daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #261
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22553

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshalca
I thinf, the sphere could be perfect inside in the oculus, world trade center transportation hub just in the center.
the transportation hub isn't a museum or memorial. No need to place a crushed piece of artwork there.

SidewalkSuper liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #262
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlePa2013 View Post
the sphere ??? not included in this plan
For some unknown reason it has become a complete political football! Even though it's one of the most recognizable symbols of the destruction of 9/11 nobody wants to commit a place to put it. Many people feel the ideal place would be either in the museum or near its original location. Others feel it should go in this park. Unfortunately nobody with any authority wants to make a decision where to put it.

AlePa2013 liked this post

Last edited by Msradell; March 18th, 2014 at 11:32 PM.
Msradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:43 PM   #263
marshalca

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
the transportation hub isn't a museum or memorial. No need to place a crushed piece of artwork there.
I don´t think so, today, all stations are full of art, the Calatrava building itself is a piece of art, and the place closest to the original is impossible. you don´t forget that the sphere is mainly art. this is only my opinion.

oli83 liked this post
marshalca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #264
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
For some unknown reason it has become a complete political football! Even though it's one of the most recognizable symbols of the destruction of 9/11 nobody wants to commit a place to put it. Many people feel the ideal place would be easier in the museum or the park and or near its original location. Others feel it should go in this park. Unfortunately nobody with any authority wants to make a decision where to put it.
this whole site become a political football
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 06:08 AM   #265
StrongIsland

Likes (Received): 282

It needs to to go somewhere on site. I remember seeing sometime back a spot near the east entrance plaza of 1WTC was an option the PA explored too.

marshalca liked this post
StrongIsland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #266
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Work on the future Liberty Park seems to be starting, big wooden formworks are placed..

Now that spring is arriving, hopefully they go full steam ahead

larger pic

Makaveli96, StavrosG liked this post
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:30 PM   #267
StavrosG

Likes (Received): 378

...activity on the roof of the VSC - future Liberty Park - today...

oli83, AlePa2013 liked this post
StavrosG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 12:38 AM   #268
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

pics showing the eastern side which is not visible from the earthcam angle..
from lofter1 on WiredNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
Something is starting to rise above the VSC, and a set of stairs in poured concrete rises up on the east end, leading up to where the church will be ...

Swiddle liked this post
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 04:45 PM   #269
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

I wonder when trees will come
Old April 21st, 2014, 08:46 PM   #270
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

So the St Nicholas church is rising again?

AlePa2013 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #271
MassiveDynamyx

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
They are planning on building a "cultural arts center" next to 1WTC it would be a good fit in there if they don't place it in the park above the VSC.

Last edited by MassiveDynamyx; April 26th, 2014 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Correction to VSC from VHC
MassiveDynamyx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #272
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
So the St Nicholas church is rising again?
What you see rising on lofter's photo is an exhaust vent.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #273
davidagnino

Likes (Received): 50

I'm realizing that it appears that neither of the buildings has a parking of it's own, and I think this VSC is probably not going to be a public parking. So my question is where does the PA plan to get the necessary parking lots for all of the thousands of people working here and the tourists that come to the plaza, mall, museum, observatory, etc? Or does the PA think that, as this land is a property of a subway company, then everybody will use the subway to get here? If the answer to this second question is yes, I think this is a HUGE design problem. Specially since most of the buildings are targeted to attract more public than workers. (Mall, performing arts center, observatory, museum..)
davidagnino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #274
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidagnino View Post
I'm realizing that it appears that neither of the buildings has a parking of it's own, and I think this VSC is probably not going to be a public parking. So my question is where does the PA plan to get the necessary parking lots for all of the thousands of people working here and the tourists that come to the plaza, mall, museum, observatory, etc? Or does the PA think that, as this land is a property of a subway company, then everybody will use the subway to get here? If the answer to this second question is yes, I think this is a HUGE design problem. Specially since most of the buildings are targeted to attract more public than workers. (Mall, performing arts center, observatory, museum..)
If it's a HUGE design problem here like you suggest then it's a HUGE problem in all of New York City! With the exception of parking for residential buildings and in some cases hotels there is very limited parking in all of the core sections of New York City. People do take the subways to work and to visit various tourist attractions. Of course taxis are also available but they are very expensive for most trips. You have to live in or at least visit New York extensively to realize how people get around in the city. Automobiles are just not part of the daily way of life here like they are in most places in America.
Old May 9th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #275
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
New York is a great city because of it's heavy reliance on public transit rather than private vehicles. It isn't a huge design "problem" but rather the fundamental success of Manhattan and much of the 5 boroughs. That isn't to say everyone should prefer such a lifestyle. But it is a requirement in order to have an extremely dense city like NYC.

Attempting to shoehorn more cars into lower Manhattan would make everyone's lives miserable, including the tourists. It is just flat out impossible to accommodate as many cars as would be needed. Even with additional parking, it would fill up and the vast majority of people would still have to use mass transit. The net effect would be even more insanely congested streets and yet no significant impact on the number of people needing to take mass transit.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:09 PM   #276
davidagnino

Likes (Received): 50

Thanks for the explination. If the use of public transport is regular even with the upper class people that would visit the WTC, then I guess the lack of public parking is no big problem and I was wrong.

I live in Caracas, Venezuela and, altought the subway trains are full of people to the point that one cannot move until the train stops, and people hang out of the buses, the quantity of cars is a mayor problem of the city, to the point that even one or two lanes of every street get lost due to paralel parking, due to insufficient parking. and this is with only 6 million people..

I've been to Detroit and Houston, and yeah in those cities the parking areas are gigantic. Kind of what I was expecting to see here.
davidagnino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #277
Msradell
Always looking up

Quote:
I've been to Detroit and Houston, and yeah in those cities the parking areas are gigantic. Kind of what I was expecting to see here.
Those 2 cities are great examples of cities dependent on the automobile as are most large US cities. New York, Philadelphia enter a lesser extent Baltimore and Boston are about the only US cities where mass transit is the norm for most people that work and live in the heart of the city.
Old May 10th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #278
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Thanks for the explination. If the use of public transport is regular even with the upper class people that would visit the WTC, then I guess the lack of public parking is no big problem and I was wrong.

I live in Caracas, Venezuela and, altought the subway trains are full of people to the point that one cannot move until the train stops, and people hang out of the buses, the quantity of cars is a mayor problem of the city, to the point that even one or two lanes of every street get lost due to paralel parking, due to insufficient parking. and this is with only 6 million people..

Detroit and Houston are on the opposite end of the urban spectrum from NYC. Detroit is a city of terminal decline, where empty land is often more valuable than land with buildings on it because of the cost of demolition. Parking lots are a natural use there. Houston is a city of infinite sprawl, with a very weak urban fabric that would be better described as a series of interconnected suburban office parks than as a city. Parking lots are essential there.

In Manhattan, open-air parking lots were rare even before the latest boom and have become all but unheard of today. Tower lots are rapidly being replaced by residential or commercial development as well. Underground lots remain common but still provide very little parking. And, yes, public transit is widely used even by those with salaries approaching $1 million/year. Only around 20% of Manhattan residents own a car, and the rate is below 50% for the whole city. Many people commute from the suburbs by train or bus as well.

For reference, by the end of the year there will be only *one* gas station below 14th St in Manhattan. (There are three right now, two will close to be replaced by new development before the end of the year, and the last one won't last much longer as development plans are already out.)
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 01:24 AM   #279
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher

Likes (Received): 4623

The Memorial Earthcam now updates every 2 minutes!

rákos, Davidsam52 liked this post
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #280
rákos

Likes (Received): 61

But the others are updated more than 2 hours! What's wrong with earthcam??
rákos no está en línea   Reply With Quote