daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:26 PM   #21
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9137

Same totso-thing with E-80 in Bulgaria near Orizovo, when traveling toward Turkey, you have to turn off A1 to get to A3 (now in construction)... That's why there are also mess with motorway numbering in Bulgaria, because in earlier plans from the 1970-ies they planned to build A1 on the route of E-80... After years A1 was continued eastbound to Burgas, but in few documents the A3 to Turkey remained noted as A1, and also the A1 to Burgas with different numbers... Good that motorway in BG have names (Trakiya, Maritsa, Hemus, Lyulin and of course STRUMAAAA) and it's not that important to know the number
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM   #22
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
TOTSO = Turn Off To Stay On.
There are numerous examples of this in Switzerland, for instance if you want to follow A1 around Genève, you have to turn off the through route in the north of the city because that one becomes A1a and ends pretty quickly thereafter.
A1 / A1a @ Genève

A1 @ Lausanne

A1 @ Limmattaler Kreuz
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #23
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Here's a question from fellow Bulgarian forumer, that may be interesting to others as well. Can somebody explain why when building intersections of this type they create a curve for the right direction (red color) instead of using the old straight lane (blue)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OracleBG View Post
Не мога да се ориентирам за какво е червената лента, след като я има синята:

Някакви идеи?
I've seen this at many places, for example also here.
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #24
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Assuming that going right there is taking the old route.
I guess it's discouraging the old route and encouraging the new route by constructing the interchange in such way that the new route is the main direction. Thought behind this is that through traffic doesn't have to take an exit. If you keep the road like it used to be (the straight line), traffic will go straight ahead instead of taking an exit. Which increases traffic because it's the esiest way. (especially when the road is new and the new route isn't on satnav's)

At least, that's what I'm thinking
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #25
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Yes, I thought it is about the priority of the roads... But in the second example the left road isn't a belt-way for the right one, but quite a different road going in different direction. So I thought maybe there would be some other reasons for spending thousands of euro for road construction instead of just proper signage of exits
Old March 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #26
arriaca
BANNED

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
Here's a question from fellow Bulgarian forumer, that may be interesting to others as well. Can somebody explain why when building intersections of this type they create a curve for the right direction (red color) instead of using the old straight lane (blue)?

I understand you. I also prefer the blue leg was straight.

I see that is a work by the FCC, so it can be design by a Spanish partner. Here in Spain, I see sections like this I have wondered the same thing and I think it is purely due to cant to be maintained throughout the section of the road. And in the section obliges blue trace three curves that are not necessary for the sense of cant match the layout of the road, and instead of being straight is a stretch curves.
arriaca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #27
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post

This is not an uncommon construction. It emphasises the fact that the fast main road turns, and the exit structure encourages the drivers to slow down.

In addition, the typical highway standards do not allow left exits in the right-hand traffic countries. The "red" option implements a clear right exit, while the "blue" option delivers an impression to have a two-lane left exit.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #28
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Is this technology used in your countries and if yes, for what purposes (temporary repairs or...)?

It was introduced last few years in Sofia and maybe other towns in Bulgaria, municipalities intend to use it for permanent repairs!?!
Old April 6th, 2012, 01:01 AM   #29
Peines
Peter

Likes (Received): 99

All the roads of the rural-local-network around my home has that SHIT since ever.

I still remember the day when the water company put new asphalt on the private road of the water channel. The asphalt was covered with that SHIT. On my motorbike at 60~70kph and no idea about that shit was in there.

When I entered in a curve i was about to fall. luckily my bike is a dual type (like bmw gs series), so my tyres are prepared were prepared for that kind of asphalt and i could manage the situation and finally avoid fall and a really big painfull problem.

Here is really common to see that kind of fixes in our rural roads here, in Alicante and Elche, unfortunately. So common that we have some road with more than 5 km with patches, for more than 10 years.
Peines no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #30
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

yes, but here it's not on rural roads, but on main boulevards in the capital of Bulgaria... And I don't think the "patches" made by these machines will last long. And by no way can be compared to patches made the old way - with cutting (milling) around the pothole, cleaning, asphalting and rolled over by heavy machinery.