daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #261
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

I'm also not sure if Finmaccanica would like to divest from STS.

Maybe if someone buys AnsaldoBreda they can fix and revive the V250 project then

Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #262
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Finmeccanica wants to get rid of both Breda and STS as they feel that those companies aren't relevant to their core business. Selling both companies at the same time increases the value of the package as Ansaldo STS is succesful, integration between Breda and STS (along with the necessary improvements to quality control etc.) might result in a specialized rail company in a way similar to Alstom Transport.
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #263
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Interesting. According to several Dutch news sources NS has struck a deal with AB. The deal involves returning all V250 sets for a 125 million euro refund. If the returned sets ever gets sold to somebody else NS gets an additional 21 million euros per set sold.
The articles also state that the main reason for this deal was that both parties didn't like the thought of time and resource consuming lawsuits.
An agreement is one thing, to receive the actual payment is second. After all AB has made several promises before.
Old March 17th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #264
Suburbanist
on the road

If NS lawyers are half-good, they got a financial guarantee from Finmeccanica.
Old March 17th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #265
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63058

The news articles on the deal specifically mention that the deal is between the NS, AnsaldoBreda & Finmeccanica.

Anyway, the NS gets much more then I expected. I consider this a great loss for AnsaldoBreda, they probably understood that they would not have won the court case over this delayed and substandard product. Even though the NS completely messed up with original tender and the the contracts that came out of it. That doesn't mean that the manufacturer can also screw up completely, even if it's still inside the terms of the contract.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #266
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
If the returned sets ever gets sold to somebody else NS gets an additional 21 million euros per set sold.
Really? I figured they would get an amount per set, with a total maximum of 21 million euro. The press release seems very ambiguously written. (http://i.imgur.com/0UafKkS.jpg)

If they would get 21 million per set, they would get more back from AnsaldoBreda than they paid for it (I believe 20 million per set), on top of the 125 million euro they already agreed upon.
Silly_Walks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:30 PM   #267
AlexNL

Per train set NS will receive a piece of the sale price with a maximum of 21 million euros. It's definitely NOT 21 million euros per set.
Old March 17th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #268
Suburbanist
on the road

Who could be a costumer for these train sets?

Maybe NTV decides to buy these trains to start new services
Old March 18th, 2014, 02:32 AM   #269
AlexNL

As is publicly known Finmeccanica wants to sell off its rail division, and has recently found some potential Chinese buyers. Having a company without any outstanding legal disputes is more attractive to potential buyers as this reduces the risk of a judge ruling that the customer should get its money back or something.

The outcome as agreed between NS, Finmeccanica and AnsaldoBreda is probably the best for AB's future (I see Finmeccanica closing down the entire factory if they can't sell it). For AnsaldoBreda, this is yet another write-off in their books. This goes nicely along the payments made to DSB to compensate for the IC 4 losses and the ongoing disputes with other customers.

I don't expect the V250 trains to ever carry passengers again, their reputation has been ruined by the piss-poor performance in the 6 weeks that they carried passengers, SNCB's and NS's press conferences only made things worse.

I don't see NTV buying these trains. The trains would require a major overhaul (both interior and exterior) to fit along the rest of NTV's fleet and service offerings, and even then it's very uncertain if they will ever match the performance of NTV's AGV fleet. NTV can't afford getting its reputation tarnished because of the V250 fleet.

All in all, the V250 story is a very sad story that has no winners, only losers. The biggest loser being the passenger, but that's the way it is.
Old March 20th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #270
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3771

If the price would be heavily cut, they might find customers for those trinsets in Russia, Poland, Turkey, Morroco, Algeria, or some other place like that. At a fair price, they definetly could be sold...In the end, in many contries rail operators are buying 30 years old trainsets...
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #271
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

But not high speed trainsets. There is a difference in running at 160 km/h and 250 km/h.
And regardless of the country, high speed trains should be reliable which can be hardly said about the above mentioned ones.
It's true that some rail operator could buy them at reduced price and limit the speed, but still, they'd risk a lot, especially image-wise.
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 10:05 AM   #272
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

All the problems with poor finish can be fixed. Also if you limit Vmax to 200 km/h you're allowed a higher axle load, which you can use to strenghten weak parts.
If you then use the train in countries that do not have massive corrosion causing weather (e.g. Algeria?) the trains could have a decent service life ahead of them.
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:34 PM   #273
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Except Algeria probably doesn't have the know-how to maintain 19 different semi-highspeed trains.
Silly_Walks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:46 PM   #274
Suburbanist
on the road

Are they really different trains, or just trains with individual adaptations deployed during assembling of parts?
Old March 21st, 2014, 04:55 PM   #275
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Are they really different trains, or just trains with individual adaptations deployed during assembling of parts?
Main mechanical parts are of course identical, but not two sets have exactly the same electrical wiring...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2014, 08:40 PM   #276
AlexNL

The differences in assembly is something which can be fixed. AB did the same with 14 IC4 trainsets and those have all been retrofitted.
Old March 21st, 2014, 09:06 PM   #277
Suburbanist
on the road

I keep wondering why they assembled trains like that first place... usually, making these custom installation is more (not less) expensive. The factory engineers must give some detailed plans and drawings for the workers to execute, unless the workers were ignoring official drawings (something that is not only counterproductive but dangerous), that would mean redrawing individual plans for each train on a "learn-on-the-job" basis.
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:30 PM   #278
AlexNL

What I understood from the leaked Mott McDonald's executive summary, the quality of the technical drawings was good. However, the engineers who built the actual trains did not follow the drawings to the letter and this was not dealt with during production.

To me it sounds like the engineers need some discipline: despite their technological expertise, they should not deviate from the designs as this only complicates the maintenance process.
Old March 23rd, 2014, 10:58 PM   #279
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I keep wondering why they assembled trains like that first place... usually, making these custom installation is more (not less) expensive. The factory engineers must give some detailed plans and drawings for the workers to execute, unless the workers were ignoring official drawings (something that is not only counterproductive but dangerous), that would mean redrawing individual plans for each train on a "learn-on-the-job" basis.
That's what I heard.

Apparently there is the same problem with the Bombardier Zefiros built by AnsaldoBreda.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 02:33 AM   #280
AlexNL

Really? That would surprise me as AB is a subcontractor to Bombardier, with adequate quality control (by BBD) this should've been spotted very early on.

Then again, you never know with AB.

Silly_Walks liked this post
AlexNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote