look fantastic but the mixed-use tower is incredible! Getting a little excited now for sure... Both of these two new designs are 750 feet tall.

Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architect http://smithgill.com/

^ALTERNATIVE ONE: A mixed-use tower with corporate office space in the middle and residential at the top, with parking and street-level retail at the base. / Rendering by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architect

^ALTERNATIVE TWO: This is a proposed all-residential tower, with parking and street-level retail at the base. / Rendering by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architect

Old November 30th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #34
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10286

The other design was 'better' although this one will probably blend in better and isn't a ugly duckling by any strecth. 750ft for a medium city like Nashville is also terrific. Comparing the old to the 1st design btw, which I prefer.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #35
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Tony Giarratana: Having fun, taking risks, reshaping Nashville's skyline

Quote:
Nashville’s skyline has barely changed since 2008, the year Pinnacle Tower was completed. That’s too long for Tony Giarratana.

The developer who built downtown’s first high-rise apartment building – the Cumberland – and the first condominium tower – the Viridian – had announced plans to launch a half-dozen new projects in the downtown, SoBro and Midtown districts. Together, those projects have a value of at least $500 million.

Now, that estimate is already out of date.

Giarratana has added yet another development to the mix, a 17-floor apartment building at 1818 Church St., a few blocks west of downtown. Giarratana says he’s in no rush to start building again now that the economic downturn is over. It just looks that way. “While unable to secure financing during the downturn, we continued to prepare plans for our properties,” he says. “What seems like a rapid-fire series of apartment, office and hotel projects is actually the result of years of careful study. It is only now that the market and financing is again available and that we are able to move forward with our plans.”

In the high-stakes business of commercial real estate development, Giarratana is no stranger to disappointment. He was the public face of May Town, the proposed $4 billion development in rural Bells Bend city planners rejected in 2009. A downtown project, Signature Tower, which at 70 stories would have been the tallest building in the United States outside of New York and Chicago, was set to launch in 2007 but was grounded by the changing economy.

Today, Giarratana sees an opportunity to develop another project at Signature’s former Church Street site. That building, named 505 CST, will have 700,000 square feet of office space, a 200-room hotel and a conference center. For many developers, launching one of those projects would be enough. They are impressed by Giarratana’s confidence. “It’s passion. It’s persistence,” says Tom Frye, Nashville office managing director for CBRE, a commercial real estate firm.

“Tony is the real deal,” he adds.

[...]

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #36
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10286

Taking risks my ass. Taking risks would have gotten Nashville the first design, not this boring johnny-come-lately

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 12:47 AM   #37
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

From the 19th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
Tony Giarratana has sold a portion of this site to MDHA for a large parking garage and will be pursuing the all-residential proposal for the remainder of the site. There will be enough spaces in the garage to accommodate the residential tenants.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...kyscraper.html

iamtheSTIG, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:41 AM   #38
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Wow!

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 01:56 AM   #39
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Looks good!

Though I did like the first design.

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 04:59 PM   #40
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22548

awesome. You can tell it's the work of AS+GG. It's great to see American cities building tall.

Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, 505 cst, giaratana, nashville, paramount