daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 6th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #21
flange

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
From the planning website. It seems the restaurant will be Thai themed

Quote:
Reference: 11/02267/DC

Alternative Reference: 000028932-001

Application Received: 03 Oct 2011

Address: 4 Nelson Mandela Place Glasgow G2 1BT

Proposal: Use of existing retail store (Class 1) as mixed use development (Sui Generis) comprising bar/restaurant (ground, first and second floors); therapy and spa treatment rooms (third floor) and hotel (fourth and fifth floors); external alterations, including the installation of architectural lighting and use of the adjacent footway as external seating area

The applicant is listed as Chaophraya.

Quote:
Applicant Name: Chaophraya Ltd

https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk/...=LSHWRVEXW4000
flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 7th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #22
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 325

Is this relating to the current Amarone restuarant space or somewhere else?
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #23
indiekid
Hipster Scum

Likes (Received): 1128

Amarone is basement level, so it's probably unaffected.
indiekid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #24
fazaz

Likes (Received): 0

Akbars should be opening on the 24th of Feb if all is still going to plan

I am not sure how many of you have tried it - but I think they will fill the shoes of Tiffin Rooms very well

It will certainly become my desitnation of choice once it opens
fazaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #25
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 243

Wonder if this one will ever come to be.

Old February 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #26
flange

Likes (Received): 745

Glasgow is one of the locations.

Quote:
John Burton-Race to launch world’s first ‘interactive restaurant’

23rd February 2012, 9:58am

Two award-winning TV chefs are set to reshape the way people dine out by creating the world’s first interactive restaurant, chosen by the public for the public.

The idea is the brainchild of chef Jonathon Davies, who joined forces with two-time Michelin Star Chef and TV personality, John Burton-Race, after winning ITV's Britain's Best Dish in 2010 where John was a judge on the show.

This brand new concept allows members of the public to take full control of running a restaurant by deciding every element, from the location and the cuisine to the chefs and the décor.

Once they have voted on where they want the first restaurant, they will be invited to join and collaborate in the creation and running of the world's first interactive restaurant.

Each member will be given the opportunity to continuously vote on any restaurant issues, as well as receiving numerous benefits such as vouchers and reward points. The aim is that a restaurant will be created in 10 cities all over the world based on this concept.

John Burton-Race said: "This experience will encapsulate our whole passion for not just food but in providing a global food hub that everyone trusts. It will be one of those amazing challenges where I will be able to help create a total food experience and pass on my knowledge and passion to our apprentices, chefs, front of house team and members.

Jonathan Davies added: "With the popularity of social media and online gaming soaring, we realised there was a strong appetite to experience control of a restaurant, so a real-life version has a lot of potential.

"We have created something that is set to be the complete source of anything food. With our 24hr live streaming and dedicated online cooking channel, The Restaurant Experience will be the only trusted global interactive food hub available.

Keen foodies will be able to register their interest in the project at http://www.the-restaurant-experience.com/
http://www.eatoutmagazine.co.uk/onli...E2%80%99/15375
flange está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2012, 05:05 PM   #27
fazaz

It is the Grand Opening of Akbars tonight - which is strictly invite only (i'm going!), and then it opens to the general public at 5pm tomorrow

Looking forward to it - and I strongly recommend everyone gives it a try sooner rather than later
Old March 1st, 2012, 05:09 PM   #28
M_Riaz
MORI

Aye seen an ad in the metro yesterday about Akbars opening tommorow 2nd March, have a good time fazaz, let us know of the quality of food and place , i'm hoping to visit Akbars soon myself.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM   #29
Mr Lee

Likes (Received): 2

Looking forward to trying out Akbars, Please let us know how your meal went Fazaz!
Mr Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #30
fazaz

The launch went great - think there was about £2,000,000 worth of Rolls Royce Phantoms parked in a line right outside!! I counted at least 5 in a row, plus an R8 convertible, Lambo Gallardo!

It was more a networking type standing around event, with some very fine looking ladies walking around with trays of food - and it was lovely to say the least.

I am a regular at their English branches, and the food has never once let me down. I am going down tonight for a proper meal now that it is open to the public

Highly recommend the masala fish / lamb chops starters, and for mains I can't get enough of the keema mattar (mince & peas), and don't even get me started on their desserts.....

Fantastic looking decor - no expense spared. I am sure you will all be very impressed. Akbars is fast becoming a sort of experience, as opposed to just good food
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM   #31
Ultima
Consider Deleted

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazaz View Post
The launch went great - think there was about £2,000,000 worth of Rolls Royce Phantoms parked in a line right outside!! I counted at least 5 in a row, plus an R8 convertible, Lambo Gallardo!

It was more a networking type standing around event, with some very fine looking ladies walking around with trays of food - and it was lovely to say the least.

I am a regular at their English branches, and the food has never once let me down. I am going down tonight for a proper meal now that it is open to the public

Highly recommend the masala fish / lamb chops starters, and for mains I can't get enough of the keema mattar (mince & peas), and don't even get me started on their desserts.....

Fantastic looking decor - no expense spared. I am sure you will all be very impressed. Akbars is fast becoming a sort of experience, as opposed to just good food
Doesn't sound like my kind of place at all. I'll avoid it. Like the plague.
Ultima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM   #32
Squirrelking
Consider deleted

Likes (Received): 242

Sounds awesome, did they do burnouts on homeless peoples faces before setting them on fire with their Dunhills?

**** THE POOR!
Squirrelking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 12:14 PM   #33
fazaz

Come on on guys - not exactly anything to do with the restaurant itself if all these well off people attended the launch night!

Give it a go - very reasonable prices! And licensed, unlike some other popular Indian Restaurant's these days

I was there last night for a proper meal and loved it as always, and am most likely going back again tonight - and that is on top of me going at least once a week to their English branches!! (i work in England during the week)
Old March 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #34
Ultima
Consider Deleted

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazaz View Post
Come on on guys - not exactly anything to do with the restaurant itself if all these well off people attended the launch night!

Give it a go - very reasonable prices! And licensed, unlike some other popular Indian Restaurant's these days

I was there last night for a proper meal and loved it as always, and am most likely going back again tonight - and that is on top of me going at least once a week to their English branches!! (i work in England during the week)
Do you work for Akbar's?
Ultima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM   #35
fazaz

Nope - I own my own business in Glasgow & Newcastle

Nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about my favourite Indian place. Check my other posts, I am just as enthusiastic about Krispy Kreme!

Haha
Old March 11th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #36
Squirrelking
Consider deleted

Likes (Received): 242

I see O Sole Mio has had a refurb, looking good for it.
Squirrelking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:57 AM   #37
Pious Fraud

Likes (Received): 853

Spring is on its way!

Good place for a wee swally...

West Brewery

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.westbeer.com/index.html
Pious Fraud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #38
gme

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pious Fraud View Post
Spring is on its way!

Good place for a wee swally...

http://www.westbeer.com/index.html
Love it - both your enthusiasm and the place! Zum Wohl!
gme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #39
Mixer1981

Likes (Received): 12

Not sure if this will interest anyone...

The Sub Club on Jamaica Street has just reached it's 25th birthday!

One of, if not THE best club in Glasgow. We need a few more like these and less Savoys!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/showbiz...6908-23823212/
Mixer1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 12:07 AM   #40
M_Riaz
MORI

Looks like the Aniesland Cross Toilets are being converted to a an Italian restaurant.

Image by Doorstop

image hosted on flickr

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: