daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #1
jukeboxromeo

Likes (Received): 6

Rainforest Chapels

Quote:
It was under the most difficult circumstances that, in 1854, the Rev. Raynard built St. Saviour's Church in the gold-rush town of Barkerville, British Columbia. He was determined to open for services on Christmas Day, and did so with no roof and deep snow on the floor. The stains of the snow on the walls can be seen to this day. I have visited Barkerville many times and St. Saviour's is an inspiration.

The building of Chapel-in-the-Clouds, which took me 12-months working almost every day without leaving the site, was also under difficult circumstances. It was started in the rainy season (a particularly wet one!) and rained for about eighty days out of the first ninety. The steeply sloping site of about 40-degrees also made working arduous and greatly influenced the design, character, and visual appearance. Although the chapel is small and intimate by intent - it seats 24, with a further 10 or more standing - it covers five storeys from the lower level with font and fountains up to the three-storey tower. Oxen and packhorses were used extensively for hauling materials and the wood was sawn on site from trees that came down in an avalanche 18-months earlier. Cedar shingles were used exclusively for the roof. The chapel dominates the gardens and ponds fronting it, and the bell tower acts as a beacon and sentinel over the distant hills.

Last edited by jukeboxromeo; December 1st, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
jukeboxromeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #2
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58028

Really nice and cozy looking church, an interesting topic as well. Any more examples?

Did you take those photos yourself? You have to credit your sources.

And where is it situated?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 01:34 AM   #3
Paper Ninja

Likes (Received): 100

Thorncrown Chapel, Eureka Springs, Arkansas

http://www.thorncrown.com/photogallery.htm
Paper Ninja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:47 PM   #4
jukeboxromeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Really nice and cozy looking church, an interesting topic as well. Any more examples?

Did you take those photos yourself? You have to credit your sources.

And where is it situated?
I took those photos myself! My father built it.

It's situated in the tropical cloudforest of Costa Rica, way up in the Talamanca Mountains.
Old December 1st, 2011, 09:52 PM   #5
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58028

You've got such an interesting story behind this church - and yet you don't tell your visitors anything about it for your introduction? But thank you, anyway. Really interesting.

Is there an actual Christian community in the area? How many people are living in this rather uninhabitated region?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2011, 10:05 PM   #6
jukeboxromeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
You've got such an interesting story behind this church - and yet you don't tell your visitors anything about it for your introduction? But thank you, anyway. Really interesting.

Is there an actual Christian community in the area? How many people are living in this rather uninhabitated region?
Good point, I've included the 'story' of it which I took off our website.

The Chapel itself is on a private 2000-acre reserve on which only my father lives. The nearest 'village' is about 2km away, accessible only by quad-bike. The nearest town (for supplies, etc) is around 2 hours' drive on a winding dirt road.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Krases

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Ninja View Post
Thorncrown Chapel, Eureka Springs, Arkansas
I love that architecture. Really inspiring. Usually I don't like modern churches, I usually prefer older more classically styled ones, but this one is awesome.
Krases no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #8
archchirps

Likes (Received): 0

Chapel in the Clouds re-posted on social media

Hello, I've posted this amazingly beautiful church on my Facebook page here and given credit to JukeBoxRomeo who has said he was involved in its construction: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6039526&type=1

This church and its surroundings are way too beautiful not to resist sharing it but please if you do mind, let me know and I will delete the entry. I will also be pinning the photos to pinterest and link back to the author on this page of course.
archchirps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #9
archchirps

Likes (Received): 0

I noticed that this Chapel-in-the-Clouds is now for sale? It's listed for $1,800,000 (USD, I presume). Here's the link where I saw it: http://www.rainforestproperties.com/...d-2013-80.html
archchirps no está en línea   Reply With Quote