daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture

Photography, Heritage and Architecture Participate in the FPC, the weekly Filipino Photo Contest

Old October 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #2161
overtureph

Likes (Received): 0

This is good news if it does pushes through. I think it would be a boost to tourism and would be a great project for heritage conservation and rehabilitation. Let's just hope na sana hinde madami maging ma-epal dito o pumapel at gamitin ang pera para kung saan naka-laan talaga.

If we get the funding and the project gets stalled or there be problems with the project implementation, it would be truly a great opportunity loss and a great source of embarrasment for us.
overtureph no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #2162
overtureph

This is good news if it does pushes through. I think it would be a boost to tourism and would be a great project for heritage conservation and rehabilitation. Let's just hope na sana hinde madami maging ma-epal dito o pumapel at gamitin ang pera para kung saan naka-laan talaga.

If we get the funding and the project gets stalled or there be problems with the project implementation, it would be truly a great opportunity loss and a great source of embarrasment for us.
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2163
icarusrising

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
By Belinda Olivares-Cunanan
Inquirer
Last updated 01:06am (Mla time) 10/09/2007

House Speaker Jose de Venecia tendered a luncheon Monday for the Spanish parliamentary delegation from the Committee on Foreign Affairs for Asia and the Philippines, and it was a most meaningful gathering for him personally and for the country as well, now that President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo is scheduled to make a state visit to Madrid early this December.

The head of the delegation, Juan Moscoso, revealed that the Spanish Parliament recently passed a law authorizing the conversion into equity of debts incurred from Spain by Third World countries. It is the first parliament in Europe to allow such conversion, he said, and itís up to the Spanish government to find projects to which this law can apply. Hopefully other governments in Europe and Asia will follow Spainís example and not just relieve Third World countries of debt burden, but use the repayments for development in those countries.

Speaker De Venecia recalled that four years ago he had discussed this idea of a debt-for-equity swap with Spainís King Juan Carlos during a call on the monarch, and subsequently with members of the Spanish Parliament, and now it has become a reality. He said the king especially liked the idea of financing the reconstruction of Intramuros.

The visiting parliamentarians noted that a number of similar old Hispanic cities in its former colonies had been reconstructed by Spain. De Venecia then suggested to them and to Eugenio Gonzalez, president of Fundacion Intramuros, that the negotiations on the project to reconstruct the Walled City be finished in the next two months. The agreement could then be signed when President Arroyo visits Madrid.

I learned from the visiting parliamentarians that Spain has about $50 billion worth of development projects in Latin America alone, but its exposure in Asia remains minuscule by comparison. I queried Ambassador Luis Arias on this, and he replied that Spain has about 15 projects going on in the Philippines, of which six are in Mindanao. These involve delivery of basic services such as clean potable water. It would be a nice gesture if Spain approved the Intramuros project.
Gusto ko rin ito. Sayang, gusto ko sanang makitang maitayong muli ang Palacio del Gobernador following the original plans. Kaso me nakatayo na doong 8-story monstrosity.

I've done a walking tour on the walls of Intramuros at night with a Korean friend. Luckily, we didn't get mugged. It was a December evening so the breeze coming from Manila Bay was a bit chilly. He said, it feels like he's in Europe and he was awed by the size of the fortification. They have fortified palaces in Korea but nothing as big as the Ciudad Murada of Manila. From our vantage point at Fort Santiago, another foreign visitor commented that the view of the cathedral is probably the best in Manila.
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #2164
icarusrising

Likes (Received): 819

Quote:
Inquirer

House Speaker Jose de Venecia tendered a luncheon Monday for the Spanish parliamentary delegation from the Committee on Foreign Affairs for Asia and the Philippines, and it was a most meaningful gathering for him personally and for the country as well, now that President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo is scheduled to make a state visit to Madrid early this December.

The head of the delegation, Juan Moscoso, revealed that the Spanish Parliament recently passed a law authorizing the conversion into equity of debts incurred from Spain by Third World countries. It is the first parliament in Europe to allow such conversion, he said, and itís up to the Spanish government to find projects to which this law can apply. Hopefully other governments in Europe and Asia will follow Spainís example and not just relieve Third World countries of debt burden, but use the repayments for development in those countries.

Speaker De Venecia recalled that four years ago he had discussed this idea of a debt-for-equity swap with Spainís King Juan Carlos during a call on the monarch, and subsequently with members of the Spanish Parliament, and now it has become a reality. He said the king especially liked the idea of financing the reconstruction of Intramuros.

The visiting parliamentarians noted that a number of similar old Hispanic cities in its former colonies had been reconstructed by Spain. De Venecia then suggested to them and to Eugenio Gonzalez, president of Fundacion Intramuros, that the negotiations on the project to reconstruct the Walled City be finished in the next two months. The agreement could then be signed when President Arroyo visits Madrid.

I learned from the visiting parliamentarians that Spain has about $50 billion worth of development projects in Latin America alone, but its exposure in Asia remains minuscule by comparison. I queried Ambassador Luis Arias on this, and he replied that Spain has about 15 projects going on in the Philippines, of which six are in Mindanao. These involve delivery of basic services such as clean potable water. It would be a nice gesture if Spain approved the Intramuros project.
Gusto ko rin ito. Sayang, gusto ko sanang makitang maitayong muli ang Palacio del Gobernador following the original plans. Kaso me nakatayo na doong 8-story monstrosity.

I've done a walking tour on the walls of Intramuros at night with a Korean friend. Luckily, we didn't get mugged. It was a December evening so the breeze coming from Manila Bay was a bit chilly. He said, it feels like he's in Europe and he was awed by the size of the fortification. They have fortified palaces in Korea but nothing as big as the Ciudad Murada of Manila. From our vantage point at Fort Santiago, another foreign visitor commented that the view of the cathedral is probably the best in Manila.
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #2165
Rence

Quote:
Inquirer

I hope that the money will be used properly by the respective government agencies
Rence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #2166
Rence

Quote:
Inquirer

I hope that the money will be used properly by the respective government agencies
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #2167
Magdiwang
BANNED

Photos of Intramuros circa 1899

Magdiwang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:14 AM   #2168
Magdiwang
BANNED

Photos of Intramuros circa 1899

Magdiwang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #2169
Mercato
ElArcŠngel Peter King

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Inquirer

Baka magbigti si Barbers etal kun marinig 'to (sana nga...)
Mercato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #2170
Mercato
ElArcŠngel Peter King

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Inquirer

Baka magbigti si Barbers etal kun marinig 'to (sana nga...)
Mercato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #2171
kyle@1008
Wake me when it's over

Likes (Received): 1

sana please....sana magbigti siya...
kyle@1008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #2172
kyle@1008
Wake me when it's over

Likes (Received): 1

sana please....sana magbigti siya...
kyle@1008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #2173
Rence

Dapat properly restored ang Intramuros at hindi kung ano-anong structures and tinatayo dyan.

BTW , They are rebuilding or destroying part of Pamantasan ng Lunsod Ng Maynila.

They are building new structures in Pamantasan ng Lunsod ng Maynila..

i hope those new buildings looked hispanic !
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #2174
Rence

Dapat properly restored ang Intramuros at hindi kung ano-anong structures and tinatayo dyan.

BTW , They are rebuilding or destroying part of Pamantasan ng Lunsod Ng Maynila.

They are building new structures in Pamantasan ng Lunsod ng Maynila..

i hope those new buildings looked hispanic !
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #2175
overtureph

These furnitures/artifacts are either being exhibited or was transferred by the Intramuros Administration to the lobby of the Palacio del Gobernador ((I'm assuming these are owned by the IA since they are located in this building.

The 3 pictures that follows (below) shows a cabinet or a comode which seems to be damaged either by improper handling or someone viewing it and trying to open it since you can practicaly touch the exhibit. There are no signs that says "Please do not touch" , at least thats what I recall. There are no boundaries or demarcation or something like a velvet rope to separate the items from the viewers. You can actually just walk up to it. Nobody seems also to be guarding these items. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the items exhibited would be stolen or as we have in our country, mysteriously disappear.

A view of Palacio del Gobernador from across Plaza Roma.

Some of the items on display came from churches. As we can see, we would still have a lot of beautiful interior of old churches if such items/artifacts where not dispersed or was cared for properly by the parish priest or the clergy.

Photos by overtureph.
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #2176
overtureph

These furnitures/artifacts are either being exhibited or was transferred by the Intramuros Administration to the lobby of the Palacio del Gobernador ((I'm assuming these are owned by the IA since they are located in this building.

The 3 pictures that follows (below) shows a cabinet or a comode which seems to be damaged either by improper handling or someone viewing it and trying to open it since you can practicaly touch the exhibit. There are no signs that says "Please do not touch" , at least thats what I recall. There are no boundaries or demarcation or something like a velvet rope to separate the items from the viewers. You can actually just walk up to it. Nobody seems also to be guarding these items. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the items exhibited would be stolen or as we have in our country, mysteriously disappear.

A view of Palacio del Gobernador from across Plaza Roma.

Some of the items on display came from churches. As we can see, we would still have a lot of beautiful interior of old churches if such items/artifacts where not dispersed or was cared for properly by the parish priest or the clergy.

Photos by overtureph.

Last edited by overtureph; October 17th, 2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #2177
Rence

Some of the chairs are dilapidated
Old October 18th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #2178
Rence

Some of the chairs are dilapidated
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #2179
blue.demon

it would be "fun" to know that the very reason why the IA was finally created in 1979 was because of the newly rebuilt Palacio del Gobernador itself, the building which it occupies right now.. discussions of creating a permanent body to oversee the developments inside intramuros were held by government officials, but it was the overwhelming concern raised about the structure's blatant violation of an existing law that didn't allow structures built inside the walled city to be taller than the manila cathedral that finally made the intramuros administration a reality.. it's just ironic to see it occupying the very building it set out to bring down in beginning..
"There are two of Intramuros. One is a spot on the map and exists in space, an area defined by the moss-grown ruins of what was once a walled medieval city. The other exists in time, a romanticized, fabled, long-ago capital full of stone churches and stone houses 'built like sumptuous palaces'along precisely laid cobblestone streets; an Iberian citadel, its banners fluttering in the sun-streaked Manila sky, peerless in memory."

-Luning B. Ira, Streets of Manila, 1977

"MAYNILA SA MATA NG MANILENYO" @ sixyearquest.blogspot.com
blue.demon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #2180
blue.demon

it would be "fun" to know that the very reason why the IA was finally created in 1979 was because of the newly rebuilt Palacio del Gobernador itself, the building which it occupies right now.. discussions of creating a permanent body to oversee the developments inside intramuros were held by government officials, but it was the overwhelming concern raised about the structure's blatant violation of an existing law that didn't allow structures built inside the walled city to be taller than the manila cathedral that finally made the intramuros administration a reality.. it's just ironic to see it occupying the very building it set out to bring down in beginning..
"There are two of Intramuros. One is a spot on the map and exists in space, an area defined by the moss-grown ruins of what was once a walled medieval city. The other exists in time, a romanticized, fabled, long-ago capital full of stone churches and stone houses 'built like sumptuous palaces'along precisely laid cobblestone streets; an Iberian citadel, its banners fluttering in the sun-streaked Manila sky, peerless in memory."

-Luning B. Ira, Streets of Manila, 1977

"MAYNILA SA MATA NG MANILENYO" @ sixyearquest.blogspot.com
blue.demon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
manila, philippines