daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM   #1
gio maisuradze

Likes (Received): 50

KUT | Kutaisi Kopitnari Airport

Amsterdam architects UNStudio have designed a new international airport for Kutaisi, Georgia.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

The airport will serve the growing number of tourists to the city, as well as politicians and diplomats visiting the country’s parliament, which is moving from the capital Tbilisi to Kutaisi next year.

The terminal will include three departure gates, as well as a departure lounge with a large private garden.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Arriving and departing passengers will each use a different side of the airport, while the lobby will double-up as a gallery for local artworks.

The project is scheduled for completion by September next year.

Click above for larger image

This is the second project in Georgia that we’ve featured recently – see our earlier story here about a checkpoint with a knobbly observation tower.

Click above for larger image

Here’s a longer explanation from UNStudio:

Ben van Berkel / UNStudio’s design for the new Kutaisi Airport officially presented yesterday by the President of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili

UNStudio’s design for the new Transfer Terminal and Air Traffic Control Tower for Kutaisi Airport was officially presented yesterday by the President of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili.

Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili, who personally demolished one of the walls of the old airport yesterday announced, “”We will build an international airport here, which will take aircraft from Munich, Rome, Baku and other cities as of next year.”

UNStudio has designed the new Kutaisi Airport which will serve domestic and international flights for use by international diplomats, national politicians and for tourism.

Georgia, a young state in the Caucasus which has undergone considerable development in recent years, is moving its Parliament from the capital Tbilisi to the city of Kutaisi. A new parliament building is currently under construction in Kutaisi and in 2012 the first parliamentary meeting will take place.

In recent years growing numbers of tourists have been discovering Georgia, a country with an ancient and engaging history. As a result there is increasing demand from airlines to fly to Georgia. By virtue of its geographical advantages and the nearby location of two of Georgia’s most important Unesco monuments, Kutaisi was selected as the destination for a new airport. The new Kutaisi airport will in addition provide an economic impulse to Georgia’s second city and its new seat of Parliament.

Ben van Berkel: “The design for the new terminal in Kutaisi focuses first and foremost on the experience of the traveller by creating an inviting, safe, transparent and user-friendly airport. The desire to provide for and communicate equally with both international visitors and the local community is paramount. ”

UNStudio’s design for the new Kutaisi Airport incorporates both Georgia’s historic landscape and its architecture. In Georgia public buildings and private houses employ their entrance lobbies as showcases for their individual identities. In the design for the new airport UNStudio embraces this architectural concept in order to manifest Georgia’s young and dynamic democracy, along with its rapid development as a main crossing point in the region. Georgia is located on a crossroads of rich cultures, with a history of travellers passing through the Caucasus or arriving from the Black Sea.

Ben van Berkel: “It was particularly exciting for me to be able to design an airport which is not only linked to the new seat of parliament in Kutaisi, but which also creates an entrance condition which functions as a port for the international community. The airport presents a symbolic infrastructural gateway to Georgia and, from there, to the rest of the world.”

The 4,000 m2 terminal building will house a central arrivals hall, a check-in area with lounge, cafe and car rental facilities, three gates for departure with retail, cafes, a CIP lounge area and exterior garden, an arrival area with customs and offices for the border police and an administration area with staff rooms and press conference facilities.

The architecture of the terminal refers to a pavilion; a gateway, in which a clear structural layout creates an all encompassing and protective volume. The volume is structured around a central exterior space which is used for departing passengers. The transparent space around this central point is designed to ensure that flows of passengers are smooth and that departure and arrival flows do not coincide. These axes incorporate views from the plaza to the apron and to the Caucasus on the horizon. The design organises the logistical processes, provides optimal security and ensures that the traveler has sufficient space to circulate comfortably. Serving as a lobby to Georgia, the terminal could in addition operate as an art gallery, displaying works by Georgian artists and thereby presenting a further identifier of contemporary Georgian culture.

The 55m high, 300 m2 Air Traffic Control Tower is designed to compliment the design of the terminal. The traffic control cabin on the top level forms the focal point of the tower, with a spacious and comfortable interior ensuring a workspace of optimal concentration. 1,500 m2 of supporting office spaces are housed in a nearby building. The exterior of the tower is clad with a transparent skin with the potential to change color whenever there is a fluctuation in traffic. The Air Traffic Control Tower will function as a light beacon to the sky for the international airport, but also from the road to and from Georgia’s new parliamentary city Kutaisi.

Ben van Berkel: “The design for the new airport embraces the traveller by embodying the circumstance of the site. Moments of both leaving and returning are celebrated by the large span, open spaces and high ceiling of the terminal structure – reflecting the ways in which such gestures were employed in the great railway stations of the past.”

The design for the new airport aims to incorporate local and international sustainable elements. An onsite underground source of natural water provides the basis for the reduction of energy consumption through concrete core activation. The floors of both the Terminal and the ATCT will utilise this water for maintaining a regulated temperature in the two volumes. In the Terminal building cantilevered roofs provide sun shading on south and southwest zones. A hybrid low pressure ventilation system will be integrated into the terminal’s main structure and there will be a grey water collection system in the floor underneath the terminal building. To further lower energy consumption there is the possibility to implement large areas of PV-cells on the roof surface. Kustaisi airport will be Georgia’s first airport to incorporate a strict segregation of waste. The aim is to establish a recycling system which could be further implemented into new and existing projects in Georgia.

Construction on the new Kutaisi Airport will begin in December 2011. The airport is scheduled to be operational in September 2012.
gio maisuradze no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:12 AM   #2
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

Any progress and/or news?
Old June 6th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Kost_off
Асцярожна, Беларус!

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelesHomais View Post
Any progress and/or news?
+1
More renders & planes: http://www.unstudio.com/projects/kutaisi-airport

Last edited by Kost_off; June 6th, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Kost_off no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
gmaisuradze15
Gio maisuradze

Likes (Received): 58

Kutaisi kopitnari airport Wizz air

gmaisuradze15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #5
gio maisuradze

Test flight . b747 landed in Kutaisi airport

Old August 30th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Kost_off
Асцярожна, Беларус!

Likes (Received): 14

I'm found a few photo of construction's process:

And bonus height diagramm:
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Homem
Walking man

Likes (Received): 111

Great news !
I was there in december 2009 and in this time it was possible to take a free military(or postal?) flight to the remote northern Mestia, unfortunately for me, I could not enjoy this flight because the weather was to bad for these flights.
Do these free flight to Mestia still exists ? Or is it done by regular route in a classical airline (which one ?)?
I'm not sure I understood: the Georgian parliament is now in Kutaisi?
It's strange because it will force MPs to travel constantly to Tbilisi (by plane ???), it seems to be an expensive and impractical operation.

Anyway, I keep a wonderful memory of my stay in Georgia, an amazingly varied country despite its size.

Marcher debout

"Ali Topu Agop'a at", Hrant Dink.

Rire ensemble de nos différences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjwFcSRzO48
Homem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #8
Nigel20

Likes (Received): 1402

Nice!

nigel182 (my flickr account)
Nigel20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #9
gio maisuradze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homem View Post
Great news !
I was there in december 2009 and in this time it was possible to take a free military(or postal?) flight to the remote northern Mestia, unfortunately for me, I could not enjoy this flight because the weather was to bad for these flights.
Do these free flight to Mestia still exists ? Or is it done by regular route in a classical airline (which one ?)?
I'm not sure I understood: the Georgian parliament is now in Kutaisi?
It's strange because it will force MPs to travel constantly to Tbilisi (by plane ???), it seems to be an expensive and impractical operation.

Anyway, I keep a wonderful memory of my stay in Georgia, an amazingly varied country despite its size.
yes there are regular flights from Tbilisi to Mestia everyday. (i dont know the plane type, go to Wikipedia to "Tbilisi airport" and see there).
yes, the parliament is in kutais . they will have to travle by car or by plane.

hope you will come To better Georgia one more time and enjoy new resorts such as: Akhalkalaki, Anaklia, wkaltubo, Telavi, Kvareli, Gudauri, Batumi...
Old September 12th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #10
Homem
Walking man

I was in Akhalkalaki, Djavarkh for one day (this region and the city, though beautiful, seemed to me so poor and abandoned (I remember dirt streets in Akhalkalaki).
Batumi? Downtown is OK. Otherwise, it seemed rather to be a small and cheap Dubai and a brothel for Turks.
Sure I want to visit again the fascinating Georgia, especially make treks in the High Caucasus range.

It's written in the first post of this thread "The airport is scheduled to be operational in September 2012."
Seeing pictures we can doubt that the new terminal will be ready on that date. What do you think ?

Marcher debout

Old September 12th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #11
gio maisuradze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homem View Post
I was in Akhalkalaki, Djavarkh for one day (this region and the city, though beautiful, seemed to me so poor and abandoned (I remember dirt streets in Akhalkalaki).
Batumi? Downtown is OK. Otherwise, it seemed rather to be a small and cheap Dubai and a brothel for Turks.
Sure I want to visit again the fascinating Georgia, especially make treks in the High Caucasus range.

It's written in the first post of this thread "The airport is scheduled to be operational in September 2012."
Seeing pictures we can doubt that the new terminal will be ready on that date. What do you think ?
well, dont forget our president Misha Saakashvili. he said it would be, so it will be!

after the construction of new highway in tbilisi, new justice house in tbilisi and new parliament of Georgia, i do not doubt it wont open on the date. they all were built in a so little time that im sure they will finish the airport in date

we will really sea first passengers in this termianl in september
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Florin

Likes (Received): 563

Quote:
Georgia, Tbilisi, Sept.27/ Trend, N.Kirtskhalia /
New airport named after David Agmashenebeli will be opened in Kutaisi on Sept.27.
The opening ceremony will be attended by President of Georgia Mikheil Saakashvili and Prime Minister of Hungary, Viktor Orbán.
The airport will receive the first aircraft of the European budget airline Wizz Air. The company will carry out Kiev-Kutaisi flight, after which the aircraft will return back to the Ukrainian capital.
http://en.trend.az/regions/scaucasus...a/2070001.html

Any pictures of the new terminal building? Congrats for Georgia, the renders look amazing.
Florin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Homem
Walking man

Newspapers says: "Construction of the airport began in November last year and it will be operated by a French company.."

Wow ! Seeing the photos dated from July it seems incredible that the terminal is already finished. Is the terminal construction really achieved or is it just an "inauguration" for the picture ?
Which french company will operate this airport ?

Marcher debout

Old September 27th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #14
gio maisuradze

kutaisi airport

Old September 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM   #15
justproject

Likes (Received): 3297

NORDWIND 767 at KUT

Last edited by justproject; September 2nd, 2014 at 08:49 PM.
justproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2014, 04:22 PM   #16
justproject

Likes (Received): 3297

Last edited by justproject; September 2nd, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
justproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote