daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Architecture creativity game: If you were one of the richest individuals in the world...

This thread is about creativity and love of skyscrapers. Recently I saw on television that Samuel L. Jackson is the world's richest actor with an overall carrer earn of 7.42 billion US dollars. Now when I heared this the question of what I would do with this money immediately came to my mind. Since I'm a skyscraper lover I'd come to the conclusion that if I had this money, I would build a skyscraper. What about you folks, would you too build a skyscraper if you had 7.42 billion? Well, here is the place to let your fantasy loose. If you would want to build a skyscraper if you would be a billionaire, describe it, it's design and it's location in this thread

Well, I personally (and I know that this isn't very creative, LOL ) can't think of a better design than the Willis Tower in Chicago. If I would be a billionaire I would build a Willis Tower clone in Phoenix. There would be only 3 differences from the original one in Chicago, it would be 2 meters taller (444 meter tall) so that it is the tallest building in the US by roof height, it would be made with a concrete bunker anti-car bomb base and a steel/reinforced concrete core stronger than even 1WTC's core, and it would have no antennas since Phoenix has many mountains that can carry masts arround it and because I think the building would look better without the antennas

[IMG]http://i41.************/mm36us.jpg[/IMG]

It would be the most dominating skyscraper in existence, It would be mixed use: I would live there with my family, I would make a part of it a hotel with a restaurant and an observation deck, part of it an acting school and a part of it would be movie studios. My own movie studios and my own hotel, my own acting school restaurant and observation deck in the building would generate, along with acting of course funds for me to support the skyscraper. I would also house the staff that would work for me in the building. On the 7 balconies I would plant trees so there is some nature there too. The rest of spare money that I would have I would use for charitative activities

Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2011, 04:31 PM   #2
PadArch

Likes (Received): 47

that statistic is not what he earned personally, but what all the films in his career combined have grossed in the box office.

i like willis tower, but isn't it more exciting to do a new design
PadArch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2011, 06:48 PM   #3
Kanto
Roof height crusader

LOL, I know it's a bit uncreative but I just can't think of any design that would be better than the Willis Tower
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:06 PM   #4
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

"Does this building look like a b*@#%!!!"

- - - - - -

I've played this game under the "If I had the wealth of Google's owners, Bill Gates, etc." And yes, I'd dabble in urban redevelopment in Atlanta. May not be as much skyscraper related, though, as most of Atlanta's issues occur at the street level (America's Mart, etc).

I'd build a new tower for CNN/Turner Broadcasting near the existing CNN center, looking to move their campus so Ga. Tech could acquire that property. The first part of that would be to pursue the Times Square effect mentioned in another thread. I'd also seek to build something akin to the Tokyo Sky Tree or CN Tower as part of the development, both to serve as a compound antennae and give the city another tourist attraction.

Assuming I could then throw my weight around and "fix" existing skyscrapers, first I'd find a way to better marry the main structure and the adorning crown of the Bank of America building. Solid cladding maybe, or incorporate some steel ornamentation to the main column of the building so that the pyramid doesn't look like it was stolen from another structure. The base is mundane, as well, but less crucial to me.

I would remove that stupid pimple/beacon from atop the SunTrust Plaza and redo the lighting scheme for the top of that building. Then I'd go after State of Georgia Building at 2 Peachtree Street. It's a sizable building that's set just far enough apart from downtown that it stands out in many photos, yet is a bland and worn example of its era. Great potential, though, and I'd look to better emphasize the vertical elements and the crown, both through materials, lighting and color scheme. Finding a way to extend the columns beyond the roof line was one idea, as was adding another horizontal demarcation at the top story. Maybe some additional exterior "lines" for some of the uppermost stories. Regardless, this building could become a much sexier part of the skyline.

Then it's off to the apartment/condo building at 16th and Spring St, shown to the left below. It's a cheap eyesore considering the visual appeal for the rest of midtown, and I don't know if it could be saved or should simply be razed.

[IMG]http://image.************.com/display_pic_with_logo/1277/1277,1107487565,4/stock-photo-midtown-atlanta-georgia-skyline-next-to-the-i-i-connector-134079.jpg[/IMG]

The Georgia Pacific Building, the Equitable Building and the Coca Cola plaza could all use some sexing up, the latter might even be talked into a new building altogther, but otherwise that's about it skyscraper wise.

Would definitely have to redo Ga. Tech's football stadium, including the relocation of the two buildings it's had to evolve around. Oh, and that "torch" new the North Ave. exit... that atrocity has got to go.
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:15 PM   #5
master-chivas

Likes (Received): 200

LOL I'd build a super tall goku Skyscraper TOTALLY

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AWESOME!
Old November 24th, 2011, 04:18 AM   #6
minneapolis-uptown

I would build a 1500 ft. art-deco tower in Minneapolis taking design inspiration from Rand tower, the Qwest building, the Midtown building, and Foshay tower (all in Minneapolis) and locate it on marquette between 10th and 9th. It would be mixed use with apartments, condos, offices and retail. all the retail spaces would be 2-stories with stairs in them to connect the skyway with street level retail.

Last edited by minneapolis-uptown; November 24th, 2011 at 04:36 AM.
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Something that is mad tall in the midst of the financial district in Boston. The building would have setbacks and end in a somewhat sharp top
Old November 25th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #8
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

Just two supertalls for Manila and I'll be all set.

OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #9
alyers

Likes (Received): 0

I'd also seek to build something akin to the Tokyo Sky Tree or CN Tower as part of the development, both to serve as a compound antennae and give the city another tourist attraction.
alyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #10
Concrete Stereo

Likes (Received): 599

One of the richest individuals in the world... has in fact built a skyscraper for himself

Quote:
Located in Mumbai, the most expensive house in the world is owned (fittingly) by the richest man in India: Mukesh Ambani, age 53. He lives in the $1 billion skyscraper mansion with his wife, three children and 600 servants. The building took nearly three years to complete.

[...]

The entire structure is 27 stories (568 feet high), with a total area of over 398,000 square feet of living space (that’s more space than at the Palace of Versailles). Although to be fair, the first 6 floors are a 160-car garage.

The amenities are as extravagant as they are endless, but what would you expect from the fourth richest human on the planet? The most expensive house in the world has a private gym, ballroom, 50-seat movie theater, health spa, several swimming pools, and 3 helicopter pads. The house also features small trees in the residence in an elevated garden with high ceilings.
Concrete Stereo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #11
emmer

Likes (Received): 1364

I'd buy a tropical island and build my own cbd

emmer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #12
minneapolis-uptown

nice, but you know what would be more awesome? if the cbd was sprawling up the side of a mountain on the tropical island
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Stereo View Post
One of the richest individuals in the world... has in fact built a skyscraper for himself

That looks like a vertical shanty town.
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 12:54 AM   #14
muckydoggy1

Are you all purposely picking ugly skyscrapers as some sort of ironic point? :S
Surely you can't think the Willis tower is the best design to choose?
muckydoggy1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 01:47 PM   #15
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I actualy do think exactly that. In my opinion the Willis tower is the most beautiful structure on this planet
Old December 2nd, 2011, 06:58 PM   #16
muckydoggy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I actualy do think exactly that. In my opinion the Willis tower is the most beautiful structure on this planet
It's a load of stacked boxes. Box shapes can look minimal on ground-scrapers sometimes but on tall structures you need to be imaginative and push boundaries. Just because something is tall doesn't make it an amazing design.
muckydoggy1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:03 PM   #17
Kanto
Roof height crusader

A box, as you call it, is the most beautiful shape in geometry. That's why boxy buildings are the most beautiful buildings that exist, especially bundled boxy buildings like the Willis Tower
Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:59 AM   #18
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

^You should really say "to me" or "in my opinion" or something of the like. You sound like you're saying only your opinion is right.

As for me, if I had that much money, I'd build one of the skyscrapers I've drawn. It'd be cool to see my drawings come to life
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote