daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > East Asia > Taiwan Forums 台灣論壇 > Projects & infrastructure / 工程和基礎設施

Projects & infrastructure / 工程和基礎設施 Development of infrastructure in Taiwan

Old November 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1
kalifese

Likes (Received): 12

Kaohsiung Convention Center

says it's supposed to be completed in mid-2012. must be delayed cuz no one's posted any construction photos.

from their website: http://www.coxarchitecture.com.au/#/project/12474

Quote:
"COX Architecture won this project through an international design and build competition. The project is part of a large harbour redevelopment within the city.*

Key to the design solution is the introduction of a public street that links the city to the waterfront, through the centre of the facility.

The design concept reflects the city's strong relationship with the sea. In keeping with the city's sustainability initiatives, a large number of advanced environmental components are contained within the building.

The building plan reflects the new hybrid centre and combines exhibition and convention in a single integrated facility.* This combination plans to improve the centres flexibility in hosting a large variety of events and conventions simultaneously.

The exhibition component has 1,100 indoor ground floor stands and 400 outdoor stands. The convention component accommodates 2,000 delegates and is located on the first floor. The basement includes full cook chill catering facilities plus associated service and equipment rooms.

Public access is provided on site for 6 coaches, 12 taxis, 300 cars and 850 motorcycles.**

The Kaohsiung Government expects the Centre to increase annual revenue by 30 million dollars and provide employment opportunities for around 2,000 people.

http://www.ecofriend.com/entry/kaohs...ar-collectors/

Eco Factor: Sustainable convention center to be developed by COX Architecture.

COX Architecture has unveiled the designs of a sustainable convention center to be built in Taiwan for the turnkey team. The Kaohsiung Exhibition and Convention Center will reflect Kaohsiung’s strong relationship with the sea and adopts a flamboyant wave-like structure befitting the new maritime precinct of Kaohsiung.

The low-scale building is overlooked by high rise CBD buildings. Moreover, the triangulated roof structure contains solar collectors and glazing giving the building intrigue, much like a giant sculpture sitting along the waterfront. The exhibition area of the building feature 1100 indoor ground floor stands and 400 outdoor stands. The first floor convention area of the building has been designed to accommodate 2000 delegates.

http://technicart.org/?p=795

kalifese no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 16th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #2
kalifese

it's a cool design. but i wonder why they want to permanently split the convention hall in half like that with a low ceiling in the middle. what if they host a big trade show one day - possibly computex, who knows - or just something big. wouldnt they want a nice big hall like at nangang that has divider walls that splits it in half for smaller shows and which can be removed for the big shows?
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #3
williamchung7

Likes (Received): 26

I think there is rendering show all designs and I remember it all designed by Taiwanese local architects.

williamchung7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #4
williamchung7

I find my thead about this development in citycape forum.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1205507
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #5
kalifese

the winning designed was designed by cox architecture of australia in collaboration with ricky liu architects. so not 100% taiwanese designed. you can tell it definitely looks like foreign design. compare that to nangang convention center which 100% looks like taiwanese local design!!
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6
kalifese

also, i think this convention center is just too small. the govt should take into consideration usage will outgrow capacity. especially when the central and kaohsiung govts are trying to develop kaohsiung, rebuilding the harbor, adding cultural institutions, building a luxury yacht manufacturing center, etc. so it's possible the convention business can grow significantly in kaohsiung. just look at taipei world trade center. they kept adding space one structure at a time and outgrew its location where they have no more room to expand. so they moved to nangang. then when they built nangang exhibition hall, that's still too small so now they are adding a convention center across the street that doesnt even match the design of exhibition hall. just seems like taiwan govt always does things in piecemeal, always think of the present not looking down the road into the future.

this design for kaohsiung convention center should take into consideration possible expansion. how will they add to this structure yet keep the integrity of the design? the shape is so unique that i dont see how they can add an extension to the design if need be in the future. if i was the architect i would take this into consideration.
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #7
williamchung7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalifese View Post
the winning designed was designed by cox architecture of australia in collaboration with ricky liu architects. so not 100% taiwanese designed. you can tell it definitely looks like foreign design. compare that to nangang convention center which 100% looks like taiwanese local design!!
A good question to ask how do they allocate the tasks. It is a piece of mystery for me. I have been rectified by forumers working in design company in Taiwan for my understanding of international collaobration.

Kalifese can you tell me.
Old November 17th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #8
kalifese

i dont know, i wasnt there.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:31 PM   #9
Awesome.e

Likes (Received): 3

Hello guys.. I know this is a public forum but I would like to ask people to vote for this photo. My friend from South Africa would really love to visit Taiwan and he entered this competition and if he wins, he will be able to get his travels subsidized. So please vote for this photo. You just need to be logged on to Facebook and vote. And please ask your friends on facebook to do it as well. I would really like to show these foreigners about Taiwan. @William, I know you dont have facebook, but it will be great if u can ask you friends to vote as well thanks guys, really appreciate it!

http://activity.taiwan.gov.tw/twfrie...76&tid=379&v=3
Awesome.e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:33 PM   #10
kalifese

hmmm......i give it 3 out of 10. a little amateurish looking.

i was going to enter in that competition too but was too lazy to submit work. deadline is today.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Awesome.e

haha! hey.. its not my work.. just helping a friend out. How can u enter the competition? It has to be a foreign national...
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:29 AM   #12
kalifese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome.e View Post
haha! hey.. its not my work.. just helping a friend out. How can u enter the competition? It has to be a foreign national...
what do you mean foreign national? a foreigner who lives in taiwan??
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Awesome.e

nah, they dont need to live in Taiwan.. they cannot hold a ROC passport
Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:36 PM   #14
kalifese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome.e View Post
nah, they dont need to live in Taiwan.. they cannot hold a ROC passport
i dont have a roc passport. so why cant i enter?
Old March 6th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Wpop89

Likes (Received): 71

世貿會展中心進度

by a1818da

Wpop89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Awesome.e

sweeeeeet
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:12 PM   #17
Wpop89

2012.7.21進度

by claudius

Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:16 PM   #18
Wpop89

by mrdark99

Old August 4th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #19
kalifese

i hope they redo that public square in the front. it needs a total redesign. something more grand with a big lavish fountain and sculpture, beautiful garden/lawn/landscaping with benches. i dont understand that big grey paved circle in the middle of the lawn as nothing is there thus serves no purpose whatsoever.
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #20
Awesome.e

Whoop!! nice shots thanks! Did they allocate space for future expansion around the area without sacrificing public space? Kaohsiung is definitely the best city in the country
Miami,
Tampa,
London, Munich, Windhoek

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: