daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #21
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21100

Ancient knowledge doesn't need to be considered just because it is old. They didn't have 10% of our current understanding of materials science back in 1700!!! They didn't know about microproperies of precast concrete. They didn't have wins tunnels to experiment models and ultra powerful computers to measure the results!

Moreover, 99% of old architectural production was crap and it just havent survived to our age.

I don pay homage to old knowledge. It had its place but it has been supplanted. We don't use magic portions to cure appendicitis and we wouldn't use horse drawn carriages as major transportation solutions. Why should we abide by outdated architectural concepts then?

It's just nostalgia and I don't bite a piece of it. I even think we have too many listed r protected buildings that could be demolished or razed in a whim to be replaced for something modern.

Finally, we live in strange times in which parts of the educated population are deluded into thinking only old things can be authentic or have a crap thing called character. Be it music (dinosaur-like 1970 rock bands will never be matched by contemporary ones ever), be it food (only old receipts are good) or architecture (no building post WW2 can ever match old crap from 18th century)

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #22
garum0
Paraboloide Iperbolico

Likes (Received): 1569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Ancient knowledge doesn't need to be considered just because it is old. They didn't have 10% of our current understanding of materials science back in 1700!!! They didn't know about microproperies of precast concrete. They didn't have wins tunnels to experiment models and ultra powerful computers to measure the results!

Moreover, 99% of old architectural production was crap and it just havent survived to our age.

I don pay homage to old knowledge. It had its place but it has been supplanted. We don't use magic portions to cure appendicitis and we wouldn't use horse drawn carriages as major transportation solutions. Why should we abide by outdated architectural concepts then?

It's just nostalgia and I don't bite a piece of it. I even think we have too many listed r protected buildings that could be demolished or razed in a whim to be replaced for something modern.

Finally, we live in strange times in which parts of the educated population are deluded into thinking only old things can be authentic or have a crap thing called character. Be it music (dinosaur-like 1970 rock bands will never be matched by contemporary ones ever), be it food (only old receipts are good) or architecture (no building post WW2 can ever match old crap from 18th century)
Old and outdated thinking my friend, it could be work 60 years ago. Refresh yourself!
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #23
tommolo

Likes (Received): 3601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

What's your name? Filippo Tommaso Marinetti? Do you live in 1910? haha just joking, but relax and take it easy, life it's beautiful and we're discussing about an amazing, challenging problem: how can we build in the future more pleasant and liveable cities?
So, your position is clear, you like only post 1950 buildings: why? What do you like in those buildings? What would you like to take back from that 1950s style for an utopical new architecture or art that we all are trying our best to figure out?
Of course, and in this I agree with you, this new style shall not be only a dull repetition of past style, but an original and a fresh reinvention of classical sense of global aesthetic with a modern touch and sensibility: art must be expression of its times and of its time's aspirations
tommolo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote