daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:38 PM   #41
odlum833

Likes (Received): 552

James McClean, Robbie Brady and Leon Best are 3 players i'd like to at least see tested before Euro 2012. I have a feeling the younger players will have to wait till the World Cup Qualifying. Doubt any them will get into the squad in time for Poland/Ukraine.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #42
JD47

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
James McClean, Robbie Brady and Leon Best are 3 players i'd like to at least see tested before Euro 2012. I have a feeling the younger players will have to wait till the World Cup Qualifying. Doubt any them will get into the squad in time for Poland/Ukraine.
James McCarthy might get in the squad that is if he wants to actually play for us.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:19 PM   #43
thebig C

Likes (Received): 125

I was just talking about this with my mate last night (who is actually half Italian)...he reckons having watched Trappatoni for years that he is inately too cautious to start trying players out now. So, I think you are spot on Odlum, it will be World Cup qualifiers before some younger guys break through. Probably not before time when you look at the ages of some of the squad.

JD, I think McCarthy was given a brief 5min cap in an international...so he is committed to us

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:20 PM   #44
thebig C

Smile

Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:21 PM   #45
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
If he comes back to the squad I will not watch Ireland play in the Euro's.
He is a dickhead and him in an Ireland shirt would make me sick.
There are kids who would dream of putting on a green shirt and I was one of them and he gets the chance and he ruins it for himself.
absolutely, there are guys in the Airtricity League who would give their right arm to sit on the bench for the National team let alone get the opportuinity that Stephen Ireland blew!
Old January 25th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #46
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
absolutely, there are guys in the Airtricity League who would give their right arm to sit on the bench for the National team let alone get the opportuinity that Stephen Ireland blew!
Yeah I tell you one thing C we would have more sense then the fotballers going around today. Its all about money to them. I would pay to play for my club and country
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #47
odlum833

The squad for the friendly v Czech Republic is being named on Friday. Probably the only chance for fringe players to try stake a claim before the Euro squad is announced.

James McClean has the best chance of getting into the squad (scored again yesterday, looking a real good player) but it still seems unlikely. Stephen Hunt would probably have to make way to accommodate him.

I'd like to see Gibson/McCarthy midfield aswell in the friendlies. Give them a chance, see what their like. Coleman should get his chance aswell. Cracking little player. How he has not made the squad yet is beyond me.

Old February 5th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #48
JD47

James McCarthy is a savage player and would be great for Ireland but the problem is that knowone knows if he wants to play for us or not.
Old February 5th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #49
odlum833

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
James McCarthy is a savage player and would be great for Ireland but the problem is that knowone knows if he wants to play for us or not.
He does. He's already capped. Trapattoni knows he is a fine prospect but i'm not sure he is the type of midfielder he wants. He has been injured so that's why he has not been in the team recently.

Old February 5th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #50
JD47

Quote:
He does. He's already capped. Trapattoni knows he is a fine prospect but i'm not sure he is the type of midfielder he wants. He has been injured so that's why he has not been in the team recently.
Oh yeah I know he has been capped but I do remember a few times that it was said he was not playing because he was tired or he was not in the mood.
That is ridiculas if that is true.
I would give my right arm to play for Ireland in a friendly against a team like Andorra let alone a major competition.
Old February 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #51
odlum833

That was for the Carling Nations Cup. Quite a number of players did not turn up for that. I think Darron Gibson also missed a match for some strange reason along with a few others.

McCarthy still has alot to prove. He has not lived up to the hype as of yet and therefore, whilst I think he should be on the plane, he should not start any games in Euro 2012. Don't think he has earned that yet. He needs to do more and prove he is capable of being the holding midfielder Trapattoni wants and that he will burst a gut to track back and defend. Slick passing and getting forward is not good enough in our system unless he can play the holding role aswell.

P.S looks like McClean is going to get his opportunity to impress v Czech Republic. Hope he takes it. Stephen Hunt's posistion might be under threat.

Old February 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #52
JD47

Quote:

P.S looks like McClean is going to get his opportunity to impress v Czech Republic. Hope he takes it. Stephen Hunt's posistion might be under threat.
Yeah he has been good lately. We might have a chance at the Euro's.
Ireland play better against the big teams.
Old February 7th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #53
odlum833

Headline in one of todays papers suggests Stephen Ireland just wants a phone call and he is in for Euro 2012 - that's according to his girlfriend.

The fact he thinks he might get in the squad is just as strange as the car he drives.

Last edited by odlum833; February 7th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.
Old February 7th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #54
JD47

Quote:
Headline in one of todays papers suggests Stephen Ireland just wants a phone call and he is in for Euro 2012 - that's according to his girlfriend.

The fact he thinks he might get in the squad is just as strange as the car he drives.
I said that if we qualified for a major competition he would want in.
If he goes to the Euro's with us I might not even watch them.
Trap will make the right decision and tell him to fuck off.
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #55
odlum833

Old February 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #56
JD47

Quote:
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #57
odlum833

I see James McClean and Shane Duffy both getting awful abuse on twitter from Northern Ireland "fans". Very bitter. Shame they don't realise that it's that abuse that is leading all these players to declare for the Republic. Awful stuff.

Old February 8th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #58
JD47

Quote:
I see James McClean and Shane Duffy both getting awful abuse on twitter from Northern Ireland "fans". Very bitter. Shame they don't realise that it's that abuse that is leading all these players to declare for the Republic. Awful stuff.
Yeah I heard of that.
I would say to them to keep it up and we will take all their talent.
They slag a great footballer from the North and he declares for the Republic and wins us games sounds great to me.
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #59
thebig C

Quote:
Completely counter productive if they are trying supposedly to get players to play for them. The new manager Michael O'Neill (who I have alot of time for) has stated that he is going to take a different approach to signing players up. Including, giving caps to LOI players. I'd imagine he will be more concilliaory then Worthington but still it will be hard to change the fans mindset.
Old February 9th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #60
thebig C

BTW....thanks for posting the illustration above Odlum...sh1t myself laughing at that

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: