daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 9th, 2016, 08:37 PM   #501
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: BALBOA ISLAND/PASADENA
Posts: 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
That bridge really needed a renovation.
Extended for sure;are you sure they renovate the outside?
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2016, 01:30 PM   #502
oli83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 1,684
Likes (Received): 999

Looks like extension only to me as well, though they might renovate the whole thing afterwards, doesn't fit together with the newly built park..

By WTCProgress on Facebook..

Quote:
Wood deck installation continues in the amphitheater area at Liberty Park
__________________

BLACK DAHLIA, Swiddle liked this post
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:34 PM   #503
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,659
Likes (Received): 16990

Taken Yesterday - 3/22/16


Lower Manhattan Construction....
by Corey Best, on Flickr


Lower Manhattan Construction....
by Corey Best, on Flickr
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section

Swiddle liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 07:54 PM   #504
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Extended for sure;are you sure they renovate the outside?
I hope so, it would look really bad for one part to look shiny and new, while the rest is dirty and dented.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 08:54 PM   #505
webeagle12
Registered User
 
webeagle12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Albany
Posts: 1,737
Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I hope so, it would look really bad for one part to look shiny and new, while the rest is dirty and dented.
If they want to preserve, it needs to stay as it is. Its just need to be cleaned. This ain't your modern architecture /facepalm.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #506
Enigmatism415
Registered User
 
Enigmatism415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
If they want to preserve, it needs to stay as it is. Its just need to be cleaned. This ain't your modern architecture /facepalm.
...and bump out those dents.

The connection point looks pretty much the same as that of the north bridge. Liberty Park will be the closest we can get to the original WTC plaza experience, as they have identical elevations.

__________________

Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by Enigmatism415; March 25th, 2016 at 01:19 AM.
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #507
WillBuild
Registered User
 
WillBuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 404
Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
They're finally putting the new windows in on Liberty Bridge!
Why is that thing not demolished?

West street is hardly a highway anymore and it's practically on top of a crosswalk.

Last edited by WillBuild; March 28th, 2016 at 01:21 AM.
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 03:06 AM   #508
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,659
Likes (Received): 16990

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
Why is that thing not demolished?

West street is hardly a highway anymore and it's practically on top of a crosswalk.
Its still a highway , even with traffic lights...people drive in excess of 45mph....so having grade separated ways of crossing is needed...
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #509
Enigmatism415
Registered User
 
Enigmatism415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
Why is that thing not demolished?
Because there's no reason to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
West street is hardly a highway anymore
There are four lanes of thru traffic in each direction, not including turn lanes, just as there were on 9/10/01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
and it's practically on top of a crosswalk.
As it was on 9/10/01.

In fact, there is more of a need for this bridge now than there was on 9/10/01, when it was a 'bridge to nowhere' ending in a stub and temporary egress point. It will now actually serve to connect the WFC to the WTC directly, for the first time ever. It was a stub before 9/11 because the Church refused to be demolished and relocated (I bet they regret that now).
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:27 PM   #510
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 645
Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
...
It was a stub before 9/11 because the Church refused to be demolished and relocated (I bet they regret that now).
No they don't. Look at that ridiculously expensive new building the taxpayers are building for them now.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 11:46 PM   #511
Enigmatism415
Registered User
 
Enigmatism415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
No they don't. Look at that ridiculously expensive new building the taxpayers are building for them now.
Touché... I hope it was worth it for them. I guess the original building was an old piece of crap, but they did lose a lot of their relics.
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #512
WillBuild
Registered User
 
WillBuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 404
Likes (Received): 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
There are four lanes of thru traffic in each direction, not including turn lanes
[..] It will now actually serve to connect the WFC to the WTC directly, for the first time ever.
During reconstruction for the longest time that stretch between WTC and WFC was only 3x3. If it is 4x4 now, then that is a recent change. The rest of West street north of Battery Park City is 3x3 and does fine without overpasses.

I understand that there is more pedestrian traffic flow along that stretch of West street than then farther north, of course. For walking to 1, 2 and 3 WTC, the new pedestrian tunnel is much better aligned. But I guess I see the point of the thing.

It's just such an eyesore and a reminder of the car first traffic management of the past, while everything else along West street is revised to embed the street more into the fabric of the city (bike lanes, pedestrian islands, ..).
__________________

turtlebay liked this post
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 03:40 AM   #513
Enigmatism415
Registered User
 
Enigmatism415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
During reconstruction for the longest time that stretch between WTC and WFC was only 3x3. If it is 4x4 now, then that is a recent change. The rest of West street north of Battery Park City is 3x3 and does fine without overpasses.
If you look at the Earthcam images, you will clearly see that it is 4x4 alongside the WFC and WTC for their entire lengths. Each direction of traffic also has two turn lanes in addition to the thru lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
I understand that there is more pedestrian traffic flow along that stretch of West street than then farther north, of course. For walking to 1, 2 and 3 WTC, the new pedestrian tunnel is much better aligned. But I guess I see the point of the thing.
Indeed, the West Concourse tunnel will best serve buildings 1, 2, 3, and even 4. Aside from Liberty Park, of course, Liberty Bridge is primarily intended to connect to the church and the future 5WTC. As it was before 9/11, the northern connection will be more useful than the southern connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillBuild View Post
It's just such an eyesore and a reminder of the car first traffic management of the past, while everything else along West street is revised to embed the street more into the fabric of the city (bike lanes, pedestrian islands, ..).
I wouldn't object to a re-cladding of Liberty Bridge to better fit with the modern look of the new complex(es). This is precisely what Brookfield did to the bridge between 1WFC and 2WFC only a few months ago. I am nostalgic for the original style, but its function is more important.
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #514
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 645
Likes (Received): 396

Being that the Liberty Street Bridge is the only surviving above-ground remnant of the original WTC, there is some sentimental value in leaving it as is, dents and all.
__________________

Msradell, redbaron_012 liked this post
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 05:48 PM   #515
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: BALBOA ISLAND/PASADENA
Posts: 566

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
Being that the Liberty Street Bridge is the only surviving above-ground remnant of the original WTC, there is some sentimental value in leaving it as is, dents and all.
Are you kidding?..There is a memorial museum for that purpose.
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #516
Enigmatism415
Registered User
 
Enigmatism415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
Being that the Liberty Street Bridge is the only surviving above-ground remnant of the original WTC, there is some sentimental value in leaving it as is, dents and all.
Why leave the dents? We know what happened. Technically speaking, Liberty Bridge was more a part of the WFC because it never led to the original WTC complex (although it was ultimately intended to, and thus it does now). I'm fine with preserving the style for nostalgia's sake, but the dents make the bridge look slipshod.

Although it's not a popular opinion, I'm also in favor of completely refurbishing the sphere out of respect for its artist.
Enigmatism415 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 02:47 AM   #517
turtlebay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 65
Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Why leave the dents? We know what happened. Technically speaking, Liberty Bridge was more a part of the WFC because it never led to the original WTC complex (although it was ultimately intended to, and thus it does now). I'm fine with preserving the style for nostalgia's sake, but the dents make the bridge look slipshod.

Although it's not a popular opinion, I'm also in favor of completely refurbishing the sphere out of respect for its artist.
Koenig's thoughts on the sphere; "It now has a different beauty, one I could never imagine. It has its own life – different from the one I gave to it."
__________________

AlePa2013 liked this post
turtlebay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 12:01 AM   #518
Joshua Dodd
Registered User
 
Joshua Dodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 1,579
Likes (Received): 1548

__________________

rákos, 0095914 liked this post
Joshua Dodd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #519
ThomasK2001
Registered User
 
ThomasK2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lawnside, NJ
Posts: 519
Likes (Received): 652



Sometimes work being done!

From Earthcam
ThomasK2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:39 AM   #520
droneriot
Urban Hermit
 
droneriot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cydonia Mensae
Posts: 4,659
Likes (Received): 2612

Is it normal in the USA for plazas with a few tiny patches of grass to be called "parks"? I see that a lot in NYC threads, there's this one, the memorial one, the Hudson Yards one, all of them have very little to do with actual parks, just little spots of green in between a big concrete area.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu