daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum

Irish Architecture Forum For architecture in both the North and South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #81
thebig C

Likes (Received): 146

No major surprizes, apart from James McCarthy ruling himself out due to his father being seriously ill with cancer.

The one odd selection was Fahy, who I've heard is a serious injury doubt. There are four alternates.....one of which is Coleman so hopefully he does get the chance to join the squad. I believe it can be changed until relatively close to the Competition start.

James McClean is included.....to the delight of many. You couldn't really ignore him given the form he is in!!

C
thebig C no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 9th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #82
odlum833

Likes (Received): 686

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...p-3102466.html

I think we can safely say he made the right choice.

Carlos Puyol look doubtful for Spain. Has a knee injury.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596

Last edited by odlum833; May 9th, 2012 at 12:26 AM.
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #83
JD47

Likes (Received): 191

Cant wait for the Euro's to start. It gives us something to look forward to for a few weeks at least. I will enjoy it anyway.
JD47 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #84
odlum833

Superb performance today.

ROI 1 (Long) - Bosnia Herz 0

Should have been 4 or 5. McGeady should wear those pink boots more often

Old May 26th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #85
JD47

Good result today. We could of scored more though. Lets hope we can put a few more away when the Euro's come around. The first game is the most important for us. If we win that then we will have all the confidence to go get a draw against one of the other two maybe even a sneak win against Italy if we are lucky.
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #86
odlum833

McGeady and McClean are going to make a big impact on the tournament! If that's the way McGeady reacts to Roy Keane taking crap about him I hope he continues talking tbh !

Old May 28th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #87
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2424

Quote:
Euro 2012 should not have been awarded to Poland and Ukraine because of entrenched racism and violence, Sol Campbell has told the BBC's Panorama.

The former England captain's advice to fans is to "stay home, watch it on TV... don't even risk it."

Uefa, European football's governing body, said awarding the tournament to the two nations was an opportunity to tackle social challenges like racism.

It said the tournament was a chance for both countries to improve their image.

Panorama spent a month filming at matches in both the joint host nations and witnessed Nazi salutes from the terraces, black players being taunted with monkey chants, rampant anti-Semitism and a vicious assault on a group of Asian students.
BBC News

Shocking the tournament is even being hosted there.

:: Northern Ireland Forum ::
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #88
odlum833

I had an inkling that trouble might be possible in Ukraine. I remember at the draw praying we are not based in Ukraine. 30,000 fans est to be heading over. By all accounts they seem to have very vicious gangs of all sorts. Thankfully we are not based in Ukraine at least for the group stage. :/

Having said that some Polish supporters have a reputation too.

P.S look out for naked women protests in Ukraine!

Last edited by odlum833; May 28th, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #89
JD47

It was a shocking decision to award it to these two countries. Violence is a huge part of the game and some fans are not travelling now because of these gobshites in the Ukraine. They wont stop me from going I will tell you that. I am not afraid of a few skinhead Nazi loving fools.
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:52 PM   #90
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47 View Post
It was a shocking decision to award it to these two countries. Violence is a huge part of the game and some fans are not travelling now because of these gobshites in the Ukraine. They wont stop me from going I will tell you that. I am not afraid of a few skinhead Nazi loving fools.
You heading over?? Fair play mate. I was thinking about it but we himmed and hawed so much that by the time we started looking seriously the prices had skyrocketed.

Funily enough, a Polish girl I know lives within spitting distance of the Stadium! Also, another Polish guy offered to get me tickets, aparently he used to play in the Polish 2nd Division.....he has tickets for all of Polands games, the Quarters and Semis!!

C
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:01 PM   #91
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I had an inkling that trouble might be possible in Ukraine. I remember at the draw praying we are not based in Ukraine. 30,000 fans est to be heading over. By all accounts they seem to have very vicious gangs of all sorts. Thankfully we are not based in Ukraine at least for the group stage. :/

Having said that some Polish supporters have a reputation too.

P.S look out for naked women protests in Ukraine!
Wish we had a few Naked Women protests over here Although, I'd say the Ukrainian girls are a bit fitter

Football Violence is definately a problem in Poland. I don't have the latest figures but in the early 2000s there were 13 football related deaths in one season!

Alot of this stems from the Communist times. Due to economics and travel restrictions meaning that going to away games was difficult, Fan Groups formed alliances with teams at opposite ends of the Country as a means of support. So for example, if Craicova were playing Legia Warsaw....all of the Polonia Warsaw supporters would turn up to "cheer on" Craicova. Obviously, this had the effect of turning run of the mill games into bitter local derbys! Also, the fact the the Communist media often didn't report on football violence meant that it developed unchecked!

I Ukraine the reasons are a bit more straightforward. Often you have conflict between ethnic Ukrainians and ethnic Russians. But you also have basic Neo Nazism.

Having said all that, I think Ireland will at least get a decent reception in Polska.

C
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:02 PM   #92
thebig C

The only dreadful news I have heard thus far is that with Foley injured.......Paul McShane is in the squad!!!!!!!:O
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:38 PM   #93
JD47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebig C View Post
You heading over?? Fair play mate. I was thinking about it but we himmed and hawed so much that by the time we started looking seriously the prices had skyrocketed.
C
I dont know yet. The tickets are there for me but I dont know if I can go yet.
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:43 AM   #94
thebig C

Quote:
I dont know yet. The tickets are there for me but I dont know if I can go yet.
Can't get out of work or girlfriend doesn't trust you with all the Polish girls?
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:22 AM   #95
JD47

Quote:
Can't get out of work or girlfriend doesn't trust you with all the Polish girls?
A bit of both. I also think my family think I am a hooligan. I dont know why though.
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:09 AM   #96
odlum833

Quote:
The only dreadful news I have heard thus far is that with Foley injured.......Paul McShane is in the squad!!!!!!!:O
And Coleman, Clarke and Holohan no where near the squad! He won't get a second on the pitch - don't worry but any excuse to post this

Given and O'Shea have returned to training.

Last edited by odlum833; June 1st, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:18 PM   #97
odlum833

Trapattoni seems to be getting irritated with some of the hacks

Italy??? I highly doubt this is remotely serious.

http://www.football-italia.net/19449...eave-euro-2012

Last edited by odlum833; June 1st, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:26 PM   #98
JD47

So what will happen if Italy do leave the Euro's?

Even if Italy do compete I think we can knock them out because they are vulnerable at the moment which could be a good thing for us.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:53 PM   #99
thebig C

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
And Coleman, Clarke and Holohan no where near the squad! He won't get a second on the pitch - don't worry but any excuse to post this

Given and O'Shea have returned to training.
haha...thats great
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM   #100
thebig C

Quote:
So what will happen if Italy do leave the Euro's?

Even if Italy do compete I think we can knock them out because they are vulnerable at the moment which could be a good thing for us.
Yep, I would fancy us to get points from Italy. The lads 3 games against them have been one win and two draws for us. I think Trap being so knowledgable about their setup helps.

BTW, hypothetically if Italy were banned from the tournament there is a precedent. In 1992, Yugoslavia had to drop out due to the War so their spot was awarded to Denmark who finished behind them in the group stages, I presume if they advanced via play-off then the play-off oponent get the spot. FYI, Denmark ended up winning the Euros in 1992 despite only having a couple of days preparation! Then again they did have the Laudrup brothers and Henrik Larsen on their team

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: