daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #121
Peloso

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never give up View Post
Ansaldo said the decision was "baffling" and that "it would protect their interests and their image". Now this is typical macaroni behavior. Like they usually say on macaroni newspapers, in order to fuel ill-advised patriotism, here we got "one more instance of ITALIAN EXCELLENCE".

Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:45 AM   #122
bolg

Likes (Received): 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Will AnsaldoBreda survive this? Good question... according to SNCB's report, AnsaldoBreda's financial situation is horrible. With NS and SNCB backing out of the V250 order and starting up legal procedures, this might very well worsen for them.

I am curious to see if the deals with Bombardier/Trenitalia and the Honolulu metro have provided the company with enough cashflow to be able to survive.
Yikes. Ansaldo are set to deliver a new signaling system to the Stockholm metro red line in 2013/2014.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #123
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolg View Post
Yikes. Ansaldo are set to deliver a new signaling system to the Stockholm metro red line in 2013/2014.
Anslado-STS is a reputable engineer company. I doubt it would be let to go bankrupt. Even if the whole group was to collapse, the STS unit could be sold with a hefty profit to some competitor.
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #124
bolg

Likes (Received): 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Anslado-STS is a reputable engineer company. I doubt it would be let to go bankrupt. Even if the whole group was to collapse, the STS unit could be sold with a hefty profit to some competitor.
I'm not worried by the end product or that they won't deliver due to bankruptcy, but of delays.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:17 AM   #125
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Ansaldo STS has a good reputation when it comes to signalling and train control. They are one of the leading vendors of ETCS hardware and software, apart from that they have another gem in their portfolio: TVM. A couple of years ago, Ansaldo STS bought CSEE, the original vendor of TVM, the signalling system used on all French high speed lines and on some lines outside France as well (such as the Channel Tunnel and High Speed 1). Even if the whole of Finmeccanica were to collapse, Ansaldo STS would survive.
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:20 AM   #126
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

The defense-related divisions are doing fine as well. Though they took a hit with Tunisian and Libyan contracts 2 years ago.
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #127
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

http://www.globalrailnews.com/2013/0...-fyra-failure/

Hooooooo boy

"How dare you drive our train at its designed speed?"
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #128
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Unfortunately there are partly right on this one. During the heavy snow SNCF limited TGVs to 160 km/h and DB and JR do a similar thing. HSA didn't. However I seriously doubt that at reduced speeds there wouldn't have been snow intrusion into the electric cabinets and clogging of the horns.
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #129
Tony_H1
was Local lad

Likes (Received): 3645

It took Metrolink engineers in Manchester UK nearly 7 years to correct all the faults on one of the second generation 2000 series LRVS that AnsaldoBreda delivered in 1999.

From delivery in 1999 4 out of 6 of these vehicles are now permanently retired!

Of the first series a vast majority are retired after little over 20 years service.

In Birmingham UK there are also 15 of these T69 type AnsaldoBreda LRVS. Every single one of them is wired up differently, and normally at least 2 are out of service long term or being used for spares, as it normally takes AB 8 to 10 weeks to deliver parts!

These trams are also being replaced shortly after a lifespan of a little over 10 years!
Tony_H1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #130
Maarten Otto

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Unfortunately there are partly right on this one. During the heavy snow SNCF limited TGVs to 160 km/h and DB and JR do a similar thing. HSA didn't. However I seriously doubt that at reduced speeds there wouldn't have been snow intrusion into the electric cabinets and clogging of the horns.
This is not entirely true. HSA did limit the speed to 160 km/h on the HSL during snow periods. I was on some V250 services that were restricted.
Old June 6th, 2013, 04:44 AM   #131
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

And besides, driving at 250 km/h in some snow could only be responsible for very few of the faults that were discovered... what about the other 2000 faults?? All by irresponsible driving? PUH-LEASE.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #132
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

More pics from dutch railways investigation

Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #133
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten Otto View Post
This is not entirely true. HSA did limit the speed to 160 km/h on the HSL during snow periods. I was on some V250 services that were restricted.
As I understand it now ANY speed would have been considered irresponsible by AB when it comes to driving in snowy conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
And besides, driving at 250 km/h in some snow could only be responsible for very few of the faults that were discovered... what about the other 2000 faults?? All by irresponsible driving? PUH-LEASE.
Sounds like Iraqi minister of information tactics to me. I would very much like to see how wrong usage can cause poor workmanship.
Old June 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #134
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Damage on the runs from Belgium:

The same cables ponted out above, broken and worn afther a month of usage; doors that fall off, plates that can't take friction of the wind...

Underneath the train; heavy damage from just driving at the regular speed these trains should operate (160km/h during snow)
Old June 8th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #135
Busfotodotnl

Likes (Received): 511

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
As I understand it now ANY speed would have been considered irresponsible by AB when it comes to driving in snowy conditions.

Sounds like Iraqi minister of information tactics to me. I would very much like to see how wrong usage can cause poor workmanship.
According to AnsaldoBreda NS did drive 250 with the V250 Fyra during snowy conditions

Busfotodotnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #136
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Ok so they can prove that I guess. Still, I don't think such big damage is accepatble even when driving 250km/h in snow. The train should have been build for that, they are expensive enough.

Does it somewhere says in the manual you can't drive 250 in snow?
Old June 8th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #137
joseph1951
BANNED

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
edit

Last edited by joseph1951; June 8th, 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: double post
joseph1951 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #138
joseph1951
BANNED

Quote:
Especially the rust formation /corrosion on bogies....
joseph1951 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:08 AM   #139
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 15481

Those pictures...
Old June 9th, 2013, 04:52 AM   #140
joseph1951
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
Those pictures...