daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #221
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan84 View Post
This is pure speculation on my part, but I would guess it is an elevator shaft for accessibility to the bridge and park.
Really? Have people become so lazy that they can't even walk down a few steps?
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #222
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoka View Post
Really? Have people become so lazy that they can't even walk down a few steps?
I don't think it's about lazy. It's about people assisted by a wheel chair, or walker etc. But again, this is only my guess... Not grounded in fact.
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #223
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan84 View Post
This is pure speculation on my part, but I would guess it is an elevator shaft for accessibility to the bridge and park.
This was also my first thought, but I think the area below the new formwork has been poured without any openings, but I could be wrong.

There's another huge opening a bit further south which would be suited for stairs/elevators, though.

MusicMan84 liked this post
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #224
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The church design looks decent, like a modernized Greek orthodox church. Let's hope it doesn't look too disjointed from the rest of the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoka View Post

What I'm very interested in is that other glass building next to 5WTC - that did not appear on any site plan before! However, if I'm not wrong, that site is currently occupied by a historic looking brown/orange brick building (can be seen in the pics by oli83 in the beginning of this page), I hope they don't have any real plans to tear that one down
I think that was put there to just cover up the horrible eyesore of the patchy brick wall next to the 9/11 fire station. Renders usually do that to make the focal design look better. However, development of new towers will take place around that area.

As for 5WTC, I think that is just a placeholder, although I would like it if it looked like that, but with several thick steel vertical columns to give reference to the Deutsche Bank Building that stood there before. Some nice pictures could be taken with the church with a sleek simple modern building behind it.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #225
PMadFlyer

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Yes, I know. But I mean, is it really necessary to rebuild it?
Yes, and it doesn't matter what religion it is, or even that it's a building for worship. It has to do with insurance.
Old October 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #226
DesignerVoodoo

Likes (Received): 91

I took this from a friends apartment last week.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oli83, Nonoka, spectre000, Otie, Swiddle and 3 others liked this post
DesignerVoodoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #227
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Great photo. There's been a lot of progress.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #228
MusicMan84
Annoyed by most of you.

Likes (Received): 149

Thank you! Great vantage point. Visit this friend more often.
Old October 11th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #229
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

Definitely. Do I spy epoxy-coated rebar outlining the church walls?

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #230
oli83

from http://www.lowermanhattan.info/news/...cts_43568.aspx

Quote:
Port Authority crews also are completing mechanical and other systems in the WTC's Vehicular Security Center (VSC), where work will continue throughout 2014. With final designs for the new Liberty Park complete, the agency is installing infrastructure that precedes actual park construction in 2014. The Port also is coordinating foundation preparations for the new Santiago Calatrava-designed St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church, which will rise on the east side of the VSC site, between Liberty and Cedar Street.
Old October 19th, 2013, 05:24 AM   #231
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Yes, I know. But I mean, is it really necessary to rebuild it?
Yes, it most certainly is.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:03 PM   #232
oli83

Church Near Trade Center to Echo Landmarks of East

St. Nicholas Church, Destroyed on 9/11, to Rebuild With Byzantine Design

Quote:
That a Spanish architect should design a modern Byzantine church in Lower Manhattan for the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, based on buildings in Turkey that were used for Islamic worship, goes to the heart of the message the archdiocese says it hopes to send with the $20 million project. The new St. Nicholas is to open by early 2016.
Read more.. on NYTimes.com

TowerVerre:), The seventh shape liked this post
Old November 4th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #233
oli83

The new renderings, which appeared a month ago on Calatrava's website (see StavrosG's post from October 5) have been updated with versions which don't show the sphere..

See here http://www.calatrava.com/#/Selected%...2?mode=english

Probably he wanted to avoid the impression that anything is decided on this issue..
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #234
StavrosG

Likes (Received): 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
The new renderings, which appeared a month ago on Calatrava's website (see StavrosG's post from October 5) have been updated with versions which don't show the sphere..

See here http://www.calatrava.com/#/Selected%...2?mode=english

Probably he wanted to avoid the impression that anything is decided on this issue..
Do you still have the new rendering Oli? The page is unfortunately off...
StavrosG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #235
oli83

Quote:
Originally Posted by StavrosG View Post
No, unfortunately not. But the renderings were essentially the same as linked on the previous page, just without the sphere in it, the sphere has been simply removed so that it looked similar to the rendering from the NY Times website a few posts above.

Strange that he already removed the project from his website, before construction has even started, maybe some parts are revised and he doesn't want to show non-final renderings?!
Old November 13th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #236
oli83

View from above from http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/1...nter_tower.php

Swiddle, StavrosG liked this post
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #237
oli83

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Swiddle, TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #238
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Elevated Park at Trade Center Site Comes Into View

A rendering of the proposed plan for Liberty Park, immediately south of the National September 11 Memorial, to be built on the rooftop of the entrance to the vehicle security center. Some features may change during construction.

Quote:
The World Trade Center’s best-kept secret has finally come to light.
It is an elevated park, slightly larger than an acre and 25 feet above Liberty Street, that will command a panoramic view of the National September 11 Memorial when it opens to the public, probably in 2015.

Liberty Park, as it is called, is meant to offer a pleasant and accessible east-west crossing between the financial district and Battery Park City; to create a landscaped forecourt for the new St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church; to provide a gathering space for as many as 750 people at a time; to allow visitors to contemplate the whole memorial in a single sweeping glance from treetop level; and to serve as the roof of the trade center’s vehicle security center.

For the moment, the park is an empty concrete expanse. The pedestrian bridge over West Street that will connect it to Battery Park City — the bridge that survived the Sept. 11 attack — currently falls several yards short of its future landing spot.

While the general outlines of the park have been known for years, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has been sparing in its public discussion of the project, in part because not every detail of its design and construction has been settled.

But the Port Authority’s hand was forced somewhat last month when sumptuous images of St. Nicholas Church and Liberty Park appeared on the website of the architect Santiago Calatrava, who is designing the church. The park was rendered in sufficient detail that it was possible for the first time to understand its basic design.

The renderings, at least those shown in The TriBeCa Citizen, included what authority officials said were outdated features. For instance, “Sphere,” commissioned for the original World Trade Center, was shown just outside the church entrance. The authority’s executive director, Patrick J. Foye, said in 2012 that he favored placing “Sphere” on the memorial plaza, but there has been no movement since then to relocate it.

However, the renderings were accurate enough that the authority opened up a bit last week and elaborated on the park. The principal designer is Joseph E. Brown, a landscape architect who is the chief innovation officer at Aecom, an architectural, engineering and construction consultancy with headquarters in Los Angeles.

Mr. Brown faced many challenges. This could not be a street-level park, since it was to sit atop a bulkhead with doors tall enough to accommodate large trucks and tourist buses. The park had to complement the memorial without overwhelming it or imitating it.

Its most unusual feature will be a “living wall” along the Liberty Street facade — essentially a vertical landscape, roughly 300 feet long and more than 20 feet high, made of periwinkle, Japanese spurge, winter creeper, sedge and Baltic ivy. (Another example of this kind of planting are the “vertical gardens” of the David Rubenstein Atrium at Lincoln Center.)

Walkways from the pedestrian bridge will meander among islands of plantings to stairways at three corners of the bulkhead. There will also be a fairly straight inclined path down to Greenwich Street, for greater accessibility.

To take advantage of the views, Mr. Brown designed a continuous overlook along much of Liberty Street, as well as a gently curving balcony near the base of the church.

A monumental staircase paralleling Greenwich Street, directly behind the church, is intended to be as inviting as the steps of the Metropolitan Museum on Fifth Avenue — perhaps even more so, since there will be wood benches on the seating tiers. There will also be a small amphitheaterlike elevated space at the opposite end of the park.

About 40 trees and shrubs will be planted: honey locust, stellar pink dogwood, apple serviceberry and two varieties of witch hazel: Arnold Promise and Pallida. Quite deliberately, there will not be swamp white oaks, the trees used on the memorial plaza. Plantings have been chosen to present a variety of colors through the seasons.

Some details, including features shown in renderings released by the Port Authority, may change after construction bid proposals are received. Contractors may propose changes in plant types, for instance. Authority officials expect that progress will be visible on the park’s contours by early next year. They estimated that the park will cost $50 million.

Catherine McVay Hughes, the chairwoman of Community Board 1 in Lower Manhattan, was among the neighborhood leaders who were given a tour of the park space recently.

“They have taken what could have been a barren rooftop and turned it into much needed public space for the community,” Ms. Hughes said.

“Because it’s elevated, it’s out of the flow of the street,” she added. “There’ll be a sense of calm.”

And the emotionally wrought yet relentlessly busy trade center site needs all the calm it can claim.

oli83, MusicMan84, Swiddle liked this post
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #239
oli83

Quote:
Originally Posted by StavrosG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
But the Port Authority’s hand was forced somewhat last month when sumptuous images of St. Nicholas Church and Liberty Park appeared on the website of the architect Santiago Calatrava, who is designing the church.
So the pictures were deliberately removed from Calatrava's website..

The rendering looks great, will be a cool spot to take a look at the WTC site. I thought about visiting NY next summer, but maybe I should wait until 2015 when Liberty Park is finished as well.
Old November 21st, 2013, 07:13 AM   #240
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

It would be neat when and if 5 WTC is built, that the building have a direct connection to Liberty Park on that one side of the building. They could have retail and restaurant tenants fill out the ground level and "Park Level" spaces of the building that way too. It would help integrate Liberty Park into the complex even more than it already will be.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote