daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Engineering question: How tall is still profitable?

I have a small question about tall buildings. I've heared that it is more economical to make more highrises than to make a few supertalls. Now the question I have is what is the limit of current technology where a building is still profitable on it's own?

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #2
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17798

I believe elevator technology is limited to a certain height, hence as a building gets taller, more space needs to be allocated to house multiple sets of elevators and skylobbies. Forget what was the exact figure but I doubt the likes of Burj Khalifa would be profitable.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Thanks for the info
Old November 11th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #4
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5329

for me it's more a matter of prices of real estate to see if tall is profitable or not. In those oil states, that build supertalls in the middle of a dessert just for the sake of building a supertall, it's certainly not.
Old November 12th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #5
Wunderknabe

Likes (Received): 194

Well I guess thats heavily related to the design of the building but also to how it is been used.

Of course a cheaper building which is taller has a higher rate of returns to costs. But then also a expensive high quality building that costs more generates a higher income because you can demand higher prices for buyers/rent payers.

If supertalls wouldn't be profitable, they wouldn't been build. At least not in that high numbers we encounter today.
Wunderknabe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #6
alyers

Likes (Received): 0

more space needs to be allocated to house multiple sets of elevators and skylobbies.
alyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #7
runfie

More and more cities, more and more high-rise building, sound and light pollution is getting worse, living in this city really is a frustration and irritability
runfie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Adelabarbara
BANNED

Thanks for sharing.Pls provide more related information.I will concern about it.

Old September 20th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #9
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

never forget the prestige value, well if you build the tallest you also get this hype with you, tourism and interest, you can charge higher prices for a restaurant or observation deck higher up, if its the tallest in a world wide known city, you also most likely can get a pretty expensive hotel in the top floors.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #10
horlick97

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I believe elevator technology is limited to a certain height, hence as a building gets taller, more space needs to be allocated to house multiple sets of elevators and skylobbies. Forget what was the exact figure but I doubt the likes of Burj Khalifa would be profitable.
Agree only that. Also, more complex and costly provisisions for fire fighting. As the floor plate gets smaller on higher and higher floors, the building becomes less and less efficient.

I have not done nor seen a comprehensive study, but my gut feel or personal preference is 70 storeys or 300m is about the maximum is enough.

You may say I am rather conservative. ha ha!
horlick97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 05:36 AM   #11
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2538

Rent is a huge variable. So are land, structure type, barriers to entry (limits to competition from other building), and a million other things. Certain heights trigger new codes. My city also has a bonus fee system that makes height expensive.

Rule #1 is that there's rarely one answer. Long after the first rendering hits the newspaper, they might have only a general sense of the design, and know even less about what it will cost to build and what rents might be.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #12
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

I remember reading somewhere that anything above 350m starts to lose profitability very fast, for office towers at least. there are obviously exceptions, but that seems to be the general rule right now. that number is always climbing mind you. in the 1970's it was probably around 180m, and up until 2005-2007 or so it was 280ish.

you also see the tallest possible to build slowly rising. right now it is at around 650m (anything taller than that just uses a giant spire, I.E. burj Khalifa, Kingdom Tower). in the 1930's it was 300m, (empire state, Chrysler) and in the 1970's it was 430ish meters. (WTC, Sears Tower)
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #13
Ocean Railroader
The Railroad Anomily

Likes (Received): 5

It really depends on type of landscape a city or urban area is that would make building up worth while. Such as if you had a city or other urban that was built in a sweet spot that was very favorable to human settlement with good resources. It would naturally gravitate large numbers of people towards it which would make dense area possible. But at the same time while you have a sweet spot for people to live in a area you would need natural barriers that would prevent people from sprawling outward in low rise houses or low rise buildings such as a swamp or a bay or some type of desert. Or like in the case of the 1926 Movie Metropolis there is a shortage of farm land and the remaining farm land is highly prized and the hoards of people care kept in the city to prevent the urban sprawl from killing the food supply.
Ocean Railroader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #14
hoyasooner

It depends on a lot. A 1000' skyscraper can be profitable in NYC, probably not in Boise, ID. There's too much available land in Boise. There aren't enough people who can afford to pay the rent you'd need to justify the cost.
hoyasooner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #15
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I remember reading somewhere that anything above 350m starts to lose profitability very fast, for office towers at least. there are obviously exceptions, but that seems to be the general rule right now. that number is always climbing mind you. in the 1970's it was probably around 180m, and up until 2005-2007 or so it was 280ish.

you also see the tallest possible to build slowly rising. right now it is at around 650m (anything taller than that just uses a giant spire, I.E. burj Khalifa, Kingdom Tower). in the 1930's it was 300m, (empire state, Chrysler) and in the 1970's it was 430ish meters. (WTC, Sears Tower)
I'd guess its noteble that alot of these modern supertalls are housing hotels in the upper levels that likely value window space rather than floor space more highly compaired to offices.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #16
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2538

Hotels don't value window space particularly. In fact, hotels gain less value from their views that housing does. People rent hotel rooms online, with brand reputation playing a big role. They buy condos in person.

But hotels need narrow buildings. A room might only be 25' from the hall, vs. 40' or more for an office. So hotels can fit the narrow peaks of tall towers. Even then, many aspects of hotels work better closer to the ground. If your kitchen and laundry are downstairs near the loading dock, then the rooms are easier there too. If a hotel is way up high, it should probably have a restaurant up there too, because only then will room service be workable.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM   #17
james159

hi
i like tall building because through this you can get space in sky which is unusable with out tall buildings, one the other hand we can save agriculture land and accommodate more people on small piece of land ..
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #18
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
But hotels need narrow buildings. A room might only be 25' from the hall, vs. 40' or more for an office. So hotels can fit the narrow peaks of tall towers.
Maybe the building can be design to be mix use, with most of the windows for hotels or resisdential, and office, etc in the middle.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #19
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerZavatar View Post
never forget the prestige value, well if you build the tallest you also get this hype with you, tourism and interest, you can charge higher prices for a restaurant or observation deck higher up, if its the tallest in a world wide known city, you also most likely can get a pretty expensive hotel in the top floors.
Depends on what you can see, At The Top is only 450m, you see a lot, and you are not going to see much more if you move higher, and even if you do, you need a binoculars, will you pay double or triple to move a bit up, where you don't gain anything, except take you longer to get up/down.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #20
hgftfttjersey
BANNED

NIKE New York Giants Youth Jersey

Baltimore Ravens Jerseys
Arizona Cardinals JerseysAtlanta Falcons JerseysBaltimore Ravens JerseysBuffalo Bills JerseysCarolina Panthers JerseysChicago Bears JerseysCincinnati Bengals JerseysCleveland Browns hufhfguh401 JerseysDallas Cowboys JerseysDenver Cheap Cam Newton Jersey Broncos JerseysDetroit Lions JerseysGreen Bay Packers JerseysHouston Texans JerseysIndianapolis Colts JerseysJacksonville Jaguars JerseysKansas City Chiefs JerseysMiami Dolphins JerseysMinnesota Vikings JerseysNew England Patriots JerseysNew Orleans Saints JerseysNew York Giants JerseysNew York Jets JerseysOakland Raiders JerseysPhiladelphia Eagles JerseysPittsburgh Steelers Haloti Ngata Jersey JerseysSan Diego Chargers JerseysSan Francisco 49ers JerseysSeattle Seahawks JerseysSt Louis Rams JerseysTampa Bay Buccaneers JerseysTennessee Titans JerseysWashington Redskins Jerseys
Joe Flacco Baltimore Ravens Jerseys Learn the fresh grown variety of MLB clothing that also includes Baseball cycling tops and as a result sweatshirts as well as brand-new Mlb Nfl jerseys NFL shop . We specializes with offering Major league baseball tops including patio furniture from change MLB nfl jerseys and Baseball throwback tops that you Official Patriots Pro Shop just both of the household together NIKE New York Giants Youth Jersey road nhl jerseys for few sufferers Mlb squads. Joe Flacco Baltimore Ravens Jerseys Your own Major league baseball on the internet services one of Major league baseball tops and get pretty much any identity and then amount.
hgftfttjersey no está en línea   Reply With Quote