daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #1
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

[EURO2012] Ask Poland & Ukraine

This thread will be devoted to all possible questions related with Polish and Ukrainian road infrastructure during Euro 2012, especially:
  • what is the best route to
  • speed limits and dealing with police
  • driving regulations and customs
  • where to eat
  • motorway toll
  • road surface

Special note for Western Europeans:

Don't be afraid to ask any questions concerning a stereotypical view of Central/Eastern Europe, cause otherwise you may never be proven wrong.

I would like to remind everyone that this thread is not meant to show Poland superiority over Ukraine - all posts that deliberlately break this rule will be deleted and authors brigged.

Last edited by PLH; December 7th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Klukas

Likes (Received): 2283

Could someone tell me which would be the best (shortest in hours) road route to reach Poznan from Zagreb, Croatia (Euro 2012). If I got it right there is no direct motorway connection to Poznan from Checz/Slovakia. Thank you!

Klukas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #3
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Go via either Vienna or Bratislava to Brno, then to Gliwice, then to Wrocław, then Poznań. The new D1/A1 motorway at the CZ/PL border should open before Euro 2012. A significant section of the S5 under construction between Wrocław and Poznań is due to be completed in October 2012 and which I guess will probably be opened temporarily on a limited basis for Euro 2012. The trip should take about 10-11 hours, but there could be extra traffic because of Euro 2012.

mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #4
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

a) PL: When shall the A4 Wrocław-Katowice become a toll motorway
b) UA: How does it currently look to drive from L'viv to Kyiv ?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #5
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19428

The main route into Ukraine for Euro 2012 fans from western Europe is via M06 from L'viv to Kiev.

According to data found on Google Earth and photos;

* M10 Polish border - L'viv: two-lane, condition unknown
* M06 L'viv - Rivne: mainly two-lane
* M06 Rivne - Zhytomyr: mostly four-lane
* M06 Zhytomyr - Kiev: fully four-lane

The northern route via M07 is probably less attractive because the entire route is two-lane, but I've read it was repaved this year and ought to be in good condition.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17514

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
a) PL: When shall the A4 Wrocław-Katowice become a toll motorway
A4 Wrocław-Gliwice become a toll motrway in summer 2012. This part of A4 had to became a toll motrway in the beginning of the 2012, but there was some delays in construction. Gliwice-Katowice will be free of toll for cars <3,5t
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #7
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

I want to ask a question which could sounds stereotypical. I heard, and also my polish friends said it, that in Poland there's high risk of car theft (especially in the eastern part). Is it true? Better to leave the car into a secure parking or you can also leave it along the road?
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Schweden
Registered Loser

Likes (Received): 40

The thing I noticed about Poland is the "traffic tempo". You always need to stay alert, while in Sweden, you can drive quite relaxed. Suddenly there are overtaking cars driving in the opposite direction right in front of you - they are expecting you to use the shoulder.
Schweden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #9
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

I find a very good idea to open a thread for major sport events when they are going to be played in several cities.

I've made some calculations:

For the first phase (three matches on groups), Czech Republic, Spain and Sweeden will not move anywhere (all matches at Wroclaw, Gdansk and Kyiv.

The team that will have to move longer is Germany. First match at Lviv, Second match at Kharkiv, third one at Lviv. More than 2.000 km go and return Lviv.

About second phase (quarter final) obviously it depends if finishing in first or second position...
but considering if first position... Spain should have to move 727 (from Gdansk to Donestk), Czech Rep will move 343 km (Wroclaw to Warsaw) and Sweeden... will remain at Kyiv for one round more, 0 km

The trips to arrive, obviously longer from Lisbon and Dublin.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #10
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
I want to ask a question which could sounds stereotypical. I heard, and also my polish friends said it, that in Poland there's high risk of car theft (especially in the eastern part). Is it true? Better to leave the car into a secure parking or you can also leave it along the road?
Car theft in Poland was a big problem in the 90', but it is all in the past now, car theft rates are at more-or-less Western European rates.

Police statistics registered 16098 car thefts in year 2010 for 19 million registered cars. (Detailed statistics in Polish here) You can google the statistics for your own country and compare the risk etween for yourself.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:26 AM   #11
uunxx

Likes (Received): 506

Quote:
According to Eurostat you should be more worried staying at home: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/sta..._2002-2008.PNG
Car theft in Poland is actually quite low, Poles seem to be the biggest believers of false stereotypes about own country. Of course you have to be careful everywhere as there's no guarantee something nasty won't happen to you.
Here are stats about most often stolen car models in Poland:
http://www.statystyka.policja.pl/por..._2010_rok.html
uunxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #12
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Thanks for the answers! My car is not in the list

Are there particular tricks with the intent to stop a driver and hold-up? Like false accidents, false checking controls.... in Italy one of the most common is that a moto hits your side mirror to make you take down the window to settle it again. When you do it, another moto passes to steal your watch.... what about there?
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:27 AM   #13
andy5

Likes (Received): 6

Not a question for here, but I think the England team might be needing some advice on travelling between Kraków and Donetsk and Kyiv.

I don't know why they wouldn't change arrangements after the draw came out.

I'm wondering if any of the UK's sports presenters will ever pronounce even Kraków correctly; you can imagine how badly they do with Łódź, 3 pronunciation mistakes in 4 letters.

Anyway, this map showing main routes might be interesting, from Wikipedia, though obviously Google Maps might be favourite

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...012_pluken.png
andy5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #14
areal51

Likes (Received): 89

the best road from (Romania-) Chisinau (Moldova) to Donetk? some ideas? We have/won 4 tickets to the 2nd semifinal on 28th june.
EXCEPT TRANSNISTRIA!!!!!! Thx.
areal51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 04:24 AM   #15
I-275westcoastfl

Likes (Received): 790

I really hope I'll be able to ask questions about this(in other words go to Poland this summer )
I-275westcoastfl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #16
and802

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Thanks for the answers! My car is not in the list

Are there particular tricks with the intent to stop a driver and hold-up? Like false accidents, false checking controls.... in Italy one of the most common is that a moto hits your side mirror to make you take down the window to settle it again. When you do it, another moto passes to steal your watch.... what about there?
Poland is not a leader in car thief invention. if you know the tricks which work in your country, most probably you can spot them in Poland as well.
all in all - as said above Poland is safe. I would say if euro 2012 had been placed in the UK, I would have worried much more - statistics are terrible there
and802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #17
alserrod
Bienvenue ŕ Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5 View Post
Not a question for here, but I think the England team might be needing some advice on travelling between Kraków and Donetsk and Kyiv.

I don't know why they wouldn't change arrangements after the draw came out.

I'm wondering if any of the UK's sports presenters will ever pronounce even Kraków correctly; you can imagine how badly they do with Łódź, 3 pronunciation mistakes in 4 letters.

Anyway, this map showing main routes might be interesting, from Wikipedia, though obviously Google Maps might be favourite

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...012_pluken.png

I remember that for one football competition, the Spanish organization studied all cities where playing to have a look to possible hotels, stages, etc... before knowing the group they had and the cities to play.
They had booked a hotel in each possible city to play for using it in case that the group was based there.

And also locations for stages near several stadiums...

And later to decide which hotels they get finnally.

In this case they had very easy. Only four groups and two host countries. It is known where the host countries will play so they knew that only two options were possible (even for Spain and the Netherlands).

They had the good luck to not to move in the first phase.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #18
PLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweden View Post
The thing I noticed about Poland is the "traffic tempo". You always need to stay alert, while in Sweden, you can drive quite relaxed. Suddenly there are overtaking cars driving in the opposite direction right in front of you - they are expecting you to use the shoulder.
Yeah, this is an important issue.

I've noriced a general improvement through a few last years and such manovers are becoming rare and rare.

However, you must always be prepared that someone will not finish overtaking soon enough or deliberately make you move to the hard shoulder. Feel free to flash your light as this is not seen as generally acceptable.

What is more, you must not use the hard shoulder in any case, especially in order to let people behind you pass.

Even a dashed line does not implicate additional lane:

--------------

Always keep an eye on these behind you - never brake very rapidly because of speed limits (but of course do it eventually).

General rule - truck drivers, white van men and company car drivers are the ones to cause most trouble (in this order).
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #19
PLH

Now a few words about speed limits.

Yo'll se this rather impresive sign at the border:

The difference between 90 and 100 on normal roads and 100 ans 120 on expressways is as follows:

Higher speed limit applies when the road has at least two lanes in one direction and opposite directions are divided by a barrier or grass.

--------------

Unlike in Western Europe, speed limits are cancelled by every road crossing or end-of-the-limit signs.

--------------

This sign does not implicate build up area and 50 km/h speed limit:

This one does:

-------------

Lights are mandatory 24/7. Day lights possible
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #20
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
This sign does not implicate build up area and 50 km/h speed limit:

This one does:
Thank you for this information. In my country it's different: you can see only #1 or a combination of #1 + #2, but both variants say that the speed limit is 50 km/h.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote