daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Tanzania > Projects and Construction Updates > Major Cities

Major Cities Arusha, Mwanza, Mbeya, Tanga, Zanzibar & Dodoma

Old November 15th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #1
blakkphoenixx

Likes (Received): 0

Arusha DC Safari City

Hello people,
does anyone have any renders of the proposed satellite city in Arusha, Arusha DC Safari City?

Would be great to see the plans.
blakkphoenixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 15th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2
bantugbro
Olduvai Gorge

Likes (Received): 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakkphoenixx View Post
Hello people,
does anyone have any renders of the proposed satellite city in Arusha, Arusha DC Safari City?

Hello blakkphoenixx, first of all we would like to welcome you, Karibu sana...

I am sure TZboy knows something or two w.r.t the Arusha DC Safari City.
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #3
TZBoy

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Hello people,

Welcome to Skyscrapercity

Quote:
I am sure TZboy knows something or two w.r.t the Arusha DC Safari City.
I haven't been back home for over 4 months (currently studying in New Zealand) but i will do some digging and let you all know what i find out
TZBoy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #4
tanzan
Serengeti

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Hello people,

welcome blakkphoenixx
tanzan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #5
blakkphoenixx

Thanks for the very warm welcome guys... as a patriotic citizen, this site has further ignited my passion for Tanzanias rapid "runaway train" development! Keep up the good work wadau...
Old December 26th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #6
blakkphoenixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBoy View Post
Welcome to Skyscrapercity

I haven't been back home for over 4 months (currently studying in New Zealand) but i will do some digging and let you all know what i find out
What you studying, Sir, if I may ask?
Old December 26th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #7
TZBoy

Quote:
What you studying, Sir, if I may ask?
Bachelor of Information Sciences majoring in Information Technology
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #8
blakkphoenixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBoy View Post
Bachelor of Information Sciences majoring in Information Technology
Great stuff, that makes two of us (techies) , am a Software Developer, my Bachelors was Computing and Information Systems.
Old December 28th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #9
chamoto
سلم

Likes (Received): 60

Kumbe ninyi mnapenda kucheza na binary numbers eeh?

Mimi na wewe
chamoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM   #10
tanzan
Serengeti

I recently heard that Arusha City Authorities has signed with Dubai based company called Phills international to build a satellite city consisting of huge shopping malls,hospital,schools etc. Construction will be complete 2015.

Anyone has more details?

Is the same Arusha DC Safari City?
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #11
TZBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanzan View Post
I recently heard that Arusha City Authorities has signed with Dubai based company called Phills international to build a satellite city consisting of huge shopping malls,hospital,schools etc. Construction will be complete 2015.

Anyone has more details?

That is interesting, I have multiple times e-mailed the municipal council but nothing. I will try ask some people to try find out.
Old January 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #12
Rajab2

Quote:

Anyone has more details?

Ndio hii inayohusu Kaloleni. I am asking around but as of yet haven't received any news how big this project is, or how they plan to evict some of the people. Did you hear anything about when they plan to begin?

Actually, nimejaribu kufungua website yao, lakini even though i can read the headings, none of the pages will open, is this the same for everyone?

With regards to the topic, I don't have any renders, but i believe the project in question is the one they are talking about in the following article? Anyone can confirm?

Quote:
Turkish experts strike deal to develop
Safari Town

By Happy Lazaro

The Arusha municipal council in Arumeru district has approved an expenditure of Tsh.8.6 billion for the purchase of a 432 acre parcel of land in Arumeru district, Arusha region for the development of a new satellite city.

The payment will be made immediately the council has acquired the money. The African Commercial Bank (CBA) has agreed to loan the council the money on favourale interest terms.

Arusha Municipal Council Director Haifa Hida said this during a special council meeting as s he read the agenda of approving the payment of buying the land parcel which is owned by Keystone Limited of Arusha town.

He disclosed that before the buying transactions were initiated by the council a valuation report had been compiled by M & R Agency of Dar es Salaam City who pegged the value of the property at Tsh.29 billion.

The aim of purchasing the land was to build a satellite city known as Safari Town with state of art modern apartments using experts from Turkey. Completed buildings will be sold to the public at fair prices while others will be rented out to earn the city municipality cash.

Arusha District Commissioner Mercy Silla applauded the municipal council for coming up with such a noble idea of earning it money.

The council chairman Simon Sanging’o said it was worthwhile for the council to consider offering education to councilors on development project matters.”We are not experts. We need more education and exposure through field trips and tours so as to hasten the development of our municipality.” said Sanging’o.
Rajab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #13
TZBoy

‘Sky scrapper’ project wipes out old Kaloleni

Quote:
By Arusha Times Reporter

Arusha City kicks off the year 2012 with yet another major controversy. This time it revolves around a proposed project to convert Kaloleni into a high end commercial district, but already residents of the area are up in arms.

Thousands of tenants of the about 500 residential houses, belonging to the Arusha Municipal Council in Kaloleni area will soon be evicted from the said properties to pave way for new real estate developments.

Nearly 1000 families with over 5000 people between them will now be required to look for alternative dwellings far from Kaloleni area since the council intends to start demolishing all the houses in the vicinity anytime from now, according to Municipal authorities.

“The houses are very aged, some quite tiny and an eyesore because Kaloleni is located right in the City Center where we now intend to establish modern structures among them residential flats and commercial skyscrapers,” explained the Municipal Mayor, Mr Gaudence Lyimo.

The Arusha-Urban Member of the Parliament, Godbless Lema is at the moment putting on the gloves ready to fight against the move, arguing that the Kaloleni residents must first be assured of their future places of residency before the city fathers think of chucking them out of their homes.

Addressing a rally in Unga-Limited grounds last week, Lema maintained that, what he knows of the project is an intended shopping city in Kaloleni which will see thousands of Arusha residents being displaced.

"If they want to establish a shopping mall, commercial center or any other project, we welcome the move but they should consider expanding to other areas like say Kisongo, Muriet and other less developed locations," said Lema.

The MP argued that, Kaloleni is a residential area and should remain like that because there is no place where it was written that people have no right to live in the city. The politician also stated that there have been underground motives to sell off Kaloleni to some people from the United Arabian Emirates (UAE).

But speaking to the journalists later the Municipal Mayor, Mr Lyimo refuted allegations that the Council was in the process of selling off the entire Kaloleni City Center District to Foreigners from the Middle East.

“The proposed new housing and commercial property projects for Kaloleni will be fully undertaken by the Arusha Municipal Council and all buildings will belong to AMC,” insisted the Mayor.

But Mr Lyimo admitted that the Council has outsourced the services of the Dubai-based, Phillips International of UAE to execute the construction of the modern ‘Kaloleni City’ as per council’s directives and planning though the soon to be affected tenants are smelling fish in the whole arrangement.

“The company may be based in Dubai but among its owners are Tanzanians who have seen the importance of transforming Arusha’s City landscape for the better; actually it will be a joint venture between them and the council,” said the Mayor without explaining what kind of people are expected to occupy the new properties once completed or whether they are going to be affordable rent wise.

“All I can say is that the Arusha Municipal Council is not in any way trying to harass its residents, especially the tenants of the AMC houses; we are simply trying to push development into the area,” he said.

Arusha has for many years been facing acute shortage of residential houses and the council believes the new buildings of Kaloleni will help solve the problem. The City center, whose population growth clocks at 3.5 percent per annum, has a population of about 500,000 .

Among the AMC buildings to be bulldozed include single unit houses, residential flats, multi family structures and business outlets all sprawling the entire Kaloleni and parts of Levolosi and Pangani areas mapped between the main Arusha-Moshi highway, down to Old Makongoro Road.

The move is aimed at easing the current housing problem in the urban section of Arusha, hand-in-hand with improving the town appearance which has stagnantly remained the same since attaining its Municipal status in 1980. Arusha is about to be officially made City and this could be among the strategies to facelift the urban appearance.

Local History indicates that, some of the tenants for the AMC owned houses of Kaloleni have been living in the vicinity for over 50 years now enjoying the lowest rental rates in the locality.
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Fwesa
架構的情人

Likes (Received): 252

Perhaps this is the time for me to say what I have always felt about Arusha. It is such a beautiful and fast growing city but I have always wondered about its future development. Is there a good forward-looking master plan? The narrow meandering residential roads etc need to be addressed now to avoid farther, expensive and acrimonious demolisions in the future.
After Kaloleni, should the people in Mianzini, Sanawari, Sakina, etc start preparing their heads for a shaving?
Fwesa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #15
tanzan
Serengeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwesa View Post
Perhaps this is the time for me to say what I have always felt about Arusha. It is such a beautiful and fast growing city but I have always wondered about its future development. Is there a good forward-looking master plan? The narrow meandering residential roads etc need to be addressed now to avoid farther, expensive and acrimonious demolisions in the future.
After Kaloleni, should the people in Mianzini, Sanawari, Sakina, etc start preparing their heads for a shaving?
I am really for such projects but I wonder so many people will be affected.Have they been given them an alternative or we will see another endless court battle eventually the developer pulls off the deal. I mean why can't they allocate the developer a place where has no issues and can proper plan out all the necessary infrastructure.

maybe someone in Arusha can give us more info on the ground.

The highest and lowest points of the AFRICAN continent can both be found in TANZANIA!
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:10 AM   #16
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 543

Quote:
I am really for such projects but I wonder so many people will be affected.Have they been given them an alternative or we will see another endless court battle eventually the developer pulls off the deal. I mean why can't they allocate the developer a place where has no issues and can proper plan out all the necessary infrastructure.

maybe someone in Arusha can give us more info on the ground.
True. They should have thought of acquiring land towards Usa river and create a new urban node between Arusha and Moshi. The benefits of this would be immense, especially if it is built with tourists in mind given all the surrounding attractions in the area.

I'm all for urban renewal, but only if the local community benefits.
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #17
TZBoy

Arusha shelves plans for satellite town

AN ambitious project of constructing a satellite town in the remote location of Ilakilak Ward in Arusha Rural District Council has officially been shelved.

The proposed new city was to be known as "Arusha DC Safari Town" and was ideally meant to ease congestion in the streets of Arusha town which, due to lack of space, can no longer be expanded. The Arusha Rural District Council Director, Mr Khalifa Hida has admitted that the project will no longer take off.

Construction works for the new satellite town was to start in earnest at the end of last year, but due to some misunderstandings, the plans were pushed forward. However, more controversies continued to hound the project prompting the authorities to bury the whole thing.

Among the problems surrounding the project was lack of proper planning for road networks, water supply and the fact that some people complained of having paid for plots but failed to get them. The Arusha Regional Commissioner's office has issued a statement to the effect that the 430 acres of land, which was earmarked for the proposed town will now be used to construct buildings for the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights.

The ACHPR Court, which is an organ of the African Union (AU), is currently operating from the Tanzania National Parks (TANAPA) buildings in the Urundini Majengo area of Arusha, along Dodoma road. Mr Hida revealed here that the ARDC had purchased the 430 acres for the proposed new city from the Valhala Estate at the cost of 8.6bn/- in total, a figure which it can be broken down to 20m/- per acre.

The new Arusha DC Safari city was initially expected to be completed on the 30th of September 2013 after a speedy, non-stop construction. All residential houses within the proposed city were to be built by the council and sold off to interested people under mortgage and loaning schemes.

A firm known as Arusha District Council Trust Company (ADCTC) was to be formed to undertake all the tasks involved in forming the new urban settlement. The Tanzania Investment Bank (TIB), on the other hand, was expected to issue the 8.6bn/-loan to enable the council clear the land purchasing bill, ready for the ambitious project.

The CRDB Bank was also expected to fund the proposed city building project with another loan package. The council has approved the expenditure of 170m/- from its coffers for the purchase of two vehicles for the project.

http://www.dailynews.co.tz/index.php...satellite-town
Written by MARC NKWAME
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #18
Fwesa
架構的情人

Likes (Received): 252

I still think Arusha's size is not too big to re-plan and build a great city. The time for massive road reserves etc is now. Some of these things need leaders to think beyond their generation. Arusha will be a great city if there is political will. I am not convinced that roads cannot be expanded due to lack of space. It is still affordable to compansate people now and get space. Besides, the Namanga - Arusha - Moshi road for instance can accomodate a dual carriageway without need for demolitions. The same can be said of a number of other roads.
Fwesa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #19
mwinyi

Likes (Received): 459

They should go out to the drawing board and re start this project
mwinyi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:01 AM   #20
tanzan
Serengeti

Tanzania to establish satellite town near Arusha

ARUSHA, Tanzania, Feb. 5 (Xinhua) -- Tanzania on Wednesday announced plans to establish an ultra-modern satellite town in an area located few miles from the northern safari capital of Arusha.

Nehemiah Mchechu, National Housing Corporation (NHC) Director General, said that the move complement government's efforts to control the increasing population in the northern safari capital of Arusha.

He said the state-run real estate body has already acquired 300 acres of land in Usa-River area which is located 15 kilometers from Arusha's Central Business District.

"We have secured the land at the tune of 5 billion Tanzanian shillings (3,125,000 U.S dollars)," the NHC director said, "This area has some important social services like water and other infrastructures."

He said experts from the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Human Settlements Development are in the site to work on how the satellite town will look like as construction of the key facilities in the area is to start very soon.

The official said the proposed satellite town will have all the required facilities including shopping malls, residential houses, health facilities, and industrial parks, educational institutions.

However, Mchechu declined to reveal the exact amount of money needed to accomplish the project.

Arusha-based real estate experts welcomed the idea, saying the population in the tourist city is growing very rapidly, hence the proposed town will help to contain the situation as well as lowering rental fees.

"Having one or two such satellite towns will alone enhance tourism in Arusha," Arusha-based landlord Josiah Mollel said, calling on other land developers like NHC to chip in and implement such kinds of facilities in the city.

The NHC said that the project would be similar to schemes being implemented outside the South African cities of Johannesburg and Durban.

Population in Arusha is estimated to be close one million and the increasing population is fueled by the booming tourism industry, tanzanite mining and geographical location as it close to the Tanzania-Kenya border of Namanga.

There are other areas like Burka, which have been earmarked for establishing satellite towns in Arusha.

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article...aspx?id=198456

The highest and lowest points of the AFRICAN continent can both be found in TANZANIA!