daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #21
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17485

autobahns is a german word, so could add the word autovia( means the same in portuguese and spanish)

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #22
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Klauw View Post
Where? Cars are a merely new inventions so I don't think you have to expect the first limited-access road (Autobahn-style) in Asia, Africa or South America in the beginning of the 20th century. According to Wikipedia the first limited-access road was constructed in Italy.
The first German motorway is older than the first Italian. The first German motorway opened in 1921 in Berlin. It was the AVUS and thats a part of A115 or E51. The first Italian motorway opened in 1924. So the first motorway in the world is German.
Uppsala no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #23
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

It's not that easy. AVUS was a race track, not general purpose public road. It was later grandfathered into the A115 as a Reichsautobahn. The first real German Autobahn dates back to 1935. A555 is often cited but it had no central reservation.

Italy did not have any motorway before the mid 1950's. All Autostrade built before the war were single lane. The only thing in common with current Autostrade is that they were tolled and mostly grade-separated.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #24
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

According to Wikipedia there are two different thoughts about it: whot thinks the first motorway is german, it's cause AVUS in Berlin opened in 1921, like you said. Who thinks the first motorway is italian, it's cause the first italian motorway was projected for to facilitate the vehicular traffic, while the AVUS was born with two targets: for the traffic and for to test cars as the name means (Automobil Verkehrs und Übungs-Straße). And besides this, cause in different part of the world streets with same characteristics are called with the name of italian derivation "autostrada"
Satyricon84 no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #25
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Italy did not have any motorway before the mid 1950's. All Autostrade built before the war were single lane. The only thing in common with current Autostrade is that they were tolled and mostly grade-separated.
A1 Milan - Parma opened on 07-12-58 was our first real motorway.
italystf no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:43 PM   #26
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Unless it was the Harlem River Speedway or Long Island Motor Parkway. :-P

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea  
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #27
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

As far as I know the Long Island Motor Parkway was the first grade-separated motor vehicle road in the world. It opened in 1908 and was closed in 1938 and was a two-lane road. The first New York parkway was the Bronx River Parkway in the early 1920's, but most parkways from the 1920's and 1930's were not up to contemporary motorway / freeway standards. Many allowed left turns or had no median.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora  
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #28
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Last time this question came up, I found that the Harlem River Speedway opened in the 1890s, as a place for people to race horses and carriages. It opened to motor vehicles in 1913. (If memory serves; can't find the information now.)

I think it was limited-access by virtue of its location, and it was incorporated into the Harlem River Drive - which is indisputably a freeway - under Robert Moses.

Here are some pictures:

http://www.coffeedrome.com/bobspeed.html

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #29
ssusa

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
And I always thought the vast majority of native English speakers lives in India... Silly me!
Very true. Vast majority of native English speakers do live in India not in USA.

@ Penn's Wood....We all know how much Wikipedia is dependable.
ssusa no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #30
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssusa View Post
Very true. Vast majority of native English speakers do live in India not in USA.

Indians speak English as second language, although most of them know it well. In USA English it's the official language.
italystf no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #31
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssusa View Post

Neither of those sentences is one a native speaker of English would have produced....

Here's another source:

http://www.censusindia.gov.in/Census...Statement1.htm
That's the Indian census. Which reports a number of native speakers of English in India that is smaller than the population of, say, Minneapolis.

Or, if you prefer to inflate the figure to include everyone who "uses" English, whether they learned it in infancy or as a second language in school:
http://www.languageinindia.com/may20....html#chapter5
Which is about one-ninth the population of the United States or half the population of the United Kingdom.

But what does it matter? "Highway" and "road" are not synonymous in the United States or Canada. Period. Whatever people in Bulgaria may think.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; November 11th, 2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #32
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Indians speak English as second language, although most of them know it well. In USA English it's the official language.
The official language of the Indian Union is Hindi with English as an additional language for official work
Bad_Hafen no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #33
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It's not that easy. AVUS was a race track, not general purpose public road. It was later grandfathered into the A115 as a Reichsautobahn. The first real German Autobahn dates back to 1935. A555 is often cited but it had no central reservation.

Yes I know that! The first motorways in Italy were not what we call motorways. Maybe expressways, but some of them were not built in a standard that we can put expressway-signs on them now if they had been in that standard now.

In Germany AVUS was a race track. It was also built for testing cars. But that road was working like a motorway too. It was only for motor vehicles and it was not built like a normal race track. It was from already from the begin built like a dual carriageway in what we think is motorway standard. It had a median from the begin and it was separated from other roads and traffic. So the AVUS was the first road with motorway standard. But in 1921 no one knew what a motorway was and it was no plans to build a motorway network.

I dont know anything about the US. But here in Europe the motorway networks was from the begin a sort of combination from AVUS and the old Italian single lane Autostradas. It was the idea of the Italian roads, but they were built with a standard from AVUS.

One interesting thing with the AVUS is that it was planned already in 1907. They started to build AVUS in 1913 but the WW1 stopped this project. So AVUS was delated and opened in 1921 and was financed by Hugo Stinnes.

So maybe Hugo Stinnes is the father of the motorways here in Europe?

Everytime when I go to Berlin I'm driving at the A115 (AVUS). Just because I'm a motorway fan and I think that motorway is very special.
Uppsala no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:50 AM   #34
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

The oldest motorway may be German, but the oldest wheel was found 20 km from my house. :P

Last edited by Verso; November 11th, 2011 at 04:59 AM.
Verso no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #35
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
United States have no official language.
dubart no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #36
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Yes I know that! The first motorways in Italy were not what we call motorways. Maybe expressways, but some of them were not built in a standard that we can put expressway-signs on them now if they had been in that standard now.
Well, Italian first "autostrade" were just what the name suggests: "strade" (roads) built expressly for automobiles, not some converted old coach roads. It's the definition of autostrade that changed in the meantime.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora  
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #37
mmmartin

Likes (Received): 1

The name of the thread is just OK.

"Autobahns" are symbol of the roads/motorways:
- they have (in parts) no speed limit
- they are technically synonim for quality of motorways
- Germans were the first to build them in a way and purpose we know them today.

It's the same as we usually don't translate "Vorsprung durch technik"!
Old November 11th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #38
dubart
HAL9001

Likes (Received): 158

Or "Das Auto"
dubart no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #39
friedrichstrasse
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2540

Here some images of the pre-war italian highways.

Milano-Laghi, the first one:

Milano-Torino:

The first junction
friedrichstrasse no está en línea  
Old November 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #40
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmartin View Post
The name of the thread is just OK.

"Autobahns" are symbol of the roads/motorways:
- they have (in parts) no speed limit
- they are technically synonim for quality of motorways
- Germans were the first to build them in a way and purpose we know them today.

It's the same as we usually don't translate "Vorsprung durch technik"!
We could at least correct the plural: It's Autobahnen.

[exits hastily, dodging brickbats]

[sticks head back in, cautiously]But, um, if - just if - we're changing the name of the forum*, "highways and Autobahnen" doesn't in fact cover all roads. Of course, we'd also need to change most of the country thread titles.

*Personally, I don't care.[scrams]

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Closed Thread